|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
2. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
3. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
4. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
5. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)