|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) She'd cheated on her husband.
(b) Blackmore was abusing her.
(c) She'd killed her husband.
(d) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
2. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
3. How did non-Mormons feel about the beliefs printed in the Book of Mormon?
4. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He lost the gold plates.
(b) He had to return the gold plates.
(c) He lost the translation.
(d) He claims the proof is invisible.
5. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
(b) Smart's abductors were famous.
(c) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
(d) Smart's family was wealthier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
2. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
3. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
4. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
5. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
2. What were the potential problems with the LDS recognizing personal revelations? Was it possible to correct these problems?
3. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
4. According to Krakauer, why is Joseph Smith still appealing to people today?
5. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
6. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
7. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
8. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
9. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
10. How is the Lafferty family described?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)