|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Kovály give her first child?
2. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about job opportunities abroad.
(b) News about political corruption in the city.
(c) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(d) News about family members who survive the war.
3. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She is arrested.
(b) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
(c) She collapses with a fever.
(d) She is visited by a former classmate.
4. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
5. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
(a) Finance Minister.
(b) Deputy Minister of Foreign Trade.
(c) Deputy Minister of State Security.
(d) General Secretary.
6. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
7. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It has no real power.
(b) It rules prosperously.
(c) It rules fairly.
(d) It rules with terror.
8. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
9. At the beginning of the book, who does Kovály name as individuals who help shape her life?
(a) Lenin and Marx.
(b) Hitler and Stalin.
(c) Rudolf Margolias and Pavel Kovály.
(d) Her God-mother and God-father.
10. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Fighting for democracy.
(b) Rebuilding Prague.
(c) Emigrating to America.
(d) Having a family.
11. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Sitting in a cafe.
(c) Hiding in a train station.
(d) At a church.
12. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Civic Democratic Party.
(b) Politika 21.
(c) The Workers Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
13. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
(a) A farming job.
(b) A factory job.
(c) A teaching job.
(d) A banking job.
14. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are imprisoned.
(b) They are turned to the streets.
(c) They are returned to their homes.
(d) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
15. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) The Lesser Quarter.
(b) The Old New Synagogue.
(c) St. Wenceslas Square.
(d) The Písek Gate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eva?
2. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
3. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
4. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
5. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály spend a lot of her time doing?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)