|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Frank's sister.
(b) Mabel Griffiths.
(d) Her mother.
2. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The Yacht Club.
(b) The Sports Club.
(c) The Left Book Club.
(d) The local bar.
3. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) A philandering artist.
(b) A former Nazi.
(c) A committed Communist.
(d) An RAF member.
4. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
5. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
(a) Lessing entertained wild fantasies.
(b) Lessing pined for simpler days.
(c) Lessing wrote poems in her mind.
(d) Lessing planned her escape from domestic life.
6. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(a) Walking John in the pram.
(b) Tea parties.
(d) Nursing John.
7. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
8. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(b) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(c) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(d) Listening to the BBC each day.
9. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
10. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
11. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(d) South Africa.
12. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) Before the outbreak of World War II.
(b) Immediately following the outbreak of war.
(c) After Kristallnacht.
(d) At the end of World War II.
13. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
14. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
15. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To learning to speak.
(b) To learning to walk.
(c) To learning to write the alphabet.
(d) To riding a bicycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
2. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
3. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
4. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
5. Who was the Minister of Finance?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)