|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) Smith controlled the courts.
(b) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
(c) There was no court system.
(d) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
2. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
(a) Relations with Illinois.
(b) The unconditional love of his followers.
(c) His relationship with Emma.
(d) Relations with Missouri.
3. What idea of Mormon families was the biggest problem to Debbie Palmer?
(a) The patriarchy.
(b) The low standards of living.
(c) The number of children.
(d) The strict rules.
4. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
(a) To discuss he closeness of brothers.
(b) To discuss the necessity of religion.
(c) To discuss crime committed in the name of God.
(d) To discuss the evolution of religion.
5. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
(a) It wasn't very populated.
(b) It was poor farm land.
(c) It wasn't part of the United States.
(d) Many Mormons already lived there.
6. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
(d) Their mother's.
7. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They tried to correct them.
(c) They rejected them.
(d) They praised them.
8. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Ron's sentence?
(a) The death sentence.
(b) 50 years.
(d) Life in prison.
9. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
(a) What the meaning of life is.
(b) Whom the Lafferty family represents.
(c) Why these murders happened.
(d) What defines right and wrong.
10. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He lost all his money.
(b) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(c) He was living in the wilderness.
(d) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
11. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At church.
(b) At summer camp.
(c) At chiropractic school.
(d) At his gym.
12. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) Smith's law.
(b) God's law.
(c) Natural law.
(d) Basic human rights.
13. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
(a) To use as bribes.
(b) To offer to God.
(c) To support their cause.
(d) To help them through hard times.
14. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
15. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
(b) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
(c) Smart's family was wealthier.
(d) Smart's abductors were famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
2. Why was Smith sued by his clients for fraud?
3. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
4. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
5. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)