|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(b) Tristram Shandy.
(c) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
2. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(b) The BBC.
(c) The Royal Theater Company.
(d) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
3. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(d) Small Pox.
4. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(b) Roman Catholicism.
5. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A mongoose.
(b) A mischievous child.
(c) A cat.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
2. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
3. What does Lessing say about memory?
4. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
5. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
2. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
3. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
4. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
5. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
6. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
7. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
8. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
9. How did Lessing become an atheist?
10. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)