|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
2. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
3. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
4. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
2. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
3. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
4. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
5. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
6. What event does Margolius and Kovály attend in 1950, and who greeted them there?
7. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
8. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
9. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
10. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)