|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
2. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
3. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
4. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
5. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
2. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
3. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
4. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
5. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
6. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
7. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
8. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
9. What event does Margolius and Kovály attend in 1950, and who greeted them there?
10. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)