|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugh first see Yvonne?
(a) In the garden.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In her bedroom.
(d) In a cantina.
2. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The butcher.
(b) The painter.
(c) The maid.
(d) The driver.
3. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(a) The mayor's.
(b) Yvonne's mother's.
4. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(b) The sun.
5. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) Modern art.
(b) Elizabethan plays.
(d) Romantic poetry.
6. What was Hugh hoping his music career would bring him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Fame and fortune.
(c) The approval of his parents.
(d) Lots of women.
7. Why does the consul fall face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) Because someone trips him.
(b) Because someone shoots him.
(c) Because he is so drunk.
(d) Because he has a bad leg.
8. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A festival.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A midnight church service.
9. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The Spanish border.
(b) The Nicaraguan border.
(c) The Canadian border.
(d) The American border.
10. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
(b) That it means cold mountain water.
(c) That it means where the sun never sets.
(d) That it means painted mountain.
11. How old is Hugh?
12. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not yell once inside the palace.
(b) That he not steal books from the library.
(c) That he not vomit in the garden.
(d) That he not pass out in the alley.
13. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) His father.
(b) A ghost.
(c) The doctor.
(d) A man passing by.
14. Where does Yvonne want to go after visiting the consul?
(a) A farm in Canada.
(b) A castle in Spain.
(c) A ranch in Hawaii.
(d) A big city in America.
15. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
2. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
3. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
4. How does Quincey respond to the consul?
5. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)