|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(b) A bank account number.
(c) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(d) A prayer.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
3. What happens in Prague on May 5th, 1945?
(a) A great fire destroys much of Prague.
(b) An uprising against the Nazis in Czechoslovakia.
(c) Kovály gives birth to her first child.
(d) Kovály is discovered and taken into custody.
4. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(a) Art editor.
(c) Production artist.
5. What is the most appealing form of government for the majority of Czechs following the war?
6. What is said to happen to people in Prague who harbor fugitives?
(a) They are ostracized.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are imprisoned.
(d) They are fined.
7. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Plant flowers.
(b) Enjoy the springtime.
(c) Visit with friends.
(d) Visit the library.
8. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
(a) He is physically abusive.
(b) He treats her like a friend.
(c) He is verbally abusive.
(d) He treats her with fatherly concern.
9. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
10. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) With hostility.
(b) With great deference.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With affection.
11. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
(a) A dead SS Soldier.
(b) Children playing.
(c) Flowers in bloom.
(d) Nazi propaganda posters being torn down.
12. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The British army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The Chinese army.
(d) The American army.
13. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Rebuilding Prague.
(b) Having a family.
(c) Emigrating to America.
(d) Fighting for democracy.
14. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(b) The borders are closed.
(c) The borders are extended.
(d) The borders are reopened.
15. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's acquaintances is shot?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
2. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
3. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
4. What do most of Kovály's friends offer her when she visits?
5. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)