* Krakauer discusses that Brenda and Erica Lafferty were murdered by Dan and Ron Lafferty.
* The Lafferty brothers were charged with the murders. Dan received life in prison, and Ron received the death sentence.
* The Lafferty brothers explained they felt justified by their actions because they were acting in the will of God.
* Krakauer explains that his intention with the book is to discuss violent acts committed in the name of God.
* Krakauer chronicles the murders.
* Krakauer describes the events leading up to the murders by using an account by Allen Lafferty.
* Krakauer describes the scene of the murders.
Part I, Chapters 1 - 2
* Krakauer describes the modern Mormon Church.
* The modern Mormons didn't accept Lafferty as part of their church.
* Krakauer explains that the main contention between modern and fundamentalist Mormons is polygamy, which is no longer accepted by the modern Church.
* Krakauer explains that Joseph Smith was...
This section contains 3,026 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)