|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
2. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
3. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
4. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
5. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
2. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
3. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
4. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
5. What treatment does Kovály receive following Margolius' arrest?
6. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
7. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
8. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
9. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
10. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)