|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) A death certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) Her husband's will.
(d) Her birth certificate.
2. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) That his arrest relates to state security.
(b) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(c) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(d) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
3. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That he is holding back tears.
(b) That it is a memorized speech.
(c) That it is not her husband speaking.
(d) That he sounds ill.
4. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) On his way to England.
(b) In Romania.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In the countryside.
5. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(d) A kidney stone.
6. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
(a) She reacts with fury.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is sad.
7. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) A position at a shoe store.
(b) Translation work.
(c) An office assistant job.
(d) Freelance art work.
8. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) The Communists empty her bank account.
(b) Because of a currency devaluation.
(c) She loans the money to friends.
(d) She is robbed.
9. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) Men of Clear Conscience.
(b) Animal Farm.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Illusion and Liberty.
10. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(b) The party refuses to let her.
(c) She cannot afford the moving fees.
(d) She is under house arrest.
11. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(c) Great Britain.
12. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) Once a month, via a letter.
(b) By visiting him every other day.
(c) Via a monthly telegram.
(d) Over weekly telephone calls.
13. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Participate in non-violent resistance.
(b) Put up posters.
(c) Lead a demonstration.
(d) Distribute leaflets.
14. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Kovály herself.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
(d) Mrs. Machova.
15. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
(d) The Soviet Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
2. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
3. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
4. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
5. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)