|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which book did Lessing often compare her childhood?
(a) The Little Princess.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) The Jungle Book.
2. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
3. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) The Talkies.
(b) Modernized womens' fashions.
(c) Social equality for women.
(d) Cigarette smoking.
4. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The bush.
(b) The natives.
(c) The trees.
(d) The wildcats.
5. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The BBC.
(b) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(c) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(d) The Royal Theater Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
2. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
3. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
5. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
2. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
3. What became of the three husbands who enlisted to fight Hitler?
4. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
5. Why did Lessing direct her focus on the Communist ideas that she was developing in this chapter instead of focusing on the events of her life?
6. According to Lessing in Chapter 2, what is the role of truth in autobiographical writing?
7. In Chapter 11, who was Dorothy Schwartz?
8. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
9. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
10. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)