|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) The history of the School of the Prophets.
(b) The history of his family.
(c) A timeline of the day.
(d) The motives of his brothers.
2. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(b) The state was under Mormon leadership.
(c) The state was trying to increase its population.
(d) They convinced the governor it was holy.
3. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
(a) He was her brother.
(b) He was her cousin.
(c) He was her father.
(d) He was her husband.
4. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
(a) It was too bright out.
(b) It was written in old English.
(c) It was written in Egyptian.
(d) It was worn.
5. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He claims the proof is invisible.
(b) He lost the translation.
(c) He lost the gold plates.
(d) He had to return the gold plates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
2. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
3. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
4. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
5. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
2. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
3. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
6. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
9. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
10. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)