|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from the central figure in an image, where else can emotion be depicted?
2. What combination has words that amplify or elaborate on an image, or vice versa?
3. What kind of combination treats words as integral parts of the picture?
4. In the structure of a comic, where can senses and emotions be portrayed?
5. Whose artwork incorporated mad lines to create crazy toddler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an advantage of combining words and pictures together, as in comics?
2. Describe the origin of words.
3. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
4. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
5. Describe the typical artist who starts with an idea/purpose and then creates art.
6. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
7. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
8. What are the disadvantages of color in comics?
9. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
10. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCloud notes that in Eastern art, elements omitted from a work of art are just as important was the work that has been explicitly included. Do you think that missing elements, such as negative space in an image, or silence in a melody, are an important part of art? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. Do you think this is a good definition of art? Can you think of how art could be motivated by survival or reproduction?
Essay Topic 3
Many symbols are used in comics to convey the invisible, such as emotions and feelings. What is required for the creation of a symbol, such as wavy lines representing smell? What is required for this symbol to be sustained over time?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)