|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) God's law.
(b) Smith's law.
(c) Basic human rights.
(d) Natural law.
2. How did Tom Green become the target for David Leavitt's lawsuit?
(a) Green was trying to take over the government.
(b) Green spoke about his polygamist lifestyle on national news.
(c) Leavitt was suing all polygamists.
(d) Green attempted to create a new sect of the LDS.
3. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They fled.
(b) They prayed.
(c) They tried to surrender.
(d) They fought back.
4. Why was Smith sued by his clients for fraud?
(a) He promised them eternal life.
(b) The treasure was fools gold.
(c) He never found any treasure.
(d) He lied about his identity.
5. How did non-Mormons feel about the beliefs printed in the Book of Mormon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
2. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
3. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Ron's sentence?
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
5. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
2. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
3. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
4. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
5. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
6. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
7. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
10. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)