|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Hostess.
(b) The Cynic.
(c) The Guide.
(d) The Recluse.
2. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 54 years.
(c) 103 years.
(d) 34 years.
3. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
(c) Winnie the Pooh.
4. Where was Doris Lessing born?
(a) Glasgow, Scotland.
(b) London, England.
(c) Kermanshah, Persia.
(d) Southern Rhodesia.
5. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
(b) Smith & Son's.
(c) Carron Dover.
6. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(b) Red jelly and cream.
(d) Peaches and cream.
7. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
8. How old was Lessing when she wrote "The Treasure Trunk"?
9. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
10. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In African Laughter.
(b) In Time Bites.
(c) In Going Home.
(d) In Pursuit of the English.
11. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(a) Tonic and quinine.
(c) Bed rest.
(d) Hydration and exercise.
12. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
(a) With expensive shampoo.
(b) With paraffin.
(c) By shaving her head.
(d) By washing her hair with scalding hot water.
13. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
14. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Mary Peach.
(d) Mrs. James.
15. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) National Hospital of England.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) Imperial Bank of Persia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author feel about her childhood?
2. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
3. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
4. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
5. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)