|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
(a) Because she wants to see the Day of the Dead festivities.
(b) Because her mother is calling her on her cell phone.
(c) Because she has had a vision and needs to see her son immediately.
(d) Because she is not feeling very well.
2. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Into the river he jumps into.
(b) Up the volcano.
(c) Into the volcano.
(d) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
3. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) Only rich people.
(b) Only poor people.
(c) Only soldiers and their families.
(d) All kinds.
4. What does Laruelle comment on in regard to the consul's behavior?
(a) His lack of excitement about Yvonne's return.
(b) He fine and beautiful clothes.
(c) His amazing wealth.
(d) His lack of involvement in the town's messy politics.
5. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
(c) Very serious.
6. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(b) None -- this is a trick question.
7. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
(c) Armed robbery.
(d) Being a known criminal.
8. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
(a) Movie posters.
(b) How handsome the consul is.
(c) All of the cute children.
(d) All the handsome men without girlfriends.
9. How does Yvonne keep herself busy during the bull fight?
(a) She pretends to fall and need to go to the doctor.
(b) She powders her nose.
(c) She pretends to be fixing her dress.
(d) She works on her stitching.
10. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
(a) Because he had a doctor's appointment.
(b) Because he had to drop off some medicine.
(c) Because he wants to check on the consul.
(d) Because they have a card game every Wednesday night.
11. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
(a) One of foreboding.
(b) One of great luck.
(c) One of extreme joy.
(d) One of peace and calm.
12. What does the consul think he sees as the bus passes a park?
(a) An angel.
(b) The devil.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
13. What is mescal?
(a) A juice made from a cactus flower.
(b) A drink that is supposed to give you a lot of energy.
(c) A local alcoholic beverage.
(d) A water with apparent mystical qualities.
14. What do the police demand of the consul?
(a) That he show up for court the next day.
(b) To see his papers.
(c) That he leave their town immediately.
(d) At least $1000.
15. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) Both of these answers are correct.
(c) More money for his drinks.
(d) More money for his time with the whore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
2. Who does Hugh blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
3. What prompts Yvonne to start thinking of her own childhood?
4. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
5. Who does Yvonne think is to blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)