|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stated that children should play in mud?
(a) Lessing's mother.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(d) Lessing's father.
2. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
3. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In African Laughter.
(b) In Pursuit of the English.
(c) In Time Bites.
(d) In Going Home.
4. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
(a) A flower that she picked herself.
(b) Her teddy bear.
(c) A book.
(d) Her cat.
6. What image from the photograph album does Lessing describe?
(a) A trip to the market.
(b) A visit to a swimming bath.
(c) Her first day in the Persian house.
(d) A visit to her father's workplace.
7. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(b) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(c) That they could betray them at any time.
(d) That they should return to England.
8. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Peaches and cream.
(c) Red jelly and cream.
9. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
(a) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted to work in town.
(b) Lessing learned to drive because of her father's awkward leg.
(c) Lessing learned to drive to displease her mother.
(d) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted independence.
10. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(b) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(c) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(d) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
11. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
(b) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(c) By staying up late.
(d) By stealing things and lying about them.
12. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
13. To which of the following religions did Lessing suddenly convert?
(d) Roman Catholicism.
14. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Ring Around the Rosie".
(b) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(c) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
15. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
2. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
3. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
4. With whom did Lessing board as a child?
5. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)