|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Merenka?
(a) The Margolius' live-in assistant.
(b) Ivan's teacher.
(c) The Margolius' next-door neighbor.
(d) A Communist Party spy.
2. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) A Communist politician.
(b) A Russian diplomat.
(c) A resistance leader.
(d) Margolius' underling.
3. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) The Communists empty her bank account.
(b) She loans the money to friends.
(c) Because of a currency devaluation.
(d) She is robbed.
4. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Financial ruin.
(b) Termination of employment.
(c) Jail time.
(d) Official hazing.
5. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To put on weight.
(b) To study at a prestigious school.
(c) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(d) To recover from tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
2. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
3. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
4. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
5. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)