|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Soviets.
2. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Sixteen hours.
(c) Twenty hours.
(d) Eleven hours.
3. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
4. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
5. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For turning her away when she needs help.
(b) For taking some of her money.
(c) For not being able to get her an apartment.
(d) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
6. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A country inn.
(b) A farmer's field.
(c) A barn.
(d) A train station.
7. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Politika 21.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Workers Party.
(d) Civic Democratic Party.
8. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The local resistance.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The housing authority.
(d) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
9. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are imprisoned.
(b) They are returned to their homes.
(c) They are turned to the streets.
(d) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
10. What is the apartment like that Kovály is assigned?
11. What does Kovály want to focus on besides getting involved with the Communist Party?
(a) Rebuilding Prague.
(b) Emigrating to America.
(c) Fighting for democracy.
(d) Having a family.
12. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
(a) Production artist.
(b) Art editor.
13. What happens to Kovály's mother on arrival at the concentration camp?
(a) She is gassed.
(b) She is shot.
(c) She is assigned factory work.
(d) She is redirected to another camp.
14. How does Kovály get herself an apartment after the end of the war?
(a) She is awarded it in a lottery.
(b) She waits patiently until one comes available.
(c) She lies about her identity.
(d) She moves into the housing authority's offices.
15. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about family members who survive the war.
(b) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
(c) News about political corruption in the city.
(d) News about job opportunities abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
2. Kovály discovers that the politicians wives are afraid of doing what?
3. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
4. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
5. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)