|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The Chinese army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The British army.
(d) The American army.
2. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
(a) Her God parents.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) Her family.
(d) A group of girls around her age.
3. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
4. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
5. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are unionized.
(b) They are shut-down.
(c) They were nationalized.
(d) They are collectivized.
6. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) Coffee and donuts.
(b) An execution.
(c) Exercise sessions.
(d) Long roll calls.
7. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
(a) They pool their money and prepare a place for her to stay.
(b) They are terrified of being seen with her.
(c) They notify the Gestapo of her return.
(d) They are gone.
8. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
(d) Toilet paper.
9. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With great deference.
(c) With affection.
(d) With hostility.
10. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She is arrested.
(b) She is visited by a former classmate.
(c) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
(d) She collapses with a fever.
11. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(a) Art editor.
(b) Production artist.
12. Who is Franz?
(a) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(b) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
(c) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(d) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
13. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
(a) Overhearing political discussions.
(b) Leaving their houses after dark.
(c) Anything that could be construed as disloyal to the party.
(d) Wearing unfashionable clothing.
14. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
15. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about political corruption in the city.
(b) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(c) News about family members who survive the war.
(d) News about job opportunities abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
2. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
3. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
4. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
5. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)