|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
2. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
3. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
4. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
5. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
4. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
5. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
6. What happens in Czechoslovakia as 1948 drew to a close?
7. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
8. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
9. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
10. What treatment does Kovály receive following Margolius' arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)