|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
2. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
3. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
4. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
5. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this section of the autobiography, Lessing detailed her progression to sexual awakening and maturity. Analyze Lessing's developing notions on sexuality in that section of her life story. How did she view sexuality? How did her views differ from the majority of those in her community? How did Lessing derive those notions of sexuality? Provide details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lessing's position on social class and class structures. How did Lessing perceive class? What was her social class at birth? And, how did her family's social status affect her understanding of the term, class? What moments from the autobiography appear to have contributed to her notions of what class and class structure were? Considering events from her childhood and young adult years, what inspired Lessing to join the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lessing's views on the role and consequences of violence. How did she define violence? What was her stance regarding violence on the personal or national level? Did her opinion remain consistent in all instances? Or did it vary by circumstance? According to Lessing, were there instances of justified violence or war?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)