|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
2. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
3. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
4. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
5. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
2. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
3. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
4. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
5. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
6. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
7. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
8. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
9. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
10. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)