|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
2. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
3. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
4. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
5. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)