|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He works on the crew of a ship.
(b) He captains his own ship.
(c) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(d) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
2. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
(a) A wild and rabid dog.
(b) A deranged man.
(c) The doctor.
3. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
4. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
5. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
(a) Along the beach.
(b) In the countryside.
(c) In the hot jungle.
(d) In the cold mountains.
6. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
(a) A library.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A cantina.
(d) The symphony.
7. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not steal books from the library.
(b) That he not vomit in the garden.
(c) That he not pass out in the alley.
(d) That he not yell once inside the palace.
8. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
(a) In the doctor's office.
(b) In a church.
(c) Walking down the street.
(d) In a casino.
9. What does Hugh learn about the food on a ship?
(a) That it is just awful.
(b) That is it much better than he expected.
(c) That it is often infested with rats.
(d) That it is often infested with maggots.
10. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That Yvonne is pregnant.
(b) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(c) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(d) That he has given up drinking.
11. What does the consul hallucinate and see his bathtub filled with?
(c) Boiling water.
12. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) Mexico City.
13. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(a) The mayor's.
(d) Yvonne's mother's.
14. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
(a) A very large statute of herself in a beautiful gown.
(b) A very large statue of himself in military dress.
(c) A very large statue of the child that they had that died.
(d) This is a trick question -- she doesn't bring him a large gift.
15. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
(b) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
(c) It is exactly as he thought.
(d) It is much happier than he thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
2. Why must Yvonne and the consul pass up an invitation from the doctor?
3. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
4. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
5. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)