|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Six -Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies sell well.
(b) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(c) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(d) Biographies are based on fact.
2. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
(b) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
(c) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(d) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
3. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Singing and prancing.
(b) Cats and flowers.
(c) Books and studying.
(d) Horses and dancing.
4. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
5. Where was John McVeagh born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
2. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
3. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
4. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)