|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James recalls a time when Magdalen destroyed a manuscript of his ___________ that might have been an epic.
2. While David is a religious zealot, there is no concept he hates more than _____________.
3. Where did James stop off in order to find lock picking supplies in order to break into someone's house?
4. James feels ___________ is a bright, sensual person who is warm-hearted and who would help anyone she could.
5. What did Hugo do with the armaments factory that his parents had given to him? What did he turned it into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sadie want James to move into her house a little earlier than he expected?
2. How do the three men spend their time at the bar once they arrive in this book?
3. What does Sadie explain as being all they have to do in order to put their plan in place?
4. What does Magdalen reveal as the reason for beckoning James to come to Paris to see her?
5. What does James buy on his way to see Sadie as he passes a shop on Oxford Street in this book?
6. What does Dave find that allows the men to figure out where Hugo has gone in this book?
7. What happened when the group of men got to Hugo's door? What did they find?
8. What did Sadie tell James to do when he arrived at her house to move into her flat in this book?
9. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
10. What is James now thinking about Anna and about her place in his life in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When James realizes that his manuscript may have been stolen, he just concedes to that fact.
Part 1: Why do you think James is pretty calm about someone stealing his work?
Part 2: Would you have been as calm if you found out that someone stole your work? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think James should have reacted to this news? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he would be paid a lot for doing a little, James turns down the job offer.
Part 1: Why do you think James decided to turn down the job offer?
Part 2: Would you have turned down that job offer if you were in James' shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Should James have turned down that job? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James uses flirting and his appearance in order to get others to do things for him.
Part 1: Would you call James a manipulative person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you use your charms or your appearance to get things you want? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think no one seems to see through James' plots to get what he wants?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)