|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James decided the only thing for him to do was to go out for ___________ with Mr. Mars.
2. What is James' reaction to the job offer which comes from Magdalen when he goes to visit her?
3. Hugo tells James that it is really ____________ who is in love with him, rather than who James loved.
4. Hugo admitted that he had loved _____________, though someone else had loved him - ironically.
5. James also finds a letter from __________, explaining that he had gone back to Ireland and back to his home.
Essay Topic 1
James seems to be a man who wants to always get things from others, though he does not seem as keen to give others things in return.
Part 1: Why do you think James seems to be such a mooch?
Part 2: Why do you think James does not seem to give anything in return for what he has been given?
Part 3: Could you be friends with James? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 3
James uses flirting and his appearance in order to get others to do things for him.
Part 1: Would you call James a manipulative person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you use your charms or your appearance to get things you want? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think no one seems to see through James' plots to get what he wants?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)