|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
(a) To work for the government.
(b) To work in a White family's house.
(c) To work for the telephone company.
(d) To work for the Guardian.
2. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
3. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
(b) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(c) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(d) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
4. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(b) Long-distance weapons.
(c) Vague meetings on military idealism.
(d) Aerial raids on villages.
5. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a career criminal.
(b) Because he was an enemy alien.
(c) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(d) Because he was a married man.
6. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) Cafes in Vienna.
(d) World War II.
7. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
8. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red shawl.
(b) A red evening bag.
(c) A red dress.
(d) A red hat.
9. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
10. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(b) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
11. What did Dr. Rosen suggest to Lessing when she went in for surgery to repair her retroverted uterus?
(b) Birth control pills.
(c) Fertility testing.
12. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
(b) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
(c) Her mother's support.
(d) Her father's support.
13. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Her brother, Harry.
(d) Dorothy Schwartz.
14. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The sewing room.
(b) The laundry room.
(c) The garden.
(d) The kitchen.
15. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
2. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
3. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
4. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
5. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)