|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
2. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
3. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
4. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
5. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
2. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
3. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
4. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
5. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
6. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
7. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
8. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
9. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
10. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During her young adult years, Lessing becomes affiliated with the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia - at the time, considered a very political party for a young British woman to join. Discuss Lessing's initial feelings regarding the Communist Party, as well as the changes that occurred to that opinion during the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. What was Lessing's political stance at the time of her autobiography? How does she comment on the ideals and implementation of Socialism or Communism? How would instituting a Communist government in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) have been different than instituting a Communist government in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
World Wars I and II played a significant role in Lessing's autobiography. Analyze the way in which she grappled with the Wars as historical events; and the repercussions that Europe and the rest of the world faced as a result of those conflicts. How did Lessing portray those effects in the autobiography? How did the Wars differ from other conflicts before them? What was Lessing's opinion regarding those Wars in particular; and the practice of war in general? What reasons did she give for her views on war?
Essay Topic 3
Born during the final days of the British Empire, Doris Lessing presents a unique take on the Empire and imperial policy. Discuss Lessing's developing views on the Empire. Explore themes such as the ethics of the Empire, the financial ramifications of the Empire, and the social changes that she discusses after the fall of the Empire. What does her overall message regarding British imperialism appear to be? Support your answers with evidence from the autobiography.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)