|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
2. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(c) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
3. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Holocaust.
(c) The Reformation.
(d) The Crusades.
5. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(a) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(b) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
2. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
3. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
4. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
5. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)