|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
2. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
3. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
4. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
5. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
2. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
3. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
4. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
5. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
6. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
7. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
8. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
9. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
10. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)