|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
2. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
3. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
4. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
2. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
3. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
4. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
5. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
6. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
7. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
8. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
9. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
10. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
Essay Topic 2
Given what you know about Malcolm Lowry, write an argument about how "Under the Volcano" is semi-autobiographical. Make sure to use facts from Lowry's life as well as direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)