|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 9 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(c) The governor received a revelation from God.
(d) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
2. Where did Dan first become introduced to the idea of polygamy?
(a) At church.
(b) At chiropractic school.
(c) At his gym.
(d) At summer camp.
3. What did Smith change in his rules for the Mormon Church because of Crossfield?
(a) Only children of current leaders could lead.
(b) Church leaders would receive higher salaries.
(c) Only church leaders could have revelations.
(d) Everyone had to have a background check before being accepted into the church.
4. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was in love with another man.
(b) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
5. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
(a) If he went to the mountain.
(b) If he prayed ten times a day.
(c) If he married Emma Harris.
(d) If he paid Moroni.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
2. Why did Smith plead guilty to treason?
3. How was sex regulated in fundamentalist Mormon communities?
4. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
5. Krakauer explains that many Christians converted to Mormonism because of __________________.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)