|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That happiness is fleeting.
(b) That nothing is permanent.
(c) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(d) That circumstances dictate the person.
2. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 103 years.
(c) 54 years.
(d) 34 years.
5. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Horses and dancing.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Singing and prancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Doris Lessing born?
2. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
3. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
4. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
5. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)