|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That circumstances dictate the person.
(b) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That happiness is fleeting.
2. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A smoking culture.
(b) A drinking culture.
(c) A sexually permissive culture.
(d) A racially-integrated culture.
3. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
4. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(c) Memory must be recorded in books.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
5. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
2. In Chapter 14, what year did Lessing marry Gottfried Lessing?
3. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
4. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
5. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)