|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He captains his own ship.
(b) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
(c) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(d) He works on the crew of a ship.
2. Of what does the consul try to convince Quincey?
(a) That Yvonne is returning and will never leave again.
(b) That he has given up drinking.
(c) That he has a lot of money in his pockets.
(d) That Yvonne is pregnant.
3. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
(a) Too many to count.
(d) Just one.
4. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
(a) A deranged man.
(c) The doctor.
(d) A wild and rabid dog.
5. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
(a) A calm ocean.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) An electrical system.
(d) Dead meat.
6. Where does Hugh go after he returns home from his sea voyage?
7. What job does Hugh take after being at sea?
8. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
(a) Starts breaking dishes.
(b) Throws herself off the balcony.
(c) Takes a bath.
(d) Leaves immediately.
9. What happens when the consul arrives at his final destination after speaking with Quincey?
(a) He collapses.
(b) He starts singing.
(c) He finds out he's been robbed.
(d) He takes a long, hot bath.
10. What is the second theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means volcano of joy.
(b) That just uttering the word can give you magical powers.
(c) That it means where the eagle stops.
(d) That it means land of green snakes.
11. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
(a) Old movies.
(b) Current movies.
(c) What each wants for dinner that night.
(d) Their favorite author.
12. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
(a) Playing dominoes.
(b) Weaving a beautiful tapestry.
(c) Trying to sell fresh bread.
13. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
(a) A parrot.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
(d) An armadillo.
14. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) A beer.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
(d) A whiskey.
15. Who is Yvonne?
(a) The consul's mother.
(b) The consul's sister.
(c) The consul's nurse.
(d) The consul's estranged wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
2. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
3. How old is Hugh?
4. What is the consul served for breakfast upon Yvonne's return?
5. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)