|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(b) The British National Bank.
(c) Land Bank.
(d) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
2. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
3. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) London, England.
(b) Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Glasgow, Scotland.
(d) Kermanshah, Persia.
4. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(b) Peaches and cream.
(d) Red jelly and cream.
5. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Biographies sell well.
(c) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(d) Biographies are based on fact.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
2. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
3. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
4. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
5. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
2. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
3. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
4. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
5. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
6. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
7. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
8. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
9. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
10. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)