|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(b) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
(c) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(d) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
2. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
3. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
4. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Mabel Griffiths.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Frank's sister.
5. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That they fought constantly.
(b) That they had married too soon.
(c) That their sex life was a failure.
(d) That they did not love each other.
6. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
7. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Dorothy Schwartz.
(d) Simon Pines.
8. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
9. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) Immediately following the outbreak of war.
(b) After Kristallnacht.
(c) Before the outbreak of World War II.
(d) At the end of World War II.
10. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Fascist.
(b) A rebel.
(c) A Democrat.
(d) A Communist.
11. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The garden.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The laundry room.
12. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
(d) Toilet training.
13. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
(a) When John was 9 years old.
(b) When John was 9 months old.
(c) When John was 2 years old.
(d) When John was 4 years old.
14. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
(a) £12 a day.
(b) £12 a year.
(c) £12 a month.
(d) £12 a week.
15. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(b) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
2. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
3. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
4. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
5. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)