|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
2. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Going Home.
(b) In Pursuit of the English.
(c) In Time Bites.
(d) In African Laughter.
3. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. James.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Mary Peach.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell.
4. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
5. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
6. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
(a) Because her mother always made her clothes look too youthful.
(b) Because her mother always insisted on making clothing that was too big.
(c) Because her mother was a poor seamstress.
(d) Because her mother had poor taste in clothing design.
7. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's father.
(b) Lessing's mother.
(d) Mrs. Scott.
8. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
9. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
10. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) World War II.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) World War I.
(d) Media coverage.
11. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their father died.
(b) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(c) Their mother shaved her head.
(d) Their mother died.
12. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Glasgow, Scotland.
(b) Kermanshah, Persia.
(c) Southern Rhodesia.
(d) London, England.
13. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
(c) United States of America.
14. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A mischievous child.
(b) A mongoose.
(c) A snake.
(d) A cat.
15. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 103 years.
(b) 23 years.
(c) 54 years.
(d) 34 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
2. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
5. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)