|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
(a) Laffertys' diaries.
(b) Chicago Sun Times.
(c) New York Times.
(d) Salt Lake Tribune.
2. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were fueling the economy.
(b) They were being charitable in return.
(c) They were doing God's will.
(d) They were helping with its destruction.
3. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
(d) Their mother's.
4. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Ruby was born into a polygamist family.
(b) Ruby ran away.
(c) Ruby was poor.
(d) Ruby's parents told the police not to.
5. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
(b) They never settled in North America.
(c) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(d) They had no Hebrew descent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the modern Mormon Church receive Ron and Dan?
2. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
3. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
4. What job did Debbie's third husband quit?
5. What does Krakuer explain is his larger objective in the story of the Laffertys?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)