|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) The consul.
(c) The bad waitress.
2. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
(c) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
(d) A letter from Yvonne.
3. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(b) Because the consul is drinking again.
(c) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
(d) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
4. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) A dead dog.
(b) His wallet.
(c) Some dirt to cover their crime.
(d) An empty tequila bottle.
5. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
(c) The consul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police demand of the consul?
2. Where does the storm come from?
3. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
4. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
5. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
2. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
3. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
4. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
5. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
6. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
7. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
8. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
9. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
10. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)