|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
2. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
3. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
4. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
5. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
2. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
3. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
4. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
5. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
6. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
7. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
8. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
9. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
10. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
Essay Topic 3
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)