|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(b) That the family was middle-class.
(c) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(d) That the family was poor.
2. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The War.
(b) The Empire.
(c) The Native Problem.
(d) The Slump.
3. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) English huts had windows.
(b) African huts were two-story.
(c) English huts were much larger.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
4. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(b) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(c) The Royal Theater Company.
(d) The BBC.
5. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
6. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) Political corruption.
(b) Media coverage.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
7. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By stealing things and lying about them.
(b) By staying up late.
(c) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(d) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
8. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
9. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Johannesburg.
(b) In Lilfordia.
(c) In London.
(d) In Kent.
10. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A snake.
(b) A mischievous child.
(c) A cat.
(d) A mongoose.
11. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(b) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
(c) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(d) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
12. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(a) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(b) The rage of a child.
(c) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
13. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That nothing is permanent.
(c) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(d) That happiness is fleeting.
14. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(b) Smith & Son's.
(d) Carron Dover.
15. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
2. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
3. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
4. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
5. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)