|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
(a) Sites of great battles that he won.
(b) The many buildings that he owns.
(c) Familiar landmarks.
(d) Places his friends used to live before they all died.
2. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(b) With many of his officers.
(c) With a woman she doesn't know.
(d) With no one -- he is alone.
3. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
(a) Takes a bath.
(b) Throws herself off the balcony.
(c) Leaves immediately.
(d) Starts breaking dishes.
4. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(d) The sun.
5. Who is Yvonne?
(a) The consul's mother.
(b) The consul's nurse.
(c) The consul's estranged wife.
(d) The consul's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
2. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
3. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
4. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
5. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
2. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
3. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
4. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
5. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
6. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
7. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
8. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
9. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
10. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)