Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Hugh returned from when he first meets Yvonne?
(a) The American border.
(b) The Nicaraguan border.
(c) The Spanish border.
(d) The Canadian border.
2. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
(a) A midnight church service.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A festival.
3. How old is Hugh?
4. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(b) He captains his own ship.
(c) He works on the crew of a ship.
(d) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
5. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
6. Who approaches Quincey and the consul while they are talking?
(a) A deranged man.
(c) The doctor.
(d) A wild and rabid dog.
7. What word could best be used to describe how the consul moves about town while Yvonne is out with Hugh?
8. What is Hugh wearing the first time he sees Yvonne upon her return?
(a) A silk suit she gave him many years ago.
(b) A Mexican cowboy outfit.
(c) A police officer's outfit.
(d) His pajamas.
9. What is the subject of the book that the bartender returns to Laruelle in Chapter 1?
(a) Modern art.
(c) Elizabethan plays.
(d) Romantic poetry.
10. What does Hugh learn about the sailors on his ship?
(a) That they are all murderous liars.
(b) That they live a rather virtuous life -- surprisingly.
(c) That they are waiting to mutiny.
(d) That they are just in it for the money.
11. What voices are the consul attempting to run from?
(a) The voices in his head.
(b) The voices of his children.
(c) The voices of Yvonne and Hugh, which seem extra loud to him for some reason.
(d) The voices of people yelling at him from windows.
12. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
(a) The government was overthrown.
(b) He passed out.
(c) He broke his ankle.
(d) He was arrested.
13. Where do Yvonne and Hugh first go for a walk?
(a) In the hot jungle.
(b) In the cold mountains.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) Along the beach.
14. What animal do Hugh and Yvonne keep passing during their excursion together?
(a) A rattlesnake.
(b) A dead dove.
(c) A very slow turtle.
(d) The same goat.
15. What does the mailman bring to Laruelle's house while Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul are visiting?
(a) A notice that the consul has been fired.
(b) News that the government has been overthrown.
(c) A letter letting Yvonne know that her mother has died.
(d) A letter Yvonne wrote over a year ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the consul constantly hear in his head?
2. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
3. Who is one of the few remaining members of the consul's household staff that Yvonne talks to?
4. What does Hugh think about himself growing up?
5. Who is the man who helps the consul up right after he falls face-first into the dirt after Yvonne has returned to their home?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)