|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) An execution.
(b) Coffee and donuts.
(c) Long roll calls.
(d) Exercise sessions.
2. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It has no real power.
(b) It rules with terror.
(c) It rules prosperously.
(d) It rules fairly.
3. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
(a) They are ostracized.
(b) They are fined.
(c) They are executed.
(d) They are imprisoned.
4. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Enjoy the springtime.
(b) Plant flowers.
(c) Visit the library.
(d) Visit with friends.
5. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
6. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(c) The housing authority.
(d) The local resistance.
7. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The borders are extended.
(b) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(c) The borders are closed.
(d) The borders are reopened.
8. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(b) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
(c) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(d) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
9. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
10. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(b) Play cards.
(c) Volunteer work.
(d) Argue about politics.
11. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Drafting of maps.
(b) Food preparation.
(c) Physical labor.
(d) Cleaning duties.
12. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Child workers.
(b) Convicted criminals.
(c) The elderly and destitute.
(d) Illegal immigrants.
13. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
(a) The Vilna Ghetto.
(b) The Lublin Ghetto.
(c) The Lvóv Ghetto.
(d) The Lodz Ghetto.
14. In which city does Kovály grow up?
15. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
Short Answer Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
2. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
3. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
4. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
5. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)