|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At his gym.
(b) At chiropractic school.
(c) At church.
(d) At summer camp.
2. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
(a) It wasn't part of the United States at the time.
(b) They believed the original Garden of Eden was there.
(c) It was Smith's birthplace.
(d) It was sparsely populated.
3. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To make the LDS a political party.
(b) To make polygamy only apply to men.
(c) To give Mormons rights.
(d) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
4. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) Salt Lake.
(b) The Dream Mine.
(c) The main church.
5. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They stem from the same laws and principles.
(b) They follow the same leader.
(c) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(d) They live together.
6. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Laffertys' diaries.
(b) New York Times.
(c) Salt Lake Tribune.
(d) Chicago Sun Times.
7. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
(a) How to have personal revelations.
(b) How to rebel against the Latter Day Saints.
(c) How to reason with politicians.
(d) How to praise God.
8. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His worldliness.
(b) His charisma.
(c) His creativity.
(d) His wealth.
9. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was in love with another man.
(b) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
10. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
(a) It was written in Egyptian.
(b) It was worn.
(c) It was too bright out.
(d) It was written in old English.
11. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
(a) The girls are very attached to their families.
(b) There is strict security in the communities.
(c) The girls are raised to comply.
(d) The police are also polygamists.
12. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
13. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(d) Father and son.
14. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
15. Krakauer says he will try to explain the ______ of the Lafferty brothers' murders.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Smith destroyed Law's printing press, people feared Smith would become a _______ leader.
2. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
3. Why was Smith sued by his clients for fraud?
4. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
5. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)