|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returned, James found out that ________ had taken his share of the racetrack money and had not been heard from since.
2. What is James' reaction to the job offer which comes from Magdalen when he goes to visit her?
3. Where do Mr. Mars and James go before they head out for their next adventure?
4. What is the job that Magdalen is offering to James, giving him the opportunity to make a lot of money for basically no work?
5. James also finds a letter from __________, explaining that he had gone back to Ireland and back to his home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When James realizes that his manuscript may have been stolen, he just concedes to that fact.
Part 1: Why do you think James is pretty calm about someone stealing his work?
Part 2: Would you have been as calm if you found out that someone stole your work? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think James should have reacted to this news? Why?
Essay Topic 2
James suddenly gets inspired to work as an orderly after a period of depression.
Part 1: Do it seem realistic for someone like James to suddenly want to get a job? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think James chose to become an orderly?
Part 3: Do you think James would be a good orderly were he to stick with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James is summoned to Paris by Magdalen, and he decides to go and to meet her there.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen wanted James to come to Paris with her?
Part 2: Would you go to Paris at the summoning of someone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James should have gone to see Magdalen? Why or why not?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)