|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Twenty and Twenty-One.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
(a) The Empire.
(b) The Native Problem.
(c) The War.
(d) The Slump.
2. How many jobs was Gottfried working?
3. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(b) "Ring Around the Rosie".
(d) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
4. What aspect of her childhood determined that Lessing would never separate herself from politics?
(a) Listening to the way that her parents treated the servants.
(b) Listening to her parents' impossible ideas.
(c) Listening to the BBC each day.
(d) Listening to the ideas of the African workers whom her family employed.
5. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They drew up a legal will.
(b) They saved money scrupulously.
(c) They studied French.
(d) They had their teeth removed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing refuse to have on her bed at night?
2. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
3. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
4. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
5. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)