|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
(b) Her mother's support.
(c) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
(d) Her father's support.
2. In Chapter 18, which of the following is NOT one of the dictators whom Lessing lists?
(a) Idi Amin.
(b) Pol Pot.
3. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
(a) A mobile.
(b) A quilt.
(c) A teddy bear.
(d) A pacifier.
4. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(b) Frank's sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mabel Griffiths.
5. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red evening bag.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A red dress.
(d) A red shawl.
6. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(b) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
(c) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(d) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
7. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(c) Old Umtali.
8. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Leander House.
(b) Grand Meikles.
(c) Jameson Hotel.
(d) Cambridge Woods.
9. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
(a) The U.S. Army.
(b) The RAF.
(c) The British Navy.
(d) The Nazis.
10. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 14th year.
(b) Her 17th year.
(c) Her 12th year.
(d) Her 16th year.
11. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To riding a bicycle.
(b) To learning to write the alphabet.
(c) To learning to speak.
(d) To learning to walk.
12. Who did Lessing work for at this point in her life?
(a) Mr. Danziger.
(b) Mr. Wisdom.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Lamb.
13. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
14. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
(b) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
(c) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(d) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
15. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
(a) Long-distance weapons.
(b) Vague meetings on military idealism.
(c) Derogatory epithets and dehumanizing language.
(d) Aerial raids on villages.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
2. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
3. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
4. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
5. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)