|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
2. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Fascist.
(b) A rebel.
(c) A Communist.
(d) A Democrat.
3. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
(b) Idi Amin.
(d) Pol Pot.
4. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red dress.
(b) A red shawl.
(c) A red evening bag.
(d) A red hat.
5. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) An elephant in the room.
(b) A nagging woman.
(c) A festering sore.
(d) An iceberg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
2. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
3. Who was the Minister of Finance?
4. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
5. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
2. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
3. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
4. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
5. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
6. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
7. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
8. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
9. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
10. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)