|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
2. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
3. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
4. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
5. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
2. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
3. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
4. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
5. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
6. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
7. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
8. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
9. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
10. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Nazi concentration camps in "Under A Cruel Star." What are some anecdotes that Kovály shares with the reader? What is Kovály's personal experience in the concentration camps like? How does she overcome this trying period in her life?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)