|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) Where she will be sleeping.
(b) How long she will stay.
(c) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
(d) When the judge will grant their divorce.
2. Who is Maximilian?
(a) Yvonne's secret lover.
(b) The man who robs Hugh and Yvonne.
(c) A conqueror.
(d) Hugh and Yvonne's secret son.
3. Whose house do Yvonne and the consul pass on their way home upon her return?
(b) The mayor's.
(d) Yvonne's mother's.
4. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) One year to the day.
(b) Just a week.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several years.
5. What request does Quincey make of the consul?
(a) That he not vomit in the garden.
(b) That he not pass out in the alley.
(c) That he not steal books from the library.
(d) That he not yell once inside the palace.
6. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a raging alcoholic.
(b) That he is a very wealthy man.
(c) That he is the wisest man in town.
(d) That he should get married soon.
7. What does Yvonne do once she arrives back at the consul's house?
(a) Throws herself off the balcony.
(b) Takes a bath.
(c) Starts breaking dishes.
(d) Leaves immediately.
8. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(a) The sun.
9. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
(a) Walking down the street.
(b) In the doctor's office.
(c) In a casino.
(d) In a church.
10. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
(a) In the countryside.
(b) In the hot jungle.
(c) In the cold mountains.
(d) Along the beach.
11. What does the man offer the consul after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
(a) To call an ambulance.
(b) A drink.
(c) A ride.
(d) A cane.
12. Where did Laruelle first meet the consul?
(c) The United States.
13. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The maid.
(b) The driver.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The painter.
14. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) The government was overthrown.
(b) He broke his ankle.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He passed out.
15. Where does Yvonne first find the consul upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) In a school.
(b) In a bar.
(c) At home, in bed.
(d) In his office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
2. How many drinks does it take for the consul to get steady on his feet after not drinking?
3. How does the consul's adulthood compare to what he dreamed about as a boy?
4. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
5. What animal does Hugh rent for him and Yvonne during their walk?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)