|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
2. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(b) Smith & Son's.
(c) Carron Dover.
3. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
(a) Migraine headaches.
4. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(c) Roman Catholicism.
5. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
(a) In Southern Rhodesia.
(b) In Bloomsbury.
(c) In the East End.
(d) In Persia.
6. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory must be recorded in books.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
7. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(c) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(d) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
8. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The first day of school.
(b) The beginning of war.
(c) The death of her cat.
(d) The move to Africa.
9. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Military defeat.
(b) Total victory.
10. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Going Home.
(b) In Time Bites.
(c) In Pursuit of the English.
(d) In African Laughter.
11. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That circumstances dictate the person.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
12. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The bush.
(b) The trees.
(c) The wildcats.
(d) The natives.
13. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A cat.
(b) A mischievous child.
(c) A snake.
(d) A mongoose.
14. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Peaches and cream.
(b) Red jelly and cream.
15. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Johannesburg.
(b) In Lilfordia.
(c) In Kent.
(d) In London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
2. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
3. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
4. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)