|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
2. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
3. Where does the novel begin?
4. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
5. What does the consul hallucinate and see his bathtub filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
2. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
3. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
4. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
5. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
6. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
7. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
8. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
9. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
10. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)