|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) A new take on government.
(b) Money and celebrity for the church.
(c) The return of polygamy.
(d) A new promise land.
2. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
(a) The books cite different eras.
(b) The Bible is accepted as fact.
(c) Mormonism is much younger.
(d) The angels discussed are different.
3. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They had no Hebrew descent.
(b) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(c) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(d) They never settled in North America.
4. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She was afraid of him.
(b) She wanted him to marry more women.
(c) She wanted another husband.
(d) She wasn't abused.
5. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to sue him.
(b) She threatened to start a new religion.
(c) She threatened to take another husband.
(d) She threatened to leave him.
6. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart's abductors were famous.
(b) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
(c) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
(d) Smart's family was wealthier.
7. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They tried to surrender.
(b) They fled.
(c) They prayed.
(d) They fought back.
8. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(a) The death sentence.
(b) 25 years.
(d) Life in prison.
9. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(b) The Dream Mine.
(c) Salt Lake.
(d) The main church.
10. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
(c) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(d) The governor received a revelation from God.
11. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
(b) He wanted to prove his love for God.
(c) He lost all his money.
(d) He was living in the wilderness.
12. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(b) The state was under Mormon leadership.
(c) The state was trying to increase its population.
(d) They were good farmers and businessmen.
13. After DeLoy was excommunicated, why did the Mormon Church try to sue him?
(a) His house was owned by the church.
(b) He was criticizing the church to the media.
(c) He'd stolen money from them.
(d) He'd broken Mormon laws.
14. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
(a) It could only happen on every anniversary.
(b) It could only happen when one was selected from the lottery.
(c) It could only happen once a week.
(d) It could only happen if a woman was ovulating.
15. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) There was a time limit on them.
(b) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
(c) He couldn't understand them.
(d) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
2. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
3. What was the final straw in Law and Smith's friendship?
4. Which text was responsible for many of the Laffertys' marriages falling apart?
5. Smith was given instructions by Moroni, God, and ______.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)