|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
2. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(b) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) The White Slave Trade.
3. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Max Danziger.
(b) Gunther Maynard.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Arthur Koestler.
4. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
(b) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
(c) She applauded her independence.
(d) She did not approve.
5. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
2. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
3. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
4. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
5. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
2. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
3. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
4. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
5. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
6. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
7. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
8. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
9. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
10. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)