|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
(a) Through a friend.
(b) Over the radio.
(c) At work.
(d) While walking through a crowd.
2. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) Because of a currency devaluation.
(b) She loans the money to friends.
(c) She is robbed.
(d) The Communists empty her bank account.
3. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She reacts with fury.
(d) She is relieved.
4. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
(a) Party politics.
(b) Making money.
(c) Czech independence.
(d) Other people.
5. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) Ten years hard labor.
(b) A monetary fine.
(c) The death penalty.
(d) Life in prison.
6. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) About one month.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two weeks.
7. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Three months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Seven months.
8. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(c) The people reject the Communist system.
(d) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
9. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
(a) Suffocation by hanging.
(b) Natural causes.
(c) An infection.
(d) Heart failure.
10. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(c) Great Britain.
11. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
(a) To seize documents.
(b) To confiscate her money.
(c) To catalogue her possessions.
(d) To arrest Kovály.
12. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By train.
(b) By bus.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
13. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
14. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are being watched and followed.
(d) They are growing apart.
15. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) The working poor.
(b) Middle-class professionals.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) Ethnic minorities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to power in 1956?
2. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
3. Who is Dr. Bartos?
4. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
5. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)