|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Franz?
(a) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(b) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
(c) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(d) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
2. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
3. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
4. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A man.
(c) A Red Cross worker.
(d) A soldier.
5. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A Nazi officer.
(b) A rabid dog.
(c) A fire.
(d) A loan shark.
6. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) Long roll calls.
(b) Coffee and donuts.
(c) An execution.
(d) Exercise sessions.
7. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For not being able to get her an apartment.
(b) For turning her away when she needs help.
(c) For taking some of her money.
(d) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
8. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is gassed.
(c) She is redirected to another camp.
(d) She is assigned factory work.
9. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Widespread corruption.
(b) Planning to create job opportunities.
(c) Volunteer work.
(d) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
10. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
11. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Eleven hours.
(c) Twenty hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
12. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(b) A rabbi.
(c) Rudolf Margolius.
(d) Mrs. Machova.
13. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
14. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
(d) Employment opportunities.
15. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
2. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
3. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
4. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
5. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)