|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
(a) Because the animal bites her.
(b) Because another patron outbids her during the auction.
(c) Because the price is too high.
(d) Because the consul has taken all of her money.
2. Where was Yvonne born?
3. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
(a) That he meant to give Quincey some money.
(b) That he had planned to go out of town.
(c) That he was supposed to get flowers for Yvonne.
(d) That he hurt his ankle pretty badly the night before.
4. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With no one -- he is alone.
(b) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(c) With many of his officers.
(d) With a woman she doesn't know.
5. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
(a) A vodka.
(b) A beer.
(c) A glass of wine.
(d) A whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
2. What does Hugh learn about the food on a ship?
3. Who is Yvonne?
4. Where does the novel begin?
5. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
2. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
3. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
4. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
5. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
6. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
7. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
8. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
9. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
10. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)