|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
2. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory must be recorded in books.
(b) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(c) Memory is an astonishing record.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
3. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Slump.
(b) The War.
(c) The Native Problem.
(d) The Empire.
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Holocaust.
(b) The Reformation.
(c) The Crusades.
(d) The Renaissance.
5. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(b) Bed rest.
(c) Tonic and quinine.
(d) Hydration and exercise.
6. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 2,500.
(b) £ 100.
(c) £ 10,000.
(d) £ 1,000.
7. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
8. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
9. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
10. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were incompetent.
(b) That they were corrupt.
(c) That they were members of a different culture.
(d) That they were lazy.
11. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
12. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was poor.
(b) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(c) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(d) That the family was middle-class.
13. What article of clothing caught young Lessing's attention on Bayswater Road?
(a) A lavish rose gown.
(b) A pair of ladies' riding pants.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A grey silk shift dress.
14. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
(a) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted independence.
(b) Lessing learned to drive to displease her mother.
(c) Lessing learned to drive because of her father's awkward leg.
(d) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted to work in town.
15. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(b) Carron Dover.
(d) Smith & Son's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
2. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
4. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
5. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)