|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
2. As she and Hugh are chasing the consul, what does she point out always upsets the consul?
3. How does the consul leave the hotel restaurant?
4. Where do the police start following the consul?
5. Why does Laruelle leave the consul alone in his own home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
2. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
3. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
4. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
5. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
6. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
7. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
8. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
9. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
10. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which attraction is stronger in the consul: Yvonne or alcohol? (Keep in mind that there may be a difference between what the consul wants and what the consul is able to do, given his severe alcoholism.) Use direct evidence from the text to support your well-written argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lowry choose to have Yvonne and the consul appear to reconcile and mend their relationship at the bull fight? What message is he trying to convey about each character through this event?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)