|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Woodruff change his position on polygamy?
2. Krakauer observes that the justice system and the Mormon Church had ______ in common.
3. What did the doctors find about Ron while examining him before his second trial?
4. Why did Dianna ask Ron to try to convince his brothers to abandon their new beliefs?
5. Why did the LeBaron bothers go on a killing spree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Surrounding Ron's trial, the biggest dilemma was Ron's insanity plea. The courts were concerned about how Ron's verdict would affect the future of cases like his own. Luckily for the justice system, Ron refused a guilty plea. Discuss the gravity of an insanity plea for Ron's case. Why would it be negative for the justice system? Why was Ron resistant to it?
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer discusses several examples of poor treatment and the kidnapping of young girls within the Mormon communities. Krakauer and his contributors offer some explanation for compliance, resistance, and the general approach of the public and police. Discuss the pattern of abduction addressed in the book. Why are some searched for while others are not? What is the cause of the double standard for abduction?
Essay Topic 3
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)