|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 12, 13, and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens economically in Czechoslovakia as Communism takes hold?
(a) Economic activity returns to its pre-war levels.
(b) The economy grows by fifty percent.
(c) The economy slows to a crawl.
(d) The economy booms.
2. How is Russia portrayed to the Czech people?
(a) As tumultuous.
(b) As a failure.
(c) As stable.
(d) A paradise.
3. When Margolias' trial begins, how long has it been since his arrest?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Fifteen months.
4. Who is Rudolf Slánský?
(a) A Russian diplomat.
(b) Margolius' underling.
(c) A Communist politician.
(d) A resistance leader.
5. What does Kovály notice about nearly all the people arrested by the government?
(a) They are middle-level politicians.
(b) They are former resistance members.
(c) They are unmarried men.
(d) They are Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
2. Which army is said to be advancing westward in late 1944?
3. What news arrives for Kovály almost daily after the war?
4. This is the only Jewish person Kovály knew before the war who returns to Prague?
5. What does Kovály see while walking by a river that brings the war to a personal conclusion?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)