|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(a) Father and son.
2. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
(a) Sexual assault was rare and severely punished.
(b) Sexual assault was common amongst teens.
(c) People were much more at ease.
(d) People were afraid of their husbands.
3. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(a) The gender of God.
(c) Their rights as American citizens.
(d) The location of the Promised Land.
4. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
(a) His speeches.
5. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
(a) To support their cause.
(b) To use as bribes.
(c) To help them through hard times.
(d) To offer to God.
6. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were being charitable in return.
(b) They were helping with its destruction.
(c) They were doing God's will.
(d) They were fueling the economy.
7. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(b) The death sentence.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) 25 years.
8. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Salt Lake Tribune.
(b) Laffertys' diaries.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Chicago Sun Times.
9. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
(a) To make himself a martyr.
(b) He knew it was the right thing.
(c) To solidify peace with Missouri.
(d) God told him to do it.
10. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
11. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(b) The state was under Mormon leadership.
(c) The state was trying to increase its population.
(d) They convinced the governor it was holy.
12. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They follow the same leader.
(b) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(c) They live together.
(d) They stem from the same laws and principles.
13. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
(a) Being a priest.
(b) Being a salesman.
(c) Being a writer.
(d) Being a plumber.
14. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
15. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
(a) To reform the church.
(b) To kill his wife.
(c) To follow Smith.
(d) To raise money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
2. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
3. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
4. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
5. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)