|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
(b) A forest fire that is providing a glow in the night sky.
(c) A large city and its large buildings.
(d) A thunderstorm.
2. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
(a) No one -- this is a trick question.
(b) A whore.
(d) An old girlfriend.
3. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(a) Very serious.
4. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
(a) A model.
(b) A famous singer.
(c) A fashion designer.
(d) A Hollywood actress.
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He uses his connections to help her.
(b) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(c) He supports them.
(d) He refuses to hear about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hugh and Yvonne keep checking for the consul?
2. What is mescal?
3. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
5. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
2. How does the consul ultimately die?
3. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
4. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
5. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
6. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
7. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
8. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
9. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
10. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)