|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Horses and dancing.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Singing and prancing.
(d) Cats and flowers.
2. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
(c) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(d) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
3. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A bad appendix.
(b) A case of depression.
(c) An amputated leg.
(d) A dishonorable discharge.
4. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(b) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
5. Which of the following names does Lessing give the personality that would comes out of her while under the influence of drugs?
(a) The Hostess.
(b) The Cynic.
(c) The Recluse.
(d) The Guide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
2. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
4. Where was John McVeagh born?
5. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)