|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
2. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
4. Who is Quincey?
5. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
2. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
3. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
4. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
5. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
6. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
7. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
8. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
9. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
10. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 2
What is the reader supposed to assume happens to Hugh? Make sure to use direct evidence from at least three instances in the text that you feel supports your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)