|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(b) The White Slave Trade.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
2. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Aerial raids on villages.
(b) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(c) Long-distance weapons.
(d) Vague meetings on military idealism.
3. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The Sports Club.
(b) The Left Book Club.
(c) The local bar.
(d) The Yacht Club.
4. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Jameson Hotel.
(b) Grand Meikles.
(c) Leander House.
(d) Cambridge Woods.
5. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The garden.
(b) The laundry room.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The kitchen.
6. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
7. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Max Danziger.
(b) Arthur Koestler.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Gunther Maynard.
8. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) White superiority.
(c) Pretensions about education.
(d) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
9. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(b) Old Umtali.
10. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
11. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 6 a.m.
(d) 3 a.m.
12. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Dorothy Schwartz.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother, Harry.
13. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
14. What was the black population of Salisbury?
15. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A teddy bear.
(c) A mobile.
(d) A pacifier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
2. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
3. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
4. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
5. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)