|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She applauded her independence.
(b) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
(c) She did not approve.
(d) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
2. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That they did not love each other.
(b) That they had married too soon.
(c) That their sex life was a failure.
(d) That they fought constantly.
3. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To learning to speak.
(b) To riding a bicycle.
(c) To learning to write the alphabet.
(d) To learning to walk.
4. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) The Forgotten Soldier.
(b) The Real Thing.
(c) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(d) Darkness at Noon.
5. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was an enemy alien.
(b) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(c) Because he was a married man.
(d) Because he was a career criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
2. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
3. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
4. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
5. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
2. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
3. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
4. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
5. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
6. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
7. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
9. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
10. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)