|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
2. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
3. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
4. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
5. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
2. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
3. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
4. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
5. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
8. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
9. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
10. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, Lessing grew up in Persia and Southern Rhodesia - regions that were both part of the British Commonwealth. Examine the way in which Lessing discussed life as an English citizen living in the Commonwealth. What were the conditions of their lives as English citizens? How did the lives of the English differ from the lives of the indigenous peoples? How did Lessing treat those conditions and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lessing's perspective on social and political activism. How did Lessing connect theory and praxis? Were the people whom she associated with isolated intellectuals or were they activists for a particular cause? How did Lessing portray activist causes throughout her autobiography? What did she advocate?
Essay Topic 3
In this section of the autobiography, Lessing detailed her progression to sexual awakening and maturity. Analyze Lessing's developing notions on sexuality in that section of her life story. How did she view sexuality? How did her views differ from the majority of those in her community? How did Lessing derive those notions of sexuality? Provide details from the text.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)