|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James realizes that he hates ____________ though he fears intimacy.
2. Who does James recognized Sadie's boss to be, even though he has taken on a new name?
3. Onto what does James throw Anna in order to keep the conversation from being too boring?
4. James concluded that Sadie must be ___________ about the stalking situation, so he agreed to help.
5. James and Lefty decide to buy four bottles of ______________ and to head out to continue their talks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James convinced that fate is trying to do for him in his life in this book?
2. What was James' new job at the hospital where he secured employment in this book?
3. What does James find when he gets to the location where Anna had asked to meet him?
4. What does Finn inform James at the start of the book, setting off a chain of events in this book?
5. What are Sammy and Sadie talking about as James is outside the house, eavesdropping?
6. What do Lefty and James realize about each other the more they talk to each other?
7. What is the reason for the festivities in Paris on the day that James contemplates the way he turned down the job?
8. What did Hugo and James agree was an ironic twist in their love relationships in this book?
9. What happened when the group of men got to Hugo's door? What did they find?
10. What does Anna's explanation reveal to James by means of a note addressed to him in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James running into the arrangement of masks seems to be a symbolic scene.
Part 1: How does James wear a mask in his own life during the story?
Part 2: Why might it be symbolic for Anna to work in a place which has masks at its entryway?
Part 3: Do you think everyone wears a mask at some point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James and his friends seem to want to find adventures wherever they can, heading out on missions to find people, picking locks, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think the men are always looking for adventures in their life?
Part 2: Do you think the men in the story should be spending their time otherwise? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do the men in the story seem mature? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When James finally comes upon Hugo after his lengthy search, he's not quite sure what to say to him.
Part 1: Why do you think James was so intent on finding Hugo in the story?
Part 2: Why might James have been so nervous upon seeing Hugo again?
Part 3: How might James have started the conversation with Hugo in a different way?
This section contains 1,933 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)