|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Red jelly and cream.
(b) Peaches and cream.
2. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 54 years.
(b) 103 years.
(c) 34 years.
(d) 23 years.
3. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The death of her cat.
(b) The move to Africa.
(c) The beginning of war.
(d) The first day of school.
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That nothing is permanent.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
5. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Ring Around the Rosie".
(c) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(d) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
2. How did Lessing's mother cure Lessing's lice problem?
3. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
4. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
5. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)