|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(a) Just one.
(c) Too many to count.
2. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he should get married soon.
(b) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(c) That he is a very wealthy man.
(d) That he is the wisest man in town.
3. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
(a) Go out for the evening.
(b) Go to the hospital right away.
(c) Move to a warmer climate.
(d) Take two aspirin and call him in the morning.
5. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A parrot.
(c) An armadillo.
(d) A kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
2. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
3. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
4. Who is Maximilian?
5. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
2. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
3. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
4. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
5. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
6. What can the consul not forget during the town's festival?
7. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
8. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
9. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
10. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)