|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
(c) The Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.
2. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are executed.
(b) They are relocated via train.
(c) They are marched westward.
(d) They are released.
3. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The Chinese army.
(b) The American army.
(c) The Russian army.
(d) The British army.
4. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He is indifferent to his role.
(b) He is devoted to it.
(c) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(d) He does his work without conviction.
5. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
6. In which country is Kovály born?
7. How does Kovály travel to Prague after reaching the outskirts of the city?
(a) By row boat.
(b) By bicycle.
(c) By streetcar.
(d) By taxi.
8. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Rebuilding Prague.
(b) Having a family.
(c) Fighting for democracy.
(d) Emigrating to America.
9. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about job opportunities abroad.
(b) News about family members who survive the war.
(c) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(d) News about political corruption in the city.
10. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Lenin and Marx.
(b) Hitler and Stalin.
(c) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
(d) Her God-mother and God-father.
11. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(b) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(c) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(d) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
12. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Drafting of maps.
(b) Physical labor.
(c) Food preparation.
(d) Cleaning duties.
13. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
(a) A physician.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A writer.
(d) An artist.
14. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) With affection.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With great deference.
15. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
(a) She is awarded it in a lottery.
(b) She moves into the housing authority's offices.
(c) She waits patiently until one comes available.
(d) She lies about her identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
2. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
3. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
4. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
5. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)