|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies sell well.
(b) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(c) Biographies are based on fact.
(d) Novels require more of the author's soul.
2. What type of culture existed in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) A sexually permissive culture.
(b) A smoking culture.
(c) A drinking culture.
(d) A racially-integrated culture.
3. What skills did Lessing teach herself during that year?
(a) Sewing and darning.
(b) Speed typing and shorthand.
(c) Cooking and cleaning.
(d) Reading and writing.
4. What type of animals frequently made their way into the Tayler house?
5. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
(a) Lessing wanted to impress a farm assistant.
(b) Lessing wanted to foil her mother's attempts to feed the family well.
(c) Because the clothing that would arrive for her was always too small.
(d) Lessing's mother told her to try to lose weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
2. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
3. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
4. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
5. Why did Lessing remain on the farm when her father was taken to the hospital in Salisbury?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)