|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
2. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
3. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
4. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
5. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
2. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
3. What two desires torment the consul?
4. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
5. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
6. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
7. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
8. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
9. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
10. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 2
Using Laruelle, Yvonne, or the consul as an example, discuss at least three ways that a character's flashbacks to his or her childhood lets the reader understand more about a character. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)