|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(b) That he has given up drinking.
(c) That Yvonne is pregnant.
(d) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
2. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The Canadian border.
(b) The Spanish border.
(c) The Nicaraguan border.
(d) The American border.
3. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A cane.
(b) To call an ambulance.
(c) A drink.
(d) A ride.
4. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) Five years.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) Five months.
5. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) Romantic poetry.
(c) Elizabethan plays.
(d) Modern art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
2. What does the consul hallucinate and see his bathtub filled with?
3. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
4. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
5. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
2. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
3. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
4. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
5. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
6. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
7. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
8. What does the consul's desire for the sun not to set foreshadow?
9. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
10. How does the consul respond to the children who beg him for money after he leaves a cantina?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)