|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author feel about her childhood?
(a) Lessing felt as though the entire world was changing while she was a child.
(b) Lessing felt as though her parents had neglected her.
(c) Lessing felt as though her childhood had been very sheltered.
(d) Lessing felt as though there had been a grey cloud over her childhood.
2. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The death of her cat.
(b) The beginning of war.
(c) The move to Africa.
(d) The first day of school.
3. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Biographies sell well.
(c) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(d) Biographies are based on fact.
4. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
5. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Reformation.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The Crusades.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
2. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
3. What does Lessing say about memory?
4. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
5. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)