|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Quincey?
2. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
3. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
4. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
5. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
2. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
3. What two desires torment the consul?
4. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
5. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
6. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
7. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
8. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
9. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
10. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Laruelle and the consul.
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-argued essay discussing why -- or why not -- Lowry's choice to write "Under the Volcano" through various points of view (e.g., the consul's and then Laruelle's) results in a positive experience for the reader. Use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)