|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) She is robbed.
(b) The Communists empty her bank account.
(c) She loans the money to friends.
(d) Because of a currency devaluation.
2. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(b) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(c) For conspiring with him.
(d) For being unemployed.
3. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) That his arrest relates to state security.
(b) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(c) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(d) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
4. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Put up posters.
(b) Lead a demonstration.
(c) Distribute leaflets.
(d) Participate in non-violent resistance.
5. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) A psychologist
(b) A pediatrician.
(c) An attorney.
(d) A surgeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
2. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
4. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
5. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)