|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters Fifteen, Sixteen and Seventeen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
2. To which party did Ken Graham belong?
(a) The Labor Party.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Centrist Party.
(d) The group of anarchists in Southern Rhodesia.
3. Which company offered loans to the farmers in Lessing's region?
(a) The British National Bank.
(b) The National Bank of Southern Rhodesia.
(c) Southern Rhodesian Farming Association.
(d) Land Bank.
4. How much capital did Lessing's father take to Southern Rhodesia?
(a) £ 10,000.
(b) £ 1,000.
(c) £ 100.
(d) £ 2,500.
5. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies sell well.
(b) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(c) Biographies are based on fact.
(d) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
2. Who recommended that Lessing see a particular doctor for an abortion?
3. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
4. Who stated that children should play in mud?
5. Why did Lessing not like the clothes that her mother had made for her?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)