|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
2. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
3. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
4. Where do Hugh and Yvonne keep checking for the consul?
5. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
2. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
3. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
4. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
5. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
6. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
7. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
8. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
9. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
10. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lowry choose to have Yvonne and the consul appear to reconcile and mend their relationship at the bull fight? What message is he trying to convey about each character through this event?
Essay Topic 3
Using Laruelle, Yvonne, or the consul as an example, discuss at least three ways that a character's flashbacks to his or her childhood lets the reader understand more about a character. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)