|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Furious at her terrible new boss.
(b) Sad about her dead baby.
(d) Confused about her new job.
2. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
3. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
(a) That he will never have to do so.
(b) That he did so too early for a young man like himself.
(c) That it is time for him to do so.
(d) That he missed his chance to do so.
4. When Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul leave the consul's house together, where do they intend to go?
(a) The festival.
(c) The zoo.
(d) The courthouse.
5. Who is Yvonne?
(a) The consul's sister.
(b) The consul's mother.
(c) The consul's estranged wife.
(d) The consul's nurse.
6. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The maid.
(b) The driver.
(c) The painter.
(d) The butcher.
7. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) A school.
(b) An England castle.
(c) A hospital.
(d) An American cattle ranch.
8. Who is Hugh?
(a) The consul's doctor.
(b) The consul's son.
(c) The consul's brother.
(d) The consul's father.
9. Who is Quincey?
(a) The homeless man who lives in the alley.
(b) The librarian of the city.
(c) The owner of the garden.
(d) The manager of the palace.
10. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
(b) Malcolm Lowry.
(c) Janet Lowry.
(d) Malcolm X.
11. Where was Yvonne born?
12. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
(a) The United States.
13. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(b) The sun.
14. What does someone make fun of the consul for during his walk with Yvonne back to their house once she has returned?
(a) For his out-of-date shoes.
(b) For his bad Spanish.
(c) For his ugliness.
(d) For his limp.
15. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
(a) His pajamas.
(b) A Mexican cowboy outfit.
(c) A silk suit she gave him many years ago.
(d) A police officer's outfit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
2. Who is Maximilian?
3. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
4. What item was confiscated by the border guards?
5. Why did Hugh want to go into music as a career?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)