|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As a privilege.
(b) As a pleasurable pursuit.
(c) As something to avoid.
(d) As a right.
2. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
3. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 weeks.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 5 years.
4. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(a) N.H. Wilson.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
5. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(b) The detente.
(c) The outbreak of WWII.
(d) The Atlantic Charter.
6. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her book collection.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her rebellion against her parents.
(d) Her newfound ability to earn money.
7. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 3 a.m.
(c) 7 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
8. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(c) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(d) Listening to the BBC each day.
9. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
(b) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(c) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(d) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
10. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) Martha Quest.
(b) The Cleft.
(d) Going Home.
11. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
12. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Long-distance weapons.
(b) Aerial raids on villages.
(c) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(d) Vague meetings on military idealism.
13. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Cooking and cleaning.
(b) Sewing and darning.
(c) Speed typing and shorthand.
(d) Reading and writing.
14. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) At the end of World War II.
(b) Before the outbreak of World War II.
(c) Immediately following the outbreak of war.
(d) After Kristallnacht.
15. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The garden.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The laundry room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
2. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
3. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
4. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
5. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)