|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
2. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
3. What makes Yvonne fall (the first time) while searching for the consul in the storm?
4. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
5. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
2. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
3. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
4. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
5. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
6. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
7. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
8. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
9. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
10. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument stating that, despite his major flaws, the consul is in fact a good man. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)