Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were helping with its destruction.
(b) They were being charitable in return.
(c) They were doing God's will.
(d) They were fueling the economy.
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) They're not good liars.
(b) He was very flawed.
(c) They see his human qualities.
(d) The religion is so young.
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To make polygamy only apply to men.
(b) To make the LDS a political party.
(c) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
(d) To give Mormons rights.
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(b) The death sentence.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) 25 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
2. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
3. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
4. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
5. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the LDS most appealing to Americans?
2. According to some, was Dan a true believer in God? Why or why not?
3. Why was Crossfield excommunicated? How much of the LDS rejected him?
4. Was Smith a polygamist? According to whom?
5. Do Brenda's sisters have any regrets in retrospect? What and why?
6. Why did Debbie Palmer and Flora Jessop act as they did?
7. Why was Bringham Young chosen to be the new prophet?
8. What is Krakauer's intention with "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
9. What is the purpose of Krakauer presenting the entire story upfront in the prologue? Is he giving away the whole book?
10. Why was Young very popular among other Mormons?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)