|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
2. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
(a) After Kovály loses her temper with a nurse.
(b) When the hospital becomes over-crowded with patients.
(c) When it becomes clear she has no money.
(d) When they find out her husband has been arrested.
3. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are sarcastic.
(b) They are read in Russian.
(c) They are full of Party verbiage.
(d) They are heart-wrenching
4. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A notary public's.
(b) A lawyer's.
(c) The Communist Party's.
(d) A doctor's.
5. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
(a) Over the radio.
(b) While walking through a crowd.
(c) At work.
(d) Through a friend.
6. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(b) A stomach ulcer.
(c) A chronic cough.
(d) An intense pain.
7. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(b) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
(c) A riot takes place.
(d) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
8. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(b) Kovály herself.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
9. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To put on weight.
(b) To study at a prestigious school.
(c) To recover from tuberculosis.
(d) To avoid the dangers of the city.
10. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
(a) Ten thousand.
(b) Seven hundred.
(c) Fifty thousand.
(d) One thousand.
11. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By boat.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By bus.
12. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(b) Ivan disapproves.
(c) Pavel is fired.
(d) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
13. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) They are dumped into a lake.
(b) They are buried in a mass grave.
(c) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(d) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
14. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) On his way to England.
(b) In the countryside.
(c) In the United States.
(d) In Romania.
15. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
2. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
3. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
4. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
5. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)