|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The case study in Chapter 8 of the girl with body issues concludes showing this young woman succeeds in marrying but not without a conflict about whether to do what regarding her mother?
(a) Speak to her again.
(b) Introduce her to her husband.
(c) Allow her to see her grandchildren.
(d) Invite her to the wedding.
2. Perhaps one case from Chapter 6 did not want to be a mother but had no recourse other than to plead a kind of insanity so that the others would take control from her, or she possibly was mentally ill. What was she labeled with?
(a) Borderline personality disorder.
(c) Bipolar disorder.
3. Erickson gently refuses to help the man who had the stroke again in Chapter 9, claiming that even though it worked before, her husband is probably _____for his therapy to be effective.
(a) Too stubborn.
(b) Too old.
(c) Not willing.
(d) Too hurt.
4. One extreme example of dependency in Chapter 8 is when a young woman goes off to college and her parents build an addition to the house so she can live there while she is an adult, including when?
(a) After they've died.
(b) After college.
(c) After she's disowned them.
(d) After marriage.
5. Erickson keyed into the young woman from the car accident's problems when after much probing, he learned that an elder sister had left home, married against the parents' wishes and was now ______.
(a) Going to have a baby.
(c) In rehab.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one case in Chapter 7, Erickson deals with a woman who feels what sensation in the bedroom?
2. Chapter 9 deals with what aspect of life?
3. Haley notes in Chapter 8 that people may or may not recognize that they need to be _______ their own children.
4. It stated in Chapter 7 that Erickson recognized that normally the problem was indicative not only of a trouble with _____ but also in social conditions and other influences.
5. The first example Haley gives in Chapter 9 involves a man with an intense fear of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
2. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
3. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
4. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
5. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
6. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
7. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
8. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
9. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
10. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)