|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the animals ride on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) No animals are allowed anywhere on this bus.
(b) Both inside and outside.
2. What do Hugh and Yvonne find of the consul's to indicate they are on the right path while looking for him?
(a) A receipt.
(b) His glasses.
(c) An empty bottle of his favorite beer.
(d) One of his shoes.
3. What do the police kick on top of the consul's dead body?
(a) A dead dog.
(b) His wallet.
(c) Some dirt to cover their crime.
(d) An empty tequila bottle.
4. Where does the consul plan to meet Hugh and Yvonne after all three have been at Laruelle's house?
(a) A local cantina.
(b) The waterfall.
(c) The courthouse.
(d) The bus station.
5. What kind of music do Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul listen to during dinner?
(d) None -- this is a trick question.
6. What does the consul read as he continues to head up the mountain after he storms out of his hotel?
(a) A book of poetry he wrote as a kid.
(b) A letter from Yvonne.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The letter he got that informs him he's been fired.
7. What kinds of people are on the bus that Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul take together?
(a) Only soldiers and their families.
(b) All kinds.
(c) Only rich people.
(d) Only poor people.
8. Why does the visitor arrive at Laruelle's house?
(a) Because he had to drop off some medicine.
(b) Because they have a card game every Wednesday night.
(c) Because he wants to check on the consul.
(d) Because he had a doctor's appointment.
9. As the storm approaches, what does Yvonne claim she would rather do than find her estranged husband?
(a) Go to Canada on her own.
(b) Go to sleep.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Get drunk.
10. What does Yvonne notice during the bus ride with the consul and Hugh?
(a) Movie posters.
(b) All the handsome men without girlfriends.
(c) All of the cute children.
(d) How handsome the consul is.
11. How does Yvonne feel about attending the bull fight?
(a) She doesn't want to.
(b) She has already bet against the bull and can't wait for the fight.
(c) She just wants to go shopping instead.
(d) She is excited about it.
12. What reason does the consul give about why they should not leave Laruelle's home so soon after they arrived (as Yvonne proposes)?
(a) Because the food is just too delicious to leave uneaten.
(b) Because he hasn't said his hellos.
(c) Because he says it would be rude.
(d) Because he hasn't had time to present them with gifts.
13. What does the consul imagine seeing while he listens to Hugh and Yvonne at the hotel?
(a) People from his past.
(d) Famous people.
14. How does the consul leave the hotel restaurant?
(a) He leaves in handcuffs when the police come to get him.
(b) He makes a scene and storms out.
(c) He sneaks out the bathroom window in order to avoid paying his bill.
(d) He passes out and has to be carried out.
15. Where does the storm come from?
(a) Seemingly out of the sea.
(b) Seemingly out of the volcano.
(c) Out of nowhere; it literally just appears, to everyone's confusion.
(d) Over the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yvonne do when she gets to the hotel with Hugh and the consul?
2. What did Yvonne dream of becoming when she was a child?
3. What kind of atmosphere does the bus have?
4. How many drinks does the consul have during dinner at the hotel?
5. What does Lowry describe the train (that the bus passes) as doing during its rest in the landscape?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)