|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James feels ___________ is a bright, sensual person who is warm-hearted and who would help anyone she could.
2. What is the outcome of James' placing a bet with Sammy after receiving unexpected money?
3. What did Anna avoid as she began to answer James' questions upon his arrival?
4. James can not leave until he sends a letter to ____________, telling the recipient how he feels.
5. James began to work on his ___________, but he eventually fell asleep doing so.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James notice in the middle of the top shelf when he wakes up in the chair at Sadie's?
2. What does James buy on his way to see Sadie as he passes a shop on Oxford Street in this book?
3. What are some of the tasks James gets to do at his new job in this book?
4. What happened when the group of men got to Hugo's door? What did they find?
5. What does James think about marriage in relation to his own life and decisions in this book?
6. How would James describe Anna when he first sees her as he walks into the room?
7. What was Finn's explanation for suddenly disappearing from the area in this book?
8. Why does James think so highly of Mrs. Tinckham and his bottle of whiskey in this book?
9. What did Sadie tell James about Mr. Mars in a letter addressed to James in this book?
10. What is James now thinking about Anna and about her place in his life in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James notices that Dave always has a lot of friends around, but he does not remain friends with most of them.
Part 1: Why do you think Dave always keeps a lot of people around?
Part 2: Do you prefer to have a lot of friends or just a few close friends? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think James is quick to point out Dave's misgivings in terms of friendship?
Essay Topic 2
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 3
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)