|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) Media coverage.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) Political corruption.
2. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Cigarette smoking.
(b) Social equality for women.
(c) Modernized womens' fashions.
(d) The Talkies.
3. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Pursuit of the English.
(b) In Going Home.
(c) In African Laughter.
(d) In Time Bites.
4. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They studied French.
(b) They saved money scrupulously.
(c) They drew up a legal will.
(d) They had their teeth removed.
5. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(a) The Counter Reformation.
(d) The Inquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
2. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
3. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
4. What does Lessing say about memory?
5. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
Short Essay Questions
1. While their mother was bedridden, what did Lessing and her brother do?
2. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
3. Quoting a recent historian, to what major event does Lessing attribute current feelings of mistrust toward the government?
4. In Chapter 8, how did the girls at the school avoid exams?
5. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
6. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
7. What did Lessing do one night when she was forced to remain in the cabin while her parents attended a dance?
8. Why did Lessing's parents have all their teeth removed before leaving for Africa?
9. How did Lessing's mother explain the bout of illness that kept her confined to bed?
10. How did Lessing become an atheist?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)