|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
(a) The Psalm of the School of the Prophets.
(b) Onias' autobiography.
(c) The Book of Mormon.
(d) The Peace Maker.
2. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(b) The state was trying to increase its population.
(c) The state was under Mormon leadership.
(d) They were good farmers and businessmen.
3. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They follow the same leader.
(b) They stem from the same laws and principles.
(c) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(d) They live together.
4. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
(a) It could only happen if a woman was ovulating.
(b) It could only happen on every anniversary.
(c) It could only happen once a week.
(d) It could only happen when one was selected from the lottery.
5. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
(a) To raise money.
(b) To reform the church.
(c) To follow Smith.
(d) To kill his wife.
6. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At chiropractic school.
(b) At his gym.
(c) At church.
(d) At summer camp.
7. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She wanted another husband.
(b) She wasn't abused.
(c) She was afraid of him.
(d) She wanted him to marry more women.
8. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
9. How did Dan remember his childhood?
(a) He has no memory of it.
(b) As an unconventional one.
(c) As a happy one.
(d) As a traumatic one.
10. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(b) The location of the Promised Land.
(c) The gender of God.
(d) Their rights as American citizens.
11. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
(a) They were forced to convert.
(b) The promises of wealth and fame.
(c) The corruption of other religions.
(d) Its modern approach to religion.
12. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It invalidated personal revelations.
(b) It outlawed polygamy.
(c) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
(d) It legalized polygamy.
13. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He lost all his money.
(b) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(c) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
(d) He was living in the wilderness.
14. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His creativity.
(b) His charisma.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His worldliness.
15. Why was Smith sued by his clients for fraud?
(a) The treasure was fools gold.
(b) He never found any treasure.
(c) He promised them eternal life.
(d) He lied about his identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
2. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
3. What was the result of Robert Crossfield's revelation?
4. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
5. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)