|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the author of the book which had apparently won an award?
2. Hugo admitted that he had loved _____________, though someone else had loved him - ironically.
3. Who was intent on hearing the orator's speech, so he silenced James when James intended to talk?
4. James also finds a letter from __________, explaining that he had gone back to Ireland and back to his home.
5. James heads back to ___________ flat in order to pack up his things and leave a thank you note.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James notices that Dave always has a lot of friends around, but he does not remain friends with most of them.
Part 1: Why do you think Dave always keeps a lot of people around?
Part 2: Do you prefer to have a lot of friends or just a few close friends? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think James is quick to point out Dave's misgivings in terms of friendship?
Essay Topic 2
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When James realizes that his manuscript may have been stolen, he just concedes to that fact.
Part 1: Why do you think James is pretty calm about someone stealing his work?
Part 2: Would you have been as calm if you found out that someone stole your work? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think James should have reacted to this news? Why?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)