|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
2. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
3. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
4. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
5. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
2. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
3. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
4. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
5. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
6. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
7. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
8. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
9. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
10. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)