|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna was glad to see James, but rebuffed his attempts to talk about _______________.
2. James recalls a time when Magdalen destroyed a manuscript of his ___________ that might have been an epic.
3. James realizes that he hates ____________ though he fears intimacy.
4. ___________ was giving James huge hints and although he did not understand what was to come next, he knew he had to fix problems in the meantime.
5. James was not insulted by the offering of Sammy, but he did need the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sadie want James to move into her house a little earlier than he expected?
2. What did Anna reveal to James about a possible home situation he could use in this book?
3. What does Dave think James needs to do in order to get rid of his angst in this book?
4. What does James decide to do as he is sitting and drinking coffee with Dave in this book?
5. What did James do to Anna as he felt that they would be conversing like two old acquaintances in a few moments?
6. What was in the bundle of letters that Finn was holding for James in this book?
7. Why did the guard eventually let James into the film studio where Hugo is working in this book?
8. What was James' new job at the hospital where he secured employment in this book?
9. How would James describe Anna when he first sees her as he walks into the room?
10. What does James suddenly think might happen as he is on the way to take Mr. Mars to Sammy's flat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James seems to be a man who wants to always get things from others, though he does not seem as keen to give others things in return.
Part 1: Why do you think James seems to be such a mooch?
Part 2: Why do you think James does not seem to give anything in return for what he has been given?
Part 3: Could you be friends with James? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)