|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Cats and flowers.
(c) Horses and dancing.
(d) Singing and prancing.
2. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
(c) Shell Shock.
3. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(c) Biographies are based on fact.
(d) Biographies sell well.
4. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
(a) An image of the farm in Southern Rhodesia.
(b) An image of the great house in Persia.
(c) Her father, towering above her on a horse.
(d) Her father returning from war.
5. According to Lessing, what is the most intense form of hatred?
(a) The rage of a child.
(c) The hatred of the disillusioned soldier.
(d) The racially-motivated hatred of post-colonial Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
2. Where was John McVeagh born?
3. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
4. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
5. What did Doris insist on having with her in the photograph for which she posed?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)