|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Kovály that her apartment might be bugged?
2. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
3. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
4. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
5. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Holocaust. How is it portrayed in "Under A Cruel Star"? What is the Holocaust and why does it occur? What is Hitler's role in this horrific chapter in human history?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)