|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
2. What do Hugh and Yvonne find of the consul's to indicate they are on the right path while looking for him?
3. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
4. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
5. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
2. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
3. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
4. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
5. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
6. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
7. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
8. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
9. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
10. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)