|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yvonne first spy the consul after he fled the hotel restaurant?
2. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
3. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
4. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
5. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)