|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was intent on hearing the orator's speech, so he silenced James when James intended to talk?
2. ___________ had been the most important thing in the world to James, he realizes after refusing the job.
3. Into whose room does James try to sneak in the middle of the night, much to the displeasure of the patient?
4. What did James find when he walked into Hugo's house? What had taken over the space?
5. When he returned, James found out that ________ had taken his share of the racetrack money and had not been heard from since.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James notices that Dave always has a lot of friends around, but he does not remain friends with most of them.
Part 1: Why do you think Dave always keeps a lot of people around?
Part 2: Do you prefer to have a lot of friends or just a few close friends? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think James is quick to point out Dave's misgivings in terms of friendship?
Essay Topic 2
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)