|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By bus.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) By train.
2. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A mattress.
(b) An icebox.
(c) A stove.
(d) A radio.
3. What kind of feeling is said to have pervaded Prague in 1968?
(b) A feeling of freedom.
4. Who comes to power in 1956?
(a) Iosef Stalin.
(b) Alexey Kosygin.
(c) Nikita Khruschchev.
(d) Nikolai Bulganin.
5. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) The party refuses to let her.
(b) She cannot afford the moving fees.
(c) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(d) She is under house arrest.
6. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
7. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
(a) Rudolf Slánský.
(b) Josef Frank.
(c) Tomáš Masaryk.
(d) Klement Gottwald.
8. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(b) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(c) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(d) The people reject the Communist system.
9. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
10. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) Middle-class professionals.
(b) The working poor.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) Ethnic minorities.
11. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
(a) With hostility.
(b) With pity.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With concern.
12. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) Three months.
(b) About one month.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two weeks.
13. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Jail time.
(b) Termination of employment.
(c) Financial ruin.
(d) Official hazing.
14. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
(a) Stuffing envelopes.
(b) Weaving scarves.
(c) Painting figurines.
(d) Assembling slippers.
15. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
(b) A riot takes place.
(c) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(d) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Merenka?
2. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
3. Who is Dr. Bartos?
4. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
5. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)