|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
2. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Guide.
(b) The Hostess.
(c) The Cynic.
(d) The Recluse.
3. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(b) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(c) That they could betray them at any time.
(d) That they should return to England.
4. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(a) Carron Dover.
(c) Smith & Son's.
5. Where was John McVeagh born?
6. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Empire.
(b) The Slump.
(c) The Native Problem.
(d) The War.
7. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 100.
(b) £ 2,500.
(c) £ 10,000.
(d) £ 1,000.
8. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
9. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Glasgow, Scotland.
(b) London, England.
(c) Southern Rhodesia.
(d) Kermanshah, Persia.
10. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That happiness is fleeting.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
11. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
12. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(c) Winnie the Pooh.
13. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(c) Small Pox.
14. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The bush.
(b) The natives.
(c) The trees.
(d) The wildcats.
15. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A bad appendix.
(b) A dishonorable discharge.
(c) A case of depression.
(d) An amputated leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
2. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
4. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
5. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)