|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the animals ride on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
4. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the consul ultimately die?
2. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
3. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
4. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
5. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
6. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
7. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
8. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
9. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
10. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Laruelle and the consul.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)