|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
(a) They have virtually no connection.
(b) They play golf together.
(c) They know each other as teenagers.
(d) They share an office.
2. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
(a) To live with his mother.
(b) To the attic of a friend's house.
(c) To a small apartment in another city.
(d) To America.
3. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) Pavel is fired.
(b) Ivan disapproves.
(c) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(d) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
4. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
5. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka causes a public scene.
(b) Marenka pays for the treatment.
(c) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(d) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
6. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) Illusion and Liberty.
(b) Men of Clear Conscience.
(c) Animal Farm.
(d) The Communist Manifesto.
7. Who suggests to Kovály that her apartment might be bugged?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
8. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Financial ruin.
(b) Official hazing.
(c) Termination of employment.
(d) Jail time.
9. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) Order via catalogue.
(b) Wait in long lines.
(c) Go to a central city market.
(d) File a request with local authorities.
10. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To support her.
(b) To clear his father's name.
(c) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(d) To rescue her from Prague.
11. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
12. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) They are buried in a mass grave.
(b) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
(c) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(d) They are dumped into a lake.
13. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(a) A feeling of freedom.
14. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) The party refuses to let her.
(b) She is under house arrest.
(c) She cannot afford the moving fees.
(d) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
15. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) A riot takes place.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
2. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
3. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
4. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
5. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)