|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(c) Smith & Son's.
(d) Carron Dover.
2. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
3. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
(b) An image of the great house in Persia.
(c) Her father returning from war.
(d) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
4. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
(b) Land Bank.
(c) The British National Bank.
(d) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
5. Where was John McVeagh born?
6. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
(a) That a lie was worse than being naughty.
(b) That lying would make their face stick in a horrible position.
(c) That being naughty was much worse than lying.
(d) That being naughty was more fun than behaving.
7. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
8. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
9. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) By shaving her head.
(b) With paraffin.
(c) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
(d) With expensive shampoo.
10. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The beginning of war.
(b) The death of her cat.
(c) The first day of school.
(d) The move to Africa.
11. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 103 years.
(b) 34 years.
(c) 54 years.
(d) 23 years.
12. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(b) Memory cannot be trusted.
(c) Memory must be recorded in books.
(d) Memory is an astonishing record.
13. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
(c) Tristram Shandy.
14. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
(a) A cat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A mischievous child.
(d) A mongoose.
15. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their mother died.
(b) Their father died.
(c) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(d) Their mother shaved her head.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
2. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
3. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
4. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)