|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Into the volcano.
(b) Into the river he jumps into.
(c) Up the volcano.
(d) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
2. As she and Hugh are chasing the consul, what does she point out always upsets the consul?
(a) Her perfume.
(b) Bad waitresses.
3. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul is drinking again.
(b) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
(c) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
(d) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
4. What Biblical allusion does the consul use after the trio's bus ride?
(a) The story of Joshua.
(b) The story of Job.
(c) The story of the plagues.
(d) The birth of Jesus.
5. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
(b) A nice, relaxing massage.
6. What makes the bull fight so unentertaining?
(a) The bull has clearly been drugged.
(b) There is no music.
(c) It is over in fewer than 30 seconds.
(d) The bull refuses to fight.
7. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
(b) Poor children.
(c) Fried food.
(d) Her old boyfriend.
8. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
(b) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
(c) To move away to Canada.
(d) To relocate to Hawaii.
9. Where do the animals ride on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(b) Both inside and outside.
(d) No animals are allowed anywhere on this bus.
10. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
(a) A picture she finds in her wallet.
(b) The heat.
(c) A small little girl she sees.
(d) A familiar melody she hears on the wind.
11. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
12. Why does Laruelle leave the consul alone in his own home?
(a) Because he goes to take a shower.
(b) Because he is trying to catch him stealing things.
(c) Because he doesn't want him driving home.
(d) Because he has given up on him.
13. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
(a) Just one little sip.
14. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
(a) The existence of God.
(c) Local politics and world affairs.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
15. Where do the police start following the consul?
(a) After he gets off the bus.
(b) After he leaves the hotel.
(c) After he leaves the restaurant.
(d) After he leaves the brothel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
4. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
5. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)