|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were two-story.
(b) English huts had windows.
(c) English huts were much larger.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
2. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(a) The rage of a child.
(b) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
(d) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(b) A story about her frivolous ways.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
4. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 100.
(b) £ 2,500.
(c) £ 10,000.
(d) £ 1,000.
5. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(b) An Aristophanean comedy.
(c) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(d) An English tragedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
2. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
3. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
4. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
5. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
2. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
3. According to Lessing in Chapter 2, what is the role of truth in autobiographical writing?
4. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
5. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
6. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
7. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
8. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
9. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
10. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)