|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For being unemployed.
(d) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
2. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) Ten years hard labor.
(d) A monetary fine.
3. Who comes to power in 1956?
(a) Iosef Stalin.
(b) Nikolai Bulganin.
(c) Nikita Khruschchev.
(d) Alexey Kosygin.
4. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) American troops.
(b) German troops.
(c) Japanese troops.
(d) Soviet bloc troops.
5. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
(b) Pavel is fired.
(c) Ivan disapproves.
(d) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
6. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
7. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Seven months.
8. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(a) Documents and cash.
(c) Items made of silver.
(d) Jewish cultural items.
9. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
10. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
(d) The Soviet Union.
11. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
(a) To America.
(b) To live with his mother.
(c) To the attic of a friend's house.
(d) To a small apartment in another city.
12. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Pavel Kovály.
(d) Pavel Eisner.
13. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) A death certificate.
(d) Her husband's will.
14. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
15. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
2. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
3. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
4. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
5. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)