|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
2. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
3. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
4. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
5. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
2. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
3. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
4. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
5. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
6. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
7. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
8. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
9. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
10. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three ways that Lowry's placement of the novel in a foreign country (foreign to the consul, that is) has an impact on the novel.
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)