|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
2. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
3. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A loan shark.
(b) A fire.
(c) A Nazi officer.
(d) A rabid dog.
4. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are unionized.
(b) They are collectivized.
(c) They were nationalized.
(d) They are shut-down.
5. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a church.
(b) At a synagogue.
(c) Hiding in a train station.
(d) Sitting in a cafe.
6. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The American army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The British army.
(d) The Chinese army.
7. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
(a) They are executed.
(b) They are ostracized.
(c) They are fined.
(d) They are imprisoned.
8. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) An execution.
(b) Coffee and donuts.
(c) Long roll calls.
(d) Exercise sessions.
9. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
10. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
(a) It is fortified.
(b) It is burned.
(c) It is disguised as a factory.
(d) It is partially dismantled.
11. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
(a) He is imprisoned by the Nazis.
(b) He is thrown a surprise party.
(c) He escapes from the ghetto.
(d) He falls into a coma and dies.
12. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
13. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
14. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is redirected to another camp.
(b) She is gassed.
(c) She is assigned factory work.
(d) She is shot.
15. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Illegal immigrants.
(b) The elderly and destitute.
(c) Convicted criminals.
(d) Child workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Kovály at Ruda's home?
2. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
3. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
4. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
5. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)