|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Illinois governor's one condition for the cease-fire?
(a) The Mormons had to repair the damage.
(b) The Mormons had to pay them a million dollars.
(c) The Mormons had to apologize.
(d) The Mormons had to leave the United States.
2. What did John Taylor support?
3. Why did the Illinois governor order a cease-fire?
(a) He was tired of fighting.
(b) He had a revelation from God.
(c) They were being defeated.
(d) He feared civil war.
4. Why did Mormons join the Confederacy?
(a) They liked the South.
(b) They were paid to join.
(c) They wanted to keep their slaves.
(d) They were against the United States government.
5. Why did Ron saw off the barrel of a shotgun?
(a) To make it more portable.
(b) God told him to in his revelation.
(c) To pass the time.
(d) To destroy evidence.
6. Why did Young choose to settle near the Great Salt Lake?
(a) It was their promise land.
(b) It wasn't part of the United States.
(c) It was good farm land.
(d) Many Mormons were already there.
7. What were the Mormons' hopes for the outcome of the Civil War?
(a) Both sides would destroy each other.
(b) Europe would intervene.
(c) The Confederacy would win.
(d) They would be rewarded by God.
8. Lee prophesied that Young would die within _______ if he was innocent.
(a) Two days.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
9. Why did Ron make the School of the Prophets his entire life?
(a) He needed guidance.
(b) He'd lost his family.
(c) He wanted to find God.
(d) His brothers convinced him.
10. Smith did NOT leave his followers with guidelines on ______________.
(a) How to bury a Mormon.
(b) Where to settle next.
(c) How to change the prayers.
(d) How to select a new prophet.
11. After Brenda's death, what does her sister regret?
(a) Marrying into the Lafferty family.
(b) Not saying goodbye.
(c) Not warning her.
(d) Encouraging her to go back to Allen.
12. How did Lee die?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) Old age.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He was executed.
13. Why were some nervous about allowing Ron to use an insanity plea?
(a) It could change the way religion was handled in court.
(b) He would be found innocent.
(c) It could make others sympathetic to him.
(d) It would give Ron a superiority complex.
14. Why did Dame decide to do away with the emigrants?
(a) They were good fighters.
(b) He'd been told by God.
(c) They hadn't heard from Young.
(d) He was tired of the stand-off.
15. What was Ron's attitude at his first trial?
(a) He was verbally abusive to the judge.
(b) He was sobbing and apologizing.
(c) He was strong and defensive.
(d) He as quiet and patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wasn't Dame's burial of the Francher group successful?
2. Knapp and Carnes explain that they felt _____ after the murder.
3. Where was the Francher group headed?
4. Krakauer explains that Dan _____ finished the murders.
5. Why did Brenda's family blame Allen for her murder?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)