|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) A letter from Yvonne.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
(d) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
2. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Go to Canada on her own.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Go to sleep.
3. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
(d) Just one little sip.
4. What does Hugh do when he gets to the hotel with Yvonne and the consul?
(a) Takes a shower.
(b) Orders room service.
(c) Goes swimming.
(d) Takes a nap.
5. What small charge do the police accuse the consul of?
(a) Stealing a horse.
(b) Trying to bribe them.
(d) Tricking the local government into giving him money.
6. What insult does Laruelle unintentionally inflict upon Hugh?
(a) He thinks he is much older than he really is.
(b) He thinks he is much younger than he really is.
(c) He calls him by the wrong name.
(d) He thinks he is a woman.
7. What larger charge do the police accuse the consul?
(c) Being a known criminal.
(d) Armed robbery.
8. Where does the bus stop for a bathroom break?
(a) A rest stop.
(b) A McDonald's.
(c) A shopping mall.
(d) The wilderness.
9. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) Both of these answers are correct.
(c) More money for his drinks.
(d) More money for his time with the whore.
10. Where do Hugh, Yvonne, and the consul plan to travel by bus?
(d) Mexico City.
11. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
12. What kind of person do the police accuse the consul of being?
(a) A woman in disguise.
(b) A fake priest.
(c) A spy for the Spanish government.
(d) A communist.
13. Who jumps into the arena during the bullfight?
(b) The consul.
14. What do Hugh and Yvonne find of the consul's to indicate they are on the right path while looking for him?
(a) One of his shoes.
(b) A receipt.
(c) His glasses.
(d) An empty bottle of his favorite beer.
15. What Biblical allusion does the consul use after the trio's bus ride?
(a) The story of the plagues.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(c) The story of Job.
(d) The story of Joshua.
Short Answer Questions
1. What geographical item does Yvonne admire in the distance after the bus ride?
2. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
3. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
4. In his internal dialogue, to what does the consul compare staying at Laruelle's home?
5. Who does the consul claim had the right to die?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)