|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
(a) To get his family.
(b) He believed he was abandoning his people.
(c) To confess his faults.
(d) He missed his home.
2. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart's family was wealthier.
(b) Smart's abductors were famous.
(c) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
(d) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
3. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he married Emma Harris.
(b) If he prayed ten times a day.
(c) If he went to the mountain.
(d) If he paid Moroni.
4. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
5. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Chicago Sun Times.
(b) Salt Lake Tribune.
(c) Laffertys' diaries.
(d) New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
2. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
3. Why did Smith write Section 132?
4. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
5. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
2. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
3. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
4. How is the Lafferty family described?
5. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
6. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
9. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
10. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)