|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Kovály give her first child?
2. In which city does Kovály grow up?
3. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine months.
4. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
(a) It is burned.
(b) It is disguised as a factory.
(c) It is partially dismantled.
(d) It is fortified.
5. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
6. Who is Franz?
(a) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(b) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(c) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(d) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
7. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
(a) She is awarded it in a lottery.
(b) She lies about her identity.
(c) She moves into the housing authority's offices.
(d) She waits patiently until one comes available.
8. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
9. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(d) Rudolf Margolius.
10. Who is Mrs. Machova?
(a) A friend who looks after Kovály's son.
(b) Kovály's disapproving neighbor.
(c) Kovály's housekeeper.
(d) Ivan Kovály's teacher.
11. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
(b) Volunteer work.
(c) Planning to create job opportunities.
(d) Widespread corruption.
12. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are turned to the streets.
(b) They are returned to their homes.
(c) They are imprisoned.
(d) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
13. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
(a) Financial support.
(b) A shopping spree.
(d) A bed.
14. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
(a) General Secretary.
(b) Deputy Minister of Foreign Trade.
(c) Deputy Minister of State Security.
(d) Finance Minister.
15. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
(a) Anything that could be construed as disloyal to the party.
(b) Leaving their houses after dark.
(c) Overhearing political discussions.
(d) Wearing unfashionable clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
2. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
3. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
4. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
5. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)