|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 7 and 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Krakauer describes Watson Lafferty as a ________.
2. According to Debbie Palmer, what made Elizabeth Smart an easy target for abduction?
(a) She was taught to be obedient and passive.
(b) She was very beautiful and kind.
(c) She was angry with her parents.
(d) Her parents didn't pay any attention to her.
3. What similarities does Krakauer cite between fundamentalist and modern Mormons?
(a) They follow the same leader.
(b) They live together.
(c) They are both prominent forces in American politics.
(d) They stem from the same laws and principles.
4. How was Smith finally able to read the gold plates?
(a) Moroni read them to him.
(b) Moroni gave him peep stones.
(c) He polished the plates.
(d) He learned German.
5. After the Edmunds Tucker Act of 1887, what did fundamentalist believe a new prophet would bring?
(a) The return of polygamy.
(b) A new promise land.
(c) A new take on government.
(d) Money and celebrity for the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did the strict regulations on sex in fundamentalist communities have, according to Debbie?
2. What was the flaw Krakauer observes in Smith's story of the Lamanites?
3. After loosing 116 pages of the transcribed text from the gold plates, what was the only way Smith said he could view them again?
4. What information did Allen Lafferty provide which aided Krakauer's description of the murders?
5. Krakauer makes the observation that all religions have their share of _______.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)