|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
2. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
3. The standard ______ color process was introduced to help control color costs and streamline the process.
4. Each new medium begins by imitating its _______.
5. Pictures and words should have what kind of relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
2. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
3. How can a word balloon vary?
4. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
5. What was one result of the color printing used for superheroes?
6. What are the disadvantages of color in comics?
7. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
8. What three aspects of art benefit humans from an evolutionary standpoint?
9. Describe the typical artist who starts with an idea/purpose and then creates art.
10. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. Do you think this is a good definition of art? Can you think of how art could be motivated by survival or reproduction?
Essay Topic 2
McCloud notes that "We see ourselves in everything. We assign identities and emotions where none exist. And we make the world over in our image." Personification is a literary device that demonstrates McCloud's statement. Think of a time where you personified an inanimate object or abstract notion. What was it? What human attributes did you give to it?
Essay Topic 3
McCloud states that "to kill a man between panels is to condemn him to a thousand deaths." What does he mean by this statement? What is the reader's involvement in the space between panels, the gutter?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)