|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Monsieur Laruelle and the local doctor talking when the novel beings?
(a) In the doctor's office.
(b) Walking down the street.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a casino.
2. Back at their home, what does the consul ask Yvonne about her stay in Quauhnahuac?
(a) Where she will be sleeping.
(b) When the judge will grant their divorce.
(c) How long she will stay.
(d) How much someone bribed her to talk to him.
3. What does the consul insist fortifies him as much as food?
(b) The sun.
4. What year is it in the novel when the story starts?
5. For what company does Hugh work?
(a) The London Globe.
(b) The Madrid Daily.
(c) The Boston Globe.
(d) El Mundo.
6. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
(a) A Mexican cowboy outfit.
(b) A police officer's outfit.
(c) His pajamas.
(d) A silk suit she gave him many years ago.
7. What is the first theory Yvonne thinks about regarding the meaning of the word "Quauhnahuac"?
(a) That it means painted mountain.
(b) That it means cold mountain water.
(c) That it means where the sun never sets.
(d) That it is an ancient word for "fertility."
8. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
(a) The painter.
(b) The driver.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The maid.
9. Who invites Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul into his house after they all leave together?
(a) A mysterious old woman.
(d) The doctor.
10. What day is it when the novel opens?
(a) Day of the Dead.
(d) Mexican Independence Day.
11. What does Hugh do in his earlier years in an attempt to elevate his celebrity?
(a) Marry a very famous actress.
(b) Take a vow of silence for 6 months.
(c) Take a job much beneath him.
(d) Refuse to get paid for his concerts.
12. Where does Hugh come to visit Yvonne?
(a) The consul's property.
(b) The cantina she used to hang out at a long time ago.
(c) The town square.
(d) The library.
13. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
(a) Trying to sell fresh bread.
(c) Playing dominoes.
(d) Weaving a beautiful tapestry.
14. Where do Yvonne and Hugh end their ride together?
(a) At the top of the volcano.
(b) At the edge of a cliff.
(c) At some ancient ruins.
(d) At the movie theater.
15. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is selling the animal that Yvonne wants at the brewery?
2. Who shaves the consul while Hugh is over?
3. Who is the author of "Under the Volcano"?
4. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
5. Who is Maximilian?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)