|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As something to avoid.
(b) As a privilege.
(c) As a right.
(d) As a pleasurable pursuit.
2. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
3. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(b) Because he was a married man.
(c) Because he was an enemy alien.
(d) Because he was a career criminal.
4. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(c) Old Umtali.
5. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
(a) Lessing would prepare evening meals.
(b) Lessing would visit Gottfried at the office.
(c) Lessing would drive out to see her father.
(d) Lessing would walk around with the baby in the pram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
2. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
3. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
4. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
5. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
2. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
3. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
4. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
5. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
6. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
7. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
8. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
9. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
10. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)