|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mitchell justify his abduction of Elizabeth Smart?
(a) Elizabeth asked him to save her from her family.
(b) He was temporarily insane and didn't realize what he was doing.
(c) He was a man and could do anything he wanted.
(d) Their marriage was ordained by God.
2. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
(b) It legalized polygamy.
(c) It invalidated personal revelations.
(d) It outlawed polygamy.
3. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
(a) She was angry with her parents.
(b) Her parents didn't pay any attention to her.
(c) She was taught to be obedient and passive.
(d) She was very beautiful and kind.
4. What is the purpose of the facts Krakauer provides?
(a) It enhances his credibility.
(b) It adds extra bulk to the book.
(c) It gives credit to the contributors.
(d) It serves as a backdrop.
5. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He lost the translation.
(b) He claims the proof is invisible.
(c) He had to return the gold plates.
(d) He lost the gold plates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the gold plates vanish the first time they were presented to Smith?
2. According to Krakauer, why was the search for Ruby Jessop less thorough than for Elizabeth Smart?
3. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
4. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
5. How did Tom Green become the target for David Leavitt's lawsuit?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)