|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rulon Jeffs believe about himself?
2. Why did the LeBaron bothers go on a killing spree?
3. Why did Woodruff change his position on polygamy?
4. Why did the Illinois governor order a cease-fire?
5. Why did Brenda's family blame Allen for her murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Taylor's leadership of the LDS contradict his predecessors?
2. Why were people hesitant about allowing Ron to plead insanity? What potential problems could arise?
3. How responsible was Allen for Brenda's murder?
4. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
5. Why did the events of July 24th unfold as they did?
6. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
7. What caused the split in the LDS?
8. Why was Ron Lafferty hostile to the judge at his trial?
9. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
10. Was Colonel Dame involved in the Mountain Meadow Massacre? How so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The FLDS follows the foundations of the Mormon faith while the LDS has evolved to fit the times. The development of the original church and the eventual split between two factions within the church are prominent veins in the narrative. Discuss how these two prominent divisions of the church represent different desires and natures of humans in their relationship with religion and their surroundings. Why do these two exist? What effect has this separation had on the people discussed in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
Essay Topic 2
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)