|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
2. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
3. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
4. In which city does Kovály grow up?
5. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
4. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
5. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
6. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
7. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
8. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
9. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
10. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kovály's first husband, Rudolf Margolius. How do they meet? What are Margolius' defining character traits? What is his job? What are his political beliefs? Why is he arrested? Why is Kovály's marriage to Margolius strained? Of What is Margolius accused? How does he die?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)