|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
(a) Stuffing envelopes.
(b) Painting figurines.
(c) Weaving scarves.
(d) Assembling slippers.
2. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For conspiring with him.
(b) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(c) For being unemployed.
(d) For plotting Margolius' escape.
3. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
(a) They are unmarried men.
(b) They are Jewish.
(c) They are former resistance members.
(d) They are middle-level politicians.
4. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(b) Rudolf Slánský.
(c) Ivan Kovály.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
5. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(b) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(c) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
(d) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
6. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
(a) English-language book translation.
(b) She becomes a teacher.
(c) She becomes a librarian.
(d) She becomes a seamstress.
7. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(b) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(c) That his arrest relates to state security.
(d) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
8. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(b) A riot takes place.
(c) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
9. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three months.
(d) One year.
10. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A monetary fine.
(d) Ten years hard labor.
11. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) American troops.
(b) German troops.
(c) Japanese troops.
(d) Soviet bloc troops.
12. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
(b) She does not have the right paperwork.
(c) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(d) She is a wanted fugitive.
13. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is rehabilitated.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He is lost.
(d) He is guilty.
14. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(b) Pavel Eisner.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
(d) Mrs. Machova.
15. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) Because of a currency devaluation.
(b) She loans the money to friends.
(c) The Communists empty her bank account.
(d) She is robbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
2. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
3. Who is Dr. Bartos?
4. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
5. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)