|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Smith sued by his clients for fraud?
(a) The treasure was fools gold.
(b) He promised them eternal life.
(c) He lied about his identity.
(d) He never found any treasure.
2. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(b) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
(c) She needed money.
(d) He threatened her.
3. Krakauer says he will try to explain the ______ of the Lafferty brothers' murders.
4. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
(b) There was no court system.
(c) Smith controlled the courts.
(d) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
5. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
(a) Relations with Illinois.
(b) His relationship with Emma.
(c) Relations with Missouri.
(d) The unconditional love of his followers.
6. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) The governor received a revelation from God.
(c) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
(d) They became distracted by the Civil War.
7. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
8. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
9. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
10. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(b) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
(c) He was living in the wilderness.
(d) He lost all his money.
11. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) Blackmore was abusing her.
(b) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
(c) She'd killed her husband.
(d) She'd cheated on her husband.
12. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) A timeline of the day.
(b) The history of the School of the Prophets.
(c) The history of his family.
(d) The motives of his brothers.
13. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
(a) Being a plumber.
(b) Being a priest.
(c) Being a writer.
(d) Being a salesman.
14. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) A new promise land.
(b) A new take on government.
(c) Money and celebrity for the church.
(d) The return of polygamy.
15. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Elizabeth asked him to save her from her family.
(b) He was a man and could do anything he wanted.
(c) Their marriage was ordained by God.
(d) He was temporarily insane and didn't realize what he was doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
2. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
3. Debbie Palmer was her own step-grandmother because polygamist men have the right to marry their ______.
4. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
5. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)