|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) Via a monthly telegram.
(b) By visiting him every other day.
(c) Once a month, via a letter.
(d) Over weekly telephone calls.
2. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is guilty.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He is rehabilitated.
(d) He is lost.
3. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
(a) Kovály devotes herself to Communism.
(b) Kovály learns to speak Russian.
(c) Kovály writes letters to long-lost friends and family.
(d) Kovály dyes her clothing black.
4. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To rescue her from Prague.
(b) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(c) To support her.
(d) To clear his father's name.
5. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Kovály herself.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
6. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
7. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Middle-class professionals.
(c) The working poor.
(d) Ethnic minorities.
8. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) She is a wanted fugitive.
(b) She does not have the right paperwork.
(c) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
(d) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
9. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
(a) Implement a stricter educational system.
(b) Trade goods with Western countries.
(c) Release political prisoners.
(d) Sever all ties with the Soviet Union.
10. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) An attorney.
(b) A pediatrician.
(c) A surgeon.
(d) A psychologist
11. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(b) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(c) That his arrest relates to state security.
(d) It indicates that he is Jewish.
12. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
(a) They arrange a lawyer for Margolius.
(b) They sever all relations to Kovály.
(c) They send food and money to Kovály.
(d) They stage a protest.
13. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) A riot takes place.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
14. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(a) Pavel Eisler.
(c) Rudolf Slánský.
(d) Ivan Kovály.
15. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
(b) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
(d) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
2. Who suggests to Kovály that her apartment might be bugged?
3. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
4. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
5. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)