|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Young choose to settle near the Great Salt Lake?
(a) It wasn't part of the United States.
(b) Many Mormons were already there.
(c) It was their promise land.
(d) It was good farm land.
2. After attempting to knock Brenda unconscious, what does Ron want to do?
(a) Rob her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Call the police.
3. What did vigilantes do after Smith and Hyrum's killers were found innocent?
(a) Apologized to the Mormons.
(b) Threw a party.
(c) Defaced their graves.
(d) Burned Mormon homes.
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 20, Krakauer revisits the story of _________.
(a) Young's rise to power.
(b) The Lafferty murders.
(c) The angel Moroni.
(d) The Mountain Meadow Massacre.
5. At first, it was anticipated that _____________was to be Smith's successor.
(a) A young woman.
(b) His younger brother.
(c) Smith's son.
(d) Brigham Young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would have been the benefit of Ron using an insanity plea?
2. Why did the judge throw out Ron's first conviction?
3. After changing his beliefs, Woodruff told his followers polygamy was a ______ principle.
4. Taylor held his beliefs long after _________.
5. How was Ron able to convince Dan to help him in his murder plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
2. Why were people hesitant about allowing Ron to plead insanity? What potential problems could arise?
3. Why did the Saints join the Confederacy?
4. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
5. Why did the events of July 24th unfold as they did?
6. What caused the split in the LDS?
7. What was Lee's prophecy? Would any good have come from it being fulfilled?
8. What aided in the apprehension of Dan and Ron Lafferty?
9. Why was Ron Lafferty's first conviction thrown out?
10. How did Brenda realize the truth of the family she married into?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)