|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
2. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
3. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
4. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
5. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
2. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
3. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
4. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
5. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
6. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
7. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
8. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
9. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
10. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Laruelle, Yvonne, or the consul as an example, discuss at least three ways that a character's flashbacks to his or her childhood lets the reader understand more about a character. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)