|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Royal Theater Company.
(b) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(c) The BBC.
(d) The Liverpool Theater Company.
2. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were lazy.
(b) That they were incompetent.
(c) That they were members of a different culture.
(d) That they were corrupt.
3. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 10,000.
(b) £ 1,000.
(c) £ 2,500.
(d) £ 100.
4. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The move to Africa.
(b) The beginning of war.
(c) The death of her cat.
(d) The first day of school.
5. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(b) Small Pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
2. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
3. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
4. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
5. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Gottfried Lessing's death.
2. In Chapter 13, how did Lessing rationalize her decision to leave Frank and their two children?
3. In Chapter 12, how does Lessing describe her first son, John?
4. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
5. What did Lessing believe to be the true cause of her father's death?
6. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
7. Describe the feeling that Lessing had before she left Frank.
8. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
9. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
10. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)