|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Grey silk.
(b) Red velvet.
(c) Black velvet.
(d) Green satin.
2. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(b) Because he was an enemy alien.
(c) Because he was a married man.
(d) Because he was a career criminal.
3. Who did Lessing work for at this point in her life?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Danziger.
(c) Mr. Lamb.
(d) Mr. Wisdom.
4. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(b) Birth control pills.
(c) The Dutch cap.
5. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Dorothy Schwartz.
(d) Her brother, Harry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
2. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
3. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
4. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
5. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's reaction to the end of World War II.
2. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
3. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
4. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
5. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
6. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
7. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
8. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
9. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
10. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)