|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(b) Father and son.
2. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
(a) They praised them.
(b) They ignored them.
(c) They rejected them.
(d) They tried to correct them.
3. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It serves as a backdrop.
(b) It gives credit to the contributors.
(c) It enhances his credibility.
(d) It adds extra bulk to the book.
4. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) New York Times.
(b) Salt Lake Tribune.
(c) Laffertys' diaries.
(d) Chicago Sun Times.
5. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
2. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
3. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
4. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
5. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
2. What was the relevance of the Dream Mine to the School of the Prophets?
3. Why were the relations between Missourians and Mormons strained?
4. How does Krakauer build his story?
5. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
6. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
9. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
10. Why was DeLoy no longer with the Mormon Church?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)