|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
2. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A case of depression.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) A dishonorable discharge.
(d) An amputated leg.
3. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
(a) French peasant food.
(b) English peasant food.
(c) German peasant food.
(d) Traditional Rhodesian food.
4. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Johannesburg.
(b) In London.
(c) In Kent.
(d) In Lilfordia.
5. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(b) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A sniff.
6. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Slump.
(b) The War.
(c) The Native Problem.
(d) The Empire.
7. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 103 years.
(b) 54 years.
(c) 34 years.
(d) 23 years.
8. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(a) Roman Catholicism.
9. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
10. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) An image of the great house in Persia.
(b) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
(c) Her father returning from war.
(d) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
11. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
12. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
13. Where was John McVeagh born?
14. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The BBC.
(b) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(c) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(d) The Royal Theater Company.
15. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
(a) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted to work in town.
(b) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted independence.
(c) Lessing learned to drive because of her father's awkward leg.
(d) Lessing learned to drive to displease her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
2. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
3. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
4. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
5. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)