|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 17th year.
(b) Her 14th year.
(c) Her 12th year.
(d) Her 16th year.
2. What was the black population of Salisbury?
3. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(b) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(c) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(d) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
4. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her book collection.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her newfound ability to earn money.
(d) Her rebellion against her parents.
5. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 15 weeks.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
2. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
3. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
4. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
5. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
2. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
3. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
4. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
5. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
6. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
7. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
8. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
9. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
10. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)