|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
2. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
3. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
4. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
5. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
2. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
3. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
4. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
5. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
6. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
7. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
8. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
9. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
10. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices Lowry uses to convey that the novel is reaching its climax. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)