|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do as soon as he lands in the grass in his new location?
2. James notes that Anna is a bit ___________ and a bit grayer, but still beautiful.
3. Onto what does James throw Anna in order to keep the conversation from being too boring?
4. What was the source of the high pitched chattering sounds that the men heard on the way to Hugo's?
5. James decides that he wants to take ____________ to Anna when he goes to see her.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sammy and Sadie talking about as James is outside the house, eavesdropping?
2. What did Sadie tell James to do when he arrived at her house to move into her flat in this book?
3. What does Sadie explain as being all they have to do in order to put their plan in place?
4. What did Sadie tell James about Mr. Mars in a letter addressed to James in this book?
5. What is James afraid has been stolen from him when he was living at Magdalen's?
6. What does the telegram that James receives at the cafe reveal to him in this book?
7. What does James think about marriage in relation to his own life and decisions in this book?
8. What does James realize when he is at a bookstore in Paris and he sees a sudden crowd?
9. What is the reason for the festivities in Paris on the day that James contemplates the way he turned down the job?
10. What was James' immediate response to becoming Sadie's bodyguard in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James is summoned to Paris by Magdalen, and he decides to go and to meet her there.
Part 1: Why do you think Magdalen wanted James to come to Paris with her?
Part 2: Would you go to Paris at the summoning of someone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James should have gone to see Magdalen? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As James begins to look for Hugo, he realizes that Sadie has locked him in the house, so he needs to pick the locks to get out of the house.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sadie decided to lock James into the house?
Part 2: Do you think Sadie is a crazy person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think James should have realized that Sadie might have tried something like that? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James seems to be a man who wants to always get things from others, though he does not seem as keen to give others things in return.
Part 1: Why do you think James seems to be such a mooch?
Part 2: Why do you think James does not seem to give anything in return for what he has been given?
Part 3: Could you be friends with James? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)