|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
2. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
3. Joseph Smith was the son of a ______.
4. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
5. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
2. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
3. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
4. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
5. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
6. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
7. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
8. According to Palmer, why was Elizabeth Smart an easy target?
9. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
10. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith was the original founder of the LDS. Many can still relate to him today, thus continuing the popularity of the Mormon Church, according to Krakauer. Discuss Smith's road to creating the Mormon Church. Do you agree with Krakauer as to why Smith is still popular today?
Essay Topic 2
Krakauer gives Mormon women a strong voice in his book. Providing the reader with angles ranging from Flora Jessop, who fled her polygamist home, to Emmylou, who dreams of being a plural wife. Discuss the point of view of Mormon women offered in the book and what dimensions of the church and humanity they display.
Essay Topic 3
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)