|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
2. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
3. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
4. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
5. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)