|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) The Talkies.
(b) Cigarette smoking.
(c) Modernized womens' fashions.
(d) Social equality for women.
2. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
3. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(a) Copious emotional space.
(c) Free time.
(d) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(a) Bed rest.
(c) Hydration and exercise.
(d) Tonic and quinine.
5. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(a) Smith & Son's.
(d) Carron Dover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
2. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
3. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
5. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing support herself when she no longer lived with her parents?
2. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
3. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
4. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
5. What did Lessing realize when she was diagnosed with Low Fever and sent to the mountains to recover?
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. Describe the circumstances of Gottfried Lessing's death.
8. Describe Lessing's activities in Capetown in Chapter 17.
9. Describe Lessing's ultimate assessment of the impact of the Communist Party in Southern Rhodesian politics.
10. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)