|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Rudolf Margolius.
2. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The American army.
(b) The British army.
(c) The Chinese army.
(d) The Russian army.
3. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
4. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) St. Wenceslas Square.
(b) The Písek Gate.
(c) The Old New Synagogue.
(d) The Lesser Quarter.
5. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He does his work without conviction.
(b) He is indifferent to his role.
(c) He is devoted to it.
(d) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
2. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
4. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
5. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kovály's difficulties in obtaining a death certificate for Margolius.
2. How does Kovály secure herself an apartment following the war?
3. What happens when the Lodz Ghetto is liquidated?
4. Who is arrested in November 1951 and how does it affect Margolius?
5. What happens economically in Prague shortly after the war's end?
6. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
7. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
8. After May 5th, 1945, what does Kovály observe in the final hours of the fight against the Germans?
9. After Margolius' death, why does Kovály worry that she would be arrested?
10. Why is Kovály summoned before a Party committee in 1963?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)