|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
2. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory must be recorded in books.
(b) Memory cannot be trusted.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory is an astonishing record.
3. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they should return to England.
(b) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(c) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(d) That they could betray them at any time.
4. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(b) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
5. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
6. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The BBC.
(b) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(c) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(d) The Royal Theater Company.
7. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A case of depression.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) A dishonorable discharge.
(d) An amputated leg.
8. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The trees.
(b) The natives.
(c) The wildcats.
(d) The bush.
9. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
10. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) National Hospital of England.
(b) The Scotland Yard.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) Imperial Bank of Persia.
11. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) London, England.
(b) Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Glasgow, Scotland.
(d) Kermanshah, Persia.
12. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were two-story.
(b) English huts had windows.
(c) English huts were much larger.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
13. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) An Aristophanean comedy.
(b) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(c) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(d) An English tragedy.
14. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) The British National Bank.
(b) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Land Bank.
(d) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
15. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Holocaust.
(b) The Crusades.
(c) The Reformation.
(d) The Renaissance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
2. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
4. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
5. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)