|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
2. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
3. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(a) Rudolf Slánský.
(c) Ivan Kovály.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
4. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka causes a public scene.
(b) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(c) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(d) Marenka pays for the treatment.
5. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(b) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(c) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(d) That his arrest relates to state security.
6. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(b) To put on weight.
(c) To recover from tuberculosis.
(d) To study at a prestigious school.
7. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) Ten thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Seven hundred.
8. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) A monetary fine.
(b) The death penalty.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) Ten years hard labor.
9. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) They are buried in a mass grave.
(b) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(c) They are dumped into a lake.
(d) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
10. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) A pediatrician.
(b) An attorney.
(c) A surgeon.
(d) A psychologist
11. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media disappears.
(b) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(c) The media becomes controlled by the State.
(d) The media only reports Russian news.
12. Who is Merenka?
(a) The Margolius' next-door neighbor.
(b) The Margolius' live-in assistant.
(c) A Communist Party spy.
(d) Ivan's teacher.
13. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Put up posters.
(b) Lead a demonstration.
(c) Distribute leaflets.
(d) Participate in non-violent resistance.
14. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) A death certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) Her husband's will.
(d) Her birth certificate.
15. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
4. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
5. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)