|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
(b) A whiskey.
(c) A beer.
(d) A glass of wine.
2. For what company does Hugh work?
(a) El Mundo.
(b) The Boston Globe.
(c) The London Globe.
(d) The Madrid Daily.
3. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A deranged man.
(d) A wild and rabid dog.
4. Who is Quincey?
(a) The owner of the garden.
(b) The homeless man who lives in the alley.
(c) The librarian of the city.
(d) The manager of the palace.
5. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
(a) He invites him in for dinner.
(b) He doesn't believe much of what he says.
(c) He chases him away by waving a gun.
(d) He forgives him for all of his sins.
6. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
(a) Leaves immediately.
(b) Throws herself off the balcony.
(c) Takes a bath.
(d) Starts breaking dishes.
7. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
(a) A $100 bill.
(b) A letter from Yvonne.
(c) A copy of the consul's will.
(d) Letters from the consul that he never sent.
8. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 25 minutes.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 5 seconds.
9. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(b) Where she will be sleeping.
(c) How long she will stay.
(d) When the judge will grant their divorce.
10. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
(a) At the movie theater.
(b) At some ancient ruins.
(c) At the top of the volcano.
(d) At the edge of a cliff.
11. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) During childhood.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) Exactly one year ago today.
(d) Just the other day.
12. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
(a) A puppy.
(b) An armadillo.
(c) A parrot.
(d) A kitten.
13. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The butcher.
(b) The painter.
(c) The driver.
(d) The maid.
14. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not yell once inside the palace.
(b) That he not steal books from the library.
(c) That he not vomit in the garden.
(d) That he not pass out in the alley.
15. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
2. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
3. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
4. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
5. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)