|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James was thought by Lefty to hold __________-wing opinions, though he took no part in politics.
2. James tells Sadie's housekeeper that he is a ____________ of hers.
3. James realizes that he hates ____________ though he fears intimacy.
4. When the telephone rang, asking for Sadie, who did James realize was the caller on the other line?
5. James can not leave until he sends a letter to ____________, telling the recipient how he feels.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
2. What does James suddenly think might happen as he is on the way to take Mr. Mars to Sammy's flat?
3. Why does it seem that James and Finn may have worn out their welcome where they were staying?
4. What does James think about marriage in relation to his own life and decisions in this book?
5. What does Dave notice James doing, which prompts him to immediately tell James no?
6. What did James do to Anna as he felt that they would be conversing like two old acquaintances in a few moments?
7. What do Lefty and James realize about each other the more they talk to each other?
8. What does Dave think James needs to do in order to get rid of his angst in this book?
9. Where does Anna want James to come when she writes him a letter, requesting to see him?
10. What does James do when he happens upon a hospital during a long walk with Mr. Mars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James suddenly gets inspired to work as an orderly after a period of depression.
Part 1: Do it seem realistic for someone like James to suddenly want to get a job? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think James chose to become an orderly?
Part 3: Do you think James would be a good orderly were he to stick with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James wrote a book based on the ideas he cleaned from Hugo, which seemed to cause a divide in their friendship.
Part 1: Why do you think James idolized Hugo so much?
Part 2: Do you believe James had the right to write a book based on Hugo's ideas and thoughts? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Hugo was made at James for writing the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When James realizes that his manuscript may have been stolen, he just concedes to that fact.
Part 1: Why do you think James is pretty calm about someone stealing his work?
Part 2: Would you have been as calm if you found out that someone stole your work? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think James should have reacted to this news? Why?
This section contains 1,908 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)