|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) Ten years hard labor.
(d) A monetary fine.
2. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(a) An intense pain.
(c) A chronic cough.
(d) A stomach ulcer.
3. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(b) That his arrest relates to state security.
(c) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(d) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
4. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
5. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(b) She does not have the right paperwork.
(c) She is a wanted fugitive.
(d) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
2. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
3. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
4. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
5. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)