|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(b) Too many to count.
(d) Just one.
2. Who is Quincey?
(a) The librarian of the city.
(b) The owner of the garden.
(c) The homeless man who lives in the alley.
(d) The manager of the palace.
3. What day is it when the novel opens?
(c) Day of the Dead.
(d) Mexican Independence Day.
4. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Five months.
5. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not vomit in the garden.
(b) That he not steal books from the library.
(c) That he not pass out in the alley.
(d) That he not yell once inside the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
2. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
3. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
4. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
5. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
2. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
3. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
4. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
5. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
6. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
7. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
8. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
9. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
10. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)