|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
2. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
(a) A paradise.
(b) As tumultuous.
(c) As stable.
(d) As a failure.
3. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
4. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The American army.
5. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(b) A bank account number.
(c) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(d) A prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
2. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
3. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
4. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
5. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
2. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
3. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
4. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
5. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
6. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
7. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
8. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
9. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
10. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)