|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(b) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(c) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(d) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
2. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Pursuit of the English.
(b) In Time Bites.
(c) In Going Home.
(d) In African Laughter.
3. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Mrs. James.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell.
(d) Mary Peach.
4. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
5. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Social equality for women.
(b) The Talkies.
(c) Cigarette smoking.
(d) Modernized womens' fashions.
6. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A cat.
(b) A mongoose.
(c) A mischievous child.
(d) A snake.
7. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) Media coverage.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
8. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The bush.
(b) The wildcats.
(c) The trees.
(d) The natives.
9. How did the author feel about her childhood?
(a) Lessing felt as though her childhood had been very sheltered.
(b) Lessing felt as though the entire world was changing while she was a child.
(c) Lessing felt as though there had been a grey cloud over her childhood.
(d) Lessing felt as though her parents had neglected her.
10. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A lavish rose gown.
(c) A pair of ladies' riding pants.
(d) A grey silk shift dress.
11. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The first day of school.
(b) The death of her cat.
(c) The move to Africa.
(d) The beginning of war.
12. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By staying up late.
(b) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(c) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(d) By stealing things and lying about them.
13. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
14. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's father.
(b) Lessing's mother.
(d) Mrs. Scott.
15. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
2. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
3. To which book did Lessing often compare her childhood?
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
5. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)