Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
2. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
9. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
10. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Iron Curtain. What is the Iron Curtain? What does the Iron Curtain have to do with Czechoslovakia? Does it affect Kovály directly? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of "Under A Cruel Star." What elements can be found within its pages to suggest it is an example of this genre?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)