|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) His father.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A man passing by.
(d) The doctor.
2. What is the second theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means where the eagle stops.
(b) That just uttering the word can give you magical powers.
(c) That it means volcano of joy.
(d) That it means land of green snakes.
3. How did the consul feel after Yvonne initially left?
(a) He was so drunk that he didn't even notice she left.
(b) He didn't really care.
(c) He missed her.
(d) He was filled with rage.
4. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(b) That he is the wisest man in town.
(c) That he is a very wealthy man.
(d) That he should get married soon.
5. Where does the novel begin?
(a) Puerto Vallarta.
6. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
(a) Hugh's favorite book.
(b) Hugh's secret gun stash.
(c) Hugh's clothes.
(d) A very large stash of cash.
7. What does Laruelle find in the book the bartender returns to him?
(a) A letter from Yvonne.
(b) Letters from the consul that he never sent.
(c) A copy of the consul's will.
(d) A $100 bill.
8. For what company does Hugh work?
(a) The Boston Globe.
(b) El Mundo.
(c) The Madrid Daily.
(d) The London Globe.
9. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) Several months.
(b) Several years.
(c) One year to the day.
(d) Just a week.
10. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
(a) In the hot jungle.
(b) Along the beach.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) In the cold mountains.
11. How long has Laruelle been in Mexico?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
12. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) The government was overthrown.
(b) He broke his ankle.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He passed out.
13. With whom does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) With many of his officers.
(b) With his favorite dog, Perrito.
(c) With a woman she doesn't know.
(d) With no one -- he is alone.
14. What are Hugh and Yvonne discussing when they come across the brewery?
(a) Current movies.
(b) Old movies.
(c) Their favorite author.
(d) What each wants for dinner that night.
15. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A festival.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A midnight church service.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maximilian?
2. Who is Hugh?
3. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
4. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
5. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)