|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the novel begin?
(a) Puerto Vallarta.
2. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(b) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(c) Where she will be sleeping.
(d) How long she will stay.
3. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
(a) To save money.
(b) Because of its rumored vitamin properties.
(c) Because his favorite movie star drinks it in the movies.
(d) Because he wants to try Yvonne's favorite drink.
4. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He broke his ankle.
(c) The government was overthrown.
(d) He passed out.
5. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(a) Too many to count.
(c) Just one.
6. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(a) Malcolm Lowry.
(b) Janet Lowry.
(d) Malcolm X.
7. Who is Quincey?
(a) The homeless man who lives in the alley.
(b) The owner of the garden.
(c) The manager of the palace.
(d) The librarian of the city.
8. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
(a) At the edge of a cliff.
(b) At the movie theater.
(c) At the top of the volcano.
(d) At some ancient ruins.
9. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
(a) The British army.
(b) The German army.
(c) The British navy.
(d) The German navy.
10. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
(a) A mysterious old woman.
(c) The doctor.
11. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) Several months.
(b) Just a week.
(c) One year to the day.
(d) Several years.
12. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
(a) In a cantina.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In her bedroom.
13. What does Hugh learn about the food on a ship?
(a) That it is often infested with rats.
(b) That it is often infested with maggots.
(c) That is it much better than he expected.
(d) That it is just awful.
14. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
15. Who is Hugh?
(a) The consul's brother.
(b) The consul's doctor.
(c) The consul's son.
(d) The consul's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
2. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
3. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
4. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
5. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)