Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
2. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
3. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
10. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
Essay Topic 1
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer discusses several examples of poor treatment and the kidnapping of young girls within the Mormon communities. Krakauer and his contributors offer some explanation for compliance, resistance, and the general approach of the public and police. Discuss the pattern of abduction addressed in the book. Why are some searched for while others are not? What is the cause of the double standard for abduction?
Essay Topic 3
The FLDS follows the foundations of the Mormon faith while the LDS has evolved to fit the times. The development of the original church and the eventual split between two factions within the church are prominent veins in the narrative. Discuss how these two prominent divisions of the church represent different desires and natures of humans in their relationship with religion and their surroundings. Why do these two exist? What effect has this separation had on the people discussed in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)