|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is brought along on James' reconnaissance mission to find the stolen manuscript?
2. What did James find when he walked into Hugo's house? What had taken over the space?
3. Who is the orator in the scene in which James finds himself as he is looking for Hugo?
4. James finds that he has received a letter from ___________, thanking him for his friendship and support.
5. When James told Hugo he would probably be in the hospital for _______ days, Hugo decided to leave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James decides that he just needs to write a play which will reach more people than a novel will.
Part 1: Do you think a novel is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a play is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 3: Which medium is best for political movements: plays or novels? Why?
Essay Topic 2
When James finally comes upon Hugo after his lengthy search, he's not quite sure what to say to him.
Part 1: Why do you think James was so intent on finding Hugo in the story?
Part 2: Why might James have been so nervous upon seeing Hugo again?
Part 3: How might James have started the conversation with Hugo in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)