|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
2. What does someone make fun of the consul for during his walk with Yvonne back to their house once she has returned?
3. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
4. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
5. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
2. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
3. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
4. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
5. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
6. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
7. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
8. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
9. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
10. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the deaths of Yvonne and the consul. What message is Lowry trying to convey to the reader in each?
Essay Topic 2
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
Essay Topic 3
About which character does the reader of "Under the Volcano" know the most? Why is this? What evidence from the text supports your position?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)