|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 15 months.
(b) 15 weeks.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 5 days.
2. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
3. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
4. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) Darkness at Noon.
(b) The Forgotten Soldier.
(c) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(d) The Real Thing.
5. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
2. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
3. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
4. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
5. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
2. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
3. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
4. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
5. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
6. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
7. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
8. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
9. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
10. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)