|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was historic about Woodruff's leadership?
2. After Brenda's death, what does her sister regret?
3. How long after Lee's prophecy did Young die?
4. Who did the Francher group think was attacking them?
5. Why did Woodruff change his position on polygamy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Colonel Dame involved in the Mountain Meadow Massacre? How so?
2. Why was Ron Lafferty's first conviction thrown out?
3. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
4. Why was Warren Jeffs unpopular? What were people's predictions of the outcome of his leadership?
5. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
6. How responsible was Allen for Brenda's murder?
7. How did the Lafferty brothers get the idea to murder Brenda?
8. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
9. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
10. What aided in the apprehension of Dan and Ron Lafferty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 2
Polygamy is the primary conflict addressed in the book. While it was once a general practice of the church, modern Mormons no longer accept it. However, to some extent, it is still practiced. Discuss how Krakauer uses polygamy as a weight in comparing the different sects of the LDS. Why does Krakauer focus on polygamy so much? Why is it a central topic in the church and in Krakauer's findings?
Essay Topic 3
The Mormon Church, despite many obstacles, has managed to grow and remain in tact. Discuss why the LDS is so appealing. To whom is it so appealing? What are the main reasons for its continued existence and success?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)