|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Mormon Church become bankrupt around the time of Taylor's death?
(a) Legislation passed by the government.
(b) Financing wars.
(c) The leaders' reckless spending.
(d) Taylor's contribution to charity.
2. Lee prophesied that Young would die within _______ if he was innocent.
(a) Two days.
(b) A year.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
3. What did the first two psychiatrists offer as an explanation for Ron's actions?
(a) He'd been paid to do it by Dan.
(b) He truly thought it was God's will.
(c) He knew what he was doing was wrong but didn't care.
(d) He couldn't understand his actions or consequences.
4. What did John Taylor support?
5. The Mormons decided to select a new leader based on the candidate's ______________.
(a) Ideas about polygamy.
(c) Ideas for overthrowing the government.
6. What were the Mormons' hopes for the outcome of the Civil War?
(a) Europe would intervene.
(b) The Confederacy would win.
(c) Both sides would destroy each other.
(d) They would be rewarded by God.
7. How did Ron and Dan look when they left Brenda's house?
(a) Raving mad.
(d) Covered in blood.
8. Why did the attacking Mormons have to send a letter to Young while fighting the Francher group?
(a) The group offered them a bribe.
(b) The group held out longer than anticipated.
(c) There were many women and children.
(d) The group agreed to convert.
9. Who did the Francher group think was attacking them?
10. How long after Lee's prophecy did Young die?
(a) One week.
(b) Five months.
(c) One month.
(d) Five years.
11. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 20, Krakauer revisits the story of _________.
(a) The Mountain Meadow Massacre.
(b) The angel Moroni.
(c) Young's rise to power.
(d) The Lafferty murders.
12. Smith did NOT leave his followers with guidelines on ______________.
(a) How to bury a Mormon.
(b) How to select a new prophet.
(c) Where to settle next.
(d) How to change the prayers.
13. Why was Dan's testimony crucial to Ron's trial?
(a) Ron wasn't the mastermind.
(b) Ron had a violent history.
(c) Ron was present for the murders.
(d) Ron tried to seduce Brenda.
14. Who survived the Mountain Meadow Massacre?
(a) No one.
(b) Only women and children.
(c) Only young children.
(d) Half of the Francher group.
15. At first, it was anticipated that _____________was to be Smith's successor.
(a) A young woman.
(b) His younger brother.
(c) Brigham Young.
(d) Smith's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men at the School of the Prophets believed they were destined to do what?
2. While Ron and Dan discuss their plan at their mother's house, she is _____ within hearing distance.
3. Why did the Laffertys decide to abandon the rest of their plan?
4. Where was the Francher group headed?
5. What happened to the two men from the Francher group that escaped?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)