|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 103 years.
(c) 54 years.
(d) 34 years.
2. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
(d) Small Pox.
3. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they should return to England.
(b) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(c) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(d) That they could betray them at any time.
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Holocaust.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Reformation.
(d) The Crusades.
5. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
(a) The Liverpool Theater Company.
(b) The Royal Theater Company.
(c) The BBC.
(d) The Shakespeare Theater Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
2. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
3. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
4. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
5. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)