|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) There was no court system.
(b) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
(c) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
(d) Smith controlled the courts.
2. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(c) The governor received a revelation from God.
(d) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
3. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
4. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(a) Father and son.
5. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It enhances his credibility.
(b) It serves as a backdrop.
(c) It gives credit to the contributors.
(d) It adds extra bulk to the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
2. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
3. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
4. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
5. What idea of Mormon families was the biggest problem to Debbie Palmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
2. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
3. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
4. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
5. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
6. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
7. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
8. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
9. What was the relevance of the Dream Mine to the School of the Prophets?
10. Why was Joseph Smith charged with fraud? How did his treasure business compare with his religious revelation?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)