|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
(a) Military defeat.
(d) Total victory.
2. What event in Lessing's childhood does she describe as having left her inconsolable?
(a) The move to Africa.
(b) The first day of school.
(c) The beginning of war.
(d) The death of her cat.
3. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That nothing is permanent.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(d) That circumstances dictate the person.
4. Which of the following does Lessing blame for the distrust that 20th Century people have in their governments?
(a) World War II.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) Media coverage.
(d) World War I.
5. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 34 years.
(c) 103 years.
(d) 54 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bouts of illness did Lessing's family experience?
2. How did the author feel about her childhood?
3. Where was John McVeagh born?
4. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
5. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)