|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(b) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(c) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(d) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
2. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The American army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Canadian army.
(d) The Romanian army.
3. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The local resistance.
(d) The housing authority.
4. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
5. What name does Kovály give her first child?
6. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Illegal immigrants.
(b) Convicted criminals.
(c) The elderly and destitute.
(d) Child workers.
7. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is redirected to another camp.
(b) She is shot.
(c) She is gassed.
(d) She is assigned factory work.
8. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
9. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
(a) Roman Catholics.
10. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The British army.
(b) The American army.
(c) The Chinese army.
(d) The Russian army.
11. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
(a) An absolute monarchy.
(b) A Communist one.
(c) A Feudalist one.
(d) A democratic one.
12. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Hiding in a train station.
(c) At a church.
(d) Sitting in a cafe.
13. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(a) Play cards.
(b) Volunteer work.
(d) Argue about politics.
14. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
(a) Anything that could be construed as disloyal to the party.
(b) Wearing unfashionable clothing.
(c) Leaving their houses after dark.
(d) Overhearing political discussions.
15. In which country is Kovály born?
Short Answer Questions
1. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
2. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
3. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
4. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
5. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)