|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Woodruff's stance on polygamy?
2. The men at the School of the Prophets believed they were destined to do what?
3. Who did the Francher group think was attacking them?
4. What changed in Dan during his road trip with Ron?
5. Unhappy with Warren's leadership, what did many predict would happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ron Lafferty hostile to the judge at his trial?
2. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
3. Why was Ron Lafferty's first conviction thrown out?
4. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
5. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
6. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
7. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
8. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
9. What caused the split in the LDS?
10. How did the Lafferty brothers get the idea to murder Brenda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer gives Mormon women a strong voice in his book. Providing the reader with angles ranging from Flora Jessop, who fled her polygamist home, to Emmylou, who dreams of being a plural wife. Discuss the point of view of Mormon women offered in the book and what dimensions of the church and humanity they display.
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer's account of Dan shows him swinging from reluctantly participating in the murders to becoming the main perpetrator. Dan also would shift from being his brother's biggest victim to his strongest opponent. Discuss the duality of Dan Lafferty. What were his motives for his actions? Where were Dan's loyalties?
Essay Topic 3
Ron was once considered the most levelheaded of his brothers, but he soon became their worst influence. Yet, the adoration of his brothers endured. Discuss what made Ron take his dark turn and what his inspirations and motives were for his actions.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)