|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
2. Where does the novel begin?
3. Who is Yvonne?
4. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
5. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
2. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
3. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
4. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
5. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
6. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
7. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
8. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
9. What two desires torment the consul?
10. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ultimately kills the consul? Make sure to use direct, specific evidence from the text to support your strongly written thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Which attraction is stronger in the consul: Yvonne or alcohol? (Keep in mind that there may be a difference between what the consul wants and what the consul is able to do, given his severe alcoholism.) Use direct evidence from the text to support your well-written argument.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)