|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(c) Father and son.
2. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
(a) He told her God would be happy.
(b) He wrote her a poem.
(c) He gave her lots of money.
(d) He told her she would be doomed to hell.
3. Missourians disliked that the Mormons came into their state with an attitude of _______.
4. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
(a) Mormonism is much younger.
(b) The books cite different eras.
(c) The Bible is accepted as fact.
(d) The angels discussed are different.
5. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) She'd cheated on her husband.
(b) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
(c) Blackmore was abusing her.
(d) She'd killed her husband.
6. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) There was a time limit on them.
(b) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(c) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
(d) He couldn't understand them.
7. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
(a) To solidify peace with Missouri.
(b) God told him to do it.
(c) He knew it was the right thing.
(d) To make himself a martyr.
8. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At summer camp.
(b) At his gym.
(c) At church.
(d) At chiropractic school.
9. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) God's law.
(b) Basic human rights.
(c) Smith's law.
(d) Natural law.
10. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He was living in the wilderness.
(b) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(c) He lost all his money.
(d) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
11. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
(a) He left video tapes for his future followers.
(b) He's depicted as a real person with flaws.
(c) He predicted the future.
(d) He made strides in eliminating racism.
12. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He lost the translation.
(b) He had to return the gold plates.
(c) He claims the proof is invisible.
(d) He lost the gold plates.
13. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were being charitable in return.
(b) They were helping with its destruction.
(c) They were fueling the economy.
(d) They were doing God's will.
14. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
(a) She was taught to be obedient and passive.
(b) She was very beautiful and kind.
(c) Her parents didn't pay any attention to her.
(d) She was angry with her parents.
15. Fundamentalists believed the government was an entity of _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
2. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
3. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
4. What did Smith change in his rules for the Mormon Church because of Crossfield?
5. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)