|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
2. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
3. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(c) Birth control pills.
(d) The Dutch cap.
4. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
5. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) World War II.
(d) Cafes in Vienna.
6. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
7. Who is the hero of Fathers and Sons, the book Lessing cites in this chapter?
8. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
(a) Lessing transcribed notes for a local newspaper.
(b) Lessing worked as an au pair for the Smith family.
(c) Lessing worked at the Telephone Exchange.
(d) Lessing worked part-time at several lawyers' firms.
9. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her typewriter.
(b) Her collection of Everyman books.
(c) Her short stories.
(d) Her fountain pen.
10. To which of the following areas did Lessing travel?
11. In Chapter 12, what did Lessing do to calm down John?
(a) She took John for walks in the pram.
(b) She read stories of animals to him.
(c) She sang nursery rhymes to him.
(d) She laid him on his back on the carpet.
12. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 12th year.
(b) Her 14th year.
(c) Her 16th year.
(d) Her 17th year.
13. To what does Lessing compare guilt?
(a) A festering sore.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) A nagging woman.
(d) An elephant in the room.
14. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
(d) Old Umtali.
15. What was the black population of Salisbury?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
2. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
3. Why would Gottfried and Lessing often drive into the suburbs?
4. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
5. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)