|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yvonne initially seem to bring to the consul's life?
2. When was "Under the Volcano" written?
3. Why does the consul briefly consider switching alcohols after he has fallen down?
(a) To save money.
(b) Because his favorite movie star drinks it in the movies.
(c) Because he wants to try Yvonne's favorite drink.
(d) Because of its rumored vitamin properties.
4. What does the doctor advise Laruelle to do when they depart in Chapter 1?
(a) Take two aspirin and call him in the morning.
(b) Move to a warmer climate.
(c) Go to the hospital right away.
(d) Go out for the evening.
5. What do Monsieur Laruelle and the doctor discuss about Geoffrey in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is a very wealthy man.
(b) That he should get married soon.
(c) That he is the wisest man in town.
(d) That he is a raging alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the consul before he could track down his wife on the night she left him?
2. What day is it when the novel opens?
3. What event is supposed to happen the first night Yvonne returns to Quauhnahuac?
4. What are the women doing that the consul draws Yvonne's attention to when she first sees him again?
5. Where does the reader learn, in Chapter 1, that Laruelle is planning to go on a journey?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)