|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Hugh?
2. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(b) That he is the wisest man in town.
(c) That he is a very wealthy man.
(d) That he should get married soon.
3. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(b) The sound of sirens going by.
(c) Other people yelling.
(d) An annoying housemaid.
4. Where does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) At home, in bed.
(b) In a school.
(c) In his office.
(d) In a bar.
5. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
(a) He was filled with rage.
(b) He didn't really care.
(c) He was so drunk that he didn't even notice she left.
(d) He missed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the consul remember his childhood?
2. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
3. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
4. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
5. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
2. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
3. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
4. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
5. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
6. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
7. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
8. What two desires torment the consul?
9. When Yvonne has finally returned to their home, why does the consul initially think that she won't mind his drinking?
10. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)