|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A midnight church service.
(b) A festival.
(c) A sacrifice.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
2. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
(a) News that the government has been overthrown.
(b) A notice that the consul has been fired.
(c) A letter letting Yvonne know that her mother has died.
(d) A letter Yvonne wrote over a year ago.
3. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(b) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(c) That Yvonne is pregnant.
(d) That he has given up drinking.
4. Who is Yvonne?
(a) The consul's estranged wife.
(b) The consul's sister.
(c) The consul's mother.
(d) The consul's nurse.
5. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With many of his officers.
(b) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(c) With no one -- he is alone.
(d) With a woman she doesn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hugh?
2. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
3. Who is Quincey?
4. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
5. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
2. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
3. What actually happens to Hugh's music career while he was at sea?
4. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
5. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
6. Why is the consul afraid of the doctor when he approaches him at Quincey's?
7. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
8. What mission did the consul complete successfully during his time in the British navy?
9. What does the consul think is the source of his visions and hallucinations?
10. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)