|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
(a) It was more successful than it was in Russia.
(b) That is would be no different than it was in Russia.
(c) It would fail within months.
(d) It was incorruptable.
2. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The American army.
3. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) Political discussions.
(b) Her friends.
(c) The outside world.
(d) Her son.
4. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Food preparation.
(b) Drafting of maps.
(c) Cleaning duties.
(d) Physical labor.
5. How does Kovály travel to Prague after reaching the outskirts of the city?
(a) By streetcar.
(b) By bicycle.
(c) By taxi.
(d) By row boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
2. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
3. Why does Margolius accept a high-ranking government job?
4. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
5. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What minor miracle does Bartos achieve for Kovály which enabled her to visit a hospital?
2. What response does Kovály get when she asks her friends in Prague for help?
3. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
4. What does an old friend in the country encourage Margolius to do?
5. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
6. Following her meeting with the Party committee in 1963, what does Kovály make efforts to have done?
7. How does Kovály describe the feeling in Prague by the middle of 1951?
8. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
9. What is contained in the note that Ruda sends Kovály after she settles in his apartment?
10. What do the Communists admit about the confessions made by political prisoners?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)