|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
2. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
3. Where do the police start following the consul?
4. What do Hugh and Yvonne find of the consul's to indicate they are on the right path while looking for him?
5. What makes Yvonne fall (the first time) while searching for the consul in the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lowry choose to have Yvonne and the consul appear to reconcile and mend their relationship at the bull fight? What message is he trying to convey about each character through this event?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)