|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) The government was overthrown.
(b) He broke his ankle.
(c) He passed out.
(d) He was arrested.
2. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
3. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) A school.
(b) An American cattle ranch.
(c) A hospital.
(d) An England castle.
4. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
(a) A young girl who lives there.
(b) The bar owner who is really quite mean.
(c) An old student of Yvonne's.
(d) An old girlfriend of the consul's.
5. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
(a) He starts singing.
(b) He collapses.
(c) He takes a long, hot bath.
(d) He finds out he's been robbed.
6. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) None of these items is correct.
(b) It had also been lent to the consul.
(c) It is very, very old.
(d) It is written in Greek.
7. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
(a) The many buildings that he owns.
(b) Sites of great battles that he won.
(c) Places his friends used to live before they all died.
(d) Familiar landmarks.
8. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A mysterious old woman.
9. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(d) The sun.
10. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
(a) A letter Yvonne wrote over a year ago.
(b) A notice that the consul has been fired.
(c) A letter letting Yvonne know that her mother has died.
(d) News that the government has been overthrown.
11. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
12. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A drink.
(b) To call an ambulance.
(c) A ride.
(d) A cane.
13. What does the consul hallucinate and see his bathtub filled with?
(c) Boiling water.
14. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
(a) A hotel.
(b) The symphony.
(c) A cantina.
(d) A library.
15. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is the wisest man in town.
(b) That he should get married soon.
(c) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(d) That he is a very wealthy man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
2. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
3. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
4. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
5. What does the consul remember after he leaves Quincey's house?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)