|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
2. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
3. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
4. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
5. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)