|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) The approval of his parents.
(c) Fame and fortune.
(d) Lots of women.
2. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
(a) Letters from the consul that he never sent.
(b) A copy of the consul's will.
(c) A letter from Yvonne.
(d) A $100 bill.
3. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A palace.
(b) A library.
(c) A dirty alleyway.
(d) A garden.
4. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
(a) Take two aspirin and call him in the morning.
(b) Go to the hospital right away.
(c) Move to a warmer climate.
(d) Go out for the evening.
5. In which city did the consul and Yvonne have their last date before she left him?
(b) Mexico City.
(c) Los Angeles.
6. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
(a) Because he considers himself a musical genius.
(b) Because his father was a famous musician.
(c) Because his father was a famous producer.
(d) Because his mother was a famous Spanish opera singer.
7. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means painted mountain.
(b) That it means where the sun never sets.
(c) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
(d) That it means cold mountain water.
8. Where does the novel begin?
(c) Puerto Vallarta.
9. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
(b) A deranged man.
(c) A wild and rabid dog.
(d) The doctor.
10. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
(a) A mysterious old woman.
(b) The doctor.
11. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The driver.
(b) The maid.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The painter.
12. What does Yvonne drink in the brewery?
(a) Nothing -- she is afraid of becoming like her husband.
(b) A beer.
(c) A whiskey.
(d) A glass of wine.
13. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) The same goat.
(b) A very slow turtle.
(c) A dead dove.
(d) A rattlesnake.
14. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
(a) Hugh himself.
(b) A servant.
(c) The consul, though he ends up cutting himself quite badly.
15. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
(a) Dead meat.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) A calm ocean.
(d) An electrical system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
2. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
3. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
4. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
5. How old is Hugh?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)