|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was John McVeagh born?
2. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory must be recorded in books.
(c) Memory cannot be trusted.
(d) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
3. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(b) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(c) By staying up late.
(d) By stealing things and lying about them.
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(a) Winnie the Pooh.
5. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
3. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
4. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
5. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
2. What advantage does Lessing that claim she has in writing her autobiography late in her life?
3. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
4. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
5. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
6. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
7. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
8. How did Lessing become an atheist?
9. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
10. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)