Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
2. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
3. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
10. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 2
Smith was the original founder of the LDS. Many can still relate to him today, thus continuing the popularity of the Mormon Church, according to Krakauer. Discuss Smith's road to creating the Mormon Church. Do you agree with Krakauer as to why Smith is still popular today?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer builds much of his book by using interviews and quotes, reflecting a very journalistic approach. Despite his attempted objectivity the sensitive topic of the book makes bias inevitable. Discuss how Krakauer approaches or avoids bias. Is he biased? How does Krakauer's voice aid or hinder his story?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)