|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(b) That he is a very wealthy man.
(c) That he is the wisest man in town.
(d) That he should get married soon.
2. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) Where she will be sleeping.
(b) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(c) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(d) How long she will stay.
3. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(b) That they are just in it for the money.
(c) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(d) That they are all murderous liars.
4. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
(a) Into the sewers to hide from the rebels.
(b) Yvonne's new apartment.
(c) He flees the country.
5. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) He passed out.
(b) He broke his ankle.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) The government was overthrown.
6. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
(a) Along the beach.
(b) In the cold mountains.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) In the hot jungle.
7. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
(a) A copy of the consul's will.
(b) Letters from the consul that he never sent.
(c) A $100 bill.
(d) A letter from Yvonne.
8. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
(a) Running from the law.
(b) Trying to plot against the consul.
(c) Falling in love with someone else.
9. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(a) Malcolm Lowry.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Janet Lowry.
10. What does Yvonne drink in the brewery?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) A whiskey.
(c) Nothing -- she is afraid of becoming like her husband.
(d) A beer.
11. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) Lots of women.
(b) The approval of his parents.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Fame and fortune.
12. For what company does Hugh work?
(a) The Madrid Daily.
(b) El Mundo.
(c) The London Globe.
(d) The Boston Globe.
13. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
14. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) Just a week.
(b) One year to the day.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several years.
15. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(b) That he has given up drinking.
(c) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(d) That Yvonne is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
2. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
4. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
5. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)