|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) She loans the money to friends.
(b) She is robbed.
(c) Because of a currency devaluation.
(d) The Communists empty her bank account.
2. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
3. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) Men of Clear Conscience.
(c) Illusion and Liberty.
(d) Animal Farm.
4. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To study at a prestigious school.
(b) To recover from tuberculosis.
(c) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(d) To put on weight.
5. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
(a) Forget she ever knew him.
(b) Leave Czechoslovakia.
(c) Help his escape.
6. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(d) The people reject the Communist system.
7. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(a) Ivan Kovály.
(b) Rudolf Slánský.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
8. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(d) For being unemployed.
9. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(b) Pavel Kovály.
(c) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Pavel Eisner.
10. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) The working poor.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) Middle-class professionals.
(d) Ethnic minorities.
11. Who comes to power in 1956?
(a) Nikolai Bulganin.
(b) Alexey Kosygin.
(c) Nikita Khruschchev.
(d) Iosef Stalin.
12. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
13. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Official hazing.
(b) Jail time.
(c) Termination of employment.
(d) Financial ruin.
14. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(b) Jewish cultural items.
(c) Items made of silver.
(d) Documents and cash.
15. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Kovály herself.
(d) Pavel Kovály.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
2. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
3. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
4. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
5. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)