|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) His father.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A man passing by.
2. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A festival.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A graduation.
3. What day is it when the novel opens?
(a) Day of the Dead.
(b) Mexican Independence Day.
4. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The driver.
(b) The painter.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The maid.
5. Where does the consul go after speaking with Quincey?
(b) Yvonne's new apartment.
(c) He flees the country.
(d) Into the sewers to hide from the rebels.
6. Where does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) In his office.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a school.
(d) At home, in bed.
7. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
(a) The library.
(b) The cantina she used to hang out at a long time ago.
(c) The consul's property.
(d) The town square.
8. How does Yvonne feel when she returns to her home?
(a) Sad about her dead baby.
(b) Confused about her new job.
(c) Furious at her terrible new boss.
9. When did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) During childhood.
(c) Exactly one year ago today.
(d) Just the other day.
10. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
(a) A castle in Spain.
(b) A ranch in Hawaii.
(c) A farm in Canada.
(d) A big city in America.
11. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
(a) Take a job much beneath him.
(b) Marry a very famous actress.
(c) Refuse to get paid for his concerts.
(d) Take a vow of silence for 6 months.
12. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In a cantina.
13. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
(a) Because another patron outbids her during the auction.
(b) Because the consul has taken all of her money.
(c) Because the price is too high.
(d) Because the animal bites her.
14. What does Hugh drink in the brewery?
(a) A beer.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) Nothing -- he is afraid of becoming like his brother.
(d) A whiskey.
15. Who is Hugh?
(a) The consul's son.
(b) The consul's father.
(c) The consul's doctor.
(d) The consul's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
2. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
3. At what time of day did Yvonne first leave the consul?
4. Why must Yvonne and the consul pass up an invitation from the doctor?
5. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)