|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
(a) Rudolf Slánský.
(b) Josef Frank.
(c) Klement Gottwald.
(d) Tomáš Masaryk.
2. As Communism takes hold in Czechoslovakia, what does Kovály note about the confessions issued by arrested individuals?
(a) They are heart-wrenching
(b) They are full of Party verbiage.
(c) They are sarcastic.
(d) They are read in Russian.
3. What does the party committee tell Kovály about her husband?
(a) He is lost.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He is rehabilitated.
(d) He is guilty.
4. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At their apartment.
(b) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(c) At a courthouse.
(d) At a prison.
5. What happens at the mass meeting Kovály attends in 1967?
(a) The leader of the Communist Party stops by.
(b) A vote occurs which decides the fate of protestors.
(c) Party officials take questions from the attendees.
(d) A riot takes place.
6. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media only reports Russian news.
(b) The media disappears.
(c) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
(d) The media becomes controlled by the State.
7. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(b) Pavel Eisner.
(d) Pavel Kovály.
8. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Three months.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Seven months.
9. By the time Margolius is arrested, about how many other citizens had been arrested?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Seven hundred.
(c) Fifty thousand.
(d) Ten thousand.
10. Where does Kovály find a job in order to support herself and Ivan?
(a) At a nursery school.
(b) At a dairy.
(c) At a print shop.
(d) At a factory.
11. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
12. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(a) An intense pain.
(c) A stomach ulcer.
(d) A chronic cough.
13. What does Kovály notice is happening to her family in January 1952?
(a) They are growing apart.
(b) They are being watched and followed.
(c) They are running out of money.
(d) They are being gossiped about by neighbors.
14. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
(b) Ivan Kovály.
(c) Rudolf Slánský.
(d) Pavel Eisler.
15. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
(a) Illusion and Liberty.
(b) The Communist Manifesto.
(c) Men of Clear Conscience.
(d) Animal Farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
2. Who else becomes seriously ill while Kovály recovers from her illness?
3. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
4. What happens when family associates and friends hear about Margolius' arrest?
5. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)