|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
2. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) National Hospital of England.
3. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
(a) Her cat.
(b) A flower that she picked herself.
(c) A book.
(d) Her teddy bear.
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Reformation.
(b) The Crusades.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The Renaissance.
5. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
2. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
3. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
4. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
5. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
2. What advantage does Lessing that claim she has in writing her autobiography late in her life?
3. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
4. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
5. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
6. Quoting a recent historian, to what major event does Lessing attribute current feelings of mistrust toward the government?
7. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
8. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
9. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
10. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)