|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(b) That the family was middle-class.
(c) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(d) That the family was poor.
2. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(b) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(d) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A story about her frivolous ways.
(b) A sniff.
(c) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(d) A look of disdain in her eyes.
4. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
(a) £12 a month.
(b) £12 a year.
(c) £12 a week.
(d) £12 a day.
5. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
(a) Mrs. Mitchell and her son screamed at and berated their Black servants.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their black servants like slaves.
(c) Mrs. Mitchell and her son completely ignored their Black servants.
(d) Mrs. Mitchell and her son treated their Black servants just like family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lessing experiment with drugs?
2. In what year was Gottfried Lessing born?
3. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
4. Who stated that children should play in mud?
5. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)