|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What small charge do the police accuse the consul of?
(b) Tricking the local government into giving him money.
(c) Trying to bribe them.
(d) Stealing a horse.
2. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
(a) Fried food.
(b) Her old boyfriend.
(c) Poor children.
3. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(c) Very serious.
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) His mother.
(b) An angel.
(c) The devil.
(d) His father.
5. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(b) Famous people.
(c) People from his past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Yvonne fall (the first time) while searching for the consul in the storm?
2. What does the consul continue to do as he heads up the mountain?
3. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
4. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
5. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
2. How does the consul ultimately die?
3. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
4. As he reflects on his life at the hotel, what does the consul think about his happiness?
5. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
6. Why dues Hugh jump into the arena to try to ride the bull?
7. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
8. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
9. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
10. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)