|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(d) Mrs. Machova.
2. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) With hostility.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With great deference.
(d) With affection.
3. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Soviets.
(d) The Americans.
4. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He treats her like a friend.
(b) He is physically abusive.
(c) He is verbally abusive.
(d) He treats her with fatherly concern.
5. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are collectivized.
(b) They were nationalized.
(c) They are shut-down.
(d) They are unionized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
2. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
3. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
4. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
5. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
2. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
3. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
4. What do the Nazis do as the Russian army advance westward?
5. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
6. What does Kovály discover happened with Margolius' remains?
7. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
8. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
9. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
10. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)