|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
2. Who is Franz?
3. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
4. What is the reality of the Russian government?
5. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
2. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
3. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
4. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
5. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
6. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
7. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
8. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
9. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
10. By the time Margolius is arrested, how many citizens in total had been taken into custody, and what often happened to the families of arrested individuals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
Essay Topic 3
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)