|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
2. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
3. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
4. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
5. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)