|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(a) No one -- it is too expensive.
(c) The consul.
2. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) The devil.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) An angel.
3. What makes the bull fight so unentertaining?
(a) The bull refuses to fight.
(b) The bull has clearly been drugged.
(c) It is over in fewer than 30 seconds.
(d) There is no music.
4. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
(b) A nice, relaxing massage.
5. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
(a) The wilderness.
(b) A shopping mall.
(c) A McDonald's.
(d) A rest stop.
6. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
(a) That she has cheated on him with Hugh.
(b) That she is lost from him forever.
(c) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(d) That things are finally looking up with them.
7. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) Because her mother is calling her on her cell phone.
(b) Because she wants to see the Day of the Dead festivities.
(c) Because she is not feeling very well.
(d) Because she has had a vision and needs to see her son immediately.
8. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
(a) That they will die that night.
(b) That they will be happy together in the future.
(c) That they will have twins very soon.
(d) That they will become very rich.
9. What does Yvonne tell the consul her hopes for them for the future are?
(a) To move away to Canada.
(b) To sail off somewhere in a ship -- she doesn't care where.
(c) To get remarried and try for children in Mexico.
(d) To relocate to Hawaii.
10. How could Hugh, the consul, and Yvonne's visit to Laruelle best be described?
11. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(a) People from his past.
(c) Famous people.
12. Where do the police begin to take the consul?
(a) A ship where he will be sent to another country.
(b) The courthouse.
(d) A castle where they torture people.
13. What does Hugh observe Yvonne and the consul doing on the bus?
(a) Selling drugs.
(b) Holding hands.
(c) Poisoning each other's drinks.
14. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) An empty tequila bottle.
(b) A dead dog.
(c) His wallet.
(d) Some dirt to cover their crime.
15. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(b) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
(c) Because the consul is drinking again.
(d) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police start following the consul?
2. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
3. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
4. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
5. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)