|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(c) The consul.
(d) The bad waitress.
2. What does Hugh buy as he and Yvonne are searching for the consul?
(a) A necklace.
(b) An armadillo for Yvonne.
(c) A shotglass for the consul.
(d) A guitar.
3. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
(b) To move away to Canada.
(c) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
(d) To relocate to Hawaii.
4. Where do the animals ride on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(b) Both inside and outside.
(d) No animals are allowed anywhere on this bus.
5. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
(a) The existence of God.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Local politics and world affairs.
6. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
(a) Because he wants to check on the consul.
(b) Because he had a doctor's appointment.
(c) Because they have a card game every Wednesday night.
(d) Because he had to drop off some medicine.
7. Where do the police start following the consul?
(a) After he leaves the brothel.
(b) After he leaves the restaurant.
(c) After he gets off the bus.
(d) After he leaves the hotel.
8. What Biblical allusion does the consul use after the trio's bus ride?
(a) The birth of Jesus.
(b) The story of the plagues.
(c) The story of Joshua.
(d) The story of Job.
9. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
(a) Because he hasn't said his hellos.
(b) Because he says it would be rude.
(c) Because the food is just too delicious to leave uneaten.
(d) Because he hasn't had time to present them with gifts.
10. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(b) Very serious.
11. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(c) Mexico City.
12. What makes Yvonne fall (the first time) while searching for the consul in the storm?
(a) Slippery rocks.
(b) A rat she steps on.
(c) A trap he set for her.
(d) A broken ankle.
13. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Up the volcano.
(b) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
(c) Into the river he jumps into.
(d) Into the volcano.
14. Where does the consul plan to meet Hugh and Yvonne after all three have been at Laruelle's house?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The waterfall.
(d) A local cantina.
15. How could Hugh, the consul, and Yvonne's visit to Laruelle best be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
2. How does Yvonne feel about attending the bull fight?
3. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
4. Where do Hugh and Yvonne keep checking for the consul?
5. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)