|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
2. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
3. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
4. Joseph Smith was the son of a ______.
5. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
2. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
3. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
4. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
5. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
6. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
7. How does Krakauer build his story?
8. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
9. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
10. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The FLDS follows the foundations of the Mormon faith while the LDS has evolved to fit the times. The development of the original church and the eventual split between two factions within the church are prominent veins in the narrative. Discuss how these two prominent divisions of the church represent different desires and natures of humans in their relationship with religion and their surroundings. Why do these two exist? What effect has this separation had on the people discussed in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
Essay Topic 2
As a group, the youth of the LDS has had both a positive and a negative role in Mormonism. Discuss this dual role for the LDS youth. Why is the youth group popular with some, yet criticized by others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of the title "Under the Banner of Heaven."
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)