|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That Yvonne is pregnant.
(b) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(c) That he has given up drinking.
(d) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
2. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
(a) Falling in love with someone else.
(c) Trying to plot against the consul.
(d) Running from the law.
3. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
(a) We never find out.
(b) In the morning.
(c) At night.
(d) In the afternoon.
4. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
(a) He flees the country.
(b) Yvonne's new apartment.
(d) Into the sewers to hide from the rebels.
5. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) The sound of sirens going by.
(b) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(c) Other people yelling.
(d) An annoying housemaid.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
2. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
3. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
4. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
5. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
2. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
3. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
4. What two desires torment the consul?
5. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
6. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
7. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
8. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
9. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
10. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)