|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James forgot that the day was the announcement of the Prix Goncourt, the annual ______________ award.
2. Where did James and Mr. Mars go after they escaped the riots at the film studio?
3. What is James' reaction to the job offer which comes from Magdalen when he goes to visit her?
4. When he returned, James found out that ________ had taken his share of the racetrack money and had not been heard from since.
5. James assumed his lost friend was just out ___________ and that he would return in a few days.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As James begins to look for Hugo, he realizes that Sadie has locked him in the house, so he needs to pick the locks to get out of the house.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sadie decided to lock James into the house?
Part 2: Do you think Sadie is a crazy person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James should have realized that Sadie might have tried something like that? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James decides that he just needs to write a play which will reach more people than a novel will.
Part 1: Do you think a novel is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a play is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 3: Which medium is best for political movements: plays or novels? Why?
Essay Topic 3
James uses flirting and his appearance in order to get others to do things for him.
Part 1: Would you call James a manipulative person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you use your charms or your appearance to get things you want? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think no one seems to see through James' plots to get what he wants?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)