|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lee die?
2. What did the first two psychiatrists offer as an explanation for Ron's actions?
3. What did Rulon Jeffs believe about himself?
4. What dilemma were Mormons faced with after the death of Smith?
5. Why did Onias value the Lafferty brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
2. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
3. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
4. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
5. Why were people hesitant about allowing Ron to plead insanity? What potential problems could arise?
6. What was Dan's conviction in carrying out the murders?
7. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
8. Was Colonel Dame involved in the Mountain Meadow Massacre? How so?
9. What caused the split in the LDS?
10. What was the pivotal plight of the Lafferty brothers that caused the murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 2
Robert Crossfield, otherwise known as the Prophet Onias, had a significant impact on the LDS and the Lafferty family because of his belief in personal revelations. What flaws in humans and the LDS did Crossfield's actions bring out? What influence did his ideals have on Mormonism?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer builds much of his book by using interviews and quotes, reflecting a very journalistic approach. Despite his attempted objectivity the sensitive topic of the book makes bias inevitable. Discuss how Krakauer approaches or avoids bias. Is he biased? How does Krakauer's voice aid or hinder his story?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)