|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
2. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) More money for his time with the whore.
(b) Both of these answers are correct.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) More money for his drinks.
3. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) The bad waitress.
(d) The consul.
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) His father.
(b) An angel.
(c) The devil.
(d) His mother.
5. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
(a) Goes swimming.
(b) Orders room service.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Takes a shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
2. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
3. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
4. Where do the animals ride on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
5. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
2. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
3. Why does no one offer to help the man who gets on the bus who has clearly been mugged?
4. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
5. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
6. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
7. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
8. How does the consul ultimately die?
9. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
10. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)