|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
(a) A stronger whiskey.
(b) A less potent whiskey.
(c) A stronger beer.
(d) A less potent beer.
2. What does the consul hallucinate and see his bathtub filled with?
(d) Boiling water.
3. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A midnight church service.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A festival.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
4. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(d) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
5. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In a cantina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
2. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
3. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
4. How old is Hugh?
5. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
2. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
3. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
4. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
5. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
6. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
7. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
8. What two desires torment the consul?
9. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
10. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)