|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 12, 13, and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
(a) News about family members who survive the war.
(b) News about job opportunities abroad.
(c) News about political corruption in the city.
(d) News of some friends or family members' war-time demise.
2. After her illness, what does Kovály do to prepare to reenter the outside world?
(a) Kovály dyes her clothing black.
(b) Kovály devotes herself to Communism.
(c) Kovály writes letters to long-lost friends and family.
(d) Kovály learns to speak Russian.
3. Faced with a bad economy, what do people do a few months before the end of the war?
(a) Loot and riot.
(b) Pawn their possessions.
(d) Take all their money from the banks.
4. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
(a) Jail time.
(b) Official hazing.
(c) Termination of employment.
(d) Financial ruin.
5. Which of the following is one place Kovály works during the war?
(a) A kitchen.
(b) An office.
(c) A clinic.
(d) A brick factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Franta seek forgiveness from Kovály?
2. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
3. Who is Jan Masaryk?
4. How do many people believe Masaryk dies?
5. In 1941, with whom does Kovály live in the ghetto where she is taken?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)