|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
2. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. How old is Hugh?
4. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
5. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
2. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
3. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
4. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
5. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
6. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
7. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
8. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
9. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
10. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)