|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
2. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
3. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
4. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
5. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Holocaust. How is it portrayed in "Under A Cruel Star"? What is the Holocaust and why does it occur? What is Hitler's role in this horrific chapter in human history?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)