|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The combination of printed art and literature has traditionally been thought of as a style for which audience?
2. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
3. Each new medium begins by imitating its _______.
4. In what year were the three additive primaries isolated?
5. The bold lines, obtuse angles and heavy blacks in Dick Tracy were meant to suggest a _________ of adults.
Short Essay Questions
1. How can words and pictures together create a more meaningful message than each individually?
2. How can a word balloon vary?
3. Why was the four-color process created?
4. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
5. What was one result of the color printing used for superheroes?
6. Describe the difference between the additive primaries and the subtractive primaries.
7. What happened after the birth of Expressionism?
8. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
9. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
10. What are the disadvantages of color in comics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCloud states that "to kill a man between panels is to condemn him to a thousand deaths." What does he mean by this statement? What is the reader's involvement in the space between panels, the gutter?
Essay Topic 2
New media is often judged by the standards of the old. Do you think these are appropriate standards? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In your own words, answer Scott McCloud's question, "Why should we try so hard to understand comics?"
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)