|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following creators is often regarded as a storyteller who says something through comics and controlling their medium?
2. Who drew Dick Tracy?
3. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
4. The four color process on better paper created what kind of results?
5. Which of the following is NOT a way to vary word balloons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an advantage of combining words and pictures together, as in comics?
2. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
3. What are the disadvantages of color in comics?
4. What happened to comics after the invention of printing?
5. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
6. How can a word balloon vary?
7. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
8. Describe the origin of words.
9. What happened after the birth of Expressionism?
10. What is synaesthetics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCloud argues children are fascinated by the simplicity and universal identification of cartoons and that these characteristics allow the viewer to step inside the cartoon universe. Do you agree that by simplifying the drawing style, one allows the viewer to see the message more clearly? Explain your perspective using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Eastern and Western approaches to art differ. In graphic arts, for example, Western art often focuses attention to foreground objects only while Eastern art emphasizes both the foreground and the background of negative space. Argue the merits of shortcomings of each approach.
Essay Topic 3
McCloud states that "to kill a man between panels is to condemn him to a thousand deaths." What does he mean by this statement? What is the reader's involvement in the space between panels, the gutter?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)