|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
(b) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(c) Pavel is fired.
(d) Ivan disapproves.
2. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) About one month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Three months.
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are heart-wrenching
(b) They are read in Russian.
(c) They are full of Party verbiage.
(d) They are sarcastic.
4. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(c) A feeling of freedom.
5. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) Freelance art work.
(b) Translation work.
(c) A position at a shoe store.
(d) An office assistant job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
2. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
3. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
4. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
5. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)