|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
2. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
(a) A banking job.
(b) A factory job.
(c) A farming job.
(d) A teaching job.
3. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They receive help from a Greman officer.
(b) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(c) They follow a river out of Germany.
(d) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
4. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
(d) Toilet paper.
5. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Rebuilding Prague.
(b) Having a family.
(c) Emigrating to America.
(d) Fighting for democracy.
6. Who is Franz?
(a) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
(b) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(c) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(d) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
7. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
8. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
(a) Children playing.
(b) Nazi propaganda posters being torn down.
(c) Flowers in bloom.
(d) A dead SS Soldier.
9. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(a) A young Jewish woman.
10. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) The Old New Synagogue.
(b) St. Wenceslas Square.
(c) The Lesser Quarter.
(d) The Písek Gate.
11. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
12. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) Political discussions.
(b) The outside world.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her friends.
13. What name does Kovály give her first child?
14. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
(b) A bed.
(c) A shopping spree.
(d) Financial support.
15. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He is indifferent to his role.
(b) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(c) He does his work without conviction.
(d) He is devoted to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country is Kovály born?
2. Who is Jan Masaryk?
3. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
4. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
5. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)