Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Essay Topic 1
What is the historical relevance of this story? Why is Kovály's story important to read about? What elements of this story are relevant and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)