|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
2. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
(a) Because the animal bites her.
(b) Because another patron outbids her during the auction.
(c) Because the price is too high.
(d) Because the consul has taken all of her money.
3. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
(a) In a casino.
(b) In the doctor's office.
(c) In a church.
(d) Walking down the street.
4. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
(a) Because his father was a famous producer.
(b) Because his mother was a famous Spanish opera singer.
(c) Because his father was a famous musician.
(d) Because he considers himself a musical genius.
5. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Fame and fortune.
(c) Lots of women.
(d) The approval of his parents.
6. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
(a) A less potent beer.
(b) A stronger whiskey.
(c) A less potent whiskey.
(d) A stronger beer.
7. Why must Yvonne and the consul pass up an invitation from the doctor?
(a) Because Yvonne is too distraught over her missing child.
(b) Because of his failing health.
(c) Because they burn the food they are supposed to bring.
(d) Because they are too poor to travel there.
8. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not yell once inside the palace.
(b) That he not vomit in the garden.
(c) That he not pass out in the alley.
(d) That he not steal books from the library.
9. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) An annoying housemaid.
(b) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(c) Other people yelling.
(d) The sound of sirens going by.
10. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(a) Yvonne's mother's.
(b) The mayor's.
11. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) A school.
(b) An England castle.
(c) A hospital.
(d) An American cattle ranch.
12. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a very wealthy man.
(b) That he is the wisest man in town.
(c) That he should get married soon.
(d) That he is a raging alcoholic.
13. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A palace.
(b) A library.
(c) A dirty alleyway.
(d) A garden.
14. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) His father.
(b) A man passing by.
(c) A ghost.
(d) The doctor.
15. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
(a) It is exactly as he thought.
(b) It is much more unhappy than he thought.
(c) It is much happier than he thought.
(d) He never thought he'd get to live this long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the book the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
2. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
3. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
4. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
5. What does Yvonne drink in the brewery?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)