|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What branch of military service did the consul once serve in?
(a) The German navy.
(b) The British army.
(c) The British navy.
(d) The German army.
2. What is the consul attempting -- albeit badly -- to impress Yvonne with?
(a) His self control.
(b) His money.
(c) His elegance.
(d) His power.
3. How does Yvonne feel about the item that the mailman brings to Laruelle's house while she is over?
(d) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
4. When Yvonne, Hugh, and the consul leave the consul's house together, where do they intend to go?
(a) The festival.
(b) The zoo.
(c) The courthouse.
5. What job does Hugh get after his attempts to become a famous musician fail?
(a) He sets off as a pirate on his father's ship.
(b) He works on the crew of a ship.
(c) He commissions a ship to look for treasure.
(d) He captains his own ship.
6. How long is Hugh gone on the ship?
(a) Just a week.
(b) Several years.
(c) Several months.
(d) One year to the day.
7. Where did Yvonne and the consul have their last date before Yvonne left him?
(a) A cantina.
(b) The symphony.
(c) A library.
(d) A hotel.
8. Why does Yvonne end up not buying the animal she wants at the brewery?
(a) Because the price is too high.
(b) Because the animal bites her.
(c) Because another patron outbids her during the auction.
(d) Because the consul has taken all of her money.
9. Who does Quincey ask the consul about?
(c) All of these answers are correct.
10. What does the consul continue to point out to Yvonne during their walk home the day she returns?
(a) Sites of great battles that he won.
(b) Familiar landmarks.
(c) Places his friends used to live before they all died.
(d) The many buildings that he owns.
11. What event is happening when the novel beings?
(a) A festival.
(b) A graduation.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
12. Why must Yvonne and the consul pass up an invitation from the doctor?
(a) Because they burn the food they are supposed to bring.
(b) Because of his failing health.
(c) Because they are too poor to travel there.
(d) Because Yvonne is too distraught over her missing child.
13. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
14. What interrupts Yvonne and the consul's first conversation upon her return to Quauhnahuac?
(a) An annoying housemaid.
(b) Other people yelling.
(c) Musicians outside the bedroom window.
(d) The sound of sirens going by.
15. Where has Hugh been living while on assignment?
(a) An American cattle ranch.
(b) A hospital.
(c) An England castle.
(d) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it when the novel opens?
2. Where does the consul stop to compose himself on his way home to meet Yvonne?
3. What relative of the consul's still technically lives in town?
4. What kind of animal does Yvonne try to buy at the brewery?
5. To which alcohol does the consul briefly consider switching to after he has fallen down?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)