|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
2. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
(b) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(c) They build road blocks.
(d) They embrace the return.
3. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
4. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
5. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He treats her with fatherly concern.
(b) He treats her like a friend.
(c) He is physically abusive.
(d) He is verbally abusive.
6. Who is Mrs. Machova?
(a) Ivan Kovály's teacher.
(b) Kovály's disapproving neighbor.
(c) Kovály's housekeeper.
(d) A friend who looks after Kovály's son.
7. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Pawn their possessions.
(c) Loot and riot.
(d) Take all their money from the banks.
8. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
(a) An absolute monarchy.
(b) A Feudalist one.
(c) A Communist one.
(d) A democratic one.
9. In which city does Kovály grow up?
10. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Visit with friends.
(b) Enjoy the springtime.
(c) Plant flowers.
(d) Visit the library.
11. What name does Kovály give her first child?
12. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
13. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
14. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
(a) Writing to friends abroad.
(b) Studying art.
(c) Reading magazines.
(d) Listening to the radio.
15. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He is devoted to it.
(b) He is indifferent to his role.
(c) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(d) He does his work without conviction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
2. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
3. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
4. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
5. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)