|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which style of painting was an honest expression of the internal turmoil of artists?
2. What kind of combination uses words and pictures on separate courses with no intersection?
3. The combination of printed art and literature has traditionally been thought of as a style for which audience?
4. Which artist incorporated neurotic quill-lines into his/her work?
5. Which of the following is NOT a way to vary word balloons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
2. How can words and pictures together create a more meaningful message than each individually?
3. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
4. What are the advantages of color in comics?
5. How can a word balloon vary?
6. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
7. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
8. What three aspects of art benefit humans from an evolutionary standpoint?
9. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
10. What happened to comics after the invention of printing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCloud notes that diagrams are comics, but they do not label themselves as such. How important are labels? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? How does the context that diagrams are presented in make them different from other comics?
Essay Topic 2
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. How do you define art? According to this definition, what are examples of what is and isn't art?
Essay Topic 3
In aspect-to-aspect transitions, McCloud says that nothing "happens." Is presenting different aspects of a place important to storytelling? Why or why not? Do you think McCloud is accurate in saying that this kind of transition does not move the narrative along?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)