1. According to the quote at the opening of Chapter 1, the girl in Lessing's mother's favorite saying only cared about which of the following?
(a) Cats and flowers.
(b) Books and studying.
(c) Horses and dancing.
(d) Singing and prancing.
2. How did Lessing's mother convey her distaste for Emily McVeagh?
(a) A sniff.
(b) A look of disdain in her eyes.
(c) A constant undercurrent in her descriptions of Emily.
(d) A story about her frivolous ways.
3. At what age did Emily McVeagh die?
4. Where was John McVeagh born?
5. How many acres of land did James Tayler own in 1851?
6. Which of the following song for children made Lessing's mother cry?
(a) "Baa Baa, Black Sheep".
(b) "Ring Around the Rosie".
(c) "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".
7. Which of the following conditions ailed the author's father?
(c) Shell Shock.
8. Why did Lessing's father miss the Battle of the Somme?
(a) A bad appendix.
(b) A dishonorable discharge.
(c) An amputated leg.
(d) A case of depression.
This section contains 4,404 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)