|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That nothing is permanent.
(b) That circumstances dictate the person.
(c) That happiness is fleeting.
(d) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
2. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(b) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(c) A story about her frivolous ways.
(d) A sniff.
3. Where did Lessing's father work after he was discharged from the Army?
(a) The Scotland Yard.
(b) Imperial Bank of Persia.
(c) A small farm in Rhodesia.
(d) National Hospital of England.
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(a) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
(b) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
5. What made Lessing and her brother weep at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Their father died.
(b) Their mother shaved her head.
(c) Their mother died.
(d) Their servants were fired for stealing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
2. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
3. Which of the following illnesses did Lessing's family battle?
4. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
5. According to Lessing, where do most of the good biographers live?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)