|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
(a) The Party admits that the confessions were true.
(b) The Party admits that the confessions were exaggerations.
(c) The Party admits that the confessions were forced.
(d) The Party admits that the confessions were ironic.
2. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
(a) To the attic of a friend's house.
(b) To a small apartment in another city.
(c) To America.
(d) To live with his mother.
3. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At their apartment.
(b) At a courthouse.
(c) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(d) At a prison.
4. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
5. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
(a) Kovály devotes herself to Communism.
(b) Kovály dyes her clothing black.
(c) Kovály writes letters to long-lost friends and family.
(d) Kovály learns to speak Russian.
6. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A mattress.
(b) An icebox.
(c) A stove.
(d) A radio.
7. What anniversary celebration does Kovály and Margolius attend in 1950?
(a) The anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution.
(b) The anniversary of Karl Marx's birth.
(c) The anniversary of Gottwald's appointment as Prime Minister.
(d) The anniversary of Victorious February.
8. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
(b) Help his escape.
(c) Forget she ever knew him.
(d) Leave Czechoslovakia.
9. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
(b) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
(d) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
10. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are read in Russian.
(b) They are full of Party verbiage.
(c) They are sarcastic.
(d) They are heart-wrenching
11. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(b) Items made of silver.
(c) Jewish cultural items.
(d) Documents and cash.
12. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) By visiting him every other day.
(b) Via a monthly telegram.
(c) Once a month, via a letter.
(d) Over weekly telephone calls.
13. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) A death certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) Her birth certificate.
(d) Her husband's will.
14. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(b) To clear his father's name.
(c) To support her.
(d) To rescue her from Prague.
15. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
(a) They have virtually no connection.
(b) They know each other as teenagers.
(c) They play golf together.
(d) They share an office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
2. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
3. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
4. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
5. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)