|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
2. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
3. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
4. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
5. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
2. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
3. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
4. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
5. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
6. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
7. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
8. What two desires torment the consul?
9. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
10. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)