|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day is it when the novel opens?
(c) Mexican Independence Day.
(d) Day of the Dead.
2. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(a) Just one.
(d) Too many to count.
3. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
4. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) The United States.
5. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A graduation.
(d) A festival.
6. Where was Yvonne born?
7. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
8. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) The approval of his parents.
(d) Lots of women.
9. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
(a) Hugh himself.
(c) The consul, though he ends up cutting himself quite badly.
(d) A servant.
10. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The American border.
(b) The Spanish border.
(c) The Canadian border.
(d) The Nicaraguan border.
11. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
(a) A whiskey.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A beer.
(d) A vodka.
12. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(b) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(c) That he has given up drinking.
(d) That Yvonne is pregnant.
13. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) It is written in Greek.
(b) None of these items is correct.
(c) It had also been lent to the consul.
(d) It is very, very old.
14. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) During childhood.
(c) Exactly one year ago today.
(d) Just the other day.
15. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A garden.
(b) A palace.
(c) A library.
(d) A dirty alleyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
2. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
3. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
4. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
5. How does the consul remember his childhood?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)