|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
2. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
3. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
4. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
5. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)