|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the time after the printing press, which art form was obsessed with resemblance, light and color?
2. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
3. Which of the following contributed to the shift in resemblance towards meaning in art?
4. What is the first step of art creation, the one that contains the work's content, emotions and philosophies?
5. What Scottish physicist isolated the three additive primaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
2. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
3. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
4. What is synaesthetics?
5. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
6. Describe the origin of words.
7. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
8. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
9. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
10. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eastern and Western approaches to art differ. In graphic arts, for example, Western art often focuses attention to foreground objects only while Eastern art emphasizes both the foreground and the background of negative space. Argue the merits of shortcomings of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
McCloud argues children are fascinated by the simplicity and universal identification of cartoons and that these characteristics allow the viewer to step inside the cartoon universe. Do you agree that by simplifying the drawing style, one allows the viewer to see the message more clearly? Explain your perspective using examples.
Essay Topic 3
The invention of printing played a significant role in the history and the world of comics (and the written word). Think of another invention that had a significant impact. What were the effects? Did it solve a problem or enable further development? Where would we be without the invention? Be specific and select a physical invention - do not use "technology" or other broad concepts.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)