|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
(b) It is much happier than he thought.
(c) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
(d) It is exactly as he thought.
2. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
(a) He was filled with rage.
(b) He missed her.
(c) He didn't really care.
(d) He was so drunk that he didn't even notice she left.
3. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Confused about her new job.
(c) Furious at her terrible new boss.
(d) Sad about her dead baby.
4. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
5. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(c) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
2. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
3. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
4. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
5. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
2. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
3. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
4. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
5. Why does the consul want the sun to stand still after the bus ride he takes with Yvonne and Hugh?
6. How do Hugh and Yvonne pass the afternoon at the hotel with the consul?
7. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
8. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
9. What two desires torment the consul?
10. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)