|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of the 'S' stamped on Margolius' case file?
(a) That his arrest relates to state security.
(b) His arrest is associated with Slánský's arrest.
(c) It indicates that the Soviet Union requested his arrest.
(d) It indicates that he is Jewish.
2. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(b) The party refuses to let her.
(c) She is under house arrest.
(d) She cannot afford the moving fees.
3. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
(a) They sever all relations to Kovály.
(b) They stage a protest.
(c) They arrange a lawyer for Margolius.
(d) They send food and money to Kovály.
4. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka pays for the treatment.
(b) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(c) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(d) Marenka causes a public scene.
5. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) Translation work.
(b) A position at a shoe store.
(c) Freelance art work.
(d) An office assistant job.
6. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) The Communist Party's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) A lawyer's.
(d) A notary public's.
7. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) Pavel is fired.
(b) Ivan disapproves.
(c) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(d) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
8. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For being unemployed.
(b) For conspiring with him.
(c) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(d) For plotting Margolius' escape.
9. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) In the United States.
(b) In Romania.
(c) On his way to England.
(d) In the countryside.
10. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Kovály herself.
(d) Pavel Kovály.
11. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Seven hundred.
(d) Ten thousand.
12. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
(a) Klement Gottwald.
(b) Tomáš Masaryk.
(c) Josef Frank.
(d) Rudolf Slánský.
13. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are heart-wrenching
(b) They are read in Russian.
(c) They are full of Party verbiage.
(d) They are sarcastic.
14. in 1968, who amasses military forces along the Czech borders?
(b) The Soviet Union.
15. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(b) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(c) The people reject the Communist system.
(d) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
2. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
3. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
4. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
5. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)