|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Plant flowers.
(b) Visit with friends.
(c) Enjoy the springtime.
(d) Visit the library.
2. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) Political discussions.
(b) The outside world.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her friends.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
4. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
(a) He falls into a coma and dies.
(b) He escapes from the ghetto.
(c) He is imprisoned by the Nazis.
(d) He is thrown a surprise party.
5. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(a) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(b) A prayer.
(d) A bank account number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
2. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
3. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
4. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
5. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
2. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
3. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
4. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
5. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
6. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
7. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
8. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
9. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
10. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)