|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
2. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The sewing room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The garden.
(d) The laundry room.
3. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
(a) The RAF.
(b) The British Navy.
(c) The U.S. Army.
(d) The Nazis.
4. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
5. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
(a) She felt that it was a good war.
(b) She felt that it was a catastrophic mistake.
(c) She felt that it was a necessary war.
(d) She felt that it was an abomination.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
2. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
3. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
4. What did Dr. Rosen suggest to Lessing when she went in for surgery to repair her retroverted uterus?
5. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
2. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
3. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
5. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
6. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
7. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
8. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
9. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
10. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)