|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
(a) Simon Pines.
(b) Dorothy Schwartz.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Her mother.
2. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
3. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
4. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
5. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to the BBC each day.
(c) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(d) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
6. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Cambridge Woods.
(b) Leander House.
(c) Jameson Hotel.
(d) Grand Meikles.
7. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(d) Because they were afraid of being deported.
8. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red evening bag.
(b) A red dress.
(c) A red hat.
(d) A red shawl.
9. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
(a) She felt that it was a good war.
(b) She felt that it was an abomination.
(c) She felt that it was a necessary war.
(d) She felt that it was a catastrophic mistake.
10. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
(c) Toilet training.
11. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(b) South Africa.
12. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(a) Nursing John.
(c) Walking John in the pram.
(d) Tea parties.
13. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
14. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
15. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
2. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
3. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
4. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
5. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)