Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
4. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
5. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)