|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While David is a religious zealot, there is no concept he hates more than _____________.
2. How did the men get to Hugo's address when they eventually got James from Sadie's house?
3. James tells Sadie's housekeeper that he is a ____________ of hers.
4. ___________ was giving James huge hints and although he did not understand what was to come next, he knew he had to fix problems in the meantime.
5. James feels ___________ is a bright, sensual person who is warm-hearted and who would help anyone she could.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugo's first reaction to James coming into his hospital room unannounced in this book?
2. What does Dave think James needs to do in order to get rid of his angst in this book?
3. What does James suddenly think might happen as he is on the way to take Mr. Mars to Sammy's flat?
4. Why can't James leave the house when he decides to go find Hugo after the phone call?
5. Why does Sadie want James to move into her house a little earlier than he expected?
6. What did Anna reveal to James about a possible home situation he could use in this book?
7. What did James do to Anna as he felt that they would be conversing like two old acquaintances in a few moments?
8. What did Sadie tell James about Mr. Mars in a letter addressed to James in this book?
9. What is the reason for the festivities in Paris on the day that James contemplates the way he turned down the job?
10. What happened when James let himself in to Magdalen's house to pick up his things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James realizes that Mrs. Tinckham has never taken a sip of the whiskey he keeps behind the counter fro special occasions.
Part 1: Why do you think James keeps a special bottle of whiskey behind the counter at the shop?
Part 2: Would you have drunk the bottle of whiskey were you in Mrs. Tinckman's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why is it a true mark of propriety that Mrs. Tinckman has never had a single sip of the whiskey?
Essay Topic 2
James uses flirting and his appearance in order to get others to do things for him.
Part 1: Would you call James a manipulative person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you use your charms or your appearance to get things you want? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think no one seems to see through James' plots to get what he wants?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he would be paid a lot for doing a little, James turns down the job offer.
Part 1: Why do you think James decided to turn down the job offer?
Part 2: Would you have turned down that job offer if you were in James' shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Should James have turned down that job? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,946 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)