|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
2. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
(a) A flower that she picked herself.
(b) Her cat.
(c) A book.
(d) Her teddy bear.
3. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
4. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
5. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) Her father returning from war.
(b) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
(c) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
(d) An image of the great house in Persia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
3. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
5. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)