|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Maximilian?
(a) A conqueror.
(b) Yvonne's secret lover.
(c) The man who robs Hugh and Yvonne.
(d) Hugh and Yvonne's secret son.
2. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
(a) A less potent whiskey.
(b) A less potent beer.
(c) A stronger beer.
(d) A stronger whiskey.
3. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) The sound of sirens going by.
(b) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(c) An annoying housemaid.
(d) Other people yelling.
4. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A parrot.
(c) A kitten.
(d) An armadillo.
5. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Exactly one year ago today.
(b) Just the other day.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) During childhood.
6. How old is Hugh?
7. From where does the consul call for help when Hugh is over?
(a) The basement.
(b) The garden.
(c) The bath.
(d) The kitchen.
8. How long can the consul go without alcohol before feeling the effects of his withdrawal?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 5 seconds.
9. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(b) Yvonne's mother's.
(c) The mayor's.
10. How does the consul remember his childhood?
(a) With neither happiness nor sadness.
(b) With rage.
(c) With terror.
(d) With nostalgia.
11. What day is it when the novel opens?
(b) Day of the Dead.
(d) Mexican Independence Day.
12. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they are just in it for the money.
(b) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(c) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(d) That they are all murderous liars.
13. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) A beer.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A whiskey.
(d) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
14. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
(d) The United States.
15. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
(a) Because the price is too high.
(b) Because another patron outbids her during the auction.
(c) Because the animal bites her.
(d) Because the consul has taken all of her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
2. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
3. Where does the novel begin?
4. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
5. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)