|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eleven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what activity does Lessing compare learning the skills of her new job?
(a) To learning to speak.
(b) To learning to walk.
(c) To riding a bicycle.
(d) To learning to write the alphabet.
2. How many trek oxen hauled the wagon carrying Lessing's family?
3. What does Lessing say about memory?
(a) Memory must be recorded in books.
(b) Memory is a careless and lazy organ.
(c) Memory is an astonishing record.
(d) Memory cannot be trusted.
4. Which of the following was the "chief wrong" that Lessing's mother cited in her diatribe against the Catholic Church?
(b) The Counter Reformation.
(d) The Inquisition.
5. What was the difference between African huts and English huts?
(a) African huts were two-story.
(b) English huts had windows.
(c) English huts were much larger.
(d) African huts were made of straw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dress was Lessing wearing in the scene that she describes?
2. During the 1930's what did Lessing and her brother hear all of the adults discussing?
3. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
4. Which of the following historic examples does Lessing use to support her claims about human nature?
5. What does Lessing describe as another form of intoxication aside from alcohol?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)