|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
2. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) An artist.
(c) A writer.
(d) A physician.
3. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
4. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
(a) Anything that could be construed as disloyal to the party.
(b) Overhearing political discussions.
(c) Wearing unfashionable clothing.
(d) Leaving their houses after dark.
5. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(a) None of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
2. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
3. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
4. Who is Mrs. Machova?
5. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Nazis do as the Russian army advance westward?
2. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
3. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
4. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
5. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
6. After Margolius' arrest, what contributed to Kovály's bad health?
7. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
8. What happens when Nikita Khruschchev came to power in the Soviet Union?
9. How does Kovály describe Margolius' work ethic?
10. At the beginning of the book, what does Kovály say shapes her life?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)