|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
2. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
3. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
4. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
5. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 3
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)