|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
2. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Hitler and Stalin.
(b) Her God-mother and God-father.
(c) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
(d) Lenin and Marx.
3. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With affection.
(c) With great deference.
(d) With hostility.
4. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(b) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(c) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(d) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
5. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(c) Production artist.
(d) Art editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
2. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
3. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
4. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
5. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
2. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
3. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
4. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
5. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
6. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
7. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
8. After her husband is arrested, what do state policemen come to her apartment to do?
9. Describe the mass meeting Kovály attended in 1967.
10. What does Kovály discover happened with Margolius' remains?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)