|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 17th year.
(b) Her 14th year.
(c) Her 12th year.
(d) Her 16th year.
2. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
(a) £12 a month.
(b) £12 a day.
(c) £12 a year.
(d) £12 a week.
3. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) White superiority.
(c) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(d) Pretensions about education.
4. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Gunther Maynard.
(b) Arthur Koestler.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Max Danziger.
5. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
6. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) Darkness at Noon.
(b) The Real Thing.
(c) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(d) The Forgotten Soldier.
7. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
8. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Grey silk.
(b) Green satin.
(c) Black velvet.
(d) Red velvet.
9. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
10. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
11. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
(b) She applauded her independence.
(c) She did not approve.
(d) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
12. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(c) South Africa.
13. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Margaret Morgan.
(d) Doris Lessing.
14. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(d) Old Umtali.
15. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A sexually permissive culture.
(b) A racially-integrated culture.
(c) A drinking culture.
(d) A smoking culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
2. Who did Lessing work for at this point in her life?
3. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
4. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
5. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)