|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(b) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(c) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(d) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
2. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
(a) He is forced to do so.
(b) To get a pay raise.
(c) To impress his neighbors.
(d) So that he will have more power to make changes.
3. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A train station.
(b) A farmer's field.
(c) A barn.
(d) A country inn.
4. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
(a) It is partially dismantled.
(b) It is fortified.
(c) It is disguised as a factory.
(d) It is burned.
5. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
(a) Her God parents.
(b) Her family.
(c) An elderly woman.
(d) A group of girls around her age.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
2. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
3. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
4. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
5. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
2. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
3. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
4. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
5. By the time Margolius is arrested, how many citizens in total had been taken into custody, and what often happened to the families of arrested individuals?
6. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
7. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
8. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
9. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
10. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)