|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) She does not have the right paperwork.
(b) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(c) She is a wanted fugitive.
(d) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
2. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(b) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(c) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(d) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
3. Who is Merenka?
(a) A Communist Party spy.
(b) The Margolius' live-in assistant.
(c) Ivan's teacher.
(d) The Margolius' next-door neighbor.
4. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
(a) To live with his mother.
(b) To a small apartment in another city.
(c) To America.
(d) To the attic of a friend's house.
5. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
(a) Spending money on rebuilding Prague.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Equal rights for women.
(d) Democratic ideals.
6. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A lawyer's.
(b) A notary public's.
(c) The Communist Party's.
(d) A doctor's.
7. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) Soviet bloc troops.
(b) Japanese troops.
(c) American troops.
(d) German troops.
8. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
(b) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
(d) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
9. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(b) Ivan Kovály.
(c) Rudolf Slánský.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
10. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
(a) After Kovály loses her temper with a nurse.
(b) When they find out her husband has been arrested.
(c) When it becomes clear she has no money.
(d) When the hospital becomes over-crowded with patients.
11. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
(c) The Soviet Union.
12. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are being watched and followed.
(b) They are running out of money.
(c) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
(d) They are growing apart.
13. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
(a) At a factory.
(b) At a print shop.
(c) At a nursery school.
(d) At a dairy.
14. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) About one month.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Three months.
15. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
(a) Natural causes.
(b) Suffocation by hanging.
(c) Heart failure.
(d) An infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
2. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
3. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
4. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
5. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)