|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
(a) Old movies.
(b) Current movies.
(c) Their favorite author.
(d) What each wants for dinner that night.
2. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(c) The mayor's.
(d) Yvonne's mother's.
3. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
(a) He chases him away by waving a gun.
(b) He doesn't believe much of what he says.
(c) He invites him in for dinner.
(d) He forgives him for all of his sins.
4. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) An England castle.
(b) A school.
(c) An American cattle ranch.
(d) A hospital.
5. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A man passing by.
(b) His father.
(c) A ghost.
(d) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
2. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
4. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
5. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
2. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
3. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
4. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
5. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
6. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
7. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
8. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
9. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
10. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)