|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
2. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
3. For what company does Hugh work?
4. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
5. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
2. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
3. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
4. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
5. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
6. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
7. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
8. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
9. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
10. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss three things that Yvonne's passion for and knowledge of astronomy symbolizes in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument stating that, despite his major flaws, the consul is in fact a good man. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)