|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies sell well.
(b) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(c) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(d) Biographies are based on fact.
2. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(b) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(c) The rage of a child.
(d) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
3. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(d) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
4. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
5. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory must be recorded in books.
(c) Memory cannot be trusted.
(d) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
2. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
3. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
4. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
5. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)