|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
2. Who is Quincey?
3. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
4. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
5. Where does the novel begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
2. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
3. What two desires torment the consul?
4. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
5. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
8. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
9. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
10. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Laruelle and the consul.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lowry choose to have Yvonne and the consul appear to reconcile and mend their relationship at the bull fight? What message is he trying to convey about each character through this event?
Essay Topic 3
Using Laruelle, Yvonne, or the consul as an example, discuss at least three ways that a character's flashbacks to his or her childhood lets the reader understand more about a character. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)