|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) The United States.
2. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices of his children.
(b) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
(c) The voices in his head.
(d) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
3. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(a) The mayor's.
(b) Yvonne's mother's.
4. What large gift does Yvonne bring to the consul upon her return?
(a) A very large statute of herself in a beautiful gown.
(b) A very large statue of the child that they had that died.
(c) A very large statue of himself in military dress.
(d) This is a trick question -- she doesn't bring him a large gift.
5. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(b) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(c) That they are just in it for the money.
(d) That they are all murderous liars.
6. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) Lots of women.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Fame and fortune.
(d) The approval of his parents.
7. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
(a) A letter Yvonne wrote over a year ago.
(b) A notice that the consul has been fired.
(c) A letter letting Yvonne know that her mother has died.
(d) News that the government has been overthrown.
8. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) To call an ambulance.
(b) A drink.
(c) A ride.
(d) A cane.
9. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
(b) A servant.
(c) The consul, though he ends up cutting himself quite badly.
(d) Hugh himself.
10. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
11. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
(a) Because he considers himself a musical genius.
(b) Because his father was a famous producer.
(c) Because his mother was a famous Spanish opera singer.
(d) Because his father was a famous musician.
12. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
(a) His money.
(b) His self control.
(c) His power.
(d) His elegance.
13. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
(a) At the edge of a cliff.
(b) At the top of the volcano.
(c) At some ancient ruins.
(d) At the movie theater.
14. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) A very slow turtle.
(b) A dead dove.
(c) A rattlesnake.
(d) The same goat.
15. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have both Hugh and Yvonne been doing over the past year?
2. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
3. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
4. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
5. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)