|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
2. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
3. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
4. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
5. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
2. What complaint does Marta have about Vlada when Kovály met her?
3. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
4. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
5. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
6. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
7. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
8. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
9. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
10. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)