|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
(a) A fashion designer.
(b) A famous singer.
(c) A Hollywood actress.
(d) A model.
2. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) Both of these answers are correct.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) More money for his time with the whore.
(d) More money for his drinks.
3. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(b) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
(c) She powders her nose.
(d) She works on her stitching.
4. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
(b) To move away to Canada.
(c) To relocate to Hawaii.
(d) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
5. Who does Yvonne think is to blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) The waitress.
(b) Not Hugh.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Not the consul.
6. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) Because she wants to see the Day of the Dead festivities.
(b) Because she is not feeling very well.
(c) Because she has had a vision and needs to see her son immediately.
(d) Because her mother is calling her on her cell phone.
7. Why do Yvonne and Hugh make fun of the waitress at the hotel?
(a) Because she has poor English.
(b) Because she is laughing at really bad jokes.
(c) Because she keeps spilling everything.
(d) Because she is a bad waitress.
8. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
9. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
(c) Just one little sip.
10. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(b) None -- this is a trick question.
11. What does Hugh observe Yvonne and the consul doing on the bus?
(a) Holding hands.
(c) Poisoning each other's drinks.
(d) Selling drugs.
12. Where do the police begin to take the consul?
(a) A ship where he will be sent to another country.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) A castle where they torture people.
13. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
(b) Into the volcano.
(c) Up the volcano.
(d) Into the river he jumps into.
14. What small charge do the police accuse the consul of?
(a) Stealing a horse.
(b) Tricking the local government into giving him money.
(d) Trying to bribe them.
15. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(b) Famous people.
(d) People from his past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
2. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
3. What is mescal?
4. Where do Hugh and Yvonne keep checking for the consul?
5. Where do the police start following the consul?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)