|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
2. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
3. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
4. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
5. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
2. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
3. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
4. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
5. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
6. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
7. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
8. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
9. What do the Nazis do as the Russian army advance westward?
10. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Under A Cruel Star," Heda Margolius Kovály. What does the reader learn about Kovály by reading this book? What are her defining characteristics and how do these characteristics help her throughout her life? Why is her life worth reading about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)