|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A barn.
(b) A train station.
(c) A country inn.
(d) A farmer's field.
2. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For not being able to get her an apartment.
(b) For taking some of her money.
(c) For turning her away when she needs help.
(d) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
3. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It rules fairly.
(b) It has no real power.
(c) It rules with terror.
(d) It rules prosperously.
4. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Russian army.
(b) The American army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The Romanian army.
5. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Physical labor.
(b) Drafting of maps.
(c) Food preparation.
(d) Cleaning duties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
2. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
4. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
5. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kovály realize by attending Communist Party meetings?
2. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
3. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
4. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
5. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
6. What happens in Prague in October of 1941?
7. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
8. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
9. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
10. What does Kovály do during her five months being hidden by the resistance?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)