|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following contributed to the shift in resemblance towards meaning in art?
2. What is the first step of art creation, the one that contains the work's content, emotions and philosophies?
3. What is the most widely-used, most complex, and most versatile synaesthetic icon?
4. What drawing style did Jooste Swarte use to depict cool sophistication and irony?
5. One property of flat colors is a tendency to emphasize the _____ of animate and inanimate objects
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages of color in comics?
2. Describe the difference between the additive primaries and the subtractive primaries.
3. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
4. What happened to comics after the invention of printing?
5. How can a word balloon vary?
6. Why was the four-color process created?
7. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
8. What is synaesthetics?
9. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
10. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your own words, answer Scott McCloud's question, "Why should we try so hard to understand comics?"
Essay Topic 2
The author notes that comics are not the hybrid of graphics and words. What do you think of this statement? Are comics their own entity? Or do they tend to fall into one category more than the other? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. How do you define art? According to this definition, what are examples of what is and isn't art?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)