|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
2. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
3. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Castle Brewery.
(b) Salisbury Brewery.
(c) Brewer's Pub.
(d) Capetown Brewery.
4. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(a) Tea parties.
(c) Walking John in the pram.
(d) Nursing John.
5. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
(a) The RAF.
(b) The British Navy.
(c) The Nazis.
(d) The U.S. Army.
6. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
7. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) An RAF member.
(b) A former Nazi.
(c) A committed Communist.
(d) A philandering artist.
8. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
9. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The local bar.
(b) The Sports Club.
(c) The Left Book Club.
(d) The Yacht Club.
10. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
(a) The group of anarchists in Southern Rhodesia.
(b) The Centrist Party.
(c) The Labor Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
11. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(b) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(c) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(d) Because they were afraid of being deported.
12. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That they fought constantly.
(b) That they had married too soon.
(c) That they did not love each other.
(d) That their sex life was a failure.
13. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
14. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
15. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To riding a bicycle.
(b) To learning to walk.
(c) To learning to speak.
(d) To learning to write the alphabet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the black population of Salisbury?
2. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
3. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
4. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
5. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)