|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her book collection.
(b) Her rebellion against her parents.
(c) Her newfound ability to earn money.
(d) Her body.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(b) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(c) Both lived in Persia as children.
(d) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
3. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red hat.
(b) A red dress.
(c) A red shawl.
(d) A red evening bag.
4. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She took John for walks in the pram.
(b) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
(c) She read stories of animals to him.
(d) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
5. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
2. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
3. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
4. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
5. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 15, what reason did Lessing give for switching law firms?
3. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
4. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
5. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
6. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
7. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
8. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
9. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
10. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)