|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
2. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
3. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
4. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
5. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
2. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
3. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
4. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
5. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
6. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
7. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
8. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
9. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
10. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)