|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
2. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
3. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
4. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
5. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
2. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
3. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
4. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
5. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
6. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
7. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
8. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
9. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
10. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)