|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Mrs. James.
(d) Mary Peach.
2. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
(c) Migraine headaches.
3. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(b) The Counter Reformation.
(c) The Inquisition.
4. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A mischievous child.
(b) A cat.
(c) A snake.
(d) A mongoose.
5. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(b) Copious emotional space.
(c) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
(d) Free time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
2. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
3. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
4. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
5. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
Short Essay Questions
1. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
2. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
3. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
4. Quoting a recent historian, to what major event does Lessing attribute current feelings of mistrust toward the government?
5. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
6. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
7. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
8. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
9. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
10. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)