|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
(a) £12 a year.
(b) £12 a month.
(c) £12 a day.
(d) £12 a week.
2. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
3. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) Cafes in Vienna.
(c) World War II.
4. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
5. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
(a) A pacifier.
(b) A mobile.
(c) A teddy bear.
(d) A quilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
2. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
3. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
4. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
5. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
2. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
3. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
4. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
5. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
8. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
9. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
10. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)