|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jan Masaryk?
2. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
3. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
4. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
5. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
2. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
3. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
4. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
5. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
6. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
7. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
8. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
9. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
10. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of escape in "Under A Cruel Star." Describe Kovály's escape from the Nazis. How does she do this and is she successful? How does she later escape from occupied Czechoslovakia and where does she go? How does she feel about leaving her homeland?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of hope and hopelessness in "Under A Cruel Star." When does Kovály feel hopelessness? How does she cope with this feeling? What causes her to feel this way? How does she overcome this feeling? What brings her hope? How is she able to remain hopeful despite the awful situations she faces?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear and terror in "Under A Cruel Star." Of what is Kovály and the citizens of Czechoslovakia fearful? How is their fear conveyed to others? How does Kovály experience the fear of others? How does this fear affect her? Who is terrorizing Czechoslovakia and why? How are they spreading terror?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)