|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
(b) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
(d) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
2. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is guilty.
(b) He is lost.
(c) He is still alive.
(d) He is rehabilitated.
3. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(d) Great Britain.
4. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(b) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(c) Marenka causes a public scene.
(d) Marenka pays for the treatment.
5. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) Soviet bloc troops.
(b) American troops.
(c) Japanese troops.
(d) German troops.
6. At the hospital, with what is Kovály eventually diagnosed?
(c) A kidney stone.
7. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
(a) They play golf together.
(b) They know each other as teenagers.
(c) They have virtually no connection.
(d) They share an office.
8. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(b) Kovály herself.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
9. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) A driver's license.
(b) Her husband's will.
(c) A death certificate.
(d) Her birth certificate.
10. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) Democratic ideals.
(c) Spending money on rebuilding Prague.
(d) Equal rights for women.
11. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
(a) She reacts with fury.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is relieved.
12. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That he sounds ill.
(b) That it is not her husband speaking.
(c) That it is a memorized speech.
(d) That he is holding back tears.
13. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
14. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
(a) They are middle-level politicians.
(b) They are unmarried men.
(c) They are former resistance members.
(d) They are Jewish.
15. How do Kovály's neighbors treat her after Margolius' arrest?
(a) With concern.
(b) With pity.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With hostility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
3. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
4. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
5. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)