|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lessing and Frank decide to have another child?
(a) When John was 2 years old.
(b) When John was 9 months old.
(c) When John was 4 years old.
(d) When John was 9 years old.
2. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
(a) Pol Pot.
(b) Idi Amin.
3. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
(a) A Fascist.
(b) A Democrat.
(c) A Communist.
(d) A rebel.
4. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) White superiority.
(b) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(d) Pretensions about education.
5. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A racially-integrated culture.
(b) A drinking culture.
(c) A sexually permissive culture.
(d) A smoking culture.
6. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(b) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(c) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
(d) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
7. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
8. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
9. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(c) Old Umtali.
10. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The Sports Club.
(b) The Yacht Club.
(c) The Left Book Club.
(d) The local bar.
11. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
12. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) Cafes in Vienna.
(b) World War II.
13. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
14. What was the black population of Salisbury?
15. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She did not approve.
(b) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
(c) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
(d) She applauded her independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
2. Who was the Minister of Finance?
3. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
4. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
5. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)