|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It serves as a backdrop.
(b) It gives credit to the contributors.
(c) It adds extra bulk to the book.
(d) It enhances his credibility.
3. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) Money and celebrity for the church.
(b) The return of polygamy.
(c) A new take on government.
(d) A new promise land.
4. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He lost the translation.
(b) He claims the proof is invisible.
(c) He had to return the gold plates.
(d) He lost the gold plates.
5. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Missourians disliked that the Mormons came into their state with an attitude of _______.
2. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
3. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
4. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
5. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ron Lafferty's first conviction thrown out?
2. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
3. Why was Ron Lafferty hostile to the judge at his trial?
4. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
5. Even after being tried and convicted, did Dan still comply with Ron? Explain their relationship in jail.
6. Why was Warren Jeffs unpopular? What were people's predictions of the outcome of his leadership?
7. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
8. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
9. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
10. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)