|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
2. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
3. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
4. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
5. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
2. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
3. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
4. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. What treatment does Kovály receive following Margolius' arrest?
7. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
8. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
9. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
10. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the Nazi concentration camps in "Under A Cruel Star." What are some anecdotes that Kovály shares with the reader? What is Kovály's personal experience in the concentration camps like? How does she overcome this trying period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)