|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
(a) He knew it was the right thing.
(b) To make himself a martyr.
(c) To solidify peace with Missouri.
(d) God told him to do it.
2. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They praised them.
(c) They tried to correct them.
(d) They rejected them.
3. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
(c) His speeches.
4. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
(a) There is strict security in the communities.
(b) The girls are very attached to their families.
(c) The police are also polygamists.
(d) The girls are raised to comply.
5. Joseph Smith was the son of a ______.
6. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His worldliness.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His creativity.
(d) His charisma.
7. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(b) The state was trying to increase its population.
(c) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(d) The state was under Mormon leadership.
8. Although Law's actions against Smith had little effect on Smith's power, what did it affect?
(a) The unconditional love of his followers.
(b) Relations with Missouri.
(c) His relationship with Emma.
(d) Relations with Illinois.
9. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
10. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She was afraid of him.
(b) She wanted him to marry more women.
(c) She wanted another husband.
(d) She wasn't abused.
11. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to sue him.
(b) She threatened to take another husband.
(c) She threatened to start a new religion.
(d) She threatened to leave him.
12. At the School of the Prophets, what practice did Crossfield attempt to reinstate in his students?
13. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
(a) It could only happen on every anniversary.
(b) It could only happen if a woman was ovulating.
(c) It could only happen when one was selected from the lottery.
(d) It could only happen once a week.
14. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) The religion is so young.
(b) He was very flawed.
(c) They see his human qualities.
(d) They're not good liars.
15. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) He couldn't understand them.
(b) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(c) There was a time limit on them.
(d) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
2. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
3. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
4. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
5. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)