Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)