|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
(a) It was poor farm land.
(b) It wasn't part of the United States.
(c) Many Mormons already lived there.
(d) It wasn't very populated.
2. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They fled.
(b) They tried to surrender.
(c) They fought back.
(d) They prayed.
3. Debbie Palmer was her own step-grandmother because polygamist men have the right to marry their ______.
4. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(a) The location of the Promised Land.
(b) Their rights as American citizens.
(d) The gender of God.
5. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) The Dream Mine.
(b) The main church.
(c) Salt Lake.
6. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
(a) When he began to follow fundamentalist ideas.
(b) When he lost his arm in a car crash.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When his son married a non-Mormon.
7. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(d) Father and son.
8. How did Tom Green become the target for David Leavitt's lawsuit?
(a) Green attempted to create a new sect of the LDS.
(b) Green spoke about his polygamist lifestyle on national news.
(c) Leavitt was suing all polygamists.
(d) Green was trying to take over the government.
9. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(b) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
(c) He couldn't understand them.
(d) There was a time limit on them.
10. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(a) 25 years.
(b) The death sentence.
(c) Life in prison.
11. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) Blackmore was abusing her.
(b) She'd cheated on her husband.
(c) She'd killed her husband.
(d) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
12. Smith was given instructions by Moroni, God, and ______.
(a) A rock.
(b) The seasons.
(c) His mother.
13. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
(a) Moroni gave him peep stones.
(b) He polished the plates.
(c) He learned German.
(d) Moroni read them to him.
14. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
15. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At chiropractic school.
(b) At church.
(c) At his gym.
(d) At summer camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fundamentalists believed the government was an entity of _______.
2. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
3. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
4. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
5. What did Smith change in his rules for the Mormon Church because of Crossfield?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)