|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Dorothy Schwartz.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Her brother, Harry.
(d) Her mother.
2. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
3. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) White superiority.
(b) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(d) Pretensions about education.
4. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
5. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(b) Birth control pills.
(c) The Dutch cap.
6. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
(a) The Centrist Party.
(b) The group of anarchists in Southern Rhodesia.
(c) The Labor Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
7. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
(b) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) The White Slave Trade.
8. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her book collection.
(c) Her rebellion against her parents.
(d) Her newfound ability to earn money.
9. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Green satin.
(b) Red velvet.
(c) Black velvet.
(d) Grey silk.
10. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(b) Mabel Griffiths.
(c) Frank's sister.
(d) Her mother.
11. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to the BBC each day.
(c) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(d) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
12. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) The Real Thing.
(b) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(c) Darkness at Noon.
(d) The Forgotten Soldier.
13. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That they had married too soon.
(b) That they did not love each other.
(c) That they fought constantly.
(d) That their sex life was a failure.
14. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Communist.
(b) A Fascist.
(c) A rebel.
(d) A Democrat.
15. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
2. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
3. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
4. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
5. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)