|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
2. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
3. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
4. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
5. At the School of the Prophets, what practice did Crossfield attempt to reinstate in his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
2. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
3. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
4. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
5. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
6. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
7. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
10. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith was the original founder of the LDS. Many can still relate to him today, thus continuing the popularity of the Mormon Church, according to Krakauer. Discuss Smith's road to creating the Mormon Church. Do you agree with Krakauer as to why Smith is still popular today?
Essay Topic 2
Although he is discussing the history if the Mormon Church, Krakauer discusses that the idiosyncrasies of the LDS are reflected in many other religions. What is the effect of Krakauer's comparisons to other religions? What statement is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses the long history of tensions between Mormons and the states they settled in. Discuss the causes and resolutions for these conflicts. How did the displacement of Mormons through several states affect the current make-up of their organization and attitude?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)