|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
2. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
3. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
10. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 2
The Mormon Church, despite many obstacles, has managed to grow and remain in tact. Discuss why the LDS is so appealing. To whom is it so appealing? What are the main reasons for its continued existence and success?
Essay Topic 3
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)