|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(b) The Royal Theater Company.
(c) The BBC.
(d) The Liverpool Theater Company.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
3. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 54 years.
(b) 34 years.
(c) 103 years.
(d) 23 years.
4. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
5. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(a) Free time.
(b) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
(c) Copious emotional space.
6. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
(a) Her cat.
(b) A book.
(c) A flower that she picked herself.
(d) Her teddy bear.
7. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(b) The Scotland Yard.
(c) National Hospital of England.
(d) A small farm in Rhodesia.
8. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
(a) That a lie was worse than being naughty.
(b) That being naughty was more fun than behaving.
(c) That being naughty was much worse than lying.
(d) That lying would make their face stick in a horrible position.
9. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
(b) Migraine headaches.
10. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A dishonorable discharge.
(b) An amputated leg.
(c) A case of depression.
(d) A bad appendix.
11. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were members of a different culture.
(b) That they were lazy.
(c) That they were corrupt.
(d) That they were incompetent.
12. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) An English tragedy.
(b) An Aristophanean comedy.
(c) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(d) A one-act Shakespearean play.
13. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(b) The British National Bank.
(c) Land Bank.
(d) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
14. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(b) By stealing things and lying about them.
(c) By staying up late.
(d) By sneaking out of the cabin.
15. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
2. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
3. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
4. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
5. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)