Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To avoid the noise of the city.
(b) To shop for specialty goods.
(c) To visit Lessing's dying father.
(d) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
2. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(b) The detente.
(c) The Atlantic Charter.
(d) The outbreak of WWII.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(b) Both lived in Persia as children.
(c) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(d) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
4. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
(a) To work for the telephone company.
(b) To work for the government.
(c) To work in a White family's house.
(d) To work for the Guardian.
5. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a career criminal.
(b) Because he was an enemy alien.
(c) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(d) Because he was a married man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the black population of Salisbury?
2. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
3. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
4. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
5. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)