|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A snake.
(b) A mischievous child.
(c) A mongoose.
(d) A cat.
2. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(b) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(c) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(d) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
3. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They studied French.
(b) They saved money scrupulously.
(c) They drew up a legal will.
(d) They had their teeth removed.
4. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
5. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) Media coverage.
(d) Political corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
2. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
3. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
4. What image from the photograph album does Lessing describe?
5. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Essay Questions
1. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
2. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
3. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
4. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
5. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
6. According to Lessing's memory, how did she learn to interact with people around her?
7. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
8. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
9. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
10. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)