|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
2. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
3. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
4. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
5. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
2. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
3. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
4. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
5. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
6. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
7. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
8. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
9. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
10. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument stating that, despite his major flaws, the consul is in fact a good man. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)