|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was an enemy alien.
(b) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(c) Because he was a career criminal.
(d) Because he was a married man.
2. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
3. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Leander House.
(b) Cambridge Woods.
(c) Grand Meikles.
(d) Jameson Hotel.
4. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(b) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
(c) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
(d) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
5. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A racially-integrated culture.
(b) A drinking culture.
(c) A sexually permissive culture.
(d) A smoking culture.
6. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
(a) Lessing did not want to accompany her parents.
(b) Lessing's brother, Harry needed to be watched.
(c) Lessing had fought with her mother earlier that day.
(d) There was an incubator of eggs that were waiting to hatch.
7. How did Lessing feel about World War II at that time?
(a) She felt that it was a catastrophic mistake.
(b) She felt that it was a good war.
(c) She felt that it was a necessary war.
(d) She felt that it was an abomination.
8. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
(a) The Nazis.
(b) The British Navy.
(c) The RAF.
(d) The U.S. Army.
9. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) Pretensions about education.
(b) White superiority.
(d) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
10. Why did Lessing's mother rush from the farm to her home?
(a) Lessing's mother needed to inform her of her father's condition/
(b) Lessing's mother wanted to warn her about having too many children too close together.
(c) Lessing's mother had heard rumors of an impending divorce.
(d) Lessing's mother wanted to end her marriage to Frank.
11. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(a) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Frank Wisdom.
(d) N.H. Wilson.
12. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(b) Both lived in Persia as children.
(c) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(d) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
13. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her short stories.
(b) Her collection of Everyman books.
(c) Her fountain pen.
(d) Her typewriter.
14. What was the black population of Salisbury?
15. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
2. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
3. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
4. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
5. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)