|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) The people reject the Communist system.
(b) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(d) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
2. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
(a) Seven hundred.
(b) Fifty thousand.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) One thousand.
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are sarcastic.
(b) They are heart-wrenching
(c) They are read in Russian.
(d) They are full of Party verbiage.
4. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
(a) To a small apartment in another city.
(b) To America.
(c) To live with his mother.
(d) To the attic of a friend's house.
5. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) A monetary fine.
(b) Ten years hard labor.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) The death penalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
2. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
3. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
4. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
5. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)