|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
2. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
3. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
4. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
5. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
2. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
3. How does Krakauer build his story?
4. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
5. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
6. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
7. How is the Lafferty family described?
8. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
9. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
10. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith was the original founder of the LDS. Many can still relate to him today, thus continuing the popularity of the Mormon Church, according to Krakauer. Discuss Smith's road to creating the Mormon Church. Do you agree with Krakauer as to why Smith is still popular today?
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer's account of Dan shows him swinging from reluctantly participating in the murders to becoming the main perpetrator. Dan also would shift from being his brother's biggest victim to his strongest opponent. Discuss the duality of Dan Lafferty. What were his motives for his actions? Where were Dan's loyalties?
Essay Topic 3
Although he is discussing the history if the Mormon Church, Krakauer discusses that the idiosyncrasies of the LDS are reflected in many other religions. What is the effect of Krakauer's comparisons to other religions? What statement is he trying to make?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)