|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
2. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(d) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
3. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A sexually permissive culture.
(b) A smoking culture.
(c) A drinking culture.
(d) A racially-integrated culture.
4. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
5. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a career criminal.
(b) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(c) Because he was a married man.
(d) Because he was an enemy alien.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
2. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
3. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
4. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
5. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
2. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
3. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
4. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
5. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
6. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
7. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
8. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
9. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
10. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)