|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(b) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(c) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(d) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
2. In which city does Kovály grow up?
3. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) Long roll calls.
(b) Exercise sessions.
(c) Coffee and donuts.
(d) An execution.
4. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
(b) They build road blocks.
(c) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(d) They embrace the return.
5. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Loot and riot.
(c) Take all their money from the banks.
(d) Pawn their possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
2. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
3. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
4. What group does Margolius join after the war?
5. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
2. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
3. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
4. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
5. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
6. Where does Kovály find work in 1946?
7. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
8. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
9. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
10. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)