|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(b) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(c) "Ring Around the Rosie".
2. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(c) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(d) National Hospital of England.
3. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Total victory.
(d) Military defeat.
4. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Hostess.
(b) The Guide.
(c) The Recluse.
(d) The Cynic.
5. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(d) Roman Catholicism.
6. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A dishonorable discharge.
(b) A case of depression.
(c) A bad appendix.
(d) An amputated leg.
7. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
(b) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(c) The BBC.
(d) The Royal Theater Company.
8. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
9. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) Land Bank.
(b) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(c) The British National Bank.
(d) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
10. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Lessing's father.
(d) Lessing's mother.
11. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(b) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
(c) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(d) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
12. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
(a) In the East End.
(b) In Southern Rhodesia.
(c) In Bloomsbury.
(d) In Persia.
13. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In African Laughter.
(b) In Going Home.
(c) In Pursuit of the English.
(d) In Time Bites.
14. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
15. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
2. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
3. How many family members went to visit Lessing's house in Persia?
4. To which book did Lessing often compare her childhood?
5. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)