|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(c) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
(d) The governor received a revelation from God.
2. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Salt Lake Tribune.
(b) Chicago Sun Times.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Laffertys' diaries.
3. What is the key difference Krakauer cites between the Bible and the Book of Mormon?
(a) The books cite different eras.
(b) The Bible is accepted as fact.
(c) The angels discussed are different.
(d) Mormonism is much younger.
4. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They live together.
(b) They stem from the same laws and principles.
(c) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(d) They follow the same leader.
5. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(a) Their rights as American citizens.
(c) The location of the Promised Land.
(d) The gender of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
2. Fundamentalists believed the government was an entity of _______.
3. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
4. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
5. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)