|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
(d) Their mother's.
2. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
(a) Its modern approach to religion.
(b) They were forced to convert.
(c) The promises of wealth and fame.
(d) The corruption of other religions.
3. At the School of the Prophets, what practice did Crossfield attempt to reinstate in his students?
4. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
(b) There was no court system.
(c) Smith controlled the courts.
(d) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
5. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
(a) When he lost his arm in a car crash.
(b) When his son married a non-Mormon.
(c) When he began to follow fundamentalist ideas.
(d) When his father died.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did non-Mormons feel about the beliefs printed in the Book of Mormon?
2. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
3. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
4. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
5. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
2. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
3. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
4. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
5. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
6. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
7. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
8. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
9. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
10. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)