|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lessing's family live before they found property?
(a) In London.
(b) In Johannesburg.
(c) In Kent.
(d) In Lilfordia.
2. Which book on the experience of Communism does Lessing cite in this chapter?
(a) Stalin's journals.
(b) The Communist Manifesto.
(c) Darkness at Noon.
(d) Das Kapital.
3. What did Lessing's landlady think about her stream of visitors?
(a) She applauded her independence.
(b) She did not mind, but wondered what Lessing's mother thought.
(c) She did not approve.
(d) She did not notice the stream of visitors.
4. How does Lessing describe the letters that she received from her mother?
5. In Chapter 9, which year does Lessing describe as a "make or break" year in her life?
(a) Her 16th year.
(b) Her 17th year.
(c) Her 14th year.
(d) Her 12th year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lessing begin to eat less during meals?
2. Where did Lessing first experience a social event in which she and black people were treated equally?
3. How does Lessing describe their sex life?
4. How long before this book was written did Europeans arrive in Southern Rhodesia?
5. What was the primary battle between Lessing and her mother centered upon?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)