|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
(b) Hitler and Stalin.
(c) Lenin and Marx.
(d) Her God-mother and God-father.
2. Who is Jan Masaryk?
(a) Regional Party Secretary.
(b) Margolius' assistant.
(c) The Foreign Minister.
(d) Deputy Minister of National Defense.
3. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To Ostrava.
(b) A better part of Prague.
(c) To the Soviet Union.
(d) To America.
4. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
5. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(a) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A bank account number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
2. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
3. In which city does Kovály grow up?
4. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
5. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
2. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
3. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
4. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
5. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
6. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
7. Why do Kovály and her friends decide to try to escape the camp guards?
8. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
9. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
10. Where is Kovály's family when the Soviet occupation occurred?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)