|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Six -Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Kent.
(b) In Johannesburg.
(c) In Lilfordia.
(d) In London.
2. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(b) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(c) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
(d) "Ring Around the Rosie".
3. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(b) The rage of a child.
(c) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
(d) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
4. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A dishonorable discharge.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) An amputated leg.
(d) A case of depression.
5. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(a) Free time.
(b) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
(c) Copious emotional space.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
2. How did Mrs. Mitchell and her son treat their Black servants?
3. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
4. What was Lessing's name for her outward personality?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)