|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) Rudolf Margolius.
(d) Mrs. Machova.
2. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(b) The borders are closed.
(c) The borders are reopened.
(d) The borders are extended.
3. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) The Písek Gate.
(b) The Lesser Quarter.
(c) St. Wenceslas Square.
(d) The Old New Synagogue.
4. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(a) Production artist.
(b) Art editor.
5. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about job opportunities abroad.
(b) News about political corruption in the city.
(c) News about family members who survive the war.
(d) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
2. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
4. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
5. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
2. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
3. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
4. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
5. What does Kovály notice about the confessions issued by people arrested by the Communists?
6. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
7. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
8. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
9. What is life like for Kovály in the ghetto?
10. What happens in Czechoslovakia as 1948 drew to a close?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)