|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yvonne first spy the consul after he fled the hotel restaurant?
(a) Being carried off by the police.
(b) On a bus.
(c) On the very peak of the mountain.
(d) In the distance.
2. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul is drinking again.
(b) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
(c) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(d) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
3. What does Yvonne think would prove healing for the consul?
(c) Privacy and quiet.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
4. What is mescal?
(a) A water with apparent mystical qualities.
(b) A juice made from a cactus flower.
(c) A local alcoholic beverage.
(d) A drink that is supposed to give you a lot of energy.
5. Where do the police begin to take the consul?
(a) A castle where they torture people.
(b) A ship where he will be sent to another country.
(d) The courthouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police start following the consul?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. What kind of person do the police accuse the consul of being?
4. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
5. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
2. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
3. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
4. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
5. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
6. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
7. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
8. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
9. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
10. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)