|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
(a) She was very beautiful and kind.
(b) Her parents didn't pay any attention to her.
(c) She was angry with her parents.
(d) She was taught to be obedient and passive.
2. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(b) They had no Hebrew descent.
(c) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(d) They never settled in North America.
3. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(b) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(c) The state was trying to increase its population.
(d) The state was under Mormon leadership.
4. Missourians disliked that the Mormons came into their state with an attitude of _______.
5. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They tried to surrender.
(b) They fled.
(c) They fought back.
(d) They prayed.
6. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
7. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She wanted another husband.
(b) She wasn't abused.
(c) She wanted him to marry more women.
(d) She was afraid of him.
8. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
(a) Relations with Illinois.
(b) The unconditional love of his followers.
(c) Relations with Missouri.
(d) His relationship with Emma.
9. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
(c) His speeches.
10. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(a) Their rights as American citizens.
(b) The location of the Promised Land.
(d) The gender of God.
11. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They follow the same leader.
(b) They stem from the same laws and principles.
(c) They live together.
(d) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
12. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(b) The Dream Mine.
(c) The main church.
(d) Salt Lake.
13. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
(a) To raise money.
(b) To reform the church.
(c) To kill his wife.
(d) To follow Smith.
14. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
(a) To free his people.
(b) Rockwell wanted to be governor.
(c) Rockwell was crazy.
(d) To fulfill Smith's prophecy.
15. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
2. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
3. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
4. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
5. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)