|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(b) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
2. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory cannot be trusted.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory must be recorded in books.
3. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Singing and prancing.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Horses and dancing.
(d) Cats and flowers.
4. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(b) A story about her frivolous ways.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
5. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following drugs does Lessing admit to having taken once?
2. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
3. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
5. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)