|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To give Mormons rights.
(b) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
(c) To make the LDS a political party.
(d) To make polygamy only apply to men.
2. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
(a) Sexual assault was common amongst teens.
(b) People were much more at ease.
(c) Sexual assault was rare and severely punished.
(d) People were afraid of their husbands.
3. Why was Law unable to press charges against Smith?
(a) Smith controlled the courts.
(b) There was no court system.
(c) Law had his fair share of bad deeds.
(d) Law wasn't a very good lawyer.
4. Why did Mormons settle in Missouri?
(a) It was sparsely populated.
(b) They believed the original Garden of Eden was there.
(c) It was Smith's birthplace.
(d) It wasn't part of the United States at the time.
5. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At chiropractic school.
(b) At summer camp.
(c) At church.
(d) At his gym.
6. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
(a) He polished the plates.
(b) Moroni gave him peep stones.
(c) He learned German.
(d) Moroni read them to him.
7. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(b) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
(c) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(d) The governor received a revelation from God.
8. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(b) He threatened her.
(c) She needed money.
(d) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
9. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
(a) When he began to follow fundamentalist ideas.
(b) When his son married a non-Mormon.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When he lost his arm in a car crash.
10. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) The religion is so young.
(b) They're not good liars.
(c) He was very flawed.
(d) They see his human qualities.
11. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
(a) It was written in old English.
(b) It was too bright out.
(c) It was worn.
(d) It was written in Egyptian.
12. How did Smith convince Emma to support his polygamist marriage?
(a) He gave her lots of money.
(b) He told her she would be doomed to hell.
(c) He told her God would be happy.
(d) He wrote her a poem.
13. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
14. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was in love with another man.
(b) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
15. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
(c) Their mother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
2. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
3. How did non-Mormons feel about the beliefs printed in the Book of Mormon?
4. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
5. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)