Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
4. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
5. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)