Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were helping with its destruction.
(b) They were being charitable in return.
(c) They were doing God's will.
(d) They were fueling the economy.
3. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) They're not good liars.
(b) He was very flawed.
(c) They see his human qualities.
(d) The religion is so young.
4. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To make polygamy only apply to men.
(b) To make the LDS a political party.
(c) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
(d) To give Mormons rights.
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(b) The death sentence.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) 25 years.
6. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
7. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
(a) How to reason with politicians.
(b) How to rebel against the Latter Day Saints.
(c) How to praise God.
(d) How to have personal revelations.
8. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
(a) Onias' autobiography.
(b) The Book of Mormon.
(c) The Psalm of the School of the Prophets.
(d) The Peace Maker.
9. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
(a) They rejected them.
(b) They praised them.
(c) They ignored them.
(d) They tried to correct them.
10. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to sue him.
(b) She threatened to leave him.
(c) She threatened to take another husband.
(d) She threatened to start a new religion.
11. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
(a) The unconditional love of his followers.
(b) Relations with Missouri.
(c) Relations with Illinois.
(d) His relationship with Emma.
12. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) He couldn't understand them.
(b) There was a time limit on them.
(c) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(d) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
13. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
(b) There was no court system.
(c) Smith controlled the courts.
(d) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
14. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(b) They had no Hebrew descent.
(c) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(d) They never settled in North America.
15. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(b) He was living in the wilderness.
(c) He lost all his money.
(d) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
2. At the School of the Prophets, what practice did Crossfield attempt to reinstate in his students?
3. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
4. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
5. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)