|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(b) No one -- it is too expensive.
(d) The consul.
2. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
(a) The children.
(b) The young boys.
(c) The drunkest of onlookers.
(d) The oldest of men.
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) Only rich people.
(b) All kinds.
(c) Only soldiers and their families.
(d) Only poor people.
4. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
(a) A Hollywood actress.
(b) A fashion designer.
(c) A model.
(d) A famous singer.
5. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
(a) Go to Canada on her own.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Get drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
2. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
3. What does Hugh observe Yvonne and the consul doing on the bus?
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
5. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
2. How does the consul ultimately die?
3. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
4. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
5. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
6. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
7. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
8. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
9. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
10. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)