|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
2. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
3. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Green satin.
(b) Red velvet.
(c) Black velvet.
(d) Grey silk.
4. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Salisbury Brewery.
(b) Capetown Brewery.
(c) Brewer's Pub.
(d) Castle Brewery.
5. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) The Forgotten Soldier.
(b) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(c) Darkness at Noon.
(d) The Real Thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
2. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
3. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
4. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
5. What was the black population of Salisbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
2. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
3. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
4. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
5. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
6. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
7. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
8. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
9. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
10. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)