|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
(a) He is forced to do so.
(b) So that he will have more power to make changes.
(c) To get a pay raise.
(d) To impress his neighbors.
2. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Pawn their possessions.
(b) Loot and riot.
(c) Take all their money from the banks.
3. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A man.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A Red Cross worker.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
5. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For taking some of her money.
(b) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
(c) For turning her away when she needs help.
(d) For not being able to get her an apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
2. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
3. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
4. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
5. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
2. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
3. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
4. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
5. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
6. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
7. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
8. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
9. What treatment does Kovály receive following Margolius' arrest?
10. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)