|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Takes a shower.
(c) Goes swimming.
(d) Orders room service.
2. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(c) People from his past.
(d) Famous people.
3. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) His mother.
(b) An angel.
(c) The devil.
(d) His father.
4. Who does the consul claim had the right to die?
(c) The man they observed on the bus.
5. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
(a) The oldest of men.
(b) The drunkest of onlookers.
(c) The children.
(d) The young boys.
6. Where do the police begin to take the consul?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) A ship where he will be sent to another country.
(c) A castle where they torture people.
7. What does Hugh buy as he and Yvonne are searching for the consul?
(a) A necklace.
(b) An armadillo for Yvonne.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A shotglass for the consul.
8. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He supports them.
(b) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(c) He uses his connections to help her.
(d) He refuses to hear about them.
9. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
(b) The consul.
10. What does the consul continue to do as he heads up the mountain?
11. Where do Hugh and Yvonne keep checking for the consul?
(b) Police stations.
12. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
(a) That they will become very rich.
(b) That they will die that night.
(c) That they will have twins very soon.
(d) That they will be happy together in the future.
13. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
(a) He thinks he is much older than he really is.
(b) He thinks he is much younger than he really is.
(c) He calls him by the wrong name.
(d) He thinks he is a woman.
14. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
(a) Orders room service.
(b) Goes swimming.
(c) Takes a shower.
(d) Takes a nap.
15. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His amazing wealth.
(b) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
(c) He fine and beautiful clothes.
(d) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the consul leave the hotel restaurant?
2. What do the police demand of the consul?
3. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
4. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
5. What makes Yvonne fall (the first time) while searching for the consul in the storm?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)