|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
(a) A library.
(b) A dirty alleyway.
(c) A garden.
(d) A palace.
2. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
(a) Because he considers himself a musical genius.
(b) Because his mother was a famous Spanish opera singer.
(c) Because his father was a famous producer.
(d) Because his father was a famous musician.
3. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) Because he has a bad leg.
(b) Because someone trips him.
(c) Because someone shoots him.
(d) Because he is so drunk.
4. What does someone make fun of the consul for during his walk with Yvonne back to their house once she has returned?
(a) For his ugliness.
(b) For his limp.
(c) For his out-of-date shoes.
(d) For his bad Spanish.
5. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(b) The sun.
6. Who is Hugh?
(a) The consul's doctor.
(b) The consul's father.
(c) The consul's brother.
(d) The consul's son.
7. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
(a) A farm in Canada.
(b) A big city in America.
(c) A castle in Spain.
(d) A ranch in Hawaii.
8. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) A ghost.
(b) His father.
(c) The doctor.
(d) A man passing by.
9. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
10. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
(a) The British navy.
(b) The British army.
(c) The German army.
(d) The German navy.
11. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(d) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
12. What does the consul compare his nerves to when he doesn't have alcohol?
(a) A calm ocean.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) An electrical system.
(d) Dead meat.
13. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices in his head.
(b) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
(c) The voices of his children.
(d) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
14. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
(a) That it is time for him to do so.
(b) That he missed his chance to do so.
(c) That he will never have to do so.
(d) That he did so too early for a young man like himself.
15. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
2. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
3. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
4. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
5. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)