|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ was giving James huge hints and although he did not understand what was to come next, he knew he had to fix problems in the meantime.
2. ___________, it is agreed, has the ability to help the Socialist party with his writing.
3. Lefty said he'd heard that ___________ was a talented man who was too lazy to work.
4. Where do the men decide to head out for a brief dip in the water?
5. Who does James find in Magdalen's house when he goes back for this things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James do when he happens upon a hospital during a long walk with Mr. Mars?
2. What does James find when he gets to the location where Anna had asked to meet him?
3. What are Sammy and Sadie talking about as James is outside the house, eavesdropping?
4. What does James do as he begins to settle into his new home at Sadie's flat in this book?
5. Why does Sadie want James to move into her house a little earlier than he expected?
6. What did James find upon arriving at Hugo's flat during his wanderings around town?
7. What does James typically do for a living although he is actually a writer by trade in this book?
8. How do the three men spend their time at the bar once they arrive in this book?
9. What do Finn and James find upon breaking into Sammy's place to find the script?
10. What did the men decide the noises they heard must of been, as opposed to a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As James begins to look for Hugo, he realizes that Sadie has locked him in the house, so he needs to pick the locks to get out of the house.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sadie decided to lock James into the house?
Part 2: Do you think Sadie is a crazy person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James should have realized that Sadie might have tried something like that? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 3
James decides that he just needs to write a play which will reach more people than a novel will.
Part 1: Do you think a novel is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a play is a strong mode of communication? Why or why not?
Part 3: Which medium is best for political movements: plays or novels? Why?
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)