|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Quincey?
2. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
3. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
4. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
5. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
2. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
3. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
4. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
5. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
6. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
7. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
8. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
9. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
10. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Given what you know about Malcolm Lowry, write an argument about how "Under the Volcano" is semi-autobiographical. Make sure to use facts from Lowry's life as well as direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)