|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
2. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were two-story.
(b) English huts were much larger.
(c) English huts had windows.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
3. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
4. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 54 years.
(b) 23 years.
(c) 103 years.
(d) 34 years.
5. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The move to Africa.
(b) The death of her cat.
(c) The beginning of war.
(d) The first day of school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
3. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
4. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
5. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
2. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
3. According to Lessing in Chapter 2, what is the role of truth in autobiographical writing?
4. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
5. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
6. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
7. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
8. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
9. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
10. In your opinion, why does Lessing trace her lineage in the opening chapter?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)