|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As a privilege.
(b) As something to avoid.
(c) As a right.
(d) As a pleasurable pursuit.
2. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
3. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
4. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) World War II.
(b) Cafes in Vienna.
5. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She read stories of animals to him.
(b) She took John for walks in the pram.
(c) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
(d) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
6. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
7. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
8. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A nagging woman.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) An elephant in the room.
(d) A festering sore.
9. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
(b) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) The White Slave Trade.
10. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(a) N.H. Wilson.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Gottfried Lessing.
11. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(b) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(c) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
(d) Both lived in Persia as children.
12. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(d) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
13. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Frank Wisdom.
(b) Arthur Koestler.
(c) Gunther Maynard.
(d) Max Danziger.
14. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red shawl.
(b) A red evening bag.
(c) A red dress.
(d) A red hat.
15. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Green satin.
(b) Black velvet.
(c) Grey silk.
(d) Red velvet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
2. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
3. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
4. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
5. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)