|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
2. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
3. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
4. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
5. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
2. How is the Lafferty family described?
3. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
4. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
5. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
6. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
7. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
8. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
9. How does Krakauer build his story?
10. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer discusses the long history of tensions between Mormons and the states they settled in. Discuss the causes and resolutions for these conflicts. How did the displacement of Mormons through several states affect the current make-up of their organization and attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses several examples of poor treatment and the kidnapping of young girls within the Mormon communities. Krakauer and his contributors offer some explanation for compliance, resistance, and the general approach of the public and police. Discuss the pattern of abduction addressed in the book. Why are some searched for while others are not? What is the cause of the double standard for abduction?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)