|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
2. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
3. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
10. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
Essay Topic 1
The Mormon Church, despite many obstacles, has managed to grow and remain in tact. Discuss why the LDS is so appealing. To whom is it so appealing? What are the main reasons for its continued existence and success?
Essay Topic 2
Each new prophet in the Mormon Church brought about changes to the elements of the church. Based on the youth of the church, each change seems radical. Discuss the significance of the rapid changing of prophets and which was the most significant to the face of the church today.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Crossfield, otherwise known as the Prophet Onias, had a significant impact on the LDS and the Lafferty family because of his belief in personal revelations. What flaws in humans and the LDS did Crossfield's actions bring out? What influence did his ideals have on Mormonism?
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)