|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
2. After Smith destroyed Law's printing press, people feared Smith would become a _______ leader.
3. Krakauer says he will try to explain the ______ of the Lafferty brothers' murders.
4. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
5. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer build his story?
2. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
3. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
4. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
5. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
6. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
7. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
8. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
9. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
10. How is the Lafferty family described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
Essay Topic 2
The FLDS follows the foundations of the Mormon faith while the LDS has evolved to fit the times. The development of the original church and the eventual split between two factions within the church are prominent veins in the narrative. Discuss how these two prominent divisions of the church represent different desires and natures of humans in their relationship with religion and their surroundings. Why do these two exist? What effect has this separation had on the people discussed in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
Essay Topic 3
As a group, the youth of the LDS has had both a positive and a negative role in Mormonism. Discuss this dual role for the LDS youth. Why is the youth group popular with some, yet criticized by others?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)