|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Time Bites.
(b) In Going Home.
(c) In African Laughter.
(d) In Pursuit of the English.
2. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
3. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(c) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
4. To which book did Lessing often compare her childhood?
(a) The Little Princess.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Jungle Book.
5. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They had their teeth removed.
(b) They studied French.
(c) They drew up a legal will.
(d) They saved money scrupulously.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
2. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
3. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
4. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
5. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
2. Quoting a recent historian, to what major event does Lessing attribute current feelings of mistrust toward the government?
3. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
4. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
5. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
6. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
7. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
8. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
9. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
10. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)