|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
2. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
3. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
4. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
5. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the Nazi concentration camps in "Under A Cruel Star." What are some anecdotes that Kovály shares with the reader? What is Kovály's personal experience in the concentration camps like? How does she overcome this trying period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of "Under A Cruel Star." What elements can be found within its pages to suggest it is an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)