|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
2. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
3. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
4. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
5. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
2. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
3. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
4. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
5. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
6. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
7. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
8. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
9. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
10. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her young adult years, Lessing becomes affiliated with the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia - at the time, considered a very political party for a young British woman to join. Discuss Lessing's initial feelings regarding the Communist Party, as well as the changes that occurred to that opinion during the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. What was Lessing's political stance at the time of her autobiography? How does she comment on the ideals and implementation of Socialism or Communism? How would instituting a Communist government in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) have been different than instituting a Communist government in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lessing's position on social class and class structures. How did Lessing perceive class? What was her social class at birth? And, how did her family's social status affect her understanding of the term, class? What moments from the autobiography appear to have contributed to her notions of what class and class structure were? Considering events from her childhood and young adult years, what inspired Lessing to join the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up in two distinct regions of the British Empire, Lessing received a very intimate portrait of race relations in the British territories before the dissolution of the Empire. Analyze the way in which Lessing approached race and race relations in her autobiography. How did she define the term, race, among the people living in Persia and Southern Rhodesia at that time? How did the different races interact in Southern Rhodesia? How did Lessing's understanding of race compare or contrast with the opinions of those around her?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)