|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices in his head.
(b) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
(c) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
(d) The voices of his children.
2. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(b) That they are all murderous liars.
(c) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(d) That they are just in it for the money.
3. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
4. What does Yvonne drink in the brewery?
(a) Nothing -- she is afraid of becoming like her husband.
(b) A whiskey.
(c) A beer.
(d) A glass of wine.
5. Where was Yvonne born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
2. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
3. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
4. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
5. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
2. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
4. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
5. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
6. What does Hugh hope has happened to his music career while he was at sea?
7. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
8. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
9. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
10. Where is the consul sent to live, as a young boy, after his parents died?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)