|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the consul continue to do as he heads up the mountain?
2. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
(b) His amazing wealth.
(c) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
(d) He fine and beautiful clothes.
3. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
(a) Because the food is just too delicious to leave uneaten.
(b) Because he hasn't had time to present them with gifts.
(c) Because he hasn't said his hellos.
(d) Because he says it would be rude.
4. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul is drinking again.
(b) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(c) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
(d) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
5. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She powders her nose.
(b) She works on her stitching.
(c) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(d) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police demand of the consul?
2. What does Hugh observe Yvonne and the consul doing on the bus?
3. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
4. How does Yvonne feel about attending the bull fight?
5. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
2. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
3. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
4. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
5. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
6. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
7. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
8. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
9. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
10. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)