|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Castle Brewery.
(b) Salisbury Brewery.
(c) Brewer's Pub.
(d) Capetown Brewery.
2. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
3. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Democrat.
(b) A Fascist.
(c) A Communist.
(d) A rebel.
4. What was the black population of Salisbury?
5. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
2. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
3. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
4. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
5. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
2. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
3. Describe Lessing's relationship with Ivy.
4. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
5. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
6. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
7. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
8. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
9. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
10. In Chapter 19, what does Lessing describe as the smartest decision that she ever made?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)