|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
2. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
3. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
4. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
5. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
2. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
3. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
4. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
5. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
6. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
7. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
8. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
9. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
10. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her young adult years, Lessing becomes affiliated with the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia - at the time, considered a very political party for a young British woman to join. Discuss Lessing's initial feelings regarding the Communist Party, as well as the changes that occurred to that opinion during the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. What was Lessing's political stance at the time of her autobiography? How does she comment on the ideals and implementation of Socialism or Communism? How would instituting a Communist government in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) have been different than instituting a Communist government in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way in which Lessing presented her relationship with her mother. Did she respect or resent her mother? What strained their relationship? Why did Lessing's mother disapprove of Lessing's choices? Ultimately, how did Lessing reflect on her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
As Lessing recounted the details of her young adult life, she commented on the institution of marriage through a discussion of her three unsuccessful unions. Examine Lessing's position on marriage and divorce in the text. Was her notion of marriage and divorce congruent with the notion of marriage and/or divorce at that time? If not, how did her opinion vary? What were her messages regarding marriage and divorce customs in the British Empire at that time?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)