|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
2. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
3. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
4. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
5. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
2. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
3. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
4. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
5. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
6. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
7. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
8. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
9. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
10. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of education in Lessing's writings. How was Lessing educated? How did her education affect her views on class, politics, and gender? What was Lessing's opinion of education as an institution? How did she support her opinion of education throughout her autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lessing's views on the role and consequences of violence. How did she define violence? What was her stance regarding violence on the personal or national level? Did her opinion remain consistent in all instances? Or did it vary by circumstance? According to Lessing, were there instances of justified violence or war?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up in two distinct regions of the British Empire, Lessing received a very intimate portrait of race relations in the British territories before the dissolution of the Empire. Analyze the way in which Lessing approached race and race relations in her autobiography. How did she define the term, race, among the people living in Persia and Southern Rhodesia at that time? How did the different races interact in Southern Rhodesia? How did Lessing's understanding of race compare or contrast with the opinions of those around her?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)