|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
(a) The oldest of men.
(b) The drunkest of onlookers.
(c) The young boys.
(d) The children.
2. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Takes a shower.
(c) Goes swimming.
(d) Orders room service.
3. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(b) Very serious.
4. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
(a) That things are finally looking up with them.
(b) That she is lost from him forever.
(c) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(d) That she has cheated on him with Hugh.
5. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(a) Mexico City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
5. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
2. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
3. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
4. In his drunken rage at the hotel restaurant, what does the consul claim about people being involved in his life?
5. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
6. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
7. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
8. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
9. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
10. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)