|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) National Hospital of England.
(c) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(d) A small farm in Rhodesia.
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That nothing is permanent.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
3. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The beginning of war.
(b) The first day of school.
(c) The death of her cat.
(d) The move to Africa.
4. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
(d) United States of America.
5. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) An amputated leg.
(b) A dishonorable discharge.
(c) A case of depression.
(d) A bad appendix.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
2. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
3. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
4. What does Lessing say about memory?
5. Where was John McVeagh born?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)