|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
2. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) Mexico City.
3. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
4. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A library.
(b) A garden.
(c) A palace.
(d) A dirty alleyway.
5. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
(a) A beer.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A vodka.
(d) A whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
2. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
3. What event is happening when the novel beings?
4. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
5. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
2. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
3. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
4. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
5. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
6. Why does Hugh not know about the state of the consul's and Yvonne's marriage?
7. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
8. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
9. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
10. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)