|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
(a) The British Navy.
(b) The U.S. Army.
(c) The Nazis.
(d) The RAF.
2. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
(a) Because the clothing that would arrive for her was always too small.
(b) Lessing wanted to impress a farm assistant.
(c) Lessing's mother told her to try to lose weight.
(d) Lessing wanted to foil her mother's attempts to feed the family well.
3. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
(a) Stalin's journals.
(b) Darkness at Noon.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Das Kapital.
4. At which establishment was Frank known as "one of the boys"?
(a) The local bar.
(b) The Left Book Club.
(c) The Yacht Club.
(d) The Sports Club.
5. How did the daughters of the mothers of the1960's view sex?
(a) As something to avoid.
(b) As a privilege.
(c) As a pleasurable pursuit.
(d) As a right.
6. Which of the following was NOT a language commonly spoken in the Lessing home?
7. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
(a) Red velvet.
(b) Grey silk.
(c) Green satin.
(d) Black velvet.
8. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(b) Going Home.
(c) Martha Quest.
(d) The Cleft.
9. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
10. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
11. What was the black population of Salisbury?
12. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(b) The White Slave Trade.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
13. In Chapter 13, who did Lessing encounter in the street?
(a) Her brother, Harry.
(b) Gottfried Lessing.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Dorothy Schwartz.
14. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(a) White superiority.
(b) Pretensions about education.
(d) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
15. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(b) The Atlantic Charter.
(c) The detente.
(d) The outbreak of WWII.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
2. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
3. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
4. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
5. In Chapter 15, whom did Lessing find drinking wine with Gottfried?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)