|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was afraid of her father.
(b) She was in love with another man.
(c) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
(d) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
2. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They prayed.
(b) They tried to surrender.
(c) They fled.
(d) They fought back.
3. How did Dan remember his childhood?
(a) He has no memory of it.
(b) As a happy one.
(c) As a traumatic one.
(d) As an unconventional one.
4. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) He threatened her.
(b) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(c) She needed money.
(d) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
5. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) The religion is so young.
(b) They're not good liars.
(c) They see his human qualities.
(d) He was very flawed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
2. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
3. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
4. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
5. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
2. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
3. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
4. How is the Lafferty family described?
5. According to Palmer, why was Elizabeth Smart an easy target?
6. Does Krakauer believe taking funds from the government is hypocritical of fundamentalist Mormons? What is their justification?
7. Why was Joseph Smith charged with fraud? How did his treasure business compare with his religious revelation?
8. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
9. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
10. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)