|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
2. What does Hugh observe Yvonne and the consul doing on the bus?
3. What do the police demand of the consul?
4. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
5. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
2. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
3. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
4. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
5. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
6. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
7. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
8. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
9. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
10. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lowry choose to have Yvonne and the consul appear to reconcile and mend their relationship at the bull fight? What message is he trying to convey about each character through this event?
Essay Topic 3
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)