|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(b) At their apartment.
(c) At a courthouse.
(d) At a prison.
2. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
(b) They are buried in a mass grave.
(c) They are dumped into a lake.
(d) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
3. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) Margolius' underling.
(b) A Communist politician.
(c) A Russian diplomat.
(d) A resistance leader.
4. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
(a) Through a friend.
(b) Over the radio.
(c) While walking through a crowd.
(d) At work.
5. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) About one month.
(d) Nine months.
6. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By bus.
(b) By train.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
7. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
(a) They share an office.
(b) They have virtually no connection.
(c) They play golf together.
(d) They know each other as teenagers.
8. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) Translation work.
(b) An office assistant job.
(c) Freelance art work.
(d) A position at a shoe store.
9. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(a) Documents and cash.
(b) Jewish cultural items.
(d) Items made of silver.
10. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) Her husband's will.
(d) A death certificate.
11. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That he is holding back tears.
(b) That it is not her husband speaking.
(c) That he sounds ill.
(d) That it is a memorized speech.
12. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) Ethnic minorities.
(b) Middle-class professionals.
(c) The working poor.
(d) The wealthy.
13. How does Kovály describe the atmosphere in Prague by the middle of 1951?
(a) As unnerving.
(b) As having an air of freedom.
(c) As peaceful and calm.
(d) As hostile as it had been during the Nazi occupation.
14. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
(a) Personnel changes.
(c) Mass demonstrations.
15. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(d) The people reject the Communist system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
2. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
3. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
4. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
5. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)