|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Hostess.
(b) The Cynic.
(c) The Guide.
(d) The Recluse.
2. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Military defeat.
(c) Total victory.
3. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Social equality for women.
(b) Cigarette smoking.
(c) The Talkies.
(d) Modernized womens' fashions.
4. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they could betray them at any time.
(b) That they should return to England.
(c) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(d) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
5. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(b) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(c) "Ring Around the Rosie".
6. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) Political corruption.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) Media coverage.
7. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
8. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
9. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
10. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
11. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) With expensive shampoo.
(b) By shaving her head.
(c) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
(d) With paraffin.
12. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(a) Hydration and exercise.
(b) Tonic and quinine.
(c) Bed rest.
13. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(b) Red jelly and cream.
(c) Peaches and cream.
14. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
15. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
2. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
3. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
4. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
5. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)