|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
2. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
3. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
4. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
5. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)