|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the doctor prescribe to alleviate Lessing's mother's ailment?
(b) Hydration and exercise.
(c) Tonic and quinine.
(d) Bed rest.
2. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Going Home.
(b) In African Laughter.
(c) In Pursuit of the English.
(d) In Time Bites.
3. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
(a) Peaches and cream.
(d) Red jelly and cream.
4. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
(a) Women become more significant to a culture's public culture.
(b) Women assert themselves as powerful people.
(c) Women are dropped from memory, then history.
(d) Women fade into the domestic sphere.
5. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many adults lived in the Persian house while Lessing was growing up?
2. Which of the following does Lessing state as signifying the end of any war?
3. In Chapter 4, what city did Lessing's mother insist on traveling through on the way back to England?
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
5. How did Lessing's friend make a living in New York to support herself and her daughter?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)