|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 3 - 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
(b) She was in love with another man.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
2. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
(a) The public was sympathetic to the polygamist families.
(b) The governor received a revelation from God.
(c) They became distracted by the Civil War.
(d) The Mormons were fueling the economy.
3. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
(a) There is strict security in the communities.
(b) The girls are raised to comply.
(c) The girls are very attached to their families.
(d) The police are also polygamists.
4. Debbie Palmer was her own step-grandmother because polygamist men have the right to marry their ______.
5. Why did Debbie decide to flee Bountiful?
(a) Blackmore wanted to marry her daughter.
(b) She'd killed her husband.
(c) Blackmore was abusing her.
(d) She'd cheated on her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
2. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
3. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
4. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
5. What idea of Mormon families was the biggest problem to Debbie Palmer?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)