|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 3 - 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why is it difficult for young girls to break away from abusive marriages in fundamentalist communities?
(a) The girls are very attached to their families.
(b) There is strict security in the communities.
(c) The girls are raised to comply.
(d) The police are also polygamists.
2. What effect did the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887 have on the Mormon Church?
(a) It invalidated personal revelations.
(b) It outlawed polygamy.
(c) It recognized the LDS as a legitimate organization.
(d) It legalized polygamy.
3. How was Allen Lafferty related to Brenda?
(a) He was her cousin.
(b) He was her father.
(c) He was her brother.
(d) He was her husband.
4. In "Under the Banner of Heaven," what does Krakauer believe is the biggest disagreement between fundamentalists and modern Mormons?
(b) The location of the Promised Land.
(c) Their rights as American citizens.
(d) The gender of God.
5. Why did Flora Jessop flee her home?
(a) She was being forced into a polygamist marriage.
(b) She wasn't sure she wanted to be Mormon anymore.
(c) She was afraid of her father.
(d) She was in love with another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the murders of Brenda and Erica Lafferty, what was Ron's sentence?
2. Krakauer uses direct quotes from the _____________.
3. Whose will did Dan and Ron believe they were carrying out?
4. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
5. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)