|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Salisbury Brewery.
(b) Brewer's Pub.
(c) Capetown Brewery.
(d) Castle Brewery.
2. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
3. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a career criminal.
(b) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(c) Because he was a married man.
(d) Because he was an enemy alien.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(b) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(c) Both lived in Persia as children.
(d) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
5. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
2. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
3. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
4. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
5. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
2. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
3. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
4. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
5. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
6. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
7. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
8. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
9. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
10. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)