|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
(a) To make himself a martyr.
(b) He knew it was the right thing.
(c) God told him to do it.
(d) To solidify peace with Missouri.
2. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
(d) His speeches.
3. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(a) 25 years.
(c) The death sentence.
(d) Life in prison.
4. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to leave him.
(b) She threatened to start a new religion.
(c) She threatened to take another husband.
(d) She threatened to sue him.
5. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(b) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(c) The state was trying to increase its population.
(d) The state was under Mormon leadership.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
2. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
3. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
4. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
5. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
2. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
3. How is the Lafferty family described?
4. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
5. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
6. According to Palmer, why was Elizabeth Smart an easy target?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
9. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
10. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)