|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
(a) They are transported in cars.
(b) They are chased by dogs.
(c) They are left to freeze to death.
(d) They are shot.
2. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They were nationalized.
(b) They are unionized.
(c) They are collectivized.
(d) They are shut-down.
3. What name does Kovály give her first child?
4. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about job opportunities abroad.
(b) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(c) News about family members who survive the war.
(d) News about political corruption in the city.
5. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
6. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The American army.
(b) The Chinese army.
(c) The Russian army.
(d) The British army.
7. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
(a) Overhearing political discussions.
(b) Anything that could be construed as disloyal to the party.
(c) Leaving their houses after dark.
(d) Wearing unfashionable clothing.
8. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
(a) As stable.
(b) As tumultuous.
(c) As a failure.
(d) A paradise.
9. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Hiding in a train station.
(c) Sitting in a cafe.
(d) At a church.
10. Who is Eva?
(a) Kovály's cousin.
(b) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(c) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
(d) A young and frail camp inmate.
11. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Rudolf Margolius.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(c) Her aunt.
12. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Politika 21.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Civic Democratic Party.
(d) The Workers Party.
13. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
14. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
(a) In the poorest Prague neighborhoods.
(b) Next door to her family.
(c) In luxury apartments.
(d) In former Jewish neighborhoods.
15. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A train station.
(b) A farmer's field.
(c) A barn.
(d) A country inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
2. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
3. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
4. Who is Jan Masaryk?
5. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)