|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
2. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
3. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
4. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
5. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krakauer build his story?
2. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
3. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
4. How is the Lafferty family described?
5. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
6. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
7. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
8. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
9. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
10. Why was Joseph Smith charged with fraud? How did his treasure business compare with his religious revelation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer discusses several examples of poor treatment and the kidnapping of young girls within the Mormon communities. Krakauer and his contributors offer some explanation for compliance, resistance, and the general approach of the public and police. Discuss the pattern of abduction addressed in the book. Why are some searched for while others are not? What is the cause of the double standard for abduction?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Essay Topic 3
DeLoy Bateman, a former member of the LDS became an atheist after his excommunication. At the end of Krakauer's book, DeLoy discusses his views on the Mormon Church. Discuss and compare DeLoy and Krakauer's views on religion and how it DeLoy adopted and changed his position with God through his life. What does Bateman display about men and the Mormon faith and men and other religions?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)