|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
(d) The Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
3. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Canadian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The American army.
(d) The Romanian army.
4. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The British army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Chinese army.
(d) The American army.
5. How does Kovály travel to Prague after reaching the outskirts of the city?
(a) By row boat.
(b) By streetcar.
(c) By bicycle.
(d) By taxi.
6. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Civic Democratic Party.
(b) The Workers Party.
(c) Politika 21.
(d) The Communist Party.
7. Who is Jan Masaryk?
(a) The Foreign Minister.
(b) Regional Party Secretary.
(c) Margolius' assistant.
(d) Deputy Minister of National Defense.
8. Who greets Kovály at Ruda's home?
(a) Ruda himself.
(b) A police officer.
(d) Mrs. Machova.
9. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Pawn their possessions.
(b) Loot and riot.
(c) Take all their money from the banks.
10. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To Ostrava.
(b) To America.
(c) A better part of Prague.
(d) To the Soviet Union.
11. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(c) None of them.
12. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
13. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It has no real power.
(b) It rules fairly.
(c) It rules with terror.
(d) It rules prosperously.
14. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
15. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is assigned factory work.
(c) She is redirected to another camp.
(d) She is gassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
2. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
4. Who is Eva?
5. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)