|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
2. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
3. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
4. How could Hugh, the consul, and Yvonne's visit to Laruelle best be described?
5. What does Hugh buy as he and Yvonne are searching for the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
2. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
3. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
4. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
5. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
6. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
7. How does the consul ultimately die?
8. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
9. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
10. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)