Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
4. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
5. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Essay Topic 3
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)