|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James find when he walked into Hugo's house? What had taken over the space?
2. Into whose room does James try to sneak in the middle of the night, much to the displeasure of the patient?
3. Who does James bring in the cab with him on the way to the studio where Hugo is at?
4. When James told Hugo he would probably be in the hospital for _______ days, Hugo decided to leave.
5. James receives a telegram from Magdalen, telling him to come to __________ as quickly as possible.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 2
James wrote a book based on the ideas he cleaned from Hugo, which seemed to cause a divide in their friendship.
Part 1: Why do you think James idolized Hugo so much?
Part 2: Do you believe James had the right to write a book based on Hugo's ideas and thoughts? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Hugo was made at James for writing the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James, when he wakes up in the park, realizes that fate is trying to tell him to fix certain problems in his life.
Part 1: Why do you think James is confident in the idea of fate?
Part 2: Do you believe in the idea of fate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James is correct in thinking that he needs to resolve the past before moving forward? Why or why not?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)