|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Military defeat.
(b) Total victory.
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That happiness is fleeting.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
3. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) National Hospital of England.
(b) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(c) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(d) The Scotland Yard.
4. Where was John McVeagh born?
5. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(a) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(d) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
2. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
3. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
4. In Chapter 3, which of the following does Lessing describe as her first memory?
5. How did the author feel about her childhood?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)