|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(b) Long-distance weapons.
(c) Vague meetings on military idealism.
(d) Aerial raids on villages.
2. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 15 weeks.
3. Who did Lessing work for at this point in her life?
(a) Mr. Danziger.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Wisdom.
(d) Mr. Lamb.
4. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(b) The Forgotten Soldier.
(c) Darkness at Noon.
(d) The Real Thing.
5. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
6. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That their sex life was a failure.
(b) That they did not love each other.
(c) That they had married too soon.
(d) That they fought constantly.
7. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(a) Birth control pills.
(b) The Dutch cap.
8. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
9. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
10. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To avoid the noise of the city.
(b) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
(c) To shop for specialty goods.
(d) To visit Lessing's dying father.
11. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
(a) Dorothy Schwartz.
(b) Simon Pines.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Frank Wisdom.
12. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
(a) Margaret Morgan.
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Doris Lessing.
13. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
(b) Her mother's support.
(c) Her father's support.
(d) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
14. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
(a) Toilet training.
15. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(c) Listening to the BBC each day.
(d) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
2. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
3. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
4. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
5. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)