|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
2. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
3. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
4. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
5. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
2. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
4. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
5. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
6. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
7. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
8. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
9. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
10. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, Lessing grew up in Persia and Southern Rhodesia - regions that were both part of the British Commonwealth. Examine the way in which Lessing discussed life as an English citizen living in the Commonwealth. What were the conditions of their lives as English citizens? How did the lives of the English differ from the lives of the indigenous peoples? How did Lessing treat those conditions and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up in two distinct regions of the British Empire, Lessing received a very intimate portrait of race relations in the British territories before the dissolution of the Empire. Analyze the way in which Lessing approached race and race relations in her autobiography. How did she define the term, race, among the people living in Persia and Southern Rhodesia at that time? How did the different races interact in Southern Rhodesia? How did Lessing's understanding of race compare or contrast with the opinions of those around her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of education in Lessing's writings. How was Lessing educated? How did her education affect her views on class, politics, and gender? What was Lessing's opinion of education as an institution? How did she support her opinion of education throughout her autobiography?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)