|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(d) Small Pox.
2. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Southern Rhodesia.
(b) London, England.
(c) Glasgow, Scotland.
(d) Kermanshah, Persia.
3. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
4. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Modernized womens' fashions.
(b) Cigarette smoking.
(c) Social equality for women.
(d) The Talkies.
5. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) An amputated leg.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) A dishonorable discharge.
(d) A case of depression.
6. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) By shaving her head.
(b) With expensive shampoo.
(c) With paraffin.
(d) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
7. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
8. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies sell well.
(b) Biographies are based on fact.
(c) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(d) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
9. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
(a) A Ciceronian tragedy.
(b) A one-act Shakespearean play.
(c) An English tragedy.
(d) An Aristophanean comedy.
10. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(b) Memory must be recorded in books.
(c) Memory cannot be trusted.
(d) Memory is an astonishing record.
11. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Lessing's father.
(d) Lessing's mother.
12. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
13. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(b) Hydration and exercise.
(c) Bed rest.
(d) Tonic and quinine.
14. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
(a) A grey silk shift dress.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A pair of ladies' riding pants.
(d) A lavish rose gown.
15. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Singing and prancing.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Horses and dancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
2. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
3. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
4. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
5. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)