|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
2. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
3. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
4. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
5. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
2. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
3. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
4. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
5. What event does Margolius and Kovály attend in 1950, and who greeted them there?
6. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
7. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
8. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
9. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
10. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." What happens at the end of the story? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)