|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
2. In which country is Kovály born?
3. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
4. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
5. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
2. How is Kovály treated differently at the hospital when it became known that her husband had been arrested?
3. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
4. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
5. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
6. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
7. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
8. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
9. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
10. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of "Under A Cruel Star." What elements can be found within its pages to suggest it is an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the memoir "Under A Cruel Star." How does Kovály portray her native country and what are her feelings about it? What problems is Czechoslovakia faced with throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)