|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
2. Where do the police start following the consul?
3. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
4. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
5. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
2. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
3. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
4. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
5. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
6. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
7. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
8. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
9. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
10. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)