|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
2. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
3. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
4. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
5. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
2. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
3. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
4. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
5. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
6. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
7. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
8. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
9. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
10. How does the consul ultimately die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument stating that, despite his major flaws, the consul is in fact a good man. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)