|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
2. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
3. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
4. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
5. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
2. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
3. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
4. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
5. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
8. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
9. What two desires torment the consul?
10. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
Essay Topic 2
Given what you know about Malcolm Lowry, write an argument about how "Under the Volcano" is semi-autobiographical. Make sure to use facts from Lowry's life as well as direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument stating that, despite his major flaws, the consul is in fact a good man. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)