|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
(a) It would fail within months.
(b) It was more successful than it was in Russia.
(c) That is would be no different than it was in Russia.
(d) It was incorruptable.
2. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) The Lesser Quarter.
(b) St. Wenceslas Square.
(c) The Písek Gate.
(d) The Old New Synagogue.
3. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are released.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are marched westward.
(d) They are relocated via train.
4. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(d) Rudolf Margolius.
5. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
(a) Volunteer work.
(c) Argue about politics.
(d) Play cards.
6. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It rules fairly.
(b) It has no real power.
(c) It rules prosperously.
(d) It rules with terror.
7. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) The Workers Party.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Politika 21.
(d) Civic Democratic Party.
8. In the ghetto where she is taken, Kovály assists a person of which profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A physician.
(c) An artist.
(d) A writer.
9. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
(a) Heart attack.
10. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(a) A young Jewish woman.
11. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
12. What form of government does Franta want Czechoslovakia to have?
(a) A Feudalist one.
(b) A democratic one.
(c) A Communist one.
(d) An absolute monarchy.
13. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
(a) A farming job.
(b) A teaching job.
(c) A factory job.
(d) A banking job.
14. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A fire.
(b) A loan shark.
(c) A Nazi officer.
(d) A rabid dog.
15. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
2. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
3. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
4. In what year is the ghetto liquidated?
5. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)