|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(b) A bank account number.
(c) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(d) A prayer.
2. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He is verbally abusive.
(b) He is physically abusive.
(c) He treats her like a friend.
(d) He treats her with fatherly concern.
3. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
(a) Her family.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) A group of girls around her age.
(d) Her God parents.
4. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is gassed.
(c) She is assigned factory work.
(d) She is redirected to another camp.
5. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) The local Rabbi.
(b) Rudolf Margolius.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
2. In which city does Kovály grow up?
3. How does Kovály travel to Prague after reaching the outskirts of the city?
4. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
5. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
2. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
3. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
4. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
5. How is Kovály treated differently at the hospital when it became known that her husband had been arrested?
6. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
7. What complaint does Marta have about Vlada when Kovály met her?
8. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
9. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
10. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)