|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The American border.
(b) The Nicaraguan border.
(c) The Canadian border.
(d) The Spanish border.
2. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
(a) A notice that the consul has been fired.
(b) A letter letting Yvonne know that her mother has died.
(c) A letter Yvonne wrote over a year ago.
(d) News that the government has been overthrown.
3. From where does the consul call for help when Hugh is over?
(a) The bath.
(b) The garden.
(c) The basement.
(d) The kitchen.
4. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) A rattlesnake.
(b) The same goat.
(c) A very slow turtle.
(d) A dead dove.
5. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
6. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He works on the crew of a ship.
(b) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(c) He captains his own ship.
(d) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
7. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Just the other day.
(b) Exactly one year ago today.
(c) During childhood.
(d) Several years ago.
8. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) How long she will stay.
(b) Where she will be sleeping.
(c) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(d) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
9. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A lunar eclipse.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A festival.
(d) A midnight church service.
10. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they are all murderous liars.
(b) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(c) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(d) That they are just in it for the money.
11. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means cold mountain water.
(b) That it means painted mountain.
(c) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
(d) That it means where the sun never sets.
12. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(b) Elizabethan plays.
(c) Romantic poetry.
(d) Modern art.
13. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
(a) An armadillo.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A parrot.
(d) A kitten.
14. How does the consul remember his childhood?
(a) With nostalgia.
(b) With rage.
(c) With terror.
(d) With neither happiness nor sadness.
15. Who is Maximilian?
(a) The man who robs Hugh and Yvonne.
(b) Hugh and Yvonne's secret son.
(c) Yvonne's secret lover.
(d) A conqueror.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
2. How long has Yvonne been gone before she returns to Quauhnahuac?
3. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
4. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
5. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)