|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
2. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
3. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
4. After Smith destroyed Law's printing press, people feared Smith would become a _______ leader.
5. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
2. How does Krakauer build his story?
3. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
4. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
5. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
9. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
10. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Surrounding Ron's trial, the biggest dilemma was Ron's insanity plea. The courts were concerned about how Ron's verdict would affect the future of cases like his own. Luckily for the justice system, Ron refused a guilty plea. Discuss the gravity of an insanity plea for Ron's case. Why would it be negative for the justice system? Why was Ron resistant to it?
Essay Topic 2
Personal revelations were what founded the Mormon faith, but they also ran the risk of destroying it. Discuss why personal revelations hold so much power and why they are so relevant to the religion.
Essay Topic 3
Krakauer discusses several examples of poor treatment and the kidnapping of young girls within the Mormon communities. Krakauer and his contributors offer some explanation for compliance, resistance, and the general approach of the public and police. Discuss the pattern of abduction addressed in the book. Why are some searched for while others are not? What is the cause of the double standard for abduction?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)