|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After DeLoy was excommunicated, why did the Mormon Church try to sue him?
(a) He was criticizing the church to the media.
(b) He'd stolen money from them.
(c) He'd broken Mormon laws.
(d) His house was owned by the church.
2. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
(a) She was taught to be obedient and passive.
(b) She was very beautiful and kind.
(c) Her parents didn't pay any attention to her.
(d) She was angry with her parents.
3. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
4. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
5. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) A new promise land.
(b) The return of polygamy.
(c) Money and celebrity for the church.
(d) A new take on government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
2. How did Tom Green become the target for David Leavitt's lawsuit?
3. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
4. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
5. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
2. Why was Joseph Smith charged with fraud? How did his treasure business compare with his religious revelation?
3. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
4. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
5. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
6. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
7. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
8. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
9. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
10. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)