|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(b) The housing authority.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The local resistance.
2. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Cleaning duties.
(b) Food preparation.
(c) Drafting of maps.
(d) Physical labor.
3. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) A better part of Prague.
(b) To the Soviet Union.
(c) To Ostrava.
(d) To America.
4. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A farmer's field.
(b) A country inn.
(c) A barn.
(d) A train station.
5. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
6. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(c) A young Jewish woman.
7. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
8. Who is Eva?
(a) A young and frail camp inmate.
(b) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(c) Kovály's cousin.
(d) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
9. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
10. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
11. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about family members who survive the war.
(b) News about job opportunities abroad.
(c) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(d) News about political corruption in the city.
12. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
(b) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(c) They follow a river out of Germany.
(d) They receive help from a Greman officer.
13. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is assigned factory work.
(c) She is redirected to another camp.
(d) She is gassed.
14. In which city does Kovály grow up?
15. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
2. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
3. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
4. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
5. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)