|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's father.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Lessing's mother.
2. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
3. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
4. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
5. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(b) Hydration and exercise.
(c) Bed rest.
(d) Tonic and quinine.
6. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
7. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Total victory.
(c) Military defeat.
8. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Royal Theater Company.
(b) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(c) The BBC.
(d) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
9. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were members of a different culture.
(b) That they were corrupt.
(c) That they were lazy.
(d) That they were incompetent.
10. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Holocaust.
(b) The Crusades.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Reformation.
11. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In London.
(b) In Johannesburg.
(c) In Kent.
(d) In Lilfordia.
12. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(b) Their father died.
(c) Their mother died.
(d) Their mother shaved her head.
13. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They studied French.
(b) They had their teeth removed.
(c) They drew up a legal will.
(d) They saved money scrupulously.
14. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(a) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(b) Tristram Shandy.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
15. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A dishonorable discharge.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) An amputated leg.
(d) A case of depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
2. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
3. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
4. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
5. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)