|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(a) Copious emotional space.
(b) Free time.
(d) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
2. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(a) Hydration and exercise.
(c) Tonic and quinine.
(d) Bed rest.
3. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(b) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(c) That they could betray them at any time.
(d) That they should return to England.
4. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were incompetent.
(b) That they were members of a different culture.
(c) That they were lazy.
(d) That they were corrupt.
5. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
2. How did the author feel about her childhood?
3. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
4. Where was Doris Lessing born?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lessing's outlook on the future of the world and human society.
2. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
3. Describe the circumstances that led to Alfred's depression.
4. What essential skill did Lessing learn in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
6. What sensation predominated Lessing's childhood?
7. In Chapter 7, what did Lessing and her brother do in the bush?
8. In Chapter 6, what was Lessing's mother's primary concern about the children?
9. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
10. In Chapter 4, what prompted the Tayler family to move to Africa?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)