|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 12, 13, and 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the escaped women able to cross the border out of Nazi Germany?
(a) They follow a river out of Germany.
(b) They sneak across a border checkpoint.
(c) They hide in the back of an army truck.
(d) They receive help from a Greman officer.
2. Where does Kovály see a mass demonstration in 1948?
(a) St. Wenceslas Square.
(b) The Lesser Quarter.
(c) The Old New Synagogue.
(d) The Písek Gate.
3. What is one reason Ivan is sent to stay in the country occasionally?
(a) To avoid the dangers of the city.
(b) To recover from tuberculosis.
(c) To study at a prestigious school.
(d) To put on weight.
4. After finding a place to stay, what immediately happens to Kovály?
(a) She collapses with a fever.
(b) She is visited by a former classmate.
(c) She is sent new clothes and a small amount of money.
(d) She is arrested.
5. How does Marenka secure hospitalization for Kovály?
(a) Marenka causes a public scene.
(b) Marenka's sister works at the hospital.
(c) Marenka pays for the treatment.
(d) Marenka bribes a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of job does an old friend in the country urge Margolius to turn?
2. How does Margolius feel about his work for the Communist Party?
3. While party officials publicly extol the virtues of proletariat work, what is going on in secret among government officials?
4. What happens to the national borders as 1948 end?
5. What book does Margolius tell Kovály he has read and enjoyed.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)