* In Chapter 1, Lessing traces her family tree and learns that her parents did not love their parents.
* Lessing observes that women seem to be invisible in history.
* Doris' mother, Maude, is trained to be a nurse, and is assigned to a hospital where she falls in love with a young doctor.
* Dispatched to a ship, the doctor dies when the ship is torpedoed.
* When World War I begins, Lessing's father, Alfred is injured, and ends up in the same hospital where Maude works as a nurse.
* Alfred's injury requires the amputation of his leg, and he becomes depressed.
* Alfred and Maude fall in love and marry.
* Alfred is assigned to a position with the Bank in Kermanshah, Persia.
* Doris is born there in Persia in October of 1919.
* In Chapter 2, Lessing discusses the role of truth in autobiography.
* Lessing finds it easier to write the...
This section contains 3,933 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)