|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
2. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
3. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
4. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
5. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
2. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
3. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
4. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
5. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
6. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
7. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
8. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
9. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
10. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Born during the final days of the British Empire, Doris Lessing presents a unique take on the Empire and imperial policy. Discuss Lessing's developing views on the Empire. Explore themes such as the ethics of the Empire, the financial ramifications of the Empire, and the social changes that she discusses after the fall of the Empire. What does her overall message regarding British imperialism appear to be? Support your answers with evidence from the autobiography.
Essay Topic 2
In this section of the autobiography, Lessing detailed her progression to sexual awakening and maturity. Analyze Lessing's developing notions on sexuality in that section of her life story. How did she view sexuality? How did her views differ from the majority of those in her community? How did Lessing derive those notions of sexuality? Provide details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
As Lessing recounted the details of her young adult life, she commented on the institution of marriage through a discussion of her three unsuccessful unions. Examine Lessing's position on marriage and divorce in the text. Was her notion of marriage and divorce congruent with the notion of marriage and/or divorce at that time? If not, how did her opinion vary? What were her messages regarding marriage and divorce customs in the British Empire at that time?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)