|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She powders her nose.
(b) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(c) She works on her stitching.
(d) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
2. What does Yvonne think would prove healing for the consul?
(a) Privacy and quiet.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) Only poor people.
(b) Only rich people.
(c) All kinds.
(d) Only soldiers and their families.
4. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(b) None -- this is a trick question.
5. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
(a) The existence of God.
(c) Local politics and world affairs.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
6. Who does the consul claim had the right to die?
(c) The man they observed on the bus.
7. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
(a) That she is lost from him forever.
(b) That things are finally looking up with them.
(c) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(d) That she has cheated on him with Hugh.
8. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
(a) A small little girl she sees.
(b) The heat.
(c) A familiar melody she hears on the wind.
(d) A picture she finds in her wallet.
9. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) An angel.
(b) His mother.
(c) The devil.
(d) His father.
10. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) Because her mother is calling her on her cell phone.
(b) Because she has had a vision and needs to see her son immediately.
(c) Because she wants to see the Day of the Dead festivities.
(d) Because she is not feeling very well.
11. What makes the bull fight so unentertaining?
(a) There is no music.
(b) The bull has clearly been drugged.
(c) It is over in fewer than 30 seconds.
(d) The bull refuses to fight.
12. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(a) Mexico City.
13. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) A letter from Yvonne.
(d) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
14. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
(a) That they will have twins very soon.
(b) That they will be happy together in the future.
(c) That they will die that night.
(d) That they will become very rich.
15. How does the consul leave the hotel restaurant?
(a) He makes a scene and storms out.
(b) He sneaks out the bathroom window in order to avoid paying his bill.
(c) He leaves in handcuffs when the police come to get him.
(d) He passes out and has to be carried out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police demand of the consul?
2. What small charge do the police accuse the consul of?
3. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
4. How does Yvonne feel about attending the bull fight?
5. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)