|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
2. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The Atlantic Charter.
(b) The outbreak of WWII.
(c) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(d) The detente.
3. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(b) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
(c) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
(d) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
4. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She took John for walks in the pram.
(b) She read stories of animals to him.
(c) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
(d) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
5. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(b) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(c) Listening to the BBC each day.
(d) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
2. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
3. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
4. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
5. What was the black population of Salisbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
2. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
3. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
4. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
5. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
6. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
7. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
8. When John was 9 months old, what did Lessing and Frank decide to do?
9. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
10. How did John react to the birth of his little sister?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)