|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What combination has both words and pictures that send the same message?
2. Who came up with the first symbols to record certain commodities?
3. Comics printing was superior on which continent?
4. What is the first step of art creation, the one that contains the work's content, emotions and philosophies?
5. One property of flat colors is a tendency to emphasize the _____ of animate and inanimate objects
Short Essay Questions
1. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
2. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
3. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
4. How can a word balloon vary?
5. Describe the typical artist who starts with an idea/purpose and then creates art.
6. What was one result of the color printing used for superheroes?
7. What three aspects of art benefit humans from an evolutionary standpoint?
8. Does the six-step path need to be completed in a specific order?
9. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
10. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many symbols are used in comics to convey the invisible, such as emotions and feelings. What is required for the creation of a symbol, such as wavy lines representing smell? What is required for this symbol to be sustained over time?
Essay Topic 2
McCloud argues children are fascinated by the simplicity and universal identification of cartoons and that these characteristics allow the viewer to step inside the cartoon universe. Do you agree that by simplifying the drawing style, one allows the viewer to see the message more clearly? Explain your perspective using examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author notes that comics are not the hybrid of graphics and words. What do you think of this statement? Are comics their own entity? Or do they tend to fall into one category more than the other? Explain your answer
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)