|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Convicted criminals.
(b) Illegal immigrants.
(c) Child workers.
(d) The elderly and destitute.
2. After the end of the war, which one of Kovály's friends gives her a place to stay?
(b) None of them.
3. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Sixteen hours.
(b) Twenty hours.
(c) Eleven hours.
(d) Eight hours.
4. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
(b) Heart attack.
5. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For taking some of her money.
(b) For not being able to get her an apartment.
(c) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
(d) For turning her away when she needs help.
6. Who is Jan Masaryk?
(a) Regional Party Secretary.
(b) Deputy Minister of National Defense.
(c) The Foreign Minister.
(d) Margolius' assistant.
7. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
(a) She is awarded it in a lottery.
(b) She moves into the housing authority's offices.
(c) She waits patiently until one comes available.
(d) She lies about her identity.
8. While living in the ghetto, from what does Kovály rescue her invalid cousin?
(a) A rabid dog.
(b) A fire.
(c) A loan shark.
(d) A Nazi officer.
9. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She collapses with a fever.
(b) She is visited by a former classmate.
(c) She is arrested.
(d) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
10. Who is Franz?
(a) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(b) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(c) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
(d) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
11. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
(a) They search public records to identify returnees eligible for free housing.
(b) They build road blocks.
(c) They embrace the return.
(d) They are incapable of dealing with the confusion.
12. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
(a) Deputy Minister of Foreign Trade.
(b) Deputy Minister of State Security.
(c) Finance Minister.
(d) General Secretary.
13. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The local resistance.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(d) The housing authority.
14. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) The Soviets.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Communist Party.
(d) Nazi Germany.
15. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about job opportunities abroad.
(b) News about family members who survive the war.
(c) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(d) News about political corruption in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
2. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
3. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
4. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
5. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)