|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose hometown does the escape party dissolve?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Kovály when she arrives at the camp?
3. Where are the camp inmates staying when Kovály and her acquaintances decide to escape?
(a) A train station.
(b) A country inn.
(c) A barn.
(d) A farmer's field.
4. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
(a) He is devoted to it.
(b) He is indifferent to his role.
(c) He feels he is working against Czechoslovakia's best interests.
(d) He does his work without conviction.
5. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To Ostrava.
(b) To America.
(c) A better part of Prague.
(d) To the Soviet Union.
6. Which of Kovály's friends also returns with Franta?
(b) Mrs. Machova.
7. What happens to many smaller companies as 1948 comes to an end?
(a) They are shut-down.
(b) They were nationalized.
(c) They are collectivized.
(d) They are unionized.
8. What group does Margolius join after the war?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Workers Party.
(c) Politika 21.
(d) Civic Democratic Party.
9. In which city does Kovály grow up?
10. In addition to Jews, what other group in Kovály's home city are forcibly evacuated from the city?
(d) Roman Catholics.
11. In 1941, who occupies Kovály's home city?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Soviets.
(d) The Communist Party.
12. On one occasion, Kovály discovers the body of an acquaintance covered with what?
13. In which country is Kovály born?
14. What happens to the people who are staying in Auschwitz as the allied forces advance?
(a) They are released.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are relocated via train.
(d) They are marched westward.
15. To which camp is Kovály and her family sent when their ghetto is liquidated?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
2. Who offers Kovály an apartment where she can stay?
3. What do people begin offering Kovály after Margolius accepts a high-ranking government job?
4. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
5. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)