|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(c) Mrs. Machova.
2. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
(a) Rudolf Margolius.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(d) Her aunt.
3. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about family members who survive the war.
(b) News about political corruption in the city.
(c) News about job opportunities abroad.
(d) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
4. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are relocated via train.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are released.
(d) They are marched westward.
5. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
(a) Five months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two months.
6. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They were nationalized.
(b) They are collectivized.
(c) They are shut-down.
(d) They are unionized.
7. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
8. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) At a synagogue.
(b) Sitting in a cafe.
(c) Hiding in a train station.
(d) At a church.
9. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
(c) Heart attack.
10. After returning to Prague, Kovály receives a note from Ruda that contains what?
(a) Directions for avoiding the Gestapo.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A bank account number.
11. What supply is said to be scarce and often withheld from the people in the camp?
(b) Toilet paper.
12. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
13. While attempting to escape, which of Kovály's group momentarily pleads with the others to go back?
14. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) Politika 21.
(b) The Workers Party.
(c) Civic Democratic Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
15. In 1947 and early 1948, from what does Kovály isolate herself?
(a) Her friends.
(b) The outside world.
(c) Her son.
(d) Political discussions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the living conditions in the ghetto?
2. What does Kovály find out about her friends when she returns to Prague?
3. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
4. How does Kovály travel to Prague after reaching the outskirts of the city?
5. In 1941, to which ghetto is Kovály and her family taken?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)