|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
(a) We never find out.
(b) At night.
(c) In the morning.
(d) In the afternoon.
2. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A festival.
(b) A graduation.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A wedding.
3. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
(a) An old student of Yvonne's.
(b) A young girl who lives there.
(c) An old girlfriend of the consul's.
(d) The bar owner who is really quite mean.
4. Why must Yvonne and the consul pass up an invitation from the doctor?
(a) Because they are too poor to travel there.
(b) Because Yvonne is too distraught over her missing child.
(c) Because they burn the food they are supposed to bring.
(d) Because of his failing health.
5. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) One month.
(d) Five months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
2. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
3. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
4. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
5. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
2. While the consul is at Quincey's, what telling diagnosis from the doctor reveals just how much of an alcoholic the consul is?
3. What two desires torment the consul?
4. What advice does the doctor give the consul at Quincy's house?
5. Why does the town doctor refuse to treat the consul?
6. How does the consul react to Yvonne's arrival?
7. Why is the letter significant that the mailman brings, from Yvonne to Laruelle, while Yvonne is there with Hugh and the consul?
8. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
9. What does the consul know about any past relationship between Yvonne and Laruelle?
10. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)