|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
2. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
3. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
4. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
5. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
2. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
3. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
4. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
5. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
6. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
7. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
8. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
9. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
10. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World Wars I and II played a significant role in Lessing's autobiography. Analyze the way in which she grappled with the Wars as historical events; and the repercussions that Europe and the rest of the world faced as a result of those conflicts. How did Lessing portray those effects in the autobiography? How did the Wars differ from other conflicts before them? What was Lessing's opinion regarding those Wars in particular; and the practice of war in general? What reasons did she give for her views on war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lessing's views on the role and consequences of violence. How did she define violence? What was her stance regarding violence on the personal or national level? Did her opinion remain consistent in all instances? Or did it vary by circumstance? According to Lessing, were there instances of justified violence or war?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, Lessing grew up in Persia and Southern Rhodesia - regions that were both part of the British Commonwealth. Examine the way in which Lessing discussed life as an English citizen living in the Commonwealth. What were the conditions of their lives as English citizens? How did the lives of the English differ from the lives of the indigenous peoples? How did Lessing treat those conditions and differences?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)