|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Food preparation.
(b) Physical labor.
(c) Drafting of maps.
(d) Cleaning duties.
2. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Twenty hours.
(b) Eleven hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
3. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
(a) They are transported in cars.
(b) They are left to freeze to death.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are chased by dogs.
4. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) Coffee and donuts.
(b) An execution.
(c) Long roll calls.
(d) Exercise sessions.
5. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
(b) Heart attack.
6. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine months.
7. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
(a) Flowers in bloom.
(b) Nazi propaganda posters being torn down.
(c) A dead SS Soldier.
(d) Children playing.
8. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
(b) A young Jewish woman.
9. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
(a) He escapes from the ghetto.
(b) He is thrown a surprise party.
(c) He falls into a coma and dies.
(d) He is imprisoned by the Nazis.
10. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
(a) They pool their money and prepare a place for her to stay.
(b) They are gone.
(c) They notify the Gestapo of her return.
(d) They are terrified of being seen with her.
11. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
12. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) The local Rabbi.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Rudolf Margolius.
13. In which country is Kovály born?
14. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
(a) As tumultuous.
(b) As stable.
(c) As a failure.
(d) A paradise.
15. Which army reaches Prague in May 1945?
(a) The Canadian army.
(b) The Russian army.
(c) The American army.
(d) The Romanian army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
2. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
3. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
4. In which country is the ghetto that Kovály and her family are taken located?
5. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)