|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the consul remember his childhood?
(a) With neither happiness nor sadness.
(b) With terror.
(c) With rage.
(d) With nostalgia.
2. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) A beer.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A whiskey.
(d) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
3. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A dirty alleyway.
(b) A garden.
(c) A library.
(d) A palace.
4. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(a) The mayor's.
(c) Yvonne's mother's.
5. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
2. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
3. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
4. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
5. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
2. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
3. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
4. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
5. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
8. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
9. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
10. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)