|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(d) A feeling of freedom.
2. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
(a) As unnerving.
(b) As hostile as it had been during the Nazi occupation.
(c) As peaceful and calm.
(d) As having an air of freedom.
3. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A mattress.
(b) An icebox.
(c) A stove.
(d) A radio.
4. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are growing apart.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
(d) They are being watched and followed.
5. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She reacts with fury.
6. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(b) Marenka pays for the treatment.
(c) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(d) Marenka causes a public scene.
7. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
8. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) On his way to England.
(b) In the countryside.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In Romania.
9. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To support her.
(b) To rescue her from Prague.
(c) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(d) To clear his father's name.
10. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media only reports Russian news.
(b) The media disappears.
(c) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(d) The media becomes controlled by the State.
11. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is guilty.
(b) He is lost.
(c) He is still alive.
(d) He is rehabilitated.
12. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
13. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) An attorney.
(b) A pediatrician.
(c) A surgeon.
(d) A psychologist
14. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) Great Britain.
15. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) Once a month, via a letter.
(b) By visiting him every other day.
(c) Via a monthly telegram.
(d) Over weekly telephone calls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
2. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
3. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
4. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
5. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)