|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the storm come from?
(a) Seemingly out of the sea.
(b) Out of nowhere; it literally just appears, to everyone's confusion.
(c) Over the mountains.
(d) Seemingly out of the volcano.
2. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
(a) All of the cute children.
(b) How handsome the consul is.
(c) All the handsome men without girlfriends.
(d) Movie posters.
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) All kinds.
(b) Only rich people.
(c) Only soldiers and their families.
(d) Only poor people.
4. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
(a) He thinks he is a woman.
(b) He calls him by the wrong name.
(c) He thinks he is much younger than he really is.
(d) He thinks he is much older than he really is.
5. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) A dead dog.
(b) Some dirt to cover their crime.
(c) His wallet.
(d) An empty tequila bottle.
6. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(b) Because the consul is drinking again.
(c) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
(d) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
7. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
(b) His amazing wealth.
(c) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
(d) He fine and beautiful clothes.
8. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(a) The consul.
(d) No one -- it is too expensive.
9. How does Hugh react to Yvonne's request to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) He slaps her in an attempt to establish his authority.
(b) He wants to accompany her out.
(c) He wants to stay.
(d) He ignores her requests.
10. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(c) Mexico City.
11. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
(a) That they will die that night.
(b) That they will become very rich.
(c) That they will have twins very soon.
(d) That they will be happy together in the future.
12. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) An angel.
(d) The devil.
13. Which member of the visiting trio stays behind at Laruelle's home?
(a) The consul.
(d) All of these answers is correct.
14. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(b) Famous people.
(c) People from his past.
15. What does Yvonne think would prove healing for the consul?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(d) Privacy and quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
2. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
3. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
4. What do the police demand of the consul?
5. Where do the police start following the consul?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)