|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(c) Memory must be recorded in books.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
2. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(b) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(c) The rage of a child.
(d) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
5. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That happiness is fleeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
2. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
3. Where was John McVeagh born?
4. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
5. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)