|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That their sex life was a failure.
(b) That they did not love each other.
(c) That they fought constantly.
(d) That they had married too soon.
2. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The sewing room.
(c) The garden.
(d) The laundry room.
3. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
4. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
(a) To work for the telephone company.
(b) To work for the government.
(c) To work for the Guardian.
(d) To work in a White family's house.
5. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
2. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
3. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
4. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
5. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)