|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sonny Jameson borrow from Lessing?
(a) Her typewriter.
(b) Her fountain pen.
(c) Her collection of Everyman books.
(d) Her short stories.
2. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her book collection.
(c) Her newfound ability to earn money.
(d) Her rebellion against her parents.
3. What does Lessing mention as the one thing that would have stopped her from marrying Frank?
(a) Her mother's opposition to the marriage.
(b) Her father's admonition against making that mistake.
(c) Her mother's support.
(d) Her father's support.
4. In Chapter 17, how did Klaus' father keep his name off the debt list?
(a) Klaus' father married the sister of a prominent Nazi.
(b) Klaus' father performed an abortion for a Nazi official.
(c) Klaus' father paid off a Nazi.
(d) Klaus' father blackmailed a Nazi official.
5. Where did Kurt claim his real education occurred?
(a) Cafes in Vienna.
(d) World War II.
6. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
(a) Frank's sister.
(c) Mabel Griffiths.
(d) Her mother.
7. In Chapter 19, what was the white population of Salisbury?
8. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
9. How many eggs did Lessing attend to on the farm?
10. What was the black population of Salisbury?
11. With whom did Lessing talk at the Meikles Hotel Lounge?
(a) A philandering artist.
(b) A committed Communist.
(c) An RAF member.
(d) A former Nazi.
12. What method of birth control had Lessing been using?
(c) Birth control pills.
(d) The Dutch cap.
13. What affliction struck all members of Lessing's family except her?
14. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To learning to speak.
(b) To learning to write the alphabet.
(c) To learning to walk.
(d) To riding a bicycle.
15. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) The Cleft.
(b) Martha Quest.
(c) Going Home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
2. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
3. What was the highest ambition of Black workers in Salisbury?
4. According to Lessing, what tactic did the armies use to make killing easier?
5. In Chapter 10, which of the following countries was Lessing thinking about as she stood at the edge of the tobacco field?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)