|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory must be recorded in books.
(b) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(c) Memory cannot be trusted.
(d) Memory is an astonishing record.
2. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(b) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(c) That the family was poor.
(d) That the family was middle-class.
3. How did Lessing's mother pack differently for her new life in Africa than she did for Persia?
(a) She pared down her possessions before leaving for Africa.
(b) She took more extravagant things to Africa.
(c) She did nothing differently and packed all of the same items.
(d) She packed more food stuffs before leaving for Africa.
4. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
5. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they should return to England.
(b) That they could betray them at any time.
(c) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(d) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
2. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
3. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
4. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
5. Which of the following areas was the homeland of Lessing's mother's doctor?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)