|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what do workdays in the camp typically begin and end?
(a) An execution.
(b) Exercise sessions.
(c) Long roll calls.
(d) Coffee and donuts.
2. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Loot and riot.
(c) Pawn their possessions.
(d) Take all their money from the banks.
3. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(b) He is indifferent to his role.
(c) He does his work without conviction.
(d) He is devoted to it.
4. For how many months is Kovály hidden by the resistance?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Nine months.
5. Which group does Kovály contact after receiving the note from Ruda?
(a) The local resistance.
(b) The Czech Union of Jewish Students.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The housing authority.
6. How long is a typical workday in the camp?
(a) Eleven hours.
(b) Twenty hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
7. To help haul ammunition, Kovály disguises herself as what?
(a) A Red Cross worker.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A man.
8. After wandering Prague looking for help, where does Kovály find herself doubting her faith in God?
(a) Hiding in a train station.
(b) At a synagogue.
(c) Sitting in a cafe.
(d) At a church.
9. In what year does Kovály's have a baby?
10. During her time in hiding, what does Kovály wish she could go outside to do?
(a) Enjoy the springtime.
(b) Visit the library.
(c) Plant flowers.
(d) Visit with friends.
11. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(d) Mrs. Machova.
12. Who is Eva?
(a) Kovály's cousin.
(b) A camp inmate who is shot for stealing food.
(c) A young and frail camp inmate.
(d) A Jewish nurse who looks after the inmates.
13. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
(a) The Russian army.
(b) The Chinese army.
(c) The British army.
(d) The American army.
14. Which area does the escaped women enter after leaving Nazi Germany?
(b) The Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.
15. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Franz treat Eva at the camp?
2. What happens to Kovály's camp as the allied forces advance upon it?
3. Following the end of the war, how do the Prague civil authorities handle the return of concentration camp prisoners?
4. Who is Franz?
5. Who moves into Kovály's apartment with her?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)