|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their mother shaved her head.
(b) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(c) Their mother died.
(d) Their father died.
2. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(c) Small Pox.
3. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
4. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are based on fact.
(b) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(c) Biographies sell well.
(d) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
5. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(b) That the family was middle-class.
(c) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(d) That the family was poor.
6. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
(a) Because her mother had poor taste in clothing design.
(b) Because her mother was a poor seamstress.
(c) Because her mother always insisted on making clothing that was too big.
(d) Because her mother always made her clothes look too youthful.
7. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(a) Tristram Shandy.
(c) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
8. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(b) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
9. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The War.
(b) The Empire.
(c) The Slump.
(d) The Native Problem.
10. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
11. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(b) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(c) The Royal Theater Company.
(d) The BBC.
12. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In London.
(b) In Kent.
(c) In Johannesburg.
(d) In Lilfordia.
13. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
(a) German peasant food.
(b) Traditional Rhodesian food.
(c) French peasant food.
(d) English peasant food.
14. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(b) The British National Bank.
(c) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
(d) Land Bank.
15. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stated that children should play in mud?
2. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
3. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
4. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
5. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)