|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
2. How does the consul remember his childhood?
3. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
4. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
5. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
2. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
3. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
4. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
5. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
6. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
7. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
8. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
9. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
10. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Using Laruelle, Yvonne, or the consul as an example, discuss at least three ways that a character's flashbacks to his or her childhood lets the reader understand more about a character. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)