|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lefty Todd was the eccentric leader of the New Independent ______________.
2. What did James drink a lot of in order to determine his next course of action?
3. James was surprised that Hugo would _____________ with all of these treasures in his house.
4. What does James take off in order to make a motion to fight the person he finds in the house?
5. Anna lets James know she has had an ____________ that she doesn't like, but can not turn down.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James afraid has been stolen from him when he was living at Magdalen's?
2. Where does Anna want James to come when she writes him a letter, requesting to see him?
3. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
4. What happened when James let himself in to Magdalen's house to pick up his things?
5. What does James think about marriage in relation to his own life and decisions in this book?
6. Why does James think so highly of Mrs. Tinckham and his bottle of whiskey in this book?
7. Why does it seem that James and Finn may have worn out their welcome where they were staying?
8. How would James describe Anna when he first sees her as he walks into the room?
9. What did the group of men find when they got to the fourth level in the building where Hugo was supposed to be?
10. What did Sadie tell James about Mr. Mars in a letter addressed to James in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Magdalen has agreed to marry another man, she kicks out Finn and James from her house.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen let the men stay with her in the first place?
Part 2: Would you have let two grown men live with you even if you had no relationship with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair for Magdalen to kick the two men out of her home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James wrote a book based on the ideas he cleaned from Hugo, which seemed to cause a divide in their friendship.
Part 1: Why do you think James idolized Hugo so much?
Part 2: Do you believe James had the right to write a book based on Hugo's ideas and thoughts? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Hugo was made at James for writing the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James seems to be a man who wants to always get things from others, though he does not seem as keen to give others things in return.
Part 1: Why do you think James seems to be such a mooch?
Part 2: Why do you think James does not seem to give anything in return for what he has been given?
Part 3: Could you be friends with James? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)