|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
(b) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
2. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they were afraid of being deported.
3. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Sewing and darning.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Speed typing and shorthand.
(d) Cooking and cleaning.
4. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) A philandering artist.
(b) A committed Communist.
(c) A former Nazi.
(d) An RAF member.
5. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Black velvet.
(b) Red velvet.
(c) Grey silk.
(d) Green satin.
6. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
(a) A mobile.
(b) A pacifier.
(c) A quilt.
(d) A teddy bear.
7. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
8. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
9. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) Darkness at Noon.
(b) All Quiet on the Western Front.
(c) The Real Thing.
(d) The Forgotten Soldier.
10. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 15 weeks.
(d) 15 months.
11. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A nagging woman.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) A festering sore.
(d) An elephant in the room.
12. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
13. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
14. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(c) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
15. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(b) Old Umtali.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
2. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
3. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
4. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
5. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)