|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Erickson would use his position to effect a beneficial ______ that leaves the couple reoriented into their new and improved dynamic and empowers them to go back to leaving out the therapist.
2. Haley reports that power struggles about who is _____ in a marriage are quite normal during the early years.
3. For some parents the transition from being a parent into _________ actually makes it easier for over involved parents to let go of their own offspring.
(a) Empty nesters.
(b) Growing old.
(c) None of the answers is correct..
(d) Being a grandparent.
4. Perhaps one case from Chapter 6 did not want to be a mother but had no recourse other than to plead a kind of insanity so that the others would take control from her, or she possibly was mentally ill. What was she labeled with?
(b) Borderline personality disorder.
(d) Bipolar disorder.
5. Part of Erickson's method is not to ________. This is described as being on the service of truth and unity even though it may sound artificial. He does this consistently as a rule of thumb.
(a) Uniformly side with the same family member.
(b) Tell the immediate truth.
(c) See one patient solely.
(d) See the entire family.
Short Answer Questions
1. One example in Chapter 8 is a case where a teenager is _______ because she relates the fact that her mother has been having an affair with a local wealthy man.
2. The parents in Chapter 8 who had dependency issues revisited the therapist when their daughter became ______. They weren't sure how often they should visit.
3. Haley notes in Chapter 8 that people may or may not recognize that they need to be _______ their own children.
4. Erickson would combine acceptance of the patient's condition upon entering treatment with hypnosis and ______ modes of intervention.
5. The therapists of the 19th-century noticed that there was something deeper going on; here Mesmer and ____ are used as examples
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
2. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
3. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
4. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
5. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
6. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
7. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
8. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
9. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
10. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)