|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
(a) To arrest Kovály.
(b) To confiscate her money.
(c) To seize documents.
(d) To catalogue her possessions.
2. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(b) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(c) Marenka causes a public scene.
(d) Marenka pays for the treatment.
3. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
(a) With concern.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With pity.
4. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
5. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) A riot takes place.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
(d) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
6. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
(a) Mass demonstrations.
(b) Personnel changes.
7. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) The Communists empty her bank account.
(b) Because of a currency devaluation.
(c) She loans the money to friends.
(d) She is robbed.
8. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) File a request with local authorities.
(b) Go to a central city market.
(c) Order via catalogue.
(d) Wait in long lines.
9. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(b) A kidney stone.
10. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(b) Great Britain.
11. Who is Merenka?
(a) The Margolius' live-in assistant.
(b) Ivan's teacher.
(c) The Margolius' next-door neighbor.
(d) A Communist Party spy.
12. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(b) A chronic cough.
(c) A stomach ulcer.
(d) An intense pain.
13. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(b) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(c) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
(d) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
14. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
(a) A friend's anniversary party.
(b) The harvest.
(c) A public building project.
(d) A Communist rally.
15. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
(b) Forget she ever knew him.
(c) Leave Czechoslovakia.
(d) Help his escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
2. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
3. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
4. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
5. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)