|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dan stay with Ron through Ron's plan?
2. The LeBaron brothers thought themselves to be _______________.
3. How did the Mormon Church become bankrupt around the time of Taylor's death?
4. Why wasn't Dame's burial of the Francher group successful?
5. What dilemma were Mormons faced with after the death of Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the events of July 24th unfold as they did?
2. Why was Warren Jeffs unpopular? What were people's predictions of the outcome of his leadership?
3. According to the prosecution in his trial, why was Ron NOT insane?
4. Why was Ron Lafferty hostile to the judge at his trial?
5. What was the pivotal plight of the Lafferty brothers that caused the murders?
6. What caused the split in the LDS?
7. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
8. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
9. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
10. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
Essay Topic 2
Robert Crossfield, otherwise known as the Prophet Onias, had a significant impact on the LDS and the Lafferty family because of his belief in personal revelations. What flaws in humans and the LDS did Crossfield's actions bring out? What influence did his ideals have on Mormonism?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses the long history of tensions between Mormons and the states they settled in. Discuss the causes and resolutions for these conflicts. How did the displacement of Mormons through several states affect the current make-up of their organization and attitude?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)