|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) It is exactly as he thought.
(b) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
(c) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
(d) It is much happier than he thought.
2. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) How long she will stay.
(b) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(c) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(d) Where she will be sleeping.
3. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
4. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(b) The mayor's.
(d) Yvonne's mother's.
5. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) Five months.
6. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
7. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 20 years.
8. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
(a) A less potent beer.
(b) A stronger whiskey.
(c) A less potent whiskey.
(d) A stronger beer.
9. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
10. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Confused about her new job.
(c) Sad about her dead baby.
(d) Furious at her terrible new boss.
11. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
(a) Refuse to get paid for his concerts.
(b) Take a vow of silence for 6 months.
(c) Take a job much beneath him.
(d) Marry a very famous actress.
12. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) It is written in Greek.
(b) It had also been lent to the consul.
(c) It is very, very old.
(d) None of these items is correct.
13. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
(b) The voices in his head.
(c) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
(d) The voices of his children.
14. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A man passing by.
(b) A ghost.
(c) The doctor.
(d) His father.
15. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(c) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
2. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
3. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
4. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
5. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)