|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A graduation.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A festival.
2. What is the second theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means where the eagle stops.
(b) That just uttering the word can give you magical powers.
(c) That it means volcano of joy.
(d) That it means land of green snakes.
3. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(c) Just one.
(d) Too many to count.
4. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
5. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means where the sun never sets.
(b) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
(c) That it means cold mountain water.
(d) That it means painted mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
2. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
3. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
4. For what company does Hugh work?
5. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
2. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
3. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
4. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
5. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
6. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
7. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
8. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
9. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
10. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)