|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
(a) At a dairy.
(b) At a nursery school.
(c) At a print shop.
(d) At a factory.
2. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
(a) She becomes a teacher.
(b) English-language book translation.
(c) She becomes a librarian.
(d) She becomes a seamstress.
3. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media only reports Russian news.
(b) The media becomes controlled by the State.
(c) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(d) The media disappears.
4. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
(a) With pity.
(b) With hostility.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With concern.
5. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
(a) They are middle-level politicians.
(b) They are unmarried men.
(c) They are Jewish.
(d) They are former resistance members.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
2. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
3. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
4. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
5. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)