|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) National Hospital of England.
(b) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) The Scotland Yard.
2. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
(a) Lessing's father assumed that Frank was interested in the family's money.
(b) Lessing's father assumed that Lessing had finally settled down.
(c) Lessing's father assumed that she was in love.
(d) Lessing's father assumed that she was pregnant.
3. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 100.
(b) £ 1,000.
(c) £ 10,000.
(d) £ 2,500.
4. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
(a) The risk of not appearing to be marriage material.
(b) Showing too much knowledge about politics.
(c) The wicked intentions of teenage boys.
(d) The White Slave Trade.
5. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(b) A sniff.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A look of disdain in her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
2. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
3. Which group was beginning to infiltrate Salisbury?
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
5. What did Lessing do while she spent her days with John?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)