|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the storm come from?
(a) Seemingly out of the volcano.
(b) Over the mountains.
(c) Seemingly out of the sea.
(d) Out of nowhere; it literally just appears, to everyone's confusion.
2. Who does Yvonne think is to blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) The waitress.
(b) Not Hugh.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Not the consul.
3. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
(d) Just one little sip.
4. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
(a) Because she is a bad waitress.
(b) Because she has poor English.
(c) Because she keeps spilling everything.
(d) Because she is laughing at really bad jokes.
5. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
(a) A whore.
(b) No one -- this is a trick question.
(d) An old girlfriend.
6. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
(a) The consul.
7. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) Because she has had a vision and needs to see her son immediately.
(b) Because her mother is calling her on her cell phone.
(c) Because she is not feeling very well.
(d) Because she wants to see the Day of the Dead festivities.
8. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
(a) Because he had a doctor's appointment.
(b) Because they have a card game every Wednesday night.
(c) Because he had to drop off some medicine.
(d) Because he wants to check on the consul.
9. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
(b) To relocate to Hawaii.
(c) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
(d) To move away to Canada.
10. What does Yvonne not want to see at the bull fight?
(a) Poor children.
(c) Her old boyfriend.
(d) Fried food.
11. What is mescal?
(a) A drink that is supposed to give you a lot of energy.
(b) A water with apparent mystical qualities.
(c) A juice made from a cactus flower.
(d) A local alcoholic beverage.
12. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) A letter from Yvonne.
(b) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
(c) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
(d) The newspaper.
13. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He uses his connections to help her.
(b) He supports them.
(c) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(d) He refuses to hear about them.
14. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
(a) All of these answers is correct.
(b) The consul.
15. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
(a) Orders room service.
(b) Goes swimming.
(c) Takes a shower.
(d) Takes a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
2. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
3. Where does the consul plan to meet Hugh and Yvonne after all three have been at Laruelle's house?
4. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
5. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)