|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. James.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell.
(c) Mrs. Scott.
(d) Mary Peach.
2. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
(b) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Land Bank.
(d) The British National Bank.
3. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
4. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Kermanshah, Persia.
(b) Glasgow, Scotland.
(c) London, England.
(d) Southern Rhodesia.
5. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
6. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Singing and prancing.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Horses and dancing.
7. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(b) By stealing things and lying about them.
(c) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(d) By staying up late.
8. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
9. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were members of a different culture.
(b) That they were lazy.
(c) That they were corrupt.
(d) That they were incompetent.
10. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(b) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(c) An English tragedy.
(d) An Aristophanean comedy.
11. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
(b) With expensive shampoo.
(c) With paraffin.
(d) By shaving her head.
12. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(a) Smith & Son's.
(d) Carron Dover.
13. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) Her father returning from war.
(b) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
(d) An image of the great house in Persia.
14. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
15. What image from the photograph album does Lessing describe?
(a) A visit to her father's workplace.
(b) Her first day in the Persian house.
(c) A trip to the market.
(d) A visit to a swimming bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which book did Lessing often compare her childhood?
2. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
3. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
5. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)