|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To his amazement, James secured a position as __________ at the hospital immediately.
2. James forgot that the day was the announcement of the Prix Goncourt, the annual ______________ award.
3. James decided that Magdalen had been double-crossed by _____________, who had probably ditched her.
4. Who is brought along on James' reconnaissance mission to find the stolen manuscript?
5. Who is the orator in the scene in which James finds himself as he is looking for Hugo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James uses flirting and his appearance in order to get others to do things for him.
Part 1: Would you call James a manipulative person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you use your charms or your appearance to get things you want? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think no one seems to see through James' plots to get what he wants?
Essay Topic 2
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James seems to be interested initially in the idea of acting as Sadie's bodyguard in exchange for living in her home.
Part 1: Why do you think James is interested in becoming another's bodyguard?
Part 2: Do you think James would make a good bodyguard? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Sadie feels she needs a bodyguard in order to be safe?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)