|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He supports them.
(b) He refuses to hear about them.
(c) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(d) He uses his connections to help her.
2. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) Only rich people.
(b) Only soldiers and their families.
(c) Only poor people.
(d) All kinds.
3. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) More money for his drinks.
(c) Both of these answers are correct.
(d) More money for his time with the whore.
4. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) Some dirt to cover their crime.
(b) His wallet.
(c) A dead dog.
(d) An empty tequila bottle.
5. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
(a) All of these answers is correct.
(c) The consul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
2. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
3. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
4. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
5. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
2. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
3. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
4. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
5. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
6. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
7. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
8. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
9. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
10. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)