|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They follow the same leader.
(b) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(c) They stem from the same laws and principles.
(d) They live together.
2. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
(a) The promises of wealth and fame.
(b) Its modern approach to religion.
(c) The corruption of other religions.
(d) They were forced to convert.
3. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It gives credit to the contributors.
(b) It adds extra bulk to the book.
(c) It serves as a backdrop.
(d) It enhances his credibility.
4. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(a) 25 years.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) The death sentence.
5. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
(c) Their mother's.
6. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They never settled in North America.
(b) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(c) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(d) They had no Hebrew descent.
7. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) They're not good liars.
(b) They see his human qualities.
(c) The religion is so young.
(d) He was very flawed.
8. Why were the Mormons permitted to settle in Illinois?
(a) The state was under Mormon leadership.
(b) They were good farmers and businessmen.
(c) They convinced the governor it was holy.
(d) The state was trying to increase its population.
9. Fundamentalists believed the government was an entity of _______.
10. After DeLoy was excommunicated, why did the Mormon Church try to sue him?
(a) He'd stolen money from them.
(b) His house was owned by the church.
(c) He'd broken Mormon laws.
(d) He was criticizing the church to the media.
11. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) The history of the School of the Prophets.
(b) The history of his family.
(c) A timeline of the day.
(d) The motives of his brothers.
12. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he went to the mountain.
(b) If he paid Moroni.
(c) If he married Emma Harris.
(d) If he prayed ten times a day.
13. After fleeing Illinois, why did Smith return?
(a) To get his family.
(b) He missed his home.
(c) He believed he was abandoning his people.
(d) To confess his faults.
14. Where is the Nephites' gold supposedly held?
(a) Salt Lake.
(b) The Dream Mine.
(c) The main church.
15. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To give Mormons rights.
(b) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
(c) To make polygamy only apply to men.
(d) To make the LDS a political party.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
2. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
3. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
4. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
5. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)