|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The American army.
2. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(b) They build road blocks.
(c) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
(d) They embrace the return.
3. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Child workers.
(b) The elderly and destitute.
(c) Illegal immigrants.
(d) Convicted criminals.
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Physical labor.
(b) Cleaning duties.
(c) Drafting of maps.
(d) Food preparation.
5. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
(b) Employment opportunities.
Short Answer Questions
1. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
2. Who greets Kovály at Ruda's home?
3. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
4. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
5. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
2. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
3. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
4. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
5. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
6. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
7. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
8. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
9. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
10. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)