|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Woodruff change his position on polygamy?
(a) He had a meeting with Jesus and Smith.
(b) He was bribed to agree with other people.
(c) He fell in love with another woman.
(d) His wife wanted more women in the family.
2. Krakauer observes that the justice system and the Mormon Church had ______ in common.
(b) Basic beliefs.
(c) Blood atonement.
3. Why did the attacking Mormons have to send a letter to Young while fighting the Francher group?
(a) There were many women and children.
(b) The group agreed to convert.
(c) The group held out longer than anticipated.
(d) The group offered them a bribe.
4. Why did the Illinois governor order a cease-fire?
(a) He was tired of fighting.
(b) They were being defeated.
(c) He feared civil war.
(d) He had a revelation from God.
5. Why does Dan stay with Ron through Ron's plan?
(a) He received a revelation telling him to stay.
(b) He needed the money.
(c) Ron threatened him.
(d) He didn't have anywhere else to go.
6. When did Brenda realize that the Laffertys were religious fanatics?
(a) When Allen refused to take their baby to the doctor.
(b) When they tried to burn down her house.
(c) When Allen built a shrine in their kitchen.
(d) When Allen stopped eating for a month.
7. In the Mormon Church. Ron was described as ________.
8. Who encouraged Dianna to leave her husband?
(a) Her mother.
9. What changed in Dan during his road trip with Ron?
(a) He became calm and serene.
(b) He believed more of what Ron said.
(c) He became less sure about their plan.
(d) He became more violent.
10. Unhappy with Warren's leadership, what did many predict would happen?
(a) A new leader would take over.
(b) People would break away from the church.
(c) The government would attack them.
(d) More people would join.
11. Why did Dame decide to do away with the emigrants?
(a) They hadn't heard from Young.
(b) He was tired of the stand-off.
(c) He'd been told by God.
(d) They were good fighters.
12. What were the Mormons' hopes for the outcome of the Civil War?
(a) The Confederacy would win.
(b) Europe would intervene.
(c) They would be rewarded by God.
(d) Both sides would destroy each other.
13. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 20, Krakauer revisits the story of _________.
(a) The angel Moroni.
(b) The Lafferty murders.
(c) Young's rise to power.
(d) The Mountain Meadow Massacre.
14. Why did Onias value the Lafferty brothers?
(a) They were related.
(b) He had their unconditional love.
(c) They were the only members of his school.
(d) He felt God sent them to him.
15. What was the Illinois governor's one condition for the cease-fire?
(a) The Mormons had to leave the United States.
(b) The Mormons had to pay them a million dollars.
(c) The Mormons had to apologize.
(d) The Mormons had to repair the damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Noel Gardner and Richard Wootton explain about Ron's actions?
2. The LeBaron brothers thought themselves to be _______________.
3. Who survived the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
4. How did Lavina Stubbs loose all her money?
5. What relevance did Knapp and Carnes have in the murders?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)