|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 21-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To carry ammunition to the front.
(b) To man a sentry post.
(c) To build emergency earthworks.
(d) To escort the wounded to the rear.
2. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
(a) A writhing mess.
(b) A screaming tree.
(c) A poorly butchered animal.
(d) A pool of misery.
3. What do the narrator and Poterloo do with the three Germans they come across while on their way to Sauchez?
(a) They let them go.
(b) They let them bury their dead.
(c) They take them prisoner.
(d) They kill them on the spot.
4. What does the German demand of God?
(a) That he end his life.
(b) The he spare the men in the refuge their pain.
(c) That he stop the shells.
(d) That he reveal his true name.
5. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(b) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
(c) Photographs of family and friends.
(d) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
2. While they are on leave, what does Volpatte remind the rest of the squad of?
3. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
4. The narrator compares Lamuse to what mythological figure?
5. Why does the old man who speaks to the soldiers leave angry?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)