|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were corrupt.
(b) That they were incompetent.
(c) That they were members of a different culture.
(d) That they were lazy.
2. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
3. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(b) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(c) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
5. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory cannot be trusted.
(b) Memory is an astonishing record.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory must be recorded in books.
6. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(c) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(d) "Ring Around the Rosie".
7. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Holocaust.
(b) The Crusades.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Reformation.
8. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
9. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
10. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A mischievous child.
(b) A mongoose.
(c) A snake.
(d) A cat.
11. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(c) Biographies sell well.
(d) Biographies are based on fact.
12. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(b) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(c) By staying up late.
(d) By stealing things and lying about them.
13. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) Her father returning from war.
(b) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
(c) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
(d) An image of the great house in Persia.
14. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
15. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
2. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
3. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
4. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
5. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)