|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
2. Who gets on the bus when it stops for a bathroom break?
(a) A famous musician.
(b) Someone who then takes the bus hostage.
(c) A man who has obviously been mugged.
(d) The local mayor.
3. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
(a) A famous singer.
(b) A Hollywood actress.
(c) A model.
(d) A fashion designer.
4. Who does Yvonne notice seems to enjoy the bull fight the most?
(a) The drunkest of onlookers.
(b) The oldest of men.
(c) The young boys.
(d) The children.
5. How has the consul reacted to Yvonne's childhood dreams?
(a) He refuses to hear about them.
(b) He supports them.
(c) He says he supports her but then sabotages all her efforts behind her back.
(d) He uses his connections to help her.
6. What kind of feeling does Yvonne have while searching for the consul in the storm?
(a) One of foreboding.
(b) One of extreme joy.
(c) One of great luck.
(d) One of peace and calm.
7. What does the widow lady predict for the consul and Yvonne?
(a) That they will have twins very soon.
(b) That they will become very rich.
(c) That they will die that night.
(d) That they will be happy together in the future.
8. What kind of person do the police accuse the consul of being?
(a) A fake priest.
(b) A woman in disguise.
(c) A spy for the Spanish government.
(d) A communist.
9. Why do Yvonne and Hugh become upset during dinner?
(a) Because the waitress keeps messing up their food.
(b) Because the consul is drinking again.
(c) Because the consul refuses to speak in English anymore.
(d) Because of some unruly patrons at the next table.
10. What does the consul think about Yvonne as he storms out of the hotel restaurant?
(a) That she is lost from him forever.
(b) That she has cheated on him with Hugh.
(c) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(d) That things are finally looking up with them.
11. What does the consul continue to do as he heads up the mountain?
12. Who drinks mescal at the hotel?
(c) No one -- it is too expensive.
(d) The consul.
13. Who does Yvonne think is to blame for the upset at dinner at the hotel?
(a) Not the consul.
(b) Not Hugh.
(c) The waitress.
(d) Her mother.
14. What do the police demand from the consul when they confront him?
(a) More money for his time with the whore.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) More money for his drinks.
(d) Both of these answers are correct.
15. Where do Yvonne and Hugh chase the consul after dinner at the hotel?
(a) Into the volcano.
(b) Down the winding streets of Mexico City.
(c) Into the river he jumps into.
(d) Up the volcano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
2. How does Yvonne feel about attending the bull fight?
3. What Biblical allusion does the consul use after the trio's bus ride?
4. What final reason does Yvonne give about why she wants to leave Laruelle's home?
5. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)