|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) By shaving her head.
(b) With paraffin.
(c) With expensive shampoo.
(d) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
2. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(b) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(c) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(d) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
3. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
4. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 1,000.
(b) £ 2,500.
(c) £ 100.
(d) £ 10,000.
5. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(a) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lessing say about memory?
2. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
3. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
4. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
5. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
2. Ultimately, why did Lessing think that she and Gottfried were mismatched?
3. Describe the letter Lessing received from her mother in Chapter 9.
4. What conditions did Lessing ponder as possible circumstances that would have changed her views on Communism?
5. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
6. In Chapter 21, what arrangement did Gottfried and Lessing make upon deciding to move back to London?
7. Describe Lessing's entrance into love and romance as she describes it in Chapter 10.
8. How did Lessing describe Kurt in Chapter 16?
9. Describe Lessing's father's medical condition in this chapter.
10. Describe Lessing's decision to marry Frank Wisdom.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)