|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
(a) Natural causes.
(b) Suffocation by hanging.
(c) An infection.
(d) Heart failure.
2. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(b) That his arrest relates to state security.
(c) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(d) It indicates that he is Jewish.
3. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(d) For being unemployed.
4. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
(a) With pity.
(b) With hostility.
(c) With concern.
(d) With indifference.
5. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
(a) Making money.
(b) Czech independence.
(c) Party politics.
(d) Other people.
6. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
(b) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(c) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(d) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
7. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) She loans the money to friends.
(b) Because of a currency devaluation.
(c) The Communists empty her bank account.
(d) She is robbed.
8. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
(a) Forget she ever knew him.
(b) Help his escape.
(d) Leave Czechoslovakia.
9. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
(b) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
(d) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
10. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
(a) Through a friend.
(b) Over the radio.
(c) At work.
(d) While walking through a crowd.
11. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(a) Items made of silver.
(c) Documents and cash.
(d) Jewish cultural items.
12. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) Ten years hard labor.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A monetary fine.
(d) The death penalty.
13. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
14. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A lawyer's.
(b) The Communist Party's.
(c) A doctor's.
(d) A notary public's.
15. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(b) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(c) The people reject the Communist system.
(d) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
2. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
3. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
4. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
5. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)