|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not yell once inside the palace.
(b) That he not steal books from the library.
(c) That he not pass out in the alley.
(d) That he not vomit in the garden.
2. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
(c) A beer.
(d) A whiskey.
3. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) Mexico City.
5. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
(b) It is much happier than he thought.
(c) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
(d) It is exactly as he thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
2. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
3. How old is Hugh?
4. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
5. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
2. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
3. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
4. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
5. What two desires torment the consul?
6. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
7. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
8. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
9. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
10. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)