|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
(a) It was too bright out.
(b) It was written in Egyptian.
(c) It was written in old English.
(d) It was worn.
2. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
(a) Why these murders happened.
(b) What the meaning of life is.
(c) Whom the Lafferty family represents.
(d) What defines right and wrong.
3. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) Salt Lake.
(c) The Dream Mine.
(d) The main church.
4. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
(a) The girls are very attached to their families.
(b) There is strict security in the communities.
(c) The police are also polygamists.
(d) The girls are raised to comply.
5. Joseph Smith was the son of a ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
2. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
3. What did Smith change in his rules for the Mormon Church because of Crossfield?
4. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
5. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Smith and Hyrum's killers not brought to justice?
2. Were the Native Americans to blame for the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
3. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
4. According to Krakauer, how different are modern and fundamentalist Mormons?
5. Why did the Laffertys decided to abandon the rest of their revelation?
6. Why was Dan the more active participant in the murders rather than Ron?
7. Did Woodruff fall in line with his predecessors' beliefs for the LDS, or did he contradict them? How?
8. Was Smith obedient with the angel Moroni? What was the outcome?
9. What caused Dan Lafferty's trouble with the law? Was this compensated for in any way through religion?
10. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)