|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are imprisoned.
(b) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
(c) They are returned to their homes.
(d) They are turned to the streets.
2. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A rabid dog.
(b) A loan shark.
(c) A fire.
(d) A Nazi officer.
3. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A farmer's field.
(b) A barn.
(c) A country inn.
(d) A train station.
4. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) The local Rabbi.
(d) Rudolf Margolius.
5. Who is Jan Masaryk?
(a) Regional Party Secretary.
(b) The Foreign Minister.
(c) Margolius' assistant.
(d) Deputy Minister of National Defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does Kovály grow up?
2. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
3. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
4. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
5. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Czec soldiers will not let Kovaly leave becuase she does not have the correct paperwork?
2. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
3. How does Kovály keep up to date with Margolius' trial when she is in the hospital?
4. Why is Kovály hesitant to get involved with the Communist Party?
5. What happens in Czechoslovakia as 1948 drew to a close?
6. How does Kovály get back to Prague?
7. How does Machova intervene when the Communists sent a team in to catalogue Kovály's possessions for later seizure?
8. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
9. What is the Czechoslovakian economy like around 1950-51?
10. What examples of hardships in the ghetto does Kovály describe?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)