|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
2. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
3. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
4. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
5. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
2. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
3. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
4. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
5. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
6. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
7. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
8. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
9. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
10. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the way in which Lessing deals with mental illness in her autobiography. How did she approach the issue of mental illness? How did she treat the people whom she mentioned within her autobiography who suffered from mental illness? Was she sympathetic? Compassionate? Understanding? What effect did mental illness have on her life? How might that effect, if any, explain or illuminate her position on mental illness?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up in two distinct regions of the British Empire, Lessing received a very intimate portrait of race relations in the British territories before the dissolution of the Empire. Analyze the way in which Lessing approached race and race relations in her autobiography. How did she define the term, race, among the people living in Persia and Southern Rhodesia at that time? How did the different races interact in Southern Rhodesia? How did Lessing's understanding of race compare or contrast with the opinions of those around her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lessing's views on the role and consequences of violence. How did she define violence? What was her stance regarding violence on the personal or national level? Did her opinion remain consistent in all instances? Or did it vary by circumstance? According to Lessing, were there instances of justified violence or war?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)