|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(b) No one -- it is too expensive.
(d) The consul.
2. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(b) People from his past.
(d) Famous people.
3. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(c) Mexico City.
4. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
(b) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(c) She powders her nose.
(d) She works on her stitching.
5. What does Hugh try to do to the trio's dynamics during the bus ride?
(a) Help people understand the seriousness of their situation.
(b) Relieve the tension.
(c) Pray for focus.
(d) Cause problems because he is secretly in love with Yvonne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. What makes the bull fight so unentertaining?
4. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
5. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Laruelle and Hugh have in common from their childhoods?
2. What about Yvonne's letter depresses the consul as he is heading up the mountain?
3. How does the increasingly unfavorable weather influence Yvonne's feeling of foreboding?
4. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
5. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
6. Why do the police accuse the consul of being a communist?
7. What does Yvonne imagine has burned down as she sees the storm approaching?
8. Why is Yvonne really in such a hurry to leave Laruelle's home?
9. What does Yvonne see the bull as a symbol of?
10. As the consul is having sex with the whore, what are the voices in his head telling him?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)