|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
(a) Toilet paper.
2. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are unionized.
(b) They are shut-down.
(c) They are collectivized.
(d) They were nationalized.
3. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
(a) To get a pay raise.
(b) To impress his neighbors.
(c) So that he will have more power to make changes.
(d) He is forced to do so.
4. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(c) A young Jewish woman.
5. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She is visited by a former classmate.
(d) She collapses with a fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
2. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
3. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
4. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
5. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
2. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
3. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
4. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
5. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
6. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
7. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
8. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
9. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
10. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)