|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
(a) It could only happen on every anniversary.
(b) It could only happen once a week.
(c) It could only happen if a woman was ovulating.
(d) It could only happen when one was selected from the lottery.
2. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They tried to surrender.
(b) They fled.
(c) They fought back.
(d) They prayed.
3. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(b) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(c) They had no Hebrew descent.
(d) They never settled in North America.
4. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
5. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His worldliness.
(b) His creativity.
(c) His charisma.
(d) His wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
2. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
3. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
4. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
5. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the final interview with DeLoy, was he happy? Why or why not?
2. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
3. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
4. How is the Lafferty family described?
5. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
6. Was there any effort made by Mormons to cover up any Mormon involvement in the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
7. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
8. According to Krakauer, do modern Mormons believe the old ways will come back? What do they believe and why?
9. Why was Dan the more active participant in the murders rather than Ron?
10. What was Lee's prophecy? Would any good have come from it being fulfilled?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)