|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mescal?
2. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
3. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
4. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
2. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
3. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
4. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
5. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
6. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
7. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
8. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
9. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
10. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)