|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's mother.
(c) Lessing's father.
(d) Mrs. Scott.
2. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(a) The rage of a child.
(b) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
(c) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
3. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) National Hospital of England.
(c) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(d) A small farm in Rhodesia.
4. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(b) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(c) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(d) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
5. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Empire.
(b) The War.
(c) The Native Problem.
(d) The Slump.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
2. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
3. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
4. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
5. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lessing's mini-vacation to Capetown.
2. In Chapter 18, what circumstances prevented Lessing from getting much writing done?
3. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
4. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
6. Describe the beginning of Lessing's relationship with Gottfried.
7. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
8. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
9. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
10. In Chapter 21, what arrangement did Gottfried and Lessing make upon deciding to move back to London?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)