1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Books and studying.
(b) Cats and flowers.
(c) Singing and prancing.
(d) Horses and dancing.
2. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A story about her frivolous ways.
(b) A sniff.
(c) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(d) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. Where was John McVeagh born?
5. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
6. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Ring Around the Rosie".
(b) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(d) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
7. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
(a) Shell Shock.
8. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A case of depression.
(b) A bad appendix.
(c) A dishonorable discharge.
(d) An amputated leg.
This section contains 4,404 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)