|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
2. Who is Maximilian?
3. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
4. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
5. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
Short Essay Questions
1. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
2. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
3. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
4. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
5. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
6. What two desires torment the consul?
7. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
8. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
9. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
10. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in "Under the Volcano" and at least three literary devices Lowry uses when presenting female characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yvonne and the whore with whom the consul sleeps right before his death. What message is Lowry trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
List three ways that the story of the German soldiers' deaths and the consul's role in them impact the reader's view of the consul as a character before he actually arrives in "Under the Volcano."
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)