|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
(a) Because she has poor English.
(b) Because she is laughing at really bad jokes.
(c) Because she is a bad waitress.
(d) Because she keeps spilling everything.
2. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
(a) He thinks he is much younger than he really is.
(b) He thinks he is much older than he really is.
(c) He calls him by the wrong name.
(d) He thinks he is a woman.
3. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
(a) Because he wants to check on the consul.
(b) Because he had a doctor's appointment.
(c) Because he had to drop off some medicine.
(d) Because they have a card game every Wednesday night.
4. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
(a) A man who has obviously been mugged.
(b) The local mayor.
(c) Someone who then takes the bus hostage.
(d) A famous musician.
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He uses his connections to help her.
(b) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(c) He refuses to hear about them.
(d) He supports them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
2. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
3. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
4. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
5. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
2. How does the consul ultimately die?
3. What does Yvonne experience as she falls/dying?
4. Why does the consul fail to understand why Yvonne and Hugh get so upset during dinner?
5. What is the real reason why the consul wants to stay at Laruelle's house even though Yvonne wants to leave?
6. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
7. How does Yvonne ultimately die?
8. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
9. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
10. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)