|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) A timeline of the day.
(b) The history of his family.
(c) The history of the School of the Prophets.
(d) The motives of his brothers.
2. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) He couldn't understand them.
(b) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
(c) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(d) There was a time limit on them.
3. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) Salt Lake.
(c) The Dream Mine.
(d) The main church.
4. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
(a) It could only happen on every anniversary.
(b) It could only happen once a week.
(c) It could only happen when one was selected from the lottery.
(d) It could only happen if a woman was ovulating.
5. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
(a) To confess his faults.
(b) To get his family.
(c) He missed his home.
(d) He believed he was abandoning his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
2. Why did Smith write Section 132?
3. Krakauer says he will try to explain the ______ of the Lafferty brothers' murders.
4. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
5. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
2. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
3. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
4. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
5. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
6. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
7. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
8. Why was Joseph Smith charged with fraud? How did his treasure business compare with his religious revelation?
9. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
10. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)