|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lefty Todd was the eccentric leader of the New Independent ______________.
2. All that Sadie and Sammy apparently need is for ________ to sign on the dotted line.
3. What is the outcome of James' placing a bet with Sammy after receiving unexpected money?
4. Lefty said he'd heard that ___________ was a talented man who was too lazy to work.
5. What does Magdalen say will happen if James comes by the house after the next week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the guard eventually let James into the film studio where Hugo is working in this book?
2. What does James do as he begins to settle into his new home at Sadie's flat in this book?
3. What is the reason for the festivities in Paris on the day that James contemplates the way he turned down the job?
4. What is James afraid has been stolen from him when he was living at Magdalen's?
5. What is the next idea of James when Dave will not let him stay at his house in this book?
6. What did Sadie tell James about Mr. Mars in a letter addressed to James in this book?
7. What did Anna reveal to James about a possible home situation he could use in this book?
8. What does James notice in the middle of the top shelf when he wakes up in the chair at Sadie's?
9. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
10. What is James convinced that fate is trying to do for him in his life in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James realizes that his memories for Anna have been transformed by the end of the book.
Part 1: Why do you think James wanted to be with Anna in the first place?
Part 2: Do you think Anna and James would have made a good couple? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think James' feelings change?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)