|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
2. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
3. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
4. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
5. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
2. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
3. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
4. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
5. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
6. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
7. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
8. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
9. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
10. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World Wars I and II played a significant role in Lessing's autobiography. Analyze the way in which she grappled with the Wars as historical events; and the repercussions that Europe and the rest of the world faced as a result of those conflicts. How did Lessing portray those effects in the autobiography? How did the Wars differ from other conflicts before them? What was Lessing's opinion regarding those Wars in particular; and the practice of war in general? What reasons did she give for her views on war?
Essay Topic 2
During her young adult years, Lessing becomes affiliated with the Communist Party of Southern Rhodesia - at the time, considered a very political party for a young British woman to join. Discuss Lessing's initial feelings regarding the Communist Party, as well as the changes that occurred to that opinion during the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. What was Lessing's political stance at the time of her autobiography? How does she comment on the ideals and implementation of Socialism or Communism? How would instituting a Communist government in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) have been different than instituting a Communist government in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, Lessing grew up in Persia and Southern Rhodesia - regions that were both part of the British Commonwealth. Examine the way in which Lessing discussed life as an English citizen living in the Commonwealth. What were the conditions of their lives as English citizens? How did the lives of the English differ from the lives of the indigenous peoples? How did Lessing treat those conditions and differences?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)