|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Erickson's use of hypnosis is shown through these case studies to be ______.
(a) Somewhat effective.
(d) Highly effective.
2. When the post-partum mother does receive therapy, the reasons for why she is so upset about becoming a mother are discussed and where possible her _____.
(a) Husband is relieved.
(b) Child is cared for.
(c) Fears are soothed.
(d) In-laws are involved.
3. Where was the man from whom Erickson helped to walk in Chapter 9?
4. In Erickson's case in Chapter 6 which involved the boy's bed-wetting problem, Erickson suggested that if he didn't wet the bed for a month his parents were obligated to get him what?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A new bed.
(c) A bike.
(d) A kitten.
5. The elderly man in Chapter 9 is first roused from nearly a full year in bed by being _______ by his therapist.
(a) Offered food.
(b) Verbally tormented.
(c) Whispered to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson notes in Chapter 8 that when you start defending "my rights," you become a what?
2. Erickson cites examples of a couple that ceased to have an alcohol problem when they did what on weekends?
3. Knowledge of Erickson's inaccurate perceptions of the husband has been intentionally sent home through whom/what?
4. In some cases in Chapter 8, one or more parents would interfere or remove the patient from therapy once what?
5. Attendance at therapy permits Erickson to instruct the couple through an intervention how to enable them to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
2. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
3. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
4. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
5. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
6. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
7. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
8. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
9. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
10. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)