|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(b) Father and son.
2. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
(a) He wrote her a poem.
(b) He gave her lots of money.
(c) He told her God would be happy.
(d) He told her she would be doomed to hell.
3. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He claims the proof is invisible.
(b) He lost the gold plates.
(c) He had to return the gold plates.
(d) He lost the translation.
4. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) The return of polygamy.
(b) Money and celebrity for the church.
(c) A new promise land.
(d) A new take on government.
5. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They tried to surrender.
(b) They prayed.
(c) They fought back.
(d) They fled.
6. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It adds extra bulk to the book.
(b) It enhances his credibility.
(c) It serves as a backdrop.
(d) It gives credit to the contributors.
7. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She wanted another husband.
(b) She was afraid of him.
(c) She wasn't abused.
(d) She wanted him to marry more women.
8. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
(a) He was her husband.
(b) He was her father.
(c) He was her brother.
(d) He was her cousin.
9. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(b) Their rights as American citizens.
(c) The gender of God.
(d) The location of the Promised Land.
10. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It legalized polygamy.
(b) It invalidated personal revelations.
(c) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
(d) It outlawed polygamy.
11. Mormons attacked the Missourians after an _______ Missourian beat a Mormon man.
12. Why did Dan give up his driver's license and stop paying taxes?
(a) He lost all his money.
(b) He was following the early teachings of Mormon.
(c) He was living in the wilderness.
(d) He wanted to prove his love for God.
13. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
(a) They believed the original Garden of Eden was there.
(b) It wasn't part of the United States at the time.
(c) It was sparsely populated.
(d) It was Smith's birthplace.
14. Missourians disliked that the Mormons came into their state with an attitude of _______.
15. What was the result of Robert Crossfield's revelation?
(a) He was excommunicated.
(b) He was killed.
(c) He was promoted.
(d) Many people left the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did non-Mormons feel about the beliefs printed in the Book of Mormon?
2. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
3. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
4. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
5. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)