|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 12, 13, and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
(a) Military lotting to declare war on the Soviet Union.
(b) Volunteer work.
(c) Widespread corruption.
(d) Planning to create job opportunities.
2. Listening to Margolius on the radio, what does Kovály realize about what he says?
(a) That he sounds ill.
(b) That it is a memorized speech.
(c) That he is holding back tears.
(d) That it is not her husband speaking.
3. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka bribes a doctor.
(b) Marenka causes a public scene.
(c) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(d) Marenka pays for the treatment.
4. Where does the Margolius family move after Rudolf accepts his high-ranking government job?
(a) To Ostrava.
(b) To the Soviet Union.
(c) A better part of Prague.
(d) To America.
5. Where does Kovály realize some important Communist officers live?
(a) In former Jewish neighborhoods.
(b) Next door to her family.
(c) In luxury apartments.
(d) In the poorest Prague neighborhoods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan promise his mother when he finally returns from the country?
2. Which of the following does not describe the political gatherings Kovály attended with her husband?
3. At his trial, to what crime does Margolius confess?
4. To what are the families of arrested individuals subjected?
5. Which of Kovály's friends promises absolute assistance under any circumstance?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)