|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
(a) Social equality for women.
(b) Cigarette smoking.
(c) Modernized womens' fashions.
(d) The Talkies.
2. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A sexually permissive culture.
(b) A drinking culture.
(c) A racially-integrated culture.
(d) A smoking culture.
3. Which of the following phenomenons did Frank and Lessing consistently criticize?
(b) White superiority.
(c) English customs celebrated in Rhodesia.
(d) Pretensions about education.
4. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
(a) Das Kapital.
(b) Darkness at Noon.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Stalin's journals.
5. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
2. To which of the following illnesses did Lessing's brother often succumb?
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. What did all the women assume about Lessing's marriage to Frank?
5. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)