|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
2. In which city does Kovály grow up?
3. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
4. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
5. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kovály discover happened with Margolius' remains?
2. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
3. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
4. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
5. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
6. What complaint does Marta have about Vlada when Kovály met her?
7. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
8. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
9. How is Kovály treated differently at the hospital when it became known that her husband had been arrested?
10. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kovály's second husband, Pavel Kovály. How do they meet? What happens to Pavel after he marries Heda? Why does this happen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles that Kovály faces. How does she overcome these obstacles? Are the struggles similar to others in Czechoslovakia? If not, why is she experiencing them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Communism in Czechoslovakia from the 1940s until the 1960s. What are the beliefs of the Communist Party in Czechoslovakia? How do they gain power? What is "Victorious February"? What does Kovály think of Communism? What does her husband think of Communism? How does Communism affect their marriage and lives together?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)