|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
(a) A young girl who lives there.
(b) The bar owner who is really quite mean.
(c) An old girlfriend of the consul's.
(d) An old student of Yvonne's.
2. How does the consul remember his childhood?
(a) With rage.
(b) With nostalgia.
(c) With terror.
(d) With neither happiness nor sadness.
3. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(b) An annoying housemaid.
(c) Other people yelling.
(d) The sound of sirens going by.
4. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) It is written in Greek.
(b) It is very, very old.
(c) None of these items is correct.
(d) It had also been lent to the consul.
5. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
(a) Marry a very famous actress.
(b) Take a vow of silence for 6 months.
(c) Take a job much beneath him.
(d) Refuse to get paid for his concerts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
2. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
3. What event is happening when the novel beings?
4. What is the second theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
5. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh decide to become a reporter?
2. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
3. What does Laruelle observe about the consul's adoptive family?
4. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
5. What does the consul do when his estranged wife goes to take a bath?
6. How does Yvonne react to seeing the consul when she returns to Quauhnahuac?
7. What does the consul think and say about Yvonne's looks to her?
8. Why does Hugh feel cheated out of his experience at sea?
9. What kind of relationship do Hugh and Yvonne have?
10. Why is Yvonne returning to Quauhnahuac?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)