|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
(b) The voices in his head.
(c) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
(d) The voices of his children.
2. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) A school.
(b) An American cattle ranch.
(c) A hospital.
(d) An England castle.
3. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Furious at her terrible new boss.
(b) Sad about her dead baby.
(d) Confused about her new job.
4. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A graduation.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A festival.
5. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Malcolm Lowry.
(d) Janet Lowry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
2. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
3. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
4. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
5. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
2. What two desires torment the consul?
3. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
4. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
5. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
6. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
7. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
8. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
9. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
10. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)