|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media disappears.
(b) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(c) The media only reports Russian news.
(d) The media becomes controlled by the State.
2. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
(a) At a factory.
(b) At a dairy.
(c) At a nursery school.
(d) At a print shop.
3. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(b) For being unemployed.
(c) For conspiring with him.
(d) For plotting Margolius' escape.
4. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
(a) As unnerving.
(b) As having an air of freedom.
(c) As hostile as it had been during the Nazi occupation.
(d) As peaceful and calm.
5. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) Ethnic minorities.
(b) Middle-class professionals.
(c) The working poor.
(d) The wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
2. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
3. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
4. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
5. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)