|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country is Kovály born?
2. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The American army.
(d) The Canadian army.
3. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(a) Volunteer work.
(c) Argue about politics.
(d) Play cards.
4. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To America.
(b) To Ostrava.
(c) A better part of Prague.
(d) To the Soviet Union.
5. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Sitting in a cafe.
(c) At a church.
(d) Hiding in a train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
2. Who is Jan Masaryk?
3. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
4. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
5. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
2. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
3. What do the Nazis do as the Russian army advance westward?
4. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
5. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
6. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
7. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
8. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
9. What event does Margolius and Kovály attend in 1950, and who greeted them there?
10. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)