|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
2. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Americans.
(c) Nazi Germany.
(d) The Soviets.
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Planning to create job opportunities.
(b) Volunteer work.
(c) Widespread corruption.
(d) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
4. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) The outside world.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Political discussions.
5. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(a) Volunteer work.
(b) Play cards.
(c) Argue about politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
2. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
3. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
4. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
5. Who is Jan Masaryk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kovály and Margolius able to communicate after his arrest?
2. What happens as Kovály and her friends make their escape from the barn where the camp inmates are staying?
3. What does Kovály remember about a Nazi guard named Franz?
4. How is Kovály treated differently at the hospital when it became known that her husband had been arrested?
5. Why is Communism appealing to the Czech people after the war?
6. What complaint does Marta have about Vlada when Kovály met her?
7. Of what does Kovály discover the politicians wives are fearful?
8. How does the Margolius' lives change after Rudolf accepts a high-ranking government job?
9. What happens to Kovály's family at Auschwitz?
10. What is said to have been the main topic of discussion for out of work Czechs after the war?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)