|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(b) The media disappears.
(c) The media becomes controlled by the State.
(d) The media only reports Russian news.
2. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
(a) When it becomes clear she has no money.
(b) When they find out her husband has been arrested.
(c) After Kovály loses her temper with a nurse.
(d) When the hospital becomes over-crowded with patients.
3. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
(a) Making money.
(b) Party politics.
(c) Czech independence.
(d) Other people.
4. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(c) Great Britain.
5. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) Because of a currency devaluation.
(b) She is robbed.
(c) The Communists empty her bank account.
(d) She loans the money to friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Merenka?
2. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
3. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
4. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
5. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)