|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Fifteen, Sixteen and Seventeen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) An amputated leg.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) A dishonorable discharge.
(d) A case of depression.
2. Where did the young people in Lessing's circles get their beer?
(a) Brewer's Pub.
(b) Salisbury Brewery.
(c) Capetown Brewery.
(d) Castle Brewery.
3. Who was the Minister of Finance?
(a) Max Danziger.
(b) Frank Wisdom.
(c) Arthur Koestler.
(d) Gunther Maynard.
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That nothing is permanent.
(d) That circumstances dictate the person.
5. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(b) The Inquisition.
(c) The Counter Reformation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
2. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
3. What does Lessing say about memory?
4. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
5. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)