|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
2. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
3. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
4. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(d) A young Jewish woman.
5. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
6. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
7. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He treats her with fatherly concern.
(b) He treats her like a friend.
(c) He is physically abusive.
(d) He is verbally abusive.
8. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The local resistance.
(c) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(d) The housing authority.
9. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Fighting for democracy.
(b) Rebuilding Prague.
(c) Having a family.
(d) Emigrating to America.
10. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
11. Who is Mrs. Machova?
(a) A friend who looks after Kovály's son.
(b) Ivan Kovály's teacher.
(c) Kovály's disapproving neighbor.
(d) Kovály's housekeeper.
12. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Romanian army.
(b) The American army.
(c) The Russian army.
(d) The Canadian army.
13. What is Kovály's ethnic background?
14. Which of the following does the owner of the publishers NOT instruct Kovály about?
15. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The borders are extended.
(b) The borders are reopened.
(c) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(d) The borders are closed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
2. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
3. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
4. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
5. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)