|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) In the United States.
(b) On his way to England.
(c) In Romania.
(d) In the countryside.
2. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That it is not her husband speaking.
(b) That he is holding back tears.
(c) That he sounds ill.
(d) That it is a memorized speech.
3. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(c) The people reject the Communist system.
(d) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
4. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(b) Pavel Eisler.
(c) Ivan Kovály.
(d) Rudolf Slánský.
5. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(b) At a courthouse.
(c) At a prison.
(d) At their apartment.
6. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
7. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) Wait in long lines.
(b) Go to a central city market.
(c) File a request with local authorities.
(d) Order via catalogue.
8. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
(a) The harvest.
(b) A friend's anniversary party.
(c) A Communist rally.
(d) A public building project.
9. Who comes to power in 1956?
(a) Nikita Khruschchev.
(b) Iosef Stalin.
(c) Alexey Kosygin.
(d) Nikolai Bulganin.
10. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) Margolius' underling.
(b) A Communist politician.
(c) A resistance leader.
(d) A Russian diplomat.
11. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(b) Pavel Kovály.
(d) Pavel Eisner.
12. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(b) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(c) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(d) That his arrest relates to state security.
13. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) A pediatrician.
(b) A psychologist
(c) A surgeon.
(d) An attorney.
14. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To recover from tuberculosis.
(b) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(c) To put on weight.
(d) To study at a prestigious school.
15. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) Ivan disapproves.
(b) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
(c) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(d) Pavel is fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
2. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
3. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
4. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
5. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)