|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
2. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
3. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
4. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
5. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of "Under A Cruel Star." What elements can be found within its pages to suggest it is an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)