|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
2. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Horses and dancing.
(b) Cats and flowers.
(c) Singing and prancing.
(d) Books and studying.
3. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(b) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
(c) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
(d) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
4. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
(a) United States of America.
5. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
6. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(a) The Counter Reformation.
(b) The Inquisition.
7. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(b) An English tragedy.
(c) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(d) An Aristophanean comedy.
8. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
9. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(c) Small Pox.
10. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
(a) In Persia.
(b) In Southern Rhodesia.
(c) In Bloomsbury.
(d) In the East End.
11. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(a) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(c) Tristram Shandy.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
12. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(a) Carron Dover.
(b) Smith & Son's.
13. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
14. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(b) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
(c) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(d) The rage of a child.
15. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were incompetent.
(b) That they were members of a different culture.
(c) That they were corrupt.
(d) That they were lazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
2. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
3. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
5. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)