|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
2. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
3. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
4. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
5. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)