|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
2. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
3. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
4. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
5. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)