|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A notary public's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) A lawyer's.
(d) The Communist Party's.
2. Who occupies Czechoslovakia after what is effectively a kidnapping of the new leadership?
(a) Soviet bloc troops.
(b) Japanese troops.
(c) German troops.
(d) American troops.
3. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To rescue her from Prague.
(b) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(c) To support her.
(d) To clear his father's name.
4. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A mattress.
(b) An icebox.
(c) A stove.
(d) A radio.
5. Who is Dr. Bartos?
(a) A surgeon.
(b) An attorney.
(c) A pediatrician.
(d) A psychologist
6. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
7. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) About one month.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Nine months.
8. What does the Party tell Kovály they refused to do in regards to Margolius?
(a) Publicly acknowledge his existence.
(b) Publicly acknowledge his guilt.
(c) Publicly acknowledge his experience as a prisoner.
(d) Publicly acknowledge his innocence.
9. Where is Pavel Kovály on the morning of the occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(a) In the countryside.
(b) In the United States.
(c) On his way to England.
(d) In Romania.
10. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
11. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
(a) A chronic cough.
(b) A stomach ulcer.
(c) An intense pain.
12. What punishment does Margolius receive for his supposed crimes?
(a) The death penalty.
(b) A monetary fine.
(c) Ten years hard labor.
(d) Life in prison.
13. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Put up posters.
(b) Participate in non-violent resistance.
(c) Lead a demonstration.
(d) Distribute leaflets.
14. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) She is a wanted fugitive.
(b) She does not have the right paperwork.
(c) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(d) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
15. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
(a) Czechoslovakia becomes a democracy.
(b) The Communist Party implement many new strict laws.
(c) The leader of the Communist Party step down.
(d) The people reject the Communist system.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
2. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
3. In 1967, public sentiment shifts away from what?
4. How does Kovály react to the news that the Party committee gives her?
5. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)