|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Ron's sentence?
(b) 50 years.
(c) The death sentence.
(d) Life in prison.
2. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Laffertys' diaries.
(b) Chicago Sun Times.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Salt Lake Tribune.
3. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) The state was trying to increase its population.
(b) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(c) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(d) The state was under Mormon leadership.
4. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
(d) His speeches.
5. What was the final straw in Law and Smith's friendship?
(a) Smith tried to seduce Law's wife.
(b) Smith stole Law's money.
(c) Law tried to seduce Emma.
(d) Law criticized Smith to the media.
6. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At chiropractic school.
(b) At his gym.
(c) At summer camp.
(d) At church.
7. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
(c) The governor received a revelation from God.
(d) They became distracted by the Civil War.
8. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
(a) Sexual assault was common amongst teens.
(b) People were afraid of their husbands.
(c) Sexual assault was rare and severely punished.
(d) People were much more at ease.
9. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It invalidated personal revelations.
(b) It outlawed polygamy.
(c) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
(d) It legalized polygamy.
10. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Ruby ran away.
(b) Ruby's parents told the police not to.
(c) Ruby was born into a polygamist family.
(d) Ruby was poor.
11. Missourians disliked that the Mormons came into their state with an attitude of _______.
12. How did Dan remember his childhood?
(a) He has no memory of it.
(b) As a happy one.
(c) As a traumatic one.
(d) As an unconventional one.
13. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to take another husband.
(b) She threatened to sue him.
(c) She threatened to start a new religion.
(d) She threatened to leave him.
14. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She wanted him to marry more women.
(b) She was afraid of him.
(c) She wanted another husband.
(d) She wasn't abused.
15. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) He threatened her.
(b) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(c) She needed money.
(d) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
Short Answer Questions
1. Smith was given instructions by Moroni, God, and ______.
2. Why did Smith write Section 132?
3. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
4. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
5. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)