|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
2. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
3. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
4. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
5. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
2. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
3. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
4. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
5. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
6. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
7. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
8. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
9. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
10. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)