|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Capetown Brewery.
(b) Castle Brewery.
(c) Salisbury Brewery.
(d) Brewer's Pub.
2. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
(a) £12 a year.
(b) £12 a week.
(c) £12 a day.
(d) £12 a month.
3. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their mother shaved her head.
(b) Their mother died.
(c) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(d) Their father died.
4. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(a) The Inquisition.
(c) The Counter Reformation.
5. Why did Lessing learn to drive?
(a) Lessing learned to drive to displease her mother.
(b) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted to work in town.
(c) Lessing learned to drive because she wanted independence.
(d) Lessing learned to drive because of her father's awkward leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vouched for Gottfried Lessing to get him out of jail?
2. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
3. What stove brand did Lessing's family use?
4. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
5. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)