|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
2. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
3. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
4. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
5. Who is Hugh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
2. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
3. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
4. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
5. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
8. What two desires torment the consul?
9. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
10. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)