|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Kurt and Esther refuse to attend meetings?
(a) Because they were afraid of being deported.
(b) Because they had learned not to speak out politically.
(c) Because they felt that the meetings were childish.
(d) Because they could not find a party meeting that appealed to them to attend.
2. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
(a) A red hat.
(b) A red dress.
(c) A red shawl.
(d) A red evening bag.
3. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
4. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
5. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(b) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
(c) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(d) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
6. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(b) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(c) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
(d) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
7. What did Lessing do most afternoons with the new baby?
(a) Lessing would walk around with the baby in the pram.
(b) Lessing would visit Gottfried at the office.
(c) Lessing would prepare evening meals.
(d) Lessing would drive out to see her father.
8. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
9. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(b) Listening to the BBC each day.
(c) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(d) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
10. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Cooking and cleaning.
(b) Speed typing and shorthand.
(c) Sewing and darning.
(d) Reading and writing.
11. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She took John for walks in the pram.
(b) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
(c) She read stories of animals to him.
(d) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
12. What was the black population of Salisbury?
13. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The laundry room.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The garden.
14. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
(a) To work for the government.
(b) To work for the telephone company.
(c) To work in a White family's house.
(d) To work for the Guardian.
15. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(b) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
(c) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(d) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
2. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
3. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
4. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
5. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)