|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
(a) Assembling slippers.
(b) Painting figurines.
(c) Stuffing envelopes.
(d) Weaving scarves.
2. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) Three months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) About one month.
3. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
4. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(a) Pavel Kovály.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Pavel Eisner.
5. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
6. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
(a) Over the radio.
(b) At work.
(c) While walking through a crowd.
(d) Through a friend.
7. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A doctor's.
(b) A lawyer's.
(c) A notary public's.
(d) The Communist Party's.
8. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
(a) They are middle-level politicians.
(b) They are unmarried men.
(c) They are Jewish.
(d) They are former resistance members.
9. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
10. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
11. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(a) A chronic cough.
(c) An intense pain.
(d) A stomach ulcer.
12. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
(a) To confiscate her money.
(b) To catalogue her possessions.
(c) To seize documents.
(d) To arrest Kovály.
13. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) On his way to England.
(b) In Romania.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In the countryside.
14. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) Men of Clear Conscience.
(c) Illusion and Liberty.
(d) Animal Farm.
15. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(a) A kidney stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
2. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
3. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
4. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
5. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)