|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His charisma.
(b) His creativity.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His worldliness.
2. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
(a) They believed the original Garden of Eden was there.
(b) It was sparsely populated.
(c) It wasn't part of the United States at the time.
(d) It was Smith's birthplace.
3. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Ruby's parents told the police not to.
(b) Ruby was born into a polygamist family.
(c) Ruby ran away.
(d) Ruby was poor.
4. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) Smith's law.
(b) Natural law.
(c) God's law.
(d) Basic human rights.
5. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Elizabeth asked him to save her from her family.
(b) He was a man and could do anything he wanted.
(c) He was temporarily insane and didn't realize what he was doing.
(d) Their marriage was ordained by God.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
2. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
4. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
5. Joseph Smith was the son of a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lorna Craig, how was the response to Elizabeth Smart's disappearance different from Ruby Jessop's? Why does she believe there was a different response and effort?
2. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
3. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
4. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
5. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
6. What caused the end of Smith and Law's friendship?
7. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
8. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
9. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
10. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)