|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(a) Rudolf Slánský.
(b) Ivan Kovály.
(c) Pavel Eisler.
2. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Participate in non-violent resistance.
(b) Distribute leaflets.
(c) Put up posters.
(d) Lead a demonstration.
3. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By car.
(b) By boat.
(c) By bus.
(d) By train.
4. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) American troops.
(b) Japanese troops.
(c) German troops.
(d) Soviet bloc troops.
5. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A radio.
(b) A mattress.
(c) A stove.
(d) An icebox.
6. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
(a) At a nursery school.
(b) At a dairy.
(c) At a factory.
(d) At a print shop.
7. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
8. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) A monetary fine.
(b) Ten years hard labor.
(c) The death penalty.
(d) Life in prison.
9. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She reacts with fury.
10. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
(a) When it becomes clear she has no money.
(b) When the hospital becomes over-crowded with patients.
(c) When they find out her husband has been arrested.
(d) After Kovály loses her temper with a nurse.
11. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
12. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(c) A feeling of freedom.
13. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Three months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Twelve months.
14. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) A riot takes place.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
15. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
2. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
3. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
4. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
5. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)