|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they could betray them at any time.
(b) That they should return to England.
(c) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(d) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
2. How did the author feel about her childhood?
(a) Lessing felt as though the entire world was changing while she was a child.
(b) Lessing felt as though there had been a grey cloud over her childhood.
(c) Lessing felt as though her childhood had been very sheltered.
(d) Lessing felt as though her parents had neglected her.
3. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory must be recorded in books.
(b) Memory is an astonishing record.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
4. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(b) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(c) An English tragedy.
(d) An Aristophanean comedy.
5. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(b) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(c) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(d) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
2. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
3. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
4. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
5. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
2. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
3. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
4. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
5. What advantage does Lessing that claim she has in writing her autobiography late in her life?
6. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
7. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
8. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
9. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
10. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)