Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. When does it occur and how does it affect Kovály? Why does the Soviet Bloc feel compelled to occupy Czechoslovakia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)