|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) The Cleft.
(b) Martha Quest.
(d) Going Home.
2. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
3. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
4. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
5. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her fountain pen.
(b) Her short stories.
(c) Her collection of Everyman books.
(d) Her typewriter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
2. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
3. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
4. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
5. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
2. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
3. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
4. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
5. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
8. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
9. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
10. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)