|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As a pleasurable pursuit.
(b) As a privilege.
(c) As something to avoid.
(d) As a right.
2. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Aerial raids on villages.
(b) Vague meetings on military idealism.
(c) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(d) Long-distance weapons.
3. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The Left Book Club.
(b) The Yacht Club.
(c) The Sports Club.
(d) The local bar.
4. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(b) Birth control pills.
(c) The Dutch cap.
5. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
(a) Lessing's mother wanted to end her marriage to Frank.
(b) Lessing's mother wanted to warn her about having too many children too close together.
(c) Lessing's mother needed to inform her of her father's condition/
(d) Lessing's mother had heard rumors of an impending divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
2. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
3. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
4. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
5. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
2. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
3. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
4. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
5. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
6. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
7. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
8. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
9. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
10. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)