|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer observes that the justice system and the Mormon Church had ______ in common.
(a) Basic beliefs.
(d) Blood atonement.
2. Who encouraged Dianna to leave her husband?
(b) Her mother.
3. What would have been the benefit of Ron using an insanity plea?
(a) He would have been more sympathetic.
(b) He wouldn't be given the death sentence.
(c) He would've had more publicity.
(d) He could have acted however he wanted.
4. Garner believed Ron's revelation was a result of __________.
(a) God's will.
(b) A lifetime of neglect and abuse.
(c) Intentionally searching for revelations.
(d) Drugs and alcohol.
5. Why did Mormons join the Confederacy?
(a) They were against the United States government.
(b) They liked the South.
(c) They were paid to join.
(d) They wanted to keep their slaves.
6. What was the most emotionally difficult aspect of the trial for Brenda's family?
(a) Fearing an innocent verdict.
(b) Facing Allen.
(c) Seeing Ron.
(d) Reading her journals.
7. What did Noel Gardner and Richard Wootton explain about Ron's actions?
(a) He was a fanatical believer in God.
(b) He was acting out an interpretation of what he'd been taught as a child.
(c) He believed he was killing his father by killing Brenda.
(d) He wanted attention by whatever means necessary.
8. Why did the Illinois governor order a cease-fire?
(a) He feared civil war.
(b) He had a revelation from God.
(c) He was tired of fighting.
(d) They were being defeated.
9. After attempting to knock Brenda unconscious, what does Ron want to do?
(b) Rob her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Call the police.
10. Why wasn't Dame's burial of the Francher group successful?
(a) An animal dug up the shallow graves.
(b) They told people where they'd buried them.
(c) The government noticed the headstones.
(d) They didn't fill the hole.
11. Why did Young choose to settle near the Great Salt Lake?
(a) It was their promise land.
(b) It was good farm land.
(c) Many Mormons were already there.
(d) It wasn't part of the United States.
12. After Brenda's death, what does her sister regret?
(a) Not saying goodbye.
(b) Encouraging her to go back to Allen.
(c) Marrying into the Lafferty family.
(d) Not warning her.
13. At first, it was anticipated that _____________was to be Smith's successor.
(a) Brigham Young.
(b) Smith's son.
(c) His younger brother.
(d) A young woman.
14. What relevance did Knapp and Carnes have in the murders?
(a) They tried to protect Brenda.
(b) They called the police.
(c) They organized it.
(d) They were present.
15. What was historic about Woodruff's leadership?
(a) It established Salt Lake City.
(b) It angered the government.
(c) It caused the split in the church.
(d) It cause unity in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Francher group headed?
2. What was the Illinois governor's one condition for the cease-fire?
3. Unhappy with Warren's leadership, what did many predict would happen?
4. The men at the School of the Prophets believed they were destined to do what?
5. Why was the Francher group targeted by the Mormons?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)