|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) The outside world.
(b) Her son.
(c) Political discussions.
(d) Her friends.
2. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Sitting in a cafe.
(c) At a church.
(d) Hiding in a train station.
3. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
4. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
5. Who is Franz?
(a) A man Kovály knows from her old neighborhood.
(b) A Nazi guard who often acts as executioner.
(c) A Nazi guard who gives food to the camp inmates.
(d) A Nazi guard who occasionally lets prisoners escape.
6. What is clear about Communism in Czechoslovakia by the end of 1949?
(a) It would fail within months.
(b) It was more successful than it was in Russia.
(c) That is would be no different than it was in Russia.
(d) It was incorruptable.
7. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The local resistance.
(b) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(c) The housing authority.
(d) The Red Cross.
8. What happens to many of the people who return to Prague from the concentration camps?
(a) They are turned to the streets.
(b) They are returned to their homes.
(c) They are given free housing outside of Prague.
(d) They are imprisoned.
9. In which country is Kovály born?
10. Surviving the initial selection at Auschwitz, Kovály is assigned what work?
(a) Cleaning duties.
(b) Drafting of maps.
(c) Food preparation.
(d) Physical labor.
11. Who is Eva?
(a) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(b) Kovály's cousin.
(c) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
(d) A young and frail camp inmate.
12. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
(b) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(c) They follow a river out of Germany.
(d) They receive help from a Greman officer.
13. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
(c) Heart attack.
14. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
15. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
(a) For not being able to get her an apartment.
(b) For taking some of her money.
(c) For turning her away when she needs help.
(d) For turning her in to the Gestapo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
2. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
3. Without work to do, what is said that people do all day?
4. What position for a publisher does Kovály secure for herself in 1946?
5. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)