|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is brought along on James' reconnaissance mission to find the stolen manuscript?
2. Who does James spot on the other side of the river as the fireworks are beginning to go off?
3. Hugo decided that he wanted to ___________ his life, so he was giving away all of his possessions and money.
4. Where do Mr. Mars and James go before they head out for their next adventure?
5. Who does James bring in the cab with him on the way to the studio where Hugo is at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James notices that Dave always has a lot of friends around, but he does not remain friends with most of them.
Part 1: Why do you think Dave always keeps a lot of people around?
Part 2: Do you prefer to have a lot of friends or just a few close friends? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think James is quick to point out Dave's misgivings in terms of friendship?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)