|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
2. What do Hugh and Yvonne find of the consul's to indicate they are on the right path while looking for him?
3. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
4. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
5. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
2. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
3. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
4. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
5. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
6. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
7. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
8. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
9. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
10. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given what you know about Malcolm Lowry, write an argument about how "Under the Volcano" is semi-autobiographical. Make sure to use facts from Lowry's life as well as direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)