|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Bateman family on Mount Dellenbaugh?
2. Taylor held his beliefs long after _________.
3. What was Woodruff's stance on polygamy?
4. What was Ron's choice for his execution?
5. After Woodruff's reign, who believed polygamy was valid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
2. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
3. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
4. Why was Dan the more active participant in the murders rather than Ron?
5. Why were people hesitant about allowing Ron to plead insanity? What potential problems could arise?
6. Why did the Laffertys decided to abandon the rest of their revelation?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What aided in the apprehension of Dan and Ron Lafferty?
9. How did Taylor's leadership of the LDS contradict his predecessors?
10. What caused the split in the LDS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer builds much of his book by using interviews and quotes, reflecting a very journalistic approach. Despite his attempted objectivity the sensitive topic of the book makes bias inevitable. Discuss how Krakauer approaches or avoids bias. Is he biased? How does Krakauer's voice aid or hinder his story?
Essay Topic 2
The FLDS follows the foundations of the Mormon faith while the LDS has evolved to fit the times. The development of the original church and the eventual split between two factions within the church are prominent veins in the narrative. Discuss how these two prominent divisions of the church represent different desires and natures of humans in their relationship with religion and their surroundings. Why do these two exist? What effect has this separation had on the people discussed in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses the long history of tensions between Mormons and the states they settled in. Discuss the causes and resolutions for these conflicts. How did the displacement of Mormons through several states affect the current make-up of their organization and attitude?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)