|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the consul leave the hotel restaurant?
(a) He makes a scene and storms out.
(b) He sneaks out the bathroom window in order to avoid paying his bill.
(c) He passes out and has to be carried out.
(d) He leaves in handcuffs when the police come to get him.
2. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) An angel.
(b) His father.
(c) The devil.
(d) His mother.
3. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(c) No one -- it is too expensive.
(d) The consul.
4. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(b) She works on her stitching.
(c) She powders her nose.
(d) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He uses his connections to help her.
(b) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(c) He refuses to hear about them.
(d) He supports them.
6. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) An empty tequila bottle.
(b) His wallet.
(c) Some dirt to cover their crime.
(d) A dead dog.
7. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Into the volcano.
(b) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
(c) Up the volcano.
(d) Into the river he jumps into.
8. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
(a) Someone who then takes the bus hostage.
(b) A man who has obviously been mugged.
(c) The local mayor.
(d) A famous musician.
9. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
(a) Goes swimming.
(b) Takes a shower.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Orders room service.
10. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
(b) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
(c) His amazing wealth.
(d) He fine and beautiful clothes.
11. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
(a) A large city and its large buildings.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) A forest fire that is providing a glow in the night sky.
12. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
(a) Because he hasn't had time to present them with gifts.
(b) Because he says it would be rude.
(c) Because the food is just too delicious to leave uneaten.
(d) Because he hasn't said his hellos.
13. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
(b) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
(c) A letter from Yvonne.
(d) The newspaper.
14. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
(a) A rest stop.
(b) A McDonald's.
(c) A shopping mall.
(d) The wilderness.
15. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
(a) Because she is laughing at really bad jokes.
(b) Because she has poor English.
(c) Because she keeps spilling everything.
(d) Because she is a bad waitress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
2. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
3. Where does the consul plan to meet Hugh and Yvonne after all three have been at Laruelle's house?
4. What do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul argue about over dinner at the hotel?
5. Who does the consul have sex with on his way up the mountain?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)