|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
2. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
4. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
5. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss the genre of "Under A Cruel Star." What elements can be found within its pages to suggest it is an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the portrayal of the Nazi concentration camps in "Under A Cruel Star." What are some anecdotes that Kovály shares with the reader? What is Kovály's personal experience in the concentration camps like? How does she overcome this trying period in her life?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)