|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the storm come from?
(a) Out of nowhere; it literally just appears, to everyone's confusion.
(b) Over the mountains.
(c) Seemingly out of the volcano.
(d) Seemingly out of the sea.
2. What kind of person do the police accuse the consul of being?
(a) A communist.
(b) A spy for the Spanish government.
(c) A woman in disguise.
(d) A fake priest.
3. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
(b) Fried food.
(c) Her old boyfriend.
(d) Poor children.
4. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(c) None -- this is a trick question.
5. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) A McDonald's.
(c) A rest stop.
(d) The wilderness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police start following the consul?
2. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
3. What does Hugh buy as he and Yvonne are searching for the consul?
4. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
5. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
2. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
3. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
4. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
5. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
6. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
7. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
8. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
9. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
10. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)