|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eleven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the things that Lessing and Frank had in common?
(a) Both had read the Communist Manifesto.
(b) Both lived in Persia as children.
(c) Both had seditious thoughts about "The Native Problem".
(d) Both subscribed to the New Statesman.
2. What year did Lessing leave Southern Rhodesia?
3. According to Lessing, why do authors write so many biographies?
(a) Biographies are simpler to write than fiction.
(b) Biographies are based on fact.
(c) Novels require more of the author's soul.
(d) Biographies sell well.
4. According to Lessing, above all, what does history tell us?
(a) That nothing is permanent.
(b) That happiness is fleeting.
(c) That mankind is not peaceful by nature.
(d) That circumstances dictate the person.
5. In which book did Lessing write about Mr. Whitehead?
(a) In Going Home.
(b) In Time Bites.
(c) In Pursuit of the English.
(d) In African Laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remained unaffected by the Lessings' existence for 20 years?
2. What do Lessing's parents do in preparation for their next voyage?
3. According to Lessing, what happens to women as time passes?
4. After returning to England, where did Lessing's family settle?
5. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)