|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She did not approve.
(b) She applauded her independence.
(c) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
(d) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
2. What did Lessing's parents think of the Whiteheads when they first met them?
(a) That they could betray them at any time.
(b) That they should return to England.
(c) That they were shifty and unsatisfactory.
(d) That they would be useful in developing relationships.
3. Which of Lessing's books began at that time in her life?
(b) Going Home.
(c) The Cleft.
(d) Martha Quest.
4. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
5. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In Lilfordia.
(b) In Johannesburg.
(c) In London.
(d) In Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it especially dangerous for Gottfried to carry on an affair?
2. What were young women specifically cautioned against in London during that period?
3. When did Gottfried Lessing arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
4. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
5. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)