|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A radio.
(b) A mattress.
(c) A stove.
(d) An icebox.
2. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
(b) The Soviet Union.
3. What anniversary celebration does Kovály and Margolius attend in 1950?
(a) The anniversary of Karl Marx's birth.
(b) The anniversary of Gottwald's appointment as Prime Minister.
(c) The anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution.
(d) The anniversary of Victorious February.
4. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) A driver's license.
(b) Her birth certificate.
(c) A death certificate.
(d) Her husband's will.
5. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By train.
(b) By bus.
(c) By boat.
(d) By car.
6. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is rehabilitated.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He is lost.
(d) He is guilty.
7. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(b) It indicates that he is Jewish.
(c) That his arrest relates to state security.
(d) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
8. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
(a) The economy slows to a crawl.
(b) The economy grows by fifty percent.
(c) Economic activity returns to its pre-war levels.
(d) The economy booms.
9. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(a) Pavel Eisler.
(b) Rudolf Slánský.
(c) Ivan Kovály.
10. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are heart-wrenching
(b) They are sarcastic.
(c) They are read in Russian.
(d) They are full of Party verbiage.
11. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
(a) They send food and money to Kovály.
(b) They sever all relations to Kovály.
(c) They stage a protest.
(d) They arrange a lawyer for Margolius.
12. How old is Margolius when Kovály sees him last?
13. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Termination of employment.
(b) Jail time.
(c) Financial ruin.
(d) Official hazing.
14. What work-at-home job does Kovály find after Margolius' death?
(a) Weaving scarves.
(b) Stuffing envelopes.
(c) Assembling slippers.
(d) Painting figurines.
15. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) A riot takes place.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
(d) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
2. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
3. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
4. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
5. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)