|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
(a) Because of its rumored vitamin properties.
(b) Because he wants to try Yvonne's favorite drink.
(c) To save money.
(d) Because his favorite movie star drinks it in the movies.
2. When Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul leave the consul's house together, where do they intend to go?
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The zoo.
(d) The festival.
3. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) A rattlesnake.
(b) The same goat.
(c) A very slow turtle.
(d) A dead dove.
4. How does the consul remember his childhood?
(a) With nostalgia.
(b) With rage.
(c) With terror.
(d) With neither happiness nor sadness.
5. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
(a) The German army.
(b) The British navy.
(c) The German navy.
(d) The British army.
6. Where was Yvonne born?
7. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
(a) His elegance.
(b) His self control.
(c) His power.
(d) His money.
8. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
(a) Hugh's favorite book.
(b) A very large stash of cash.
(c) Hugh's clothes.
(d) Hugh's secret gun stash.
9. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) None of these items is correct.
(b) It is very, very old.
(c) It had also been lent to the consul.
(d) It is written in Greek.
10. Who is Quincey?
(a) The owner of the garden.
(b) The manager of the palace.
(c) The homeless man who lives in the alley.
(d) The librarian of the city.
11. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
(a) A Mexican cowboy outfit.
(b) A police officer's outfit.
(c) His pajamas.
(d) A silk suit she gave him many years ago.
12. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means where the sun never sets.
(b) That it means painted mountain.
(c) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
(d) That it means cold mountain water.
13. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
14. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
(a) A big city in America.
(b) A farm in Canada.
(c) A ranch in Hawaii.
(d) A castle in Spain.
15. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Confused about her new job.
(b) Sad about her dead baby.
(d) Furious at her terrible new boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
2. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
3. For what company does Hugh work?
4. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
5. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)