|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The people reject the Communist system.
(c) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
2. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) A Russian diplomat.
(b) A Communist politician.
(c) A resistance leader.
(d) Margolius' underling.
3. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) Ten years hard labor.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A monetary fine.
(d) The death penalty.
4. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
(b) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(c) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(d) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
5. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(b) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
(c) They are buried in a mass grave.
(d) They are dumped into a lake.
6. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
(a) An infection.
(b) Suffocation by hanging.
(c) Natural causes.
(d) Heart failure.
7. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) Because of a currency devaluation.
(b) She loans the money to friends.
(c) She is robbed.
(d) The Communists empty her bank account.
8. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) Great Britain.
9. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
10. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Three months.
11. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
(c) Personnel changes.
(d) Mass demonstrations.
12. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(c) A kidney stone.
13. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) The Communist Party's.
(b) A notary public's.
(c) A doctor's.
(d) A lawyer's.
14. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
(a) The harvest.
(b) A public building project.
(c) A friend's anniversary party.
(d) A Communist rally.
15. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) Over weekly telephone calls.
(b) By visiting him every other day.
(c) Via a monthly telegram.
(d) Once a month, via a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
2. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
3. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
4. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
5. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)