|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Frank's sister.
(d) Mabel Griffiths.
2. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(a) Tea parties.
(b) Walking John in the pram.
(c) Nursing John.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(b) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
(c) Both lived in Persia as children.
(d) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
4. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
5. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Grand Meikles.
(b) Jameson Hotel.
(c) Leander House.
(d) Cambridge Woods.
6. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(b) Birth control pills.
(d) The Dutch cap.
7. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
8. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Her brother, Harry.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Dorothy Schwartz.
(d) Gottfried Lessing.
9. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
(a) When John was 9 years old.
(b) When John was 4 years old.
(c) When John was 9 months old.
(d) When John was 2 years old.
10. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her rebellion against her parents.
(b) Her book collection.
(c) Her newfound ability to earn money.
(d) Her body.
11. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
(b) Her mother's support.
(c) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
(d) Her father's support.
12. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
13. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That their sex life was a failure.
(b) That they fought constantly.
(c) That they did not love each other.
(d) That they had married too soon.
14. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Cooking and cleaning.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Sewing and darning.
(d) Speed typing and shorthand.
15. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
(a) Lessing would walk around with the baby in the pram.
(b) Lessing would prepare evening meals.
(c) Lessing would visit Gottfried at the office.
(d) Lessing would drive out to see her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
2. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
3. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
4. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
5. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)