|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
2. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(b) The party refuses to let her.
(c) She cannot afford the moving fees.
(d) She is under house arrest.
3. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
(a) When they find out her husband has been arrested.
(b) When the hospital becomes over-crowded with patients.
(c) After Kovály loses her temper with a nurse.
(d) When it becomes clear she has no money.
4. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are growing apart.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are being watched and followed.
(d) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
5. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) She does not have the right paperwork.
(b) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(c) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
(d) She is a wanted fugitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Bartos?
2. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
3. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
4. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
5. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)