|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A look of disdain in her eyes.
2. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(b) Their mother shaved her head.
(c) Their mother died.
(d) Their father died.
3. Who was the editor of The New Rhodesia?
(a) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Gottfried Lessing.
(d) N.H. Wilson.
4. Which of the following books did Lessing use to illustrate the difference in transitioning from the consciousness of a child to that of an adult?
(a) Tristram Shandy.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
5. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Recluse.
(b) The Cynic.
(c) The Guide.
(d) The Hostess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
2. What development in young John's life took very little effort from Lessing?
3. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
4. What had Lessing become after attending meetings with Dorothy?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)