|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(a) The rage of a child.
(b) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(d) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
2. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Horses and dancing.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Singing and prancing.
(d) Cats and flowers.
3. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The Reformation.
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That circumstances dictate the person.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
5. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 100.
(b) £ 10,000.
(c) £ 2,500.
(d) £ 1,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
2. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
3. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
4. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
5. Which of the following killed one of the chickens and took off with a couple of eggs?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)