|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
2. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
3. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
4. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
5. Who is Mrs. Machova?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
4. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
5. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
6. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
7. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
8. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
9. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
10. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)