|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) Going Home.
(c) Martha Quest.
(d) The Cleft.
2. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a married man.
(b) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(c) Because he was a career criminal.
(d) Because he was an enemy alien.
3. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
4. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 16th year.
(b) Her 12th year.
(c) Her 14th year.
(d) Her 17th year.
5. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
(b) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
(c) She read stories of animals to him.
(d) She took John for walks in the pram.
6. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(b) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
7. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) Pretensions about education.
(b) White superiority.
(c) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
8. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
9. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
10. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
11. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Reading and writing.
(b) Speed typing and shorthand.
(c) Cooking and cleaning.
(d) Sewing and darning.
12. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
13. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(a) Nursing John.
(b) Walking John in the pram.
(c) Tea parties.
14. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
(d) Toilet training.
15. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Minister of Finance?
2. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
3. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
4. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
5. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)