|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To rescue her from Prague.
(b) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(c) To clear his father's name.
(d) To support her.
2. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) A position at a shoe store.
(b) Translation work.
(c) An office assistant job.
(d) Freelance art work.
3. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) The working poor.
(c) Middle-class professionals.
(d) Ethnic minorities.
4. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
(a) Klement Gottwald.
(b) Josef Frank.
(c) Tomáš Masaryk.
(d) Rudolf Slánský.
5. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) A Russian diplomat.
(b) A resistance leader.
(c) Margolius' underling.
(d) A Communist politician.
6. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(d) For being unemployed.
7. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Three months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Seven months.
8. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media disappears.
(b) The media only reports Russian news.
(c) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(d) The media becomes controlled by the State.
9. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Distribute leaflets.
(b) Lead a demonstration.
(c) Put up posters.
(d) Participate in non-violent resistance.
10. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) Ten years hard labor.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A monetary fine.
(d) The death penalty.
11. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) Wait in long lines.
(b) Go to a central city market.
(c) Order via catalogue.
(d) File a request with local authorities.
12. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
(a) She becomes a seamstress.
(b) She becomes a librarian.
(c) She becomes a teacher.
(d) English-language book translation.
13. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) A riot takes place.
(d) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
14. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(b) To study at a prestigious school.
(c) To recover from tuberculosis.
(d) To put on weight.
15. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
(a) A Communist rally.
(b) A public building project.
(c) The harvest.
(d) A friend's anniversary party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
2. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
3. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
4. At what point does the staff at the hospital Kovály is admitted to stop giving her good treatment?
5. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)