|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
2. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
3. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
4. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
5. How old is Hugh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
2. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
3. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
4. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
5. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
6. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
7. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
8. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
9. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
10. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Using direct evidence from the text, 1) discuss the scene you think is most critical in the text and 2) discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses during this scene.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)