|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 7 and 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did fundamentalists see accepting government funds as a virtuous act?
(a) They were doing God's will.
(b) They were being charitable in return.
(c) They were helping with its destruction.
(d) They were fueling the economy.
2. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
(a) They were alive earlier than the story claims.
(b) They never settled in North America.
(c) They had no Hebrew descent.
(d) They were not affiliated with any of the groups Smith claimed.
3. Why did Matilda stay with Dan, despite her issues with his religious practices?
(a) She felt she needed to learn from him.
(b) She agreed with his beliefs for the most part.
(c) He threatened her.
(d) She needed money.
4. According to Krakauer, why is there no proof of Smith's revelation?
(a) He claims the proof is invisible.
(b) He had to return the gold plates.
(c) He lost the gold plates.
(d) He lost the translation.
5. Why couldn't Smith read the inscription on the gold plates?
(a) It was written in Egyptian.
(b) It was worn.
(c) It was too bright out.
(d) It was written in old English.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Krakauer, why did Smart's abduction draw so much attention and a thorough search?
2. Why were Colorado's efforts to get rid of polygamy stopped?
3. Krakauer explains that, because of Crossfield, Smith realized the ______ of allowing personal revelations.
4. Joseph Smith is believed to have practiced ________.
5. What question does Krakauer claim he will answer in "Under the Banner of Heaven"?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)