|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Franz?
2. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
3. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
4. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
5. Who is Jan Masaryk?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
2. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
3. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
4. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
5. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
6. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
7. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
8. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
9. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
10. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Hitler and Stalin in Kovály`s life. Who is Adolf Hitler and how does he affect Kovály`s life? Who is Stalin and how does he affect Kovály's life?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)