|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Yvonne think is to blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) The waitress.
(b) Not the consul.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Not Hugh.
2. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
(b) Into the river he jumps into.
(c) Into the volcano.
(d) Up the volcano.
3. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
(a) Poor children.
(b) Fried food.
(c) Her old boyfriend.
4. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(b) Very serious.
5. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To move away to Canada.
(b) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
(c) To relocate to Hawaii.
(d) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police demand of the consul?
2. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
4. Where do the police begin to take the consul?
5. Where does Yvonne first spy the consul after he fled the hotel restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
2. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
3. How does the consul ultimately die?
4. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
5. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
6. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
7. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
8. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
9. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
10. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)