|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mescal?
2. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
3. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
4. Where does the storm come from?
5. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
2. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
3. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
4. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
5. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
6. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
7. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
8. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
9. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
10. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
Essay Topic 2
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)