|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
2. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(b) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(c) By staying up late.
(d) By stealing things and lying about them.
3. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Johannesburg.
(b) In London.
(c) In Kent.
(d) In Lilfordia.
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
5. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
6. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
7. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) The Talkies.
(b) Modernized womens' fashions.
(c) Cigarette smoking.
(d) Social equality for women.
8. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A story about her frivolous ways.
(b) A sniff.
(c) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
9. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A lavish rose gown.
(c) A grey silk shift dress.
(d) A pair of ladies' riding pants.
10. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Biographies sell well.
(c) Biographies are based on fact.
(d) Novels require more of the author's soul.
11. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
12. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
(b) United States of America.
13. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Horses and dancing.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Singing and prancing.
14. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(b) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(c) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
(d) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
15. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Southern Rhodesia.
(b) Glasgow, Scotland.
(c) London, England.
(d) Kermanshah, Persia.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
2. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
3. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
4. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
5. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)