|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Brenda realize that the Laffertys were religious fanatics?
(a) When Allen refused to take their baby to the doctor.
(b) When they tried to burn down her house.
(c) When Allen built a shrine in their kitchen.
(d) When Allen stopped eating for a month.
2. What were people afraid of after Rulon's death?
(a) The government would kick them out.
(b) The new leader would lead them astray.
(c) The church would go bankrupt.
(d) There would be conflict between sects of the LDS.
3. What was Warren's tool for leadership?
(b) Family history.
4. What did Warren do with Rulon's ferry service?
(a) Kept it open.
(b) Closed it.
(c) Sold it.
(d) Abandoned it.
5. What was the Illinois governor's one condition for the cease-fire?
(a) The Mormons had to pay them a million dollars.
(b) The Mormons had to apologize.
(c) The Mormons had to leave the United States.
(d) The Mormons had to repair the damage.
6. Why did the LeBaron bothers go on a killing spree?
(a) To make money.
(b) To please their father.
(c) They were insane.
(d) To please God.
7. What was the most emotionally difficult aspect of the trial for Brenda's family?
(a) Reading her journals.
(b) Facing Allen.
(c) Fearing an innocent verdict.
(d) Seeing Ron.
8. What changed in Dan during his road trip with Ron?
(a) He believed more of what Ron said.
(b) He became calm and serene.
(c) He became more violent.
(d) He became less sure about their plan.
9. What was Woodruff's stance on polygamy?
(a) He was against it.
(b) He felt it was a personal choice.
(c) He hadn't taken a stance yet.
(d) He supported it.
10. Why did the judge throw out Ron's first conviction?
(a) The judge felt he wasn't mentally competent.
(b) The judge felt the jury was bribed.
(c) The judge wanted to see the evidence again.
(d) The judge thought he was innocent.
11. What happened to the two men from the Francher group that escaped?
(a) They surrendered.
(b) They got lost.
(c) They got help from Indians.
(d) They were caught and killed.
12. Why did Brenda's family blame Allen for her murder?
(a) He prayed for it to happen.
(b) He provoked his brothers.
(c) He gave them money for the murder.
(d) He didn't warn her.
13. At first, it was anticipated that _____________was to be Smith's successor.
(a) Brigham Young.
(b) His younger brother.
(c) A young woman.
(d) Smith's son.
14. The LeBaron brothers thought themselves to be _______________.
(a) Soldiers of the Devil.
(b) Lambs of God.
15. Where were Ron and Dan driving to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
(a) New York.
(c) Chloe Low's house.
(d) The Dream Mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Woodruff's reign, who believed polygamy was valid?
2. What did Noel Gardner and Richard Wootton explain about Ron's actions?
3. Why didn't the Laffertys kill Chloe Low?
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 20, Krakauer revisits the story of _________.
5. The men at the School of the Prophets believed they were destined to do what?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)