|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctors find about Ron while examining him before his second trial?
2. Knapp and Carnes explain that they felt _____ after the murder.
3. How was Ron able to convince Dan to help him in his murder plan?
4. Smith did NOT leave his followers with guidelines on ______________.
5. Why did the Laffertys decide to abandon the rest of their plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Colonel Dame involved in the Mountain Meadow Massacre? How so?
2. How did the Lafferty brothers get the idea to murder Brenda?
3. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
4. How responsible was Allen for Brenda's murder?
5. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
6. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
7. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
8. What aided in the apprehension of Dan and Ron Lafferty?
9. Did Woodruff fall in line with his predecessors' beliefs for the LDS, or did he contradict them? How?
10. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a group, the youth of the LDS has had both a positive and a negative role in Mormonism. Discuss this dual role for the LDS youth. Why is the youth group popular with some, yet criticized by others?
Essay Topic 2
Polygamy is the primary conflict addressed in the book. While it was once a general practice of the church, modern Mormons no longer accept it. However, to some extent, it is still practiced. Discuss how Krakauer uses polygamy as a weight in comparing the different sects of the LDS. Why does Krakauer focus on polygamy so much? Why is it a central topic in the church and in Krakauer's findings?
Essay Topic 3
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)