|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
2. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
3. In which city does Kovály grow up?
4. What is the reality of the Russian government?
5. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
2. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
3. What happens in Czechoslovakia as 1948 drew to a close?
4. What treatment does Kovály receive following Margolius' arrest?
5. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
6. What happens in Prague in October of 1941?
7. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
8. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
9. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
10. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)