|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Aunt Betty Cleverly like most women of her generation?
(a) Aunt Betty had decided not to marry.
(b) Aunt Betty's lover was killed in the War.
(c) Aunt Betty was committed to Victorian values.
(d) Aunt Betty was unhappily married.
2. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In London.
(b) In Kent.
(c) In Johannesburg.
(d) In Lilfordia.
3. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
(a) By sneaking out of the cabin.
(b) By staying up late.
(c) By stealing things and lying about them.
(d) By speaking disrespectfully to the nanny.
4. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(b) The Scotland Yard.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) National Hospital of England.
5. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A story about her frivolous ways.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(d) A sniff.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
2. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
3. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
4. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
5. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)