|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Fifteen, Sixteen and Seventeen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(b) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(c) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
(d) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
2. In Chapter 16, which part of Esther and Kurt's house was exclusively Esther's?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The laundry room.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The garden.
3. What was the name of the building in which Lessing and Gottfried rented their flat?
(a) Cambridge Woods.
(b) Grand Meikles.
(c) Leander House.
(d) Jameson Hotel.
4. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
(a) The wildcats.
(b) The natives.
(c) The bush.
(d) The trees.
5. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they could betray them at any time.
(b) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(c) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(d) That they should return to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food were the children fed at the convent that Lessing stayed in as a child?
2. What word did Kurt ask Esther not to use?
3. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
4. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 11, where did Lessing work?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)