|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the LeBaron bothers go on a killing spree?
2. Why did Young choose to settle near the Great Salt Lake?
3. What was the speculation about why Smith's successor died?
4. After Brenda's death, what does her sister regret?
5. Who encouraged Dianna to leave her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Laffertys decided to abandon the rest of their revelation?
2. How did the Lafferty brothers get the idea to murder Brenda?
3. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
4. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
5. Did Woodruff fall in line with his predecessors' beliefs for the LDS, or did he contradict them? How?
6. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
7. What was Dan's conviction in carrying out the murders?
8. How did Taylor's leadership of the LDS contradict his predecessors?
9. What aided in the apprehension of Dan and Ron Lafferty?
10. How were the LeBaron children and Lafferty children similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer gives Mormon women a strong voice in his book. Providing the reader with angles ranging from Flora Jessop, who fled her polygamist home, to Emmylou, who dreams of being a plural wife. Discuss the point of view of Mormon women offered in the book and what dimensions of the church and humanity they display.
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer's account of Dan shows him swinging from reluctantly participating in the murders to becoming the main perpetrator. Dan also would shift from being his brother's biggest victim to his strongest opponent. Discuss the duality of Dan Lafferty. What were his motives for his actions? Where were Dan's loyalties?
Essay Topic 3
As a group, the youth of the LDS has had both a positive and a negative role in Mormonism. Discuss this dual role for the LDS youth. Why is the youth group popular with some, yet criticized by others?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)