|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Fifteen, Sixteen and Seventeen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was John McVeagh born?
2. What did Lessing notice about the workers at the Guardian?
(a) Lessing noticed that whites worked alongside "Indians and Coloured people".
(b) Lessing noticed that very few people ran the operation.
(c) Lessing noticed that there were many women working in important positions.
(d) Lessing noticed that all classes of people were employed there.
3. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(b) A story about her frivolous ways.
(c) A sniff.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
4. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) National Hospital of England.
(b) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) The Scotland Yard.
5. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory is an astonishing record.
(b) Memory cannot be trusted.
(c) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(d) Memory must be recorded in books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lessing's wage when she worked as a junior typist?
2. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
3. What did the Portuguese woman give to Lessing?
4. Who is the central character of Lessing's "The Good Terrorist"- a book that Lessing references in this chapter?
5. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)