|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Rudolf Margolius.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) The local Rabbi.
2. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
3. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Food preparation.
(b) Drafting of maps.
(c) Physical labor.
(d) Cleaning duties.
4. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A man.
(c) A Red Cross worker.
(d) A police officer.
5. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To America.
(b) To the Soviet Union.
(c) A better part of Prague.
(d) To Ostrava.
6. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
(a) They are terrified of being seen with her.
(b) They are gone.
(c) They notify the Gestapo of her return.
(d) They pool their money and prepare a place for her to stay.
7. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are unionized.
(b) They are shut-down.
(c) They are collectivized.
(d) They were nationalized.
8. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
(a) A writer.
(b) An artist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A physician.
9. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They embrace the return.
(b) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(c) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
(d) They build road blocks.
10. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
11. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
(a) A Communist one.
(b) A democratic one.
(c) A Feudalist one.
(d) An absolute monarchy.
12. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
(b) Planning to create job opportunities.
(c) Widespread corruption.
(d) Volunteer work.
13. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Hitler and Stalin.
(b) Her God-mother and God-father.
(c) Lenin and Marx.
(d) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
14. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(a) Argue about politics.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Volunteer work.
15. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Having a family.
(b) Rebuilding Prague.
(c) Emigrating to America.
(d) Fighting for democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
2. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
3. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
4. Who is Franz?
5. Who is Mrs. Machova?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)