|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
(a) Go out for the evening.
(b) Move to a warmer climate.
(c) Take two aspirin and call him in the morning.
(d) Go to the hospital right away.
2. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Malcolm Lowry.
(d) Janet Lowry.
3. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
(a) Current movies.
(b) Their favorite author.
(c) Old movies.
(d) What each wants for dinner that night.
4. How old is Hugh?
5. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
(a) A very large statue of himself in military dress.
(b) A very large statue of the child that they had that died.
(c) A very large statute of herself in a beautiful gown.
(d) This is a trick question -- she doesn't bring him a large gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
2. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
3. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
4. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
5. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
2. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
3. What two desires torment the consul?
4. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
5. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
6. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
7. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
8. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
9. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
10. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)