|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh learn about the food on a ship?
(a) That it is often infested with maggots.
(b) That it is just awful.
(c) That is it much better than he expected.
(d) That it is often infested with rats.
2. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
(a) A very large statue of the child that they had that died.
(b) A very large statute of herself in a beautiful gown.
(c) A very large statue of himself in military dress.
(d) This is a trick question -- she doesn't bring him a large gift.
3. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
(a) The German navy.
(b) The British navy.
(c) The British army.
(d) The German army.
4. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(d) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
5. Where does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) In a bar.
(b) At home, in bed.
(c) In his office.
(d) In a school.
6. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) It had also been lent to the consul.
(b) It is written in Greek.
(c) None of these items is correct.
(d) It is very, very old.
7. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A man passing by.
(b) The doctor.
(c) His father.
(d) A ghost.
8. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(b) With many of his officers.
(c) With no one -- he is alone.
(d) With a woman she doesn't know.
9. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
10. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Lots of women.
(c) Fame and fortune.
(d) The approval of his parents.
11. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) One year.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five years.
(d) One month.
12. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
(c) A mysterious old woman.
(d) The doctor.
13. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(b) Malcolm Lowry.
(c) Janet Lowry.
(d) Malcolm X.
14. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) It is much happier than he thought.
(b) It is exactly as he thought.
(c) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
(d) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
15. Where does the novel begin?
(c) Puerto Vallarta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
2. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
3. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
4. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
5. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)