|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
(a) That a lie was worse than being naughty.
(b) That lying would make their face stick in a horrible position.
(c) That being naughty was much worse than lying.
(d) That being naughty was more fun than behaving.
2. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
3. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(a) Winnie the Pooh.
4. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Singing and prancing.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Horses and dancing.
5. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A pair of ladies' riding pants.
(c) A lavish rose gown.
(d) A grey silk shift dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
2. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
4. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
5. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lessing's memory, how did she learn to interact with people around her?
2. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
3. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
4. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
5. How did Lessing become an atheist?
6. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
7. How did Lessing avoid dealing with her conflicts with her mother?
8. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
9. According to Lessing in Chapter 2, what is the role of truth in autobiographical writing?
10. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)