|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Singing and prancing.
(b) Horses and dancing.
(c) Cats and flowers.
(d) Books and studying.
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That happiness is fleeting.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
3. In Chapter 2, what is one thing that Lessing says the writer must have in order to begin to write about his/her life?
(a) Tedious, rhetorical questions.
(b) Copious emotional space.
(d) Free time.
4. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
5. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) World War I.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) Media coverage.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
2. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
3. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
4. How did the author feel about her childhood?
5. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)