Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets Kovály and Margolius at the anniversary celebration?
(a) Tomáš Masaryk.
(b) Josef Frank.
(c) Rudolf Slánský.
(d) Klement Gottwald.
2. Months after Margolius' arrest, why does the Communist Party send a team to Kovály's apartment?
(a) To seize documents.
(b) To catalogue her possessions.
(c) To confiscate her money.
(d) To arrest Kovály.
3. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That it is not her husband speaking.
(b) That he is holding back tears.
(c) That he sounds ill.
(d) That it is a memorized speech.
4. What do the police seize from the Margolius' apartment?
(a) Items made of silver.
(c) Documents and cash.
(d) Jewish cultural items.
5. What does Pavel Kovály find for the apartment Kovály moves to after Margolius' death?
(a) A mattress.
(b) An icebox.
(c) A stove.
(d) A radio.
6. What is Pavel Kovály said to have had no interest in?
(a) Czech independence.
(b) Party politics.
(c) Making money.
(d) Other people.
7. Why does Kovály's savings disappear in the spring of 1953?
(a) She is robbed.
(b) She loans the money to friends.
(c) The Communists empty her bank account.
(d) Because of a currency devaluation.
8. After recovering from her illness and mourning, what document does Kovály realize she needs in order to arrange her life?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) A driver's license.
(c) Her husband's will.
(d) A death certificate.
9. What happens when Pavel Kovály and Kovály marry?
(a) Pavel is fired.
(b) Their wedding is interrupted by a riot.
(c) Ivan disapproves.
(d) They make plans to emigrate to Britain.
10. In what year is Kovály summoned to appear before a party committee?
11. Why is Kovály unable to move into a cheaper apartment after Margolius' arrest?
(a) There is a housing shortage in Prague.
(b) She cannot afford the moving fees.
(c) She is under house arrest.
(d) The party refuses to let her.
12. After guards stop Kovály at the border, what does Kovály NOT do to help in Prague?
(a) Lead a demonstration.
(b) Put up posters.
(c) Distribute leaflets.
(d) Participate in non-violent resistance.
13. What does Kovály find has happened to Margolius' ashes?
(a) They are mixed into asphalt to pave a road.
(b) His ashes are spread on an icy roadway.
(c) They are buried in a mass grave.
(d) They are dumped into a lake.
14. What would one have to do in order to buy anything?
(a) File a request with local authorities.
(b) Go to a central city market.
(c) Order via catalogue.
(d) Wait in long lines.
15. How is Kovály able to communicate with Margolius after his arrest?
(a) By visiting him every other day.
(b) Once a month, via a letter.
(c) Over weekly telephone calls.
(d) Via a monthly telegram.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kovály learn that the new government has acceded to the demands being put on it?
2. What work does Pavel Kovály find for Kovály after she loses her work-at-home job?
3. Where is Ivan living at the time of the 1960s occupation of Czechoslovakia?
4. After the power change in 1956, what do soviet satellite nations begin to do?
5. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)