|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(c) Old Umtali.
2. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To shop for specialty goods.
(b) To avoid the noise of the city.
(c) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
(d) To visit Lessing's dying father.
3. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Castle Brewery.
(b) Salisbury Brewery.
(c) Brewer's Pub.
(d) Capetown Brewery.
4. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red evening bag.
(b) A red shawl.
(c) A red dress.
(d) A red hat.
5. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A Fascist.
(d) A Democrat.
6. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both lived in Persia as children.
(b) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
(c) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(d) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
7. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As something to avoid.
(b) As a privilege.
(c) As a pleasurable pursuit.
(d) As a right.
8. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A teddy bear.
(c) A pacifier.
(d) A mobile.
9. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Gottfried Lessing.
(d) N.H. Wilson.
10. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
11. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(b) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(c) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
(d) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
12. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Frank Wisdom.
(b) Arthur Koestler.
(c) Gunther Maynard.
(d) Max Danziger.
13. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She read stories of animals to him.
(b) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
(c) She took John for walks in the pram.
(d) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
14. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A nagging woman.
(b) An elephant in the room.
(c) An iceberg.
(d) A festering sore.
15. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) An RAF member.
(b) A committed Communist.
(c) A philandering artist.
(d) A former Nazi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
2. What did Dr. Rosen suggest to Lessing when she went in for surgery to repair her retroverted uterus?
3. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
4. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
5. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)