|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) A former Nazi.
(b) A committed Communist.
(c) An RAF member.
(d) A philandering artist.
2. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Communist.
(b) A Fascist.
(c) A Democrat.
(d) A rebel.
3. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
4. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 12th year.
(b) Her 14th year.
(c) Her 16th year.
(d) Her 17th year.
5. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
(a) Frank Wisdom.
(b) Simon Pines.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Dorothy Schwartz.
6. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 3 a.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
(c) 5 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
7. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
(a) The group of anarchists in Southern Rhodesia.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Centrist Party.
(d) The Labor Party.
8. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
9. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
(a) Toilet training.
10. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
11. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
12. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(b) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
13. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
14. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(c) South Africa.
15. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
2. What was the black population of Salisbury?
3. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
4. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
5. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)