|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) The government was overthrown.
(b) He passed out.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He broke his ankle.
2. How old is Hugh?
3. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
(a) Because he wants to try Yvonne's favorite drink.
(b) Because his favorite movie star drinks it in the movies.
(c) To save money.
(d) Because of its rumored vitamin properties.
4. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
5. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) During childhood.
(b) Exactly one year ago today.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) Just the other day.
6. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
(a) He takes a long, hot bath.
(b) He collapses.
(c) He finds out he's been robbed.
(d) He starts singing.
7. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
(a) Trying to sell fresh bread.
(b) Playing dominoes.
(c) Weaving a beautiful tapestry.
8. What does someone make fun of the consul for during his walk with Yvonne back to their house once she has returned?
(a) For his out-of-date shoes.
(b) For his limp.
(c) For his ugliness.
(d) For his bad Spanish.
9. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
10. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) One month.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five months.
11. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A ride.
(b) To call an ambulance.
(c) A drink.
(d) A cane.
12. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
(a) A silk suit she gave him many years ago.
(b) His pajamas.
(c) A police officer's outfit.
(d) A Mexican cowboy outfit.
13. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
14. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) How long she will stay.
(b) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(c) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(d) Where she will be sleeping.
15. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
(a) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Quincey?
2. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
3. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
4. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
5. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)