|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Mormons respond to being attacked by Missourians in October, 1838?
(a) They prayed.
(b) They fled.
(c) They tried to surrender.
(d) They fought back.
2. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
(a) When he lost his arm in a car crash.
(b) When his son married a non-Mormon.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When he began to follow fundamentalist ideas.
3. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
4. According to the Latter Day Saints, why did Moroni leave them gold?
(a) To use as bribes.
(b) To support their cause.
(c) To offer to God.
(d) To help them through hard times.
5. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Elizabeth asked him to save her from her family.
(b) Their marriage was ordained by God.
(c) He was a man and could do anything he wanted.
(d) He was temporarily insane and didn't realize what he was doing.
6. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
(a) Sexual assault was common amongst teens.
(b) Sexual assault was rare and severely punished.
(c) People were afraid of their husbands.
(d) People were much more at ease.
7. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he married Emma Harris.
(b) If he paid Moroni.
(c) If he went to the mountain.
(d) If he prayed ten times a day.
8. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) The history of the School of the Prophets.
(b) A timeline of the day.
(c) The history of his family.
(d) The motives of his brothers.
9. Why did Rockwell try to kill Missouri's governor?
(a) Rockwell was crazy.
(b) To fulfill Smith's prophecy.
(c) Rockwell wanted to be governor.
(d) To free his people.
10. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To give Mormons rights.
(b) To make the LDS a political party.
(c) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
(d) To make polygamy only apply to men.
11. How did Dan remember his childhood?
(a) As a happy one.
(b) As a traumatic one.
(c) He has no memory of it.
(d) As an unconventional one.
12. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
(b) She needed money.
(c) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(d) He threatened her.
13. Dan and Ron believed Brenda and Erica's deaths were _______.
14. After DeLoy was excommunicated, why did the Mormon Church try to sue him?
(a) He'd stolen money from them.
(b) He was criticizing the church to the media.
(c) He'd broken Mormon laws.
(d) His house was owned by the church.
15. What was the final straw in Law and Smith's friendship?
(a) Smith tried to seduce Law's wife.
(b) Smith stole Law's money.
(c) Law tried to seduce Emma.
(d) Law criticized Smith to the media.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Mormons allowed to settle in Caldwell County?
2. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
3. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
4. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
5. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Ron's sentence?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)