|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
2. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To avoid the noise of the city.
(b) To shop for specialty goods.
(c) To visit Lessing's dying father.
(d) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
3. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
4. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her mother's support.
(b) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
(c) Her father's support.
(d) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
5. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
2. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
3. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
4. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
5. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rationale did Lessing give for her marriage to Gottfried Lessing in Chapter 14?
2. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
3. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
4. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
5. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
6. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
7. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
8. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
9. How did Lessing respond to increasing unhappiness with her marital and home situation?
10. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)