|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(b) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(c) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
(d) Both lived in Persia as children.
3. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
(b) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
(d) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
4. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
5. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
6. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her rebellion against her parents.
(c) Her book collection.
(d) Her newfound ability to earn money.
7. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(d) Old Umtali.
8. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The Left Book Club.
(b) The Sports Club.
(c) The local bar.
(d) The Yacht Club.
9. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
(b) She did not approve.
(c) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
(d) She applauded her independence.
10. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the BBC each day.
(b) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(c) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(d) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
11. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(b) Birth control pills.
(d) The Dutch cap.
12. Which activity did Lessing both love and hate?
(b) Walking John in the pram.
(c) Tea parties.
(d) Nursing John.
13. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(c) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(d) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
14. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(c) Pretensions about education.
(d) White superiority.
15. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(b) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
2. Who was the Minister of Finance?
3. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
4. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
5. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)