|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical allusion does the consul use after the trio's bus ride?
2. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
3. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
4. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
5. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
2. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
3. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
4. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
5. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
6. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
7. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
8. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
9. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
10. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
Essay Topic 2
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)