|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
(b) Smart's family was wealthier.
(c) Smart's abductors were famous.
(d) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
2. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) God's law.
(b) Natural law.
(c) Smith's law.
(d) Basic human rights.
3. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(a) The location of the Promised Land.
(b) The gender of God.
(c) Their rights as American citizens.
4. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to take another husband.
(b) She threatened to start a new religion.
(c) She threatened to sue him.
(d) She threatened to leave him.
5. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
2. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
3. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
4. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
2. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
3. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
4. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
5. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
6. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
7. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
8. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
9. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
10. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)