|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(b) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
(c) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(d) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
2. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was middle-class.
(b) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(c) That the family was poor.
(d) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
3. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(d) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(a) Winnie the Pooh.
5. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
2. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
3. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
4. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
5. Who stated that children should play in mud?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lessing become an atheist?
2. According to Lessing in Chapter 2, what is the role of truth in autobiographical writing?
3. After tracing the history of her parents' lives, what does Lessing ponder?
4. From the details Lessing provides in Chapter 1, describe the circumstances which led to Maude's broken heart.
5. How does Lessing describe her childhood vulnerability?
6. Describe the English views of themselves and their relation to other people as Lessing portrays it in this chapter.
7. In Chapter 3, what type of child abuse does Lessing describe?
8. What did Lessing suspect was the root of her mother's illness?
9. How did Lessing's parents plan to acquire land in Southern Rhodesia?
10. Describe the conflict between Lessing's parents regarding the servants.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)