|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
2. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
3. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
4. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
5. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
2. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
3. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
4. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
5. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
6. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
7. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
8. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
9. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
10. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the Nazi concentration camps in "Under A Cruel Star." What are some anecdotes that Kovály shares with the reader? What is Kovály's personal experience in the concentration camps like? How does she overcome this trying period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writer's purpose for writing "Under A Cruel Star." What does she wish to convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)