|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Native Problem.
(b) The Slump.
(c) The Empire.
(d) The War.
2. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
3. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were two-story.
(b) English huts were much larger.
(c) English huts had windows.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
4. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Cigarette smoking.
(b) The Talkies.
(c) Social equality for women.
(d) Modernized womens' fashions.
5. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
6. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
7. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's father.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(d) Lessing's mother.
8. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(a) Smith & Son's.
(c) Carron Dover.
9. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Kent.
(b) In Lilfordia.
(c) In Johannesburg.
(d) In London.
10. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
11. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
(c) Shell Shock.
12. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was poor.
(b) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(c) That the family was middle-class.
(d) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
13. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(b) An English tragedy.
(c) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(d) An Aristophanean comedy.
14. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
(d) Migraine headaches.
15. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
2. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
3. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
4. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
5. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)