|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) Basic human rights.
(b) Smith's law.
(c) Natural law.
(d) God's law.
2. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
(a) The angels discussed are different.
(b) The Bible is accepted as fact.
(c) The books cite different eras.
(d) Mormonism is much younger.
3. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he prayed ten times a day.
(b) If he went to the mountain.
(c) If he married Emma Harris.
(d) If he paid Moroni.
4. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
(a) He made strides in eliminating racism.
(b) He's depicted as a real person with flaws.
(c) He left video tapes for his future followers.
(d) He predicted the future.
5. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(b) The main church.
(c) Salt Lake.
(d) The Dream Mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
2. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
3. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
4. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
5. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was it possible for Debbie Palmer to be her own step-grandmother?
2. Why did Joseph Smith return to Illinois?
3. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
4. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
5. How does Krakauer build his story?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
8. What is Section 132? Why was it important to Smith?
9. Why did Leavitt bring Green to trial?
10. Why did Rockwell shoot the Missouri Governor? What was the outcome?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)