Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(c) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(d) Listening to the BBC each day.
2. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To riding a bicycle.
(b) To learning to speak.
(c) To learning to walk.
(d) To learning to write the alphabet.
3. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(b) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
(c) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(d) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
4. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Frank Wisdom.
(b) Max Danziger.
(c) Arthur Koestler.
(d) Gunther Maynard.
5. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
6. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The sewing room.
(b) The garden.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The laundry room.
7. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Gottfried Lessing.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother, Harry.
(d) Dorothy Schwartz.
8. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
9. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
10. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
11. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A festering sore.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) An elephant in the room.
(d) A nagging woman.
12. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Frank's sister.
(d) Mabel Griffiths.
13. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
14. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
15. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red shawl.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A red evening bag.
(d) A red dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
3. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
4. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
5. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)