|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
2. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
3. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
4. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
5. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
2. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
3. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
4. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
5. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
6. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
7. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
8. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
9. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
10. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, Lessing grew up in Persia and Southern Rhodesia - regions that were both part of the British Commonwealth. Examine the way in which Lessing discussed life as an English citizen living in the Commonwealth. What were the conditions of their lives as English citizens? How did the lives of the English differ from the lives of the indigenous peoples? How did Lessing treat those conditions and differences?
Essay Topic 2
In this section of the autobiography, Lessing detailed her progression to sexual awakening and maturity. Analyze Lessing's developing notions on sexuality in that section of her life story. How did she view sexuality? How did her views differ from the majority of those in her community? How did Lessing derive those notions of sexuality? Provide details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Gender emerges in the autobiography as a determining factor in Lessing's life that influences her behavior and reception as a young woman within her community. Discuss the way in which Lessing portrayed the effect of gender roles on her growing identity. How did Lessing's mother model femininity? How did Lessing act out against or comply with that model of female behavior? How did she seem to define herself as a woman?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)