|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(b) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(c) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
2. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(b) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
3. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Pursuit of the English.
(b) In Time Bites.
(c) In African Laughter.
(d) In Going Home.
4. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Singing and prancing.
(c) Horses and dancing.
(d) Cats and flowers.
5. Which of the following sparkled in every rock that surrounded the Lessings' home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lessing's nanny?
2. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
3. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
4. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
5. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)