|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Total victory.
(c) Military defeat.
2. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(b) Memory is an astonishing record.
(c) Memory cannot be trusted.
(d) Memory must be recorded in books.
3. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 54 years.
(b) 23 years.
(c) 34 years.
(d) 103 years.
4. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
(a) They drew up a legal will.
(b) They studied French.
(c) They saved money scrupulously.
(d) They had their teeth removed.
5. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Lilfordia.
(b) In Johannesburg.
(c) In London.
(d) In Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
2. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
3. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
4. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
5. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)