|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
2. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
4. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
5. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
2. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
3. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
4. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
5. How does the consul ultimately die?
6. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
7. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
8. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
9. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
10. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)