|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A Red Cross worker.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A man.
2. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are shut-down.
(b) They were nationalized.
(c) They are unionized.
(d) They are collectivized.
3. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(b) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(c) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(d) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
4. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are relocated via train.
(b) They are released.
(c) They are marched westward.
(d) They are executed.
5. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is assigned factory work.
(c) She is gassed.
(d) She is redirected to another camp.
6. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
7. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
8. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
(a) Reading magazines.
(b) Studying art.
(c) Writing to friends abroad.
(d) Listening to the radio.
9. In which city does Kovály grow up?
10. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Rudolf Margolius.
11. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
(a) They notify the Gestapo of her return.
(b) They are terrified of being seen with her.
(c) They pool their money and prepare a place for her to stay.
(d) They are gone.
12. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They build road blocks.
(b) They embrace the return.
(c) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(d) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
13. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(a) Art editor.
(b) Production artist.
14. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
15. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
(a) It was more successful than it was in Russia.
(b) It would fail within months.
(c) That is would be no different than it was in Russia.
(d) It was incorruptable.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
2. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
4. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
5. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)