|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Just the other day.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) During childhood.
(d) Exactly one year ago today.
2. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
3. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
(a) At the top of the volcano.
(b) At the edge of a cliff.
(c) At some ancient ruins.
(d) At the movie theater.
4. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
(a) Dogs barking.
(b) The screeching of a train.
(c) His mother.
5. Where does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) In a school.
(b) In his office.
(c) In a bar.
(d) At home, in bed.
6. What does Hugh learn about the food on a ship?
(a) That it is just awful.
(b) That is it much better than he expected.
(c) That it is often infested with rats.
(d) That it is often infested with maggots.
7. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
(a) The town square.
(b) The library.
(c) The cantina she used to hang out at a long time ago.
(d) The consul's property.
8. What does Yvonne drink in the brewery?
(a) Nothing -- she is afraid of becoming like her husband.
(b) A whiskey.
(c) A beer.
(d) A glass of wine.
9. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(c) The sun.
10. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
(a) An electrical system.
(b) Dead meat.
(c) Razor blades.
(d) A calm ocean.
11. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
(b) Into the sewers to hide from the rebels.
(c) Yvonne's new apartment.
(d) He flees the country.
12. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
(a) Hugh's clothes.
(b) A very large stash of cash.
(c) Hugh's secret gun stash.
(d) Hugh's favorite book.
13. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
(a) He collapses.
(b) He starts singing.
(c) He finds out he's been robbed.
(d) He takes a long, hot bath.
14. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A man passing by.
(c) A ghost.
(d) His father.
15. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) A hospital.
(b) An American cattle ranch.
(c) A school.
(d) An England castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it when the novel opens?
2. Who is Maximilian?
3. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
4. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
5. From where does the consul call for help when Hugh is over?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)