|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
2. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
4. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
5. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Holocaust. How is it portrayed in "Under A Cruel Star"? What is the Holocaust and why does it occur? What is Hitler's role in this horrific chapter in human history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)