|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
(a) Refuse to get paid for his concerts.
(b) Marry a very famous actress.
(c) Take a vow of silence for 6 months.
(d) Take a job much beneath him.
2. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
(a) The town square.
(b) The cantina she used to hang out at a long time ago.
(c) The library.
(d) The consul's property.
3. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
(a) A whiskey.
(b) A vodka.
(c) A beer.
(d) A glass of wine.
4. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
(a) Throws herself off the balcony.
(b) Starts breaking dishes.
(c) Takes a bath.
(d) Leaves immediately.
5. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) A very slow turtle.
(b) The same goat.
(c) A rattlesnake.
(d) A dead dove.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
2. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
3. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
4. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
5. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the consul not translate the Spanish signs when he is lost in town?
2. What does Yvonne admit to Hugh about her plans for the consul?
3. How does the consul deal with his adoptive family's behavior?
4. Why is the consul sent away and stationed in his useless job in the small Mexican town where the novel takes place?
5. What does the consul know must happen for him to keep Yvonne?
6. Why does most of the consul's household staff leave him during his estranged wife's absence?
7. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's plans for her and the consul?
8. In Chapter 1, why does a crowd of people suddenly flood out of the theater?
9. What plans does Hugh confess to Yvonne during their walk?
10. What does the consul begin to think about Yvonne after her bath?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)