|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the consul call for help when Hugh is over?
(a) The basement.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bath.
(d) The garden.
2. Where does the novel begin?
(b) Puerto Vallarta.
3. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
(a) That it is time for him to do so.
(b) That he missed his chance to do so.
(c) That he will never have to do so.
(d) That he did so too early for a young man like himself.
4. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Just the other day.
(b) Exactly one year ago today.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) During childhood.
5. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(b) Other people yelling.
(c) The sound of sirens going by.
(d) An annoying housemaid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
2. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
3. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
4. Who is Quincey?
5. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
2. Why does Hugh feel that his youth is gone?
3. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
4. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
5. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
6. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
7. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
8. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
9. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
10. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)