|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
2. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
3. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
4. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
5. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
2. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
3. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
4. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
5. What event does Margolius and Kovály attend in 1950, and who greeted them there?
6. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
7. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
8. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
9. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
10. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)