|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
(a) It is partially dismantled.
(b) It is burned.
(c) It is disguised as a factory.
(d) It is fortified.
2. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
3. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Hitler and Stalin.
(b) Her God-mother and God-father.
(c) Lenin and Marx.
(d) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
4. Who greets Kovály at Ruda's home?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(c) Ruda himself.
(d) A police officer.
5. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
6. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) Rudolf Margolius.
(c) Mrs. Machova.
(d) A rabbi.
7. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(d) Mrs. Machova.
8. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
9. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The borders are reopened.
(b) The borders are extended.
(c) The borders are closed.
(d) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
10. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
(a) The Lublin Ghetto.
(b) The Lvóv Ghetto.
(c) The Lodz Ghetto.
(d) The Vilna Ghetto.
11. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
(a) Children playing.
(b) A dead SS Soldier.
(c) Flowers in bloom.
(d) Nazi propaganda posters being torn down.
12. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
13. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
14. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are relocated via train.
(b) They are released.
(c) They are marched westward.
(d) They are executed.
15. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Physical labor.
(b) Cleaning duties.
(c) Food preparation.
(d) Drafting of maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
2. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
3. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
4. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
5. In which country is Kovály born?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)