|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Woodruff's reign, who believed polygamy was valid?
2. Why was Lee banished from Colorado City?
3. What did the Mormon people need in their struggle that Young offered them?
4. The Mormons decided to select a new leader based on the candidate's ______________.
5. What was Woodruff's stance on polygamy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
2. How responsible was Allen for Brenda's murder?
3. Why did the events of July 24th unfold as they did?
4. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
5. According to the prosecution in his trial, why was Ron NOT insane?
6. What caused the split in the LDS?
7. How were the LeBaron children and Lafferty children similar?
8. Why did the Laffertys decided to abandon the rest of their revelation?
9. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
10. Why were people hesitant about allowing Ron to plead insanity? What potential problems could arise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each new prophet in the Mormon Church brought about changes to the elements of the church. Based on the youth of the church, each change seems radical. Discuss the significance of the rapid changing of prophets and which was the most significant to the face of the church today.
Essay Topic 2
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses the long history of tensions between Mormons and the states they settled in. Discuss the causes and resolutions for these conflicts. How did the displacement of Mormons through several states affect the current make-up of their organization and attitude?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)