|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 2,500.
(b) £ 100.
(c) £ 10,000.
(d) £ 1,000.
2. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
3. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) London, England.
(b) Kermanshah, Persia.
(c) Southern Rhodesia.
(d) Glasgow, Scotland.
4. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Red jelly and cream.
(b) Peaches and cream.
5. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 103 years.
(c) 54 years.
(d) 34 years.
6. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
(a) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted to work in town.
(b) Lessing learned to drive to displease her mother.
(c) Lessing learned to drive because of her father's awkward leg.
(d) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted independence.
7. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
(a) In Persia.
(b) In Southern Rhodesia.
(c) In Bloomsbury.
(d) In the East End.
8. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were incompetent.
(b) That they were lazy.
(c) That they were members of a different culture.
(d) That they were corrupt.
9. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Cats and flowers.
(b) Singing and prancing.
(c) Horses and dancing.
(d) Books and studying.
10. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's mother.
(c) Lessing's father.
(d) Mrs. Scott.
11. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
(a) That a lie was worse than being naughty.
(b) That lying would make their face stick in a horrible position.
(c) That being naughty was more fun than behaving.
(d) That being naughty was much worse than lying.
12. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
13. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was middle-class.
(b) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(c) That the family was poor.
(d) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
14. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell.
(c) Mary Peach.
(d) Mrs. James.
15. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Hostess.
(b) The Guide.
(c) The Cynic.
(d) The Recluse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lessing say about memory?
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
3. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
4. What type of play did Lessing write while at the Convent?
5. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)