|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) Stalin's journals.
(c) Das Kapital.
(d) Darkness at Noon.
2. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(a) N.H. Wilson.
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Gottfried Lessing.
3. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her fountain pen.
(b) Her typewriter.
(c) Her short stories.
(d) Her collection of Everyman books.
4. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
5. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
(a) Because the clothing that would arrive for her was always too small.
(b) Lessing wanted to foil her mother's attempts to feed the family well.
(c) Lessing wanted to impress a farm assistant.
(d) Lessing's mother told her to try to lose weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
2. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
3. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
4. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
5. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)