|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
2. How old is Hugh?
3. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) The approval of his parents.
(d) Lots of women.
4. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(d) The United States.
5. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
(a) A letter from Yvonne.
(b) Letters from the consul that he never sent.
(c) A copy of the consul's will.
(d) A $100 bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maximilian?
2. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
3. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
4. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
5. What is the second theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
2. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
3. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
4. What does Laruelle point out to the consul about why his lack of excitement about Yvonne's return is ironic?
5. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
6. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
7. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
8. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
9. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
10. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)