|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
2. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
3. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
4. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
5. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)