|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
2. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
3. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
4. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
5. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)