|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
(a) The economy slows to a crawl.
(b) The economy booms.
(c) The economy grows by fifty percent.
(d) Economic activity returns to its pre-war levels.
2. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Three months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Seven months.
3. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) By visiting him every other day.
(b) Over weekly telephone calls.
(c) Via a monthly telegram.
(d) Once a month, via a letter.
4. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(d) A feeling of freedom.
5. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(b) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(c) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(d) That his arrest relates to state security.
6. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
(a) The Party admits that the confessions were ironic.
(b) The Party admits that the confessions were true.
(c) The Party admits that the confessions were forced.
(d) The Party admits that the confessions were exaggerations.
7. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Distribute leaflets.
(b) Lead a demonstration.
(c) Participate in non-violent resistance.
(d) Put up posters.
8. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) She does not have the right paperwork.
(b) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(c) She is a wanted fugitive.
(d) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
9. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
(b) Pavel is fired.
(c) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(d) Ivan disapproves.
10. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(b) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(c) For conspiring with him.
(d) For being unemployed.
11. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is still alive.
(b) He is lost.
(c) He is rehabilitated.
(d) He is guilty.
12. What anniversary celebration does Kovály and Margolius attend in 1950?
(a) The anniversary of Victorious February.
(b) The anniversary of Karl Marx's birth.
(c) The anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution.
(d) The anniversary of Gottwald's appointment as Prime Minister.
13. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(b) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(c) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(d) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
14. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
15. Who suggests to Kovály that her apartment might be bugged?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
2. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
3. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
4. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
5. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)