|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
(a) That she is lost from him forever.
(b) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(c) That things are finally looking up with them.
(d) That she has cheated on him with Hugh.
2. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(d) None -- this is a trick question.
3. What is mescal?
(a) A local alcoholic beverage.
(b) A water with apparent mystical qualities.
(c) A drink that is supposed to give you a lot of energy.
(d) A juice made from a cactus flower.
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) The devil.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) An angel.
5. What do the police demand of the consul?
(a) That he leave their town immediately.
(b) At least $1000.
(c) To see his papers.
(d) That he show up for court the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
2. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
3. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
4. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
5. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
2. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
3. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
4. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
5. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
6. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
7. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
8. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
9. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
10. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)