|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
(a) Traditional Rhodesian food.
(b) English peasant food.
(c) French peasant food.
(d) German peasant food.
2. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
3. Where was John McVeagh born?
4. How did the author feel about her childhood?
(a) Lessing felt as though her childhood had been very sheltered.
(b) Lessing felt as though the entire world was changing while she was a child.
(c) Lessing felt as though there had been a grey cloud over her childhood.
(d) Lessing felt as though her parents had neglected her.
5. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
2. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
3. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
4. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
5. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
2. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
3. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
4. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
5. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
6. What advantage does Lessing that claim she has in writing her autobiography late in her life?
7. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
8. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
9. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
10. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)