|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Yvonne born?
2. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
(a) A less potent whiskey.
(b) A less potent beer.
(c) A stronger whiskey.
(d) A stronger beer.
3. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) Exactly one year ago today.
(c) During childhood.
(d) Just the other day.
4. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) His father.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A man passing by.
5. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) He broke his ankle.
(b) The government was overthrown.
(c) He passed out.
(d) He was arrested.
6. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) Several months.
(b) Just a week.
(c) Several years.
(d) One year to the day.
7. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A festival.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A midnight church service.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
8. What does someone make fun of the consul for during his walk with Yvonne back to their house once she has returned?
(a) For his limp.
(b) For his ugliness.
(c) For his out-of-date shoes.
(d) For his bad Spanish.
9. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With a woman she doesn't know.
(b) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(c) With no one -- he is alone.
(d) With many of his officers.
10. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
(a) Their favorite author.
(b) Current movies.
(c) What each wants for dinner that night.
(d) Old movies.
11. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Sad about her dead baby.
(c) Furious at her terrible new boss.
(d) Confused about her new job.
12. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In a cantina.
13. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(b) That Yvonne is pregnant.
(c) That he has given up drinking.
(d) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
14. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
(a) Trying to plot against the consul.
(b) Falling in love with someone else.
(c) Running from the law.
15. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
(a) Walking down the street.
(b) In a casino.
(c) In the doctor's office.
(d) In a church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
2. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
3. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
4. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
5. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)