|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
2. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
3. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
4. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
5. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)