|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
2. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
3. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
4. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
5. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
2. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
3. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
4. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
5. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
8. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
9. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
10. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
Essay Topic 1
Given what you know about Malcolm Lowry, write an argument about how "Under the Volcano" is semi-autobiographical. Make sure to use facts from Lowry's life as well as direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Laruelle and the consul.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)