|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ was giving James huge hints and although he did not understand what was to come next, he knew he had to fix problems in the meantime.
2. ___________, it is agreed, has the ability to help the Socialist party with his writing.
3. What does Sammy offer to James as a sort of payment for stealing Magdalen?
4. Mrs. Tinckman has never taken a sip of the ____________ that James keeps behind the counter.
5. James is surprised by Sammy's offering as James had never offered ______________ to Magdalen.
Short Essay Questions
1. How would James describe Anna when he first sees her as he walks into the room?
2. What does James watch Lefty do when he is in the movie studio set in this book?
3. Why can't James leave the house when he decides to go find Hugo after the phone call?
4. What was James' immediate response to becoming Sadie's bodyguard in this book?
5. What did the group of men find when they got to the fourth level in the building where Hugo was supposed to be?
6. What water sources are eliminated because of the right security the men might encounter in trying to take a dip?
7. What did the men decide the noises they heard must of been, as opposed to a party?
8. What was James' new job at the hospital where he secured employment in this book?
9. What does James find is at the address which he has uncovered for Anna's current location?
10. Why did Sammy offer James 200 pounds when James sees him at Magdalen's house in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he would be paid a lot for doing a little, James turns down the job offer.
Part 1: Why do you think James decided to turn down the job offer?
Part 2: Would you have turned down that job offer if you were in James' shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Should James have turned down that job? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James, when he wakes up in the park, realizes that fate is trying to tell him to fix certain problems in his life.
Part 1: Why do you think James is confident in the idea of fate?
Part 2: Do you believe in the idea of fate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James is correct in thinking that he needs to resolve the past before moving forward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James suddenly gets inspired to work as an orderly after a period of depression.
Part 1: Do it seem realistic for someone like James to suddenly want to get a job? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think James chose to become an orderly?
Part 3: Do you think James would be a good orderly were he to stick with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)