|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(b) White superiority.
(c) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(d) Pretensions about education.
2. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
(b) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(c) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(d) The White Slave Trade.
3. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) The Cleft.
(b) Going Home.
(d) Martha Quest.
4. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(b) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
(c) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(d) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
5. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
(b) Pol Pot.
(d) Idi Amin.
6. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 6 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
7. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
(a) When John was 4 years old.
(b) When John was 9 months old.
(c) When John was 2 years old.
(d) When John was 9 years old.
8. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
(a) Lessing's mother wanted to end her marriage to Frank.
(b) Lessing's mother needed to inform her of her father's condition/
(c) Lessing's mother had heard rumors of an impending divorce.
(d) Lessing's mother wanted to warn her about having too many children too close together.
9. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
(a) Lessing planned her escape from domestic life.
(b) Lessing entertained wild fantasies.
(c) Lessing pined for simpler days.
(d) Lessing wrote poems in her mind.
10. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The detente.
(b) The Atlantic Charter.
(c) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(d) The outbreak of WWII.
11. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
12. What was the black population of Salisbury?
13. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(b) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(c) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
(d) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
14. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) An iceberg.
(b) An elephant in the room.
(c) A festering sore.
(d) A nagging woman.
15. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(b) The Forgotten Soldier.
(c) Darkness at Noon.
(d) The Real Thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
2. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
3. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
4. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
5. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)