Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
2. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
3. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
5. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
2. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
3. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
4. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
5. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. Describe the circumstances of Gottfried Lessing's death.
8. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
9. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
10. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
Essay Topic 1
After her experiences of living in Persia and Southern Rhodesia, Lessing formulated an opinion on "The Native Problem" - the dilemma that the English settlers in various Commonwealth holdings experienced in interacting with the people whose lands they occupied. Discuss Lessing's position on "The Native Problem". How did Lessing feel about that particular issue? How did her opinion compare to the opinions of her contemporaries? What was the underlying reasoning for her beliefs? Was she justified in her opinion?
Essay Topic 2
In this section of the autobiography, Lessing detailed her progression to sexual awakening and maturity. Analyze Lessing's developing notions on sexuality in that section of her life story. How did she view sexuality? How did her views differ from the majority of those in her community? How did Lessing derive those notions of sexuality? Provide details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the way in which Lessing presented her relationship with her mother. Did she respect or resent her mother? What strained their relationship? Why did Lessing's mother disapprove of Lessing's choices? Ultimately, how did Lessing reflect on her relationship with her mother?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)