|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Fifteen, Sixteen and Seventeen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A look of disdain in her eyes.
2. Which of the following did Lessing delight in telling the other children at the school?
(a) That lying would make their face stick in a horrible position.
(b) That a lie was worse than being naughty.
(c) That being naughty was more fun than behaving.
(d) That being naughty was much worse than lying.
3. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(a) Going Home.
(b) The Cleft.
(d) Martha Quest.
4. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their servants were fired for stealing.
(b) Their mother shaved her head.
(c) Their mother died.
(d) Their father died.
5. What did Lessing's father think of his Persian business partners?
(a) That they were members of a different culture.
(b) That they were incompetent.
(c) That they were lazy.
(d) That they were corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
2. Which of the following organizations asked Lessing to write a play in the 1950's?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Lessing reference as a common theme throughout her childhood?
4. What time of day would Gottfried get up to go to the tobacco auctions?
5. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)