|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
(a) They were forced to convert.
(b) The promises of wealth and fame.
(c) The corruption of other religions.
(d) Its modern approach to religion.
2. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
3. What is the relationship between Ron and Dan Lafferty?
(a) Father and son.
4. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
(a) Smart's captors wanted ransom money.
(b) Smart's family was wealthier.
(c) Smart was being forced into a polygamist lifestyle.
(d) Smart's abductors were famous.
5. When Linda was asked about her life with Green, her husband, what did she say?
(a) She wasn't abused.
(b) She wanted another husband.
(c) She was afraid of him.
(d) She wanted him to marry more women.
6. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Ruby's parents told the police not to.
(b) Ruby ran away.
(c) Ruby was born into a polygamist family.
(d) Ruby was poor.
7. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
(a) He knew it was the right thing.
(b) God told him to do it.
(c) To make himself a martyr.
(d) To solidify peace with Missouri.
8. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They praised them.
(c) They rejected them.
(d) They tried to correct them.
9. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Laffertys' diaries.
(b) Chicago Sun Times.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Salt Lake Tribune.
10. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Dan's sentence?
(a) The death sentence.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) 25 years.
11. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
(a) People were afraid of their husbands.
(b) People were much more at ease.
(c) Sexual assault was common amongst teens.
(d) Sexual assault was rare and severely punished.
12. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) Blackmore was abusing her.
(b) She'd killed her husband.
(c) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
(d) She'd cheated on her husband.
13. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It outlawed polygamy.
(b) It legalized polygamy.
(c) It invalidated personal revelations.
(d) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
14. Why did Smith write Section 132?
(a) To make polygamy only apply to men.
(b) To make the LDS a political party.
(c) To give Mormons rights.
(d) To ensure his offspring would lead after him.
15. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
(a) To raise money.
(b) To kill his wife.
(c) To reform the church.
(d) To follow Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
2. Debbie Palmer was her own step-grandmother because polygamist men have the right to marry their ______.
3. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
4. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
5. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)