|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
(b) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(c) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(d) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
2. What does Margolius beg Kovály to do during their last meeting?
(a) Leave Czechoslovakia.
(c) Forget she ever knew him.
(d) Help his escape.
3. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To study at a prestigious school.
(b) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(c) To recover from tuberculosis.
(d) To put on weight.
4. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
5. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
(a) To get revenge for what happened to his father.
(b) To support her.
(c) To clear his father's name.
(d) To rescue her from Prague.
6. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
(a) Implement a stricter educational system.
(b) Trade goods with Western countries.
(c) Sever all ties with the Soviet Union.
(d) Release political prisoners.
7. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
(b) Pavel is fired.
(c) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(d) Ivan disapproves.
8. During the summer of 1953, Kovály volunteers to help with what?
(a) A Communist rally.
(b) The harvest.
(c) A public building project.
(d) A friend's anniversary party.
9. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
(a) Translation work.
(b) A position at a shoe store.
(c) An office assistant job.
(d) Freelance art work.
10. As the Iron Curtain falls on Czechoslovakia, what happens to the media?
(a) The media disappears.
(b) The media only reports Russian news.
(c) The media becomes controlled by the State.
(d) The media focuses on feel-good stories.
11. How does Kovály leave Prague after the news of the new governments accession?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) By bus.
12. Whose permission does Kovály require in order to obtain the document she needs to arrange her life?
(a) A notary public's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) The Communist Party's.
(d) A lawyer's.
13. After Margolius' verdict is announced, who arranges for Ivan to stay in the country a bit longer?
(a) Pavel Eisner.
(c) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Pavel Kovály.
14. How long is Kovály bedridden with illness after her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) About one month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Three months.
15. What profession does Kovály assume after marrying Pavel?
(a) She becomes a librarian.
(b) She becomes a teacher.
(c) She becomes a seamstress.
(d) English-language book translation.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the change of power in 1956, what does The Party admit in regards to the confessions of political prisoners?
2. What happens politically in the spring of 1968?
3. Who dies just six months after Margolius' death?
4. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
5. What ailment does Kovály develop as a result of her poor living and work conditions?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)