|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his revelation, what does Crossfield claim he was told by God?
(a) To kill his wife.
(b) To raise money.
(c) To follow Smith.
(d) To reform the church.
2. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
(a) The books cite different eras.
(b) The angels discussed are different.
(c) Mormonism is much younger.
(d) The Bible is accepted as fact.
3. What did Emma threaten Smith with to get him to stop marrying more women?
(a) She threatened to take another husband.
(b) She threatened to start a new religion.
(c) She threatened to leave him.
(d) She threatened to sue him.
4. According to Krakauer, what makes people today able to identify with Smith?
(a) He left video tapes for his future followers.
(b) He predicted the future.
(c) He made strides in eliminating racism.
(d) He's depicted as a real person with flaws.
5. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he paid Moroni.
(b) If he prayed ten times a day.
(c) If he went to the mountain.
(d) If he married Emma Harris.
6. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
(a) Moroni gave him peep stones.
(b) Moroni read them to him.
(c) He learned German.
(d) He polished the plates.
7. Why, according to Krakauer, is it difficult for Mormon's to paint a flaw-free picture of Smith?
(a) They're not good liars.
(b) They see his human qualities.
(c) He was very flawed.
(d) The religion is so young.
8. Why were people drawn to Joseph Smith?
(a) His creativity.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His worldliness.
(d) His charisma.
9. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
(a) A timeline of the day.
(b) The motives of his brothers.
(c) The history of his family.
(d) The history of the School of the Prophets.
10. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
(a) To discuss he closeness of brothers.
(b) To discuss crime committed in the name of God.
(c) To discuss the necessity of religion.
(d) To discuss the evolution of religion.
11. What did Crossfield teach his students at the School of the Prophets?
(a) How to reason with politicians.
(b) How to rebel against the Latter Day Saints.
(c) How to praise God.
(d) How to have personal revelations.
12. What did Smith change in his rules for the Mormon Church because of Crossfield?
(a) Church leaders would receive higher salaries.
(b) Everyone had to have a background check before being accepted into the church.
(c) Only children of current leaders could lead.
(d) Only church leaders could have revelations.
13. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
(a) There was a time limit on them.
(b) Moroni didn't show him the right ones.
(c) He couldn't understand them.
(d) He looked at them before he was instructed to do so.
14. Krakauer explains that early Mormons believed government law was inferior to __________.
(a) Basic human rights.
(b) God's law.
(c) Smith's law.
(d) Natural law.
15. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Ruby's parents told the police not to.
(b) Ruby was poor.
(c) Ruby was born into a polygamist family.
(d) Ruby ran away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
2. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
3. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
4. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
5. When did Dan Lafferty's life begin to fall apart?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)