Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)