|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
2. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
3. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
4. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
5. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
2. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
3. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
4. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
5. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
6. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
7. What does Kovály notice about the confessions issued by people arrested by the Communists?
8. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
9. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
10. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of ostracism in "Under a Cruel Star." How is Kovály ostracized throughout the narrative? Why is she ostracized? How does this ostracism affect her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Holocaust. How is it portrayed in "Under A Cruel Star"? What is the Holocaust and why does it occur? What is Hitler's role in this horrific chapter in human history?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss anti-Semitism in "Under A Cruel Star." In what way does Kovály face anti-Semitism and how does this sentiment affect her life? How does she handle this prejudice against her?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)