|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(b) Peaches and cream.
(d) Red jelly and cream.
2. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(b) Biographies are based on fact.
(c) Biographies sell well.
(d) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
3. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) Media coverage.
(b) World War II.
(c) Political corruption.
(d) World War I.
4. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
(a) Because her mother always insisted on making clothing that was too big.
(b) Because her mother was a poor seamstress.
(c) Because her mother always made her clothes look too youthful.
(d) Because her mother had poor taste in clothing design.
5. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(c) Roman Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
2. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
3. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
4. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
5. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advantage does Lessing that claim she has in writing her autobiography late in her life?
2. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
3. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
4. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
5. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
6. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
7. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
8. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
9. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
10. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)