|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
2. Who is Hugh?
3. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
4. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
5. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
2. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
3. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
4. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
5. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
6. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
7. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
8. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
9. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
10. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
Essay Topic 2
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
Essay Topic 3
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)