|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) A factory job.
(c) A farming job.
(d) A banking job.
2. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It rules fairly.
(b) It has no real power.
(c) It rules with terror.
(d) It rules prosperously.
3. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
4. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(b) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(c) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(d) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
5. Who is Mrs. Machova?
(a) Kovály's disapproving neighbor.
(b) Ivan Kovály's teacher.
(c) Kovály's housekeeper.
(d) A friend who looks after Kovály's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
2. What group does Margolius join after the war?
3. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
4. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
5. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
2. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
3. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
4. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
5. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
6. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
7. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
8. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
9. What does Kovály notice about the confessions issued by people arrested by the Communists?
10. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)