|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) Illusion and Liberty.
(b) Men of Clear Conscience.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Animal Farm.
2. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
(a) They play golf together.
(b) They have virtually no connection.
(c) They know each other as teenagers.
(d) They share an office.
3. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are growing apart.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are being watched and followed.
(d) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
4. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
5. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are heart-wrenching
(b) They are read in Russian.
(c) They are sarcastic.
(d) They are full of Party verbiage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
4. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
5. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)