Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
(a) To avoid the noise of the city.
(b) To shop for specialty goods.
(c) To visit Lessing's dying father.
(d) To stay in the suburbs with friends.
2. What historical event happened just before the birth of Lessing's daughter?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(b) The detente.
(c) The Atlantic Charter.
(d) The outbreak of WWII.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(b) Both lived in Persia as children.
(c) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
(d) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
4. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
(a) To work for the telephone company.
(b) To work for the government.
(c) To work in a White family's house.
(d) To work for the Guardian.
5. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
(a) Because he was a career criminal.
(b) Because he was an enemy alien.
(c) Because he was a high-ranking official.
(d) Because he was a married man.
6. What was the black population of Salisbury?
7. How old was Jean in the scene that Lessing describes in this chapter?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 weeks.
(d) 15 months.
8. What book does Lessing cite in her discussion of the Russian front?
(a) The Real Thing.
(b) Darkness at Noon.
(c) The Forgotten Soldier.
(d) All Quiet on the Western Front.
9. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
(a) That their sex life was a failure.
(b) That they fought constantly.
(c) That they had married too soon.
(d) That they did not love each other.
10. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) Martha Quest.
(b) Going Home.
(d) The Cleft.
11. Who did Lessing work for at this point in her life?
(a) Mr. Danziger.
(b) Mr. Wisdom.
(c) Mr. Lamb.
(d) Mr. Smith.
12. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
(a) Darkness at Noon.
(b) Das Kapital.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Stalin's journals.
13. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
14. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(b) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
(c) Listening to the BBC each day.
(d) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
15. Where did Lessing and Gottfried go with friends?
(d) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
2. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
3. What was waiting for Lessing's last son in his crib before he was born?
4. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
5. Where did Frank and Lessing go on their honeymoon?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)