|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
2. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
3. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
4. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
5. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the final interview with DeLoy, was he happy? Why or why not?
2. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
3. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
4. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
5. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
6. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
7. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
8. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
9. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
10. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Crossfield, otherwise known as the Prophet Onias, had a significant impact on the LDS and the Lafferty family because of his belief in personal revelations. What flaws in humans and the LDS did Crossfield's actions bring out? What influence did his ideals have on Mormonism?
Essay Topic 2
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses the Mountain Meadow Massacre to discuss a darker and more indiscernible side of the Mormon Church. Krakauer carefully describes the order of events of the massacre and circumstances, but doesn't offer a clear explanation. Using the facts provided by Krakauer, why do you think this event took place? Why did these men take these actions? Why was the Francher group the target? What did this event mean for the Church?
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)