|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he married Emma Harris.
(b) If he went to the mountain.
(c) If he prayed ten times a day.
(d) If he paid Moroni.
2. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
(b) She was in love with another man.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
3. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) Salt Lake.
(c) The Dream Mine.
(d) The main church.
4. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
(a) He's depicted as a real person with flaws.
(b) He left video tapes for his future followers.
(c) He made strides in eliminating racism.
(d) He predicted the future.
5. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At chiropractic school.
(b) At his gym.
(c) At church.
(d) At summer camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
2. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
3. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
4. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
5. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Dan's conviction in carrying out the murders?
2. Why did the Laffertys decided to abandon the rest of their revelation?
3. What does Krakauer see as "strange" about the road to Smith's revelation?
4. In the final interview with DeLoy, was he happy? Why or why not?
5. According to Palmer, why was Elizabeth Smart an easy target?
6. According to the Prologue, did the Lafferty brothers feel justified in their actions? How and why?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. What was the relevance of the Dream Mine to the School of the Prophets?
9. Why is Salt Lake City the center for Mormons today?
10. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)