|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the storm come from?
(a) Seemingly out of the sea.
(b) Out of nowhere; it literally just appears, to everyone's confusion.
(c) Seemingly out of the volcano.
(d) Over the mountains.
2. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's request to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) He wants to stay.
(b) He wants to accompany her out.
(c) He slaps her in an attempt to establish his authority.
(d) He ignores her requests.
3. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
(b) He fine and beautiful clothes.
(c) His amazing wealth.
(d) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
4. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
(a) He thinks he is a woman.
(b) He thinks he is much younger than he really is.
(c) He thinks he is much older than he really is.
(d) He calls him by the wrong name.
5. What does Hugh try to do to the trio's dynamics during the bus ride?
(a) Cause problems because he is secretly in love with Yvonne.
(b) Help people understand the seriousness of their situation.
(c) Pray for focus.
(d) Relieve the tension.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh buy as he and Yvonne are searching for the consul?
2. What small charge do the police accuse the consul of?
3. Where does the consul plan to meet Hugh and Yvonne after all three have been at Laruelle's house?
4. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
5. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the consul ultimately die?
2. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
3. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
4. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
5. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
6. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
7. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
8. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
9. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
10. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)