|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Cooking and cleaning.
(b) Sewing and darning.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) Speed typing and shorthand.
2. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her fountain pen.
(b) Her short stories.
(c) Her collection of Everyman books.
(d) Her typewriter.
3. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
4. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Jameson Hotel.
(b) Cambridge Woods.
(c) Leander House.
(d) Grand Meikles.
5. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(b) World War II.
(c) Cafes in Vienna.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
2. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
3. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
4. Who was the Minister of Finance?
5. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
2. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
3. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
4. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
5. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
6. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
7. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
8. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
9. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
10. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)