|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
2. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
3. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
4. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
5. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
2. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
3. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
4. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
5. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
6. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
7. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
8. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
9. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
10. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)