|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Red jelly and cream.
(b) Peaches and cream.
2. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(b) Tristram Shandy.
(c) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
3. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
4. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
(c) Migraine headaches.
5. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
(a) Because her mother always insisted on making clothing that was too big.
(b) Because her mother had poor taste in clothing design.
(c) Because her mother was a poor seamstress.
(d) Because her mother always made her clothes look too youthful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
2. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
3. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
4. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
5. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
2. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
3. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
4. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
5. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
6. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
7. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
8. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
9. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
10. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)