|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
(a) Five months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
3. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Having a family.
(b) Fighting for democracy.
(c) Rebuilding Prague.
(d) Emigrating to America.
4. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
(a) That is would be no different than it was in Russia.
(b) It would fail within months.
(c) It was more successful than it was in Russia.
(d) It was incorruptable.
5. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
6. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(b) The borders are reopened.
(c) The borders are extended.
(d) The borders are closed.
7. Who is Franz?
(a) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(b) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(c) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(d) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
8. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A rabid dog.
(b) A Nazi officer.
(c) A fire.
(d) A loan shark.
9. Who greets Kovály at Ruda's home?
(a) Ruda himself.
(b) Mrs. Machova.
(c) A police officer.
10. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
(a) Studying art.
(b) Listening to the radio.
(c) Reading magazines.
(d) Writing to friends abroad.
11. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
(b) Her God-mother and God-father.
(c) Hitler and Stalin.
(d) Lenin and Marx.
12. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Rudolf Margolius.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(c) Her aunt.
13. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Physical labor.
(b) Food preparation.
(c) Drafting of maps.
(d) Cleaning duties.
14. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He treats her with fatherly concern.
(b) He treats her like a friend.
(c) He is verbally abusive.
(d) He is physically abusive.
15. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
(a) Mrs. Machova.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) Rudolf Margolius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
2. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
3. Who is Eva?
4. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
5. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)