|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
2. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
3. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
4. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
5. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
2. What does Kovály discover happened with Margolius' remains?
3. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
4. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
5. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
6. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
7. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
8. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
9. What happens in Prague in October of 1941?
10. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)