|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Political discussions.
(c) The outside world.
(d) Her son.
2. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She collapses with a fever.
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She is visited by a former classmate.
(d) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
3. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
(a) The borders are closed.
(b) The Soviet Union stations their armies at the borders.
(c) The borders are reopened.
(d) The borders are extended.
4. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Soviets.
(d) Nazi Germany.
5. What happens to people who cannot keep up as the camp was evacuated?
(a) They are left to freeze to death.
(b) They are shot.
(c) They are chased by dogs.
(d) They are transported in cars.
6. What is the reality of the Russian government?
(a) It has no real power.
(b) It rules prosperously.
(c) It rules fairly.
(d) It rules with terror.
7. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The Chinese army.
(b) The British army.
(c) The Russian army.
(d) The American army.
8. What group of people does Kovály say many industrialists think comprise the workforces during the war?
(a) Child workers.
(b) The elderly and destitute.
(c) Convicted criminals.
(d) Illegal immigrants.
9. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
(a) It is disguised as a factory.
(b) It is burned.
(c) It is partially dismantled.
(d) It is fortified.
10. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
11. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A Red Cross worker.
(b) A man.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A police officer.
12. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Civic Democratic Party.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) Politika 21.
(d) The Workers Party.
13. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are returned to their homes.
(b) They are imprisoned.
(c) They are turned to the streets.
(d) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
14. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Visit with friends.
(b) Plant flowers.
(c) Visit the library.
(d) Enjoy the springtime.
15. Who is Eva?
(a) Kovály's cousin.
(b) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(c) A young and frail camp inmate.
(d) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Margolius secure in the government?
2. How do Kovály's friends begin to treat her after Margolius accepts his high-ranking government job?
3. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
4. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
5. What happens to Kovály's cousin days after she rescues him?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)