|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(b) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
(c) They are buried in a mass grave.
(d) They are dumped into a lake.
2. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That it is a memorized speech.
(b) That it is not her husband speaking.
(c) That he is holding back tears.
(d) That he sounds ill.
3. Why do guards stop Kovály at the border when she tries to leave Czechoslovakia?
(a) No one is allowed to cross the borders.
(b) Her photograph does not resemble her aged face.
(c) She does not have the right paperwork.
(d) She is a wanted fugitive.
4. Who is favored by Communist propaganda?
(a) Ethnic minorities.
(b) Middle-class professionals.
(c) The working poor.
(d) The wealthy.
5. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
6. After her husband's death, for what does Kovály fear she would be arrested?
(a) For interfering with the investigation of Margolius' crimes.
(b) For plotting Margolius' escape.
(c) For being unemployed.
(d) For conspiring with him.
7. Where does Kovály have her last meeting with Margolius?
(a) At a prison.
(b) At their apartment.
(c) At the Communist Party headquarters.
(d) At a courthouse.
8. Who hides some of Kovály's items in her building's basement?
(a) Pavel Kovály.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Kovály herself.
9. What word does Kovály use to describe Pavel Kovály?
10. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
(b) Great Britain.
11. What is Bartos able to do in order to help Kovály?
(a) Bartos finds Kovály employment.
(b) Bartos gets Margolius released from custody to visit his family.
(c) Bartos arranges a new apartment for Kovály.
(d) Bartos gives Kovály access to her savings accounts.
12. How is Margolius personally impacted by Slánský's arrest?
(a) The arrest means Margolius' gets a promotion at work.
(b) The arrest makes Margolius paranoid.
(c) The arrest makes Margolius regret his friendship with Slánský.
(d) The arrest makes Margolius question the Communist government for the first time.
13. In the spring of 1968, what becomes politically common?
(a) Mass demonstrations.
(c) Personnel changes.
14. How long does it take Kovály to obtain the document she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) One year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
15. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) Her husband's will.
(c) A driver's license.
(d) A death certificate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
2. Where do the Koválys move after they marry?
3. What is listed Margolius' official cause of death?
4. How is Margolius associated with Rudolf Slánský?
5. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)