|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James tuck himself into in order to fall asleep in the room where Anna is working?
2. Where does James go after learning about his bets with Sammy Starfield?
3. What do the men look at when they jump over a wall and into a yard?
4. James believes that ___________ knows too many people in his life, though he is not close to any of them.
5. What did Hugo do with the armaments factory that his parents had given to him? What did he turned it into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James do as he begins to settle into his new home at Sadie's flat in this book?
2. What does James buy on his way to see Sadie as he passes a shop on Oxford Street in this book?
3. What does James suddenly think might happen as he is on the way to take Mr. Mars to Sammy's flat?
4. What was in the bundle of letters that Finn was holding for James in this book?
5. What does James notice in the middle of the top shelf when he wakes up in the chair at Sadie's?
6. What was James' immediate response to becoming Sadie's bodyguard in this book?
7. What does James think about marriage in relation to his own life and decisions in this book?
8. Why can't James leave the house when he decides to go find Hugo after the phone call?
9. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
10. What does Dave find that allows the men to figure out where Hugo has gone in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he would be paid a lot for doing a little, James turns down the job offer.
Part 1: Why do you think James decided to turn down the job offer?
Part 2: Would you have turned down that job offer if you were in James' shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Should James have turned down that job? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James seems to be a man who wants to always get things from others, though he does not seem as keen to give others things in return.
Part 1: Why do you think James seems to be such a mooch?
Part 2: Why do you think James does not seem to give anything in return for what he has been given?
Part 3: Could you be friends with James? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)