|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
2. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
3. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
4. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
5. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
2. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
3. According to Palmer, why was Elizabeth Smart an easy target?
4. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
5. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
6. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
9. How does Krakauer build his story?
10. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
Essay Topic 2
Surrounding Ron's trial, the biggest dilemma was Ron's insanity plea. The courts were concerned about how Ron's verdict would affect the future of cases like his own. Luckily for the justice system, Ron refused a guilty plea. Discuss the gravity of an insanity plea for Ron's case. Why would it be negative for the justice system? Why was Ron resistant to it?
Essay Topic 3
The Mormon Church, despite many obstacles, has managed to grow and remain in tact. Discuss why the LDS is so appealing. To whom is it so appealing? What are the main reasons for its continued existence and success?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)