|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(b) The BBC.
(c) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(d) The Royal Theater Company.
2. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) An amputated leg.
(b) A dishonorable discharge.
(c) A case of depression.
(d) A bad appendix.
3. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Reformation.
(c) The Crusades.
(d) The Holocaust.
4. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were made of straw.
(b) English huts were much larger.
(c) English huts had windows.
(d) African huts were two-story.
5. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 100.
(b) £ 1,000.
(c) £ 2,500.
(d) £ 10,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
2. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
5. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
2. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
3. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
4. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
5. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
6. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
7. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
8. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
9. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
10. How did Lessing become an atheist?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)