|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
2. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
3. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
4. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
5. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." What happens at the end of the story? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)