|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Sixteen hours.
(b) Twenty hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Eleven hours.
2. Who is Eva?
(a) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
(b) Kovály's cousin.
(c) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(d) A young and frail camp inmate.
3. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
(b) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(c) They receive help from a Greman officer.
(d) They follow a river out of Germany.
4. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
(d) Roman Catholics.
5. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
(a) The Lublin Ghetto.
(b) The Vilna Ghetto.
(c) The Lvóv Ghetto.
(d) The Lodz Ghetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jan Masaryk?
2. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
3. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
4. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
5. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what occurrs in Czechoslovakia in the spring of 1968.
2. What brought the war to a conclusion for Kovály personally?
3. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
4. What happens economically in the spring of 1953?
5. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
6. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
7. What does Margolius have to say in his court statements?
8. By the time Margolius is arrested, how many citizens in total had been taken into custody, and what often happened to the families of arrested individuals?
9. What do the Nazis do as the Russian army advance westward?
10. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)