|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A nagging woman.
(b) A festering sore.
(c) An elephant in the room.
(d) An iceberg.
2. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Mabel Griffiths.
(c) Frank's sister.
3. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
4. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
(a) Lessing's mother wanted to end her marriage to Frank.
(b) Lessing's mother needed to inform her of her father's condition/
(c) Lessing's mother wanted to warn her about having too many children too close together.
(d) Lessing's mother had heard rumors of an impending divorce.
5. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To visit Lessing's dying father.
(b) To avoid the noise of the city.
(c) To shop for specialty goods.
(d) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
6. What was the black population of Salisbury?
7. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
8. How does Lessing describe Frank Cooper's views on the world?
9. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
10. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Salisbury Brewery.
(b) Castle Brewery.
(c) Capetown Brewery.
(d) Brewer's Pub.
11. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
(b) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
12. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(b) Tea parties.
(c) Walking John in the pram.
(d) Nursing John.
13. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
14. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
(b) Margaret Morgan.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) Doris Lessing.
15. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 3 a.m.
(c) 7 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
2. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
3. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
4. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
5. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)