|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were members of a different culture.
(b) That they were lazy.
(c) That they were incompetent.
(d) That they were corrupt.
2. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
(a) English peasant food.
(b) Traditional Rhodesian food.
(c) German peasant food.
(d) French peasant food.
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
4. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
(a) Because her mother always insisted on making clothing that was too big.
(b) Because her mother was a poor seamstress.
(c) Because her mother always made her clothes look too youthful.
(d) Because her mother had poor taste in clothing design.
5. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) By shaving her head.
(b) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
(c) With paraffin.
(d) With expensive shampoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
2. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
3. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
4. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
5. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
2. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
3. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
4. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
5. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
6. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
7. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
8. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
9. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
10. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)