|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
2. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
(a) In Persia.
(b) In Bloomsbury.
(c) In the East End.
(d) In Southern Rhodesia.
3. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(a) Tonic and quinine.
(b) Bed rest.
(c) Hydration and exercise.
5. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
2. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
3. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
4. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
5. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
2. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
3. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
4. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
5. How did Lessing become an atheist?
6. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
7. According to Lessing's memory, how did she learn to interact with people around her?
8. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
9. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
10. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)