|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
2. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Who is Mrs. Machova?
5. In which country is Kovály born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Prague in October of 1941?
2. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
3. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
4. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
5. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
6. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
7. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
8. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
9. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
10. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)