Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when KovÃ¡ly and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does KovÃ¡ly find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, KovÃ¡ly is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that KovÃ¡ly is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting KovÃ¡ly attended in 1967.
2. What happens to KovÃ¡ly's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends KovÃ¡ly after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does KovÃ¡ly say shapes her life?
7. What does KovÃ¡ly realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does KovÃ¡ly say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do KovÃ¡ly and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)