|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
2. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
3. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
4. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
5. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)