|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(d) A feeling of freedom.
2. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
(a) Kovály learns to speak Russian.
(b) Kovály devotes herself to Communism.
(c) Kovály writes letters to long-lost friends and family.
(d) Kovály dyes her clothing black.
3. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(a) Documents and cash.
(b) Jewish cultural items.
(d) Items made of silver.
4. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At a prison.
(b) At their apartment.
(c) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(d) At a courthouse.
5. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
(a) The Party admits that the confessions were true.
(b) The Party admits that the confessions were exaggerations.
(c) The Party admits that the confessions were ironic.
(d) The Party admits that the confessions were forced.
6. Who comes to power in 1956?
(a) Nikita Khruschchev.
(b) Iosef Stalin.
(c) Alexey Kosygin.
(d) Nikolai Bulganin.
7. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
(a) Release political prisoners.
(b) Sever all ties with the Soviet Union.
(c) Implement a stricter educational system.
(d) Trade goods with Western countries.
8. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are growing apart.
(d) They are being watched and followed.
9. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
(b) Personnel changes.
(d) Mass demonstrations.
10. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
(a) She becomes a teacher.
(b) She becomes a librarian.
(c) She becomes a seamstress.
(d) English-language book translation.
11. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For being unemployed.
(d) For plotting Margolius' escape.
12. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(c) A kidney stone.
13. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) She is under house arrest.
(b) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(c) The party refuses to let her.
(d) She cannot afford the moving fees.
14. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) Order via catalogue.
(b) File a request with local authorities.
(c) Wait in long lines.
(d) Go to a central city market.
15. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) In Romania.
(b) On his way to England.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) In the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
2. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
3. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
4. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
5. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)