|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
2. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
3. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
4. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
5. In which city does Kovály grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
2. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
3. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
4. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
5. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
6. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
7. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
8. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
9. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
10. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." What happens at the end of the story? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)