|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
2. Which of the following is NOT listed as a flat-color master?
3. Flat color can make shapes, figures and backgrounds more ________.
4. Pictures and words should have what kind of relationship?
5. Which of the following contributed to the shift in resemblance towards meaning in art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
2. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
3. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
4. Describe the origin of words.
5. Describe the difference between the additive primaries and the subtractive primaries.
6. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
7. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
8. Describe the typical artist who starts with an idea/purpose and then creates art.
9. What three aspects of art benefit humans from an evolutionary standpoint?
10. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The invention of printing played a significant role in the history and the world of comics (and the written word). Think of another invention that had a significant impact. What were the effects? Did it solve a problem or enable further development? Where would we be without the invention? Be specific and select a physical invention - do not use "technology" or other broad concepts.
Essay Topic 2
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. Do you think this is a good definition of art? Can you think of how art could be motivated by survival or reproduction?
Essay Topic 3
Eastern and Western approaches to art differ. In graphic arts, for example, Western art often focuses attention to foreground objects only while Eastern art emphasizes both the foreground and the background of negative space. Argue the merits of shortcomings of each approach.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)