|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Yvonne born?
2. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
3. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
4. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
5. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
2. What two desires torment the consul?
3. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
4. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
5. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
6. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
7. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
8. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
9. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
10. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Yvonne die a happy or unhappy woman? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three of the consul's hallucinations and discuss 1) what each shows the reader about the consul's declining health as well as 2) at least one literary device Lowry uses in each hallucinatory episode to convey what is happening, in the consul's mind, to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Laruelle and the consul.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)