|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She is arrested.
(b) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
(c) She is visited by a former classmate.
(d) She collapses with a fever.
2. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The American army.
3. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
(b) Employment opportunities.
4. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
(c) Toilet paper.
5. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Planning to create job opportunities.
(b) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
(c) Widespread corruption.
(d) Volunteer work.
6. Who is Franz?
(a) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(b) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(c) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
(d) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
7. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(a) A bank account number.
(b) A prayer.
(d) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
8. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Eleven hours.
(b) Sixteen hours.
(c) Twenty hours.
(d) Eight hours.
9. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
(a) In the poorest Prague neighborhoods.
(b) In luxury apartments.
(c) Next door to her family.
(d) In former Jewish neighborhoods.
10. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
11. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(b) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
(c) They receive help from a Greman officer.
(d) They follow a river out of Germany.
12. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(b) Production artist.
(c) Art editor.
13. Who is Eva?
(a) A young and frail camp inmate.
(b) Kovály's cousin.
(c) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
(d) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
14. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
15. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) An artist.
(d) A physician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
2. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
3. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
4. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
5. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)