Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The American border.
(b) The Nicaraguan border.
(c) The Spanish border.
(d) The Canadian border.
2. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A midnight church service.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A festival.
3. How old is Hugh?
4. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(b) He captains his own ship.
(c) He works on the crew of a ship.
(d) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
5. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
2. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
3. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
4. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
5. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
2. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
3. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
4. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
5. What does Yvonne say to Hugh about armadillos?
6. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
7. What causes Yvonne and the consul to feel happy and in love again during the bull fight?
8. Why are the movie posters Yvonne sees during her bus ride significant?
9. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
10. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)