|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Eva?
(a) A young and frail camp inmate.
(b) Kovály's cousin.
(c) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
(d) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
2. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He is indifferent to his role.
(b) He does his work without conviction.
(c) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(d) He is devoted to it.
3. Who is Mrs. Machova?
(a) Ivan Kovály's teacher.
(b) Kovály's disapproving neighbor.
(c) Kovály's housekeeper.
(d) A friend who looks after Kovály's son.
4. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
5. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
2. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
3. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
4. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
5. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kovály say many industrialists are unaware of during the war?
2. What happens to the people who return to Prague from concentration camps after the war?
3. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
4. What is life like for Kovály as a slave laborer at Auschwitz?
5. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
6. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
7. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
8. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
9. What is Kovály's last meeting with Margolius like?
10. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)