|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eleven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they could betray them at any time.
(b) That they should return to England.
(c) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
(d) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
2. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That circumstances dictate the person.
(d) That nothing is permanent.
3. Growing up, what was Lessing always told about the family's financial status?
(a) That the family was middle-class.
(b) That the family would be fine when her father settled in his new job.
(c) That the family was financially stable, but morally corrupt.
(d) That the family was poor.
4. To which of the following does Lessing compare writers?
(a) Ventriloquists, casting a message from afar.
(d) Pegs on which to hang ideas.
5. How many biographers were writing about Lessing at the time that she wrote the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lessing rebel while aboard the ship?
2. What social development occurred during Lessing's stay at the Convent which, much to the chagrin of the nuns, parents supported?
3. What did Biddy O'Halloran's skin resemble?
4. What did Lessing's father assume when she and Frank showed up at the family farm?
5. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)